• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Fox1304

Headphones need to stop having deals ...
Just bought a Spirit One for 59€, I think I might have a problem ( and will definitely have one with the wife ).

bobohoro

I'd guess he meant 159€? Or else he really should post the deal, would be pretty incredible.

My delivery of the ADL H118 is late. Have to wait until monday for them to arrive, really looking forward to them.

ntropy

hey guys, i'm looking to replace my sony mdr-xd200 (rip)
i just want something as comfortable.

i actually bought the mdr-xd200 for like 30 bucks USD on Amazon several years ago and now it's inflated sharply in price ($200 bucks new on Amazon now)

terrible

Banned
hd650 is the fun bassier drunk cousin of the HD600.

I auditioned both for quite a while (borrowed them) and I liked the 650s a fair bit more. I felt like they were the same as the 600s just with more pronounced bass. They were as refined and I didn't notice the "veil". That's why I bought my HD650s and I haven't been even slightly disappointed. I haven't gone this long without wanting to upgrade ever lol.

I just wish the build quality and comfort was a little better. Beyers spoiled me pretty bad. Though now I'm curious of the Philips Fidelio X2 especially if they're HD600-tier that Tyll says.

I guess it depends on the shape of your head but the 600/650s are way more comfortable than Beyers to me. The top of my head starts hurting fairly quickly with my 880s and 990s. Every part is easily replaceable in the 600/650s too so build quality isn't much of an issue imo.

I went to Bic Camera yesterday and tried out probably close to 30 headphones over a course of a couple hours. I didn't expect them to have the Fischer Audio FA-003 aka Brainwavz HM5 aka Lindy aka Jaycar, and they didn't but I was surprised to see some Fischer IEMs (which I found to veiled and bassy) but I digress.

I was most surprised about a fun little set of on-ear phones by Philips, the SHL5300.
phband-158627.jpg

SHL5300RD.jpg

Sub $50, clearly V shaped sound signature with nice punchy bass and clear highs. They played poppy and bass heavy music wonderfully. They failed at folky acoustic midrange leaning music though. Still, really fun phones that would be great while out and about. Honestly, I'm not qualified to say whether or not they're good, but I liked 'em :).

HiResDes

I went to Bic Camera yesterday and tried out probably close to 30 headphones over a course of a couple hours. I didn't expect them to have the Fischer Audio FA-003 aka Brainwavz HM5 aka Lindy aka Jaycar, and they didn't but I was surprised to see some Fischer IEMs (which I found to veiled and bassy) but I digress.

I was most surprised about a fun little set of on-ear phones by Philips, the SHL5300.

Sub $50, clearly V shaped sound signature with nice punchy bass and clear highs. They played poppy and bass heavy music wonderfully. They failed at folky acoustic midrange leaning music though. Still, really fun phones that would be great while out and about. Honestly, I'm not qualified to say whether or not they're good, but I liked 'em :).

Ain't nothing wrong with have something more fun and v-shaped. Don't let others tell you that neutrality is always superior. Go with what you like for sure. Also there's another HM5 clone you missed, NVX XPT100 lol.

Ain't nothing wrong with have something more fun and v-shaped. Don't let others tell you that neutrality is always superior. Go with what you like for sure. Also there's another HM5 clone you missed, NVX XPT100 lol.
That's some good advice. If I can find those Philips somewhere cheaper than $50 I'll definitely pick them up. $35 would be perfect for them.

Lol, I've never hear of the NVX XPT100. There's a lot of those clones. HM5 seems like the best package though.

hitgirl

Bluetooth headphones....are they worth it for the gym?

If so what are some good brands?

I'm thinking about getting bluetooth headphone for the gym. Can't stand stepping on my cord or having it get stuck in the middle of a set. I've had my eye on the Bose bluetooth soundlinks, expensive but they are nice. They are not gym headphones but I don't sweat a ton in the gym, mostly just pumping iron.

I'm thinking about the Blueburds though too.

ahoyle77

So help me heaphone gaf...my son decided he wants a set of Beats for Christmas. Think I am going to get him the Studios for 200. Any other recommendations. I know Beats arent the best bang for your buck, but reviews seem pretty decent. Thanks!

LCfiner

So help me heaphone gaf...my son decided he wants a set of Beats for Christmas. Think I am going to get him the Studios for 200. Any other recommendations. I know Beats arent the best bang for your buck, but reviews seem pretty decent. Thanks!

edit.

the solo 2 are supposed to be a good improvement over the previous models. some people have liked them more than the new (or old) studio models

ahoyle77

edit.

the solo 2 are supposed to be a good improvement over the previous models. some people have liked them more than the new (or old) studio models

I need to check the model number on Best Buys black friday sale. I figured it would be the newer model.

HiResDes

Yeah he might be disappointed with anything that aren't Beats due to their state as a status symbol.

However the Phiaton MS400 are still a good alternative that sounds a bit better. If you're okay with going over budget the V-MODA M100 are great sounding with some good bass too. There's also the M50x, which everybody seems to love.

Does he want beats because they look cool or because they sound good? What is he pairing them with (source)?

They are the apple product of the headphones world - overpriced and inferior to 90% of other headphones anywhere near their price range...but people think they look good and they sell well.

ahoyle77

I think a little of both (looks/sound). He will use them with his phone and tablet (htc one and nexus 7). I asked him about alternatives and he said he would want to see them first. My wife says to just get him the beats, that Im over thinking it, whichI tend to do on expensive electronics.

HiResDes

I think a little of both (looks/sound). He will use them with his phone and tablet (htc one and nexus 7). I asked him about alternatives and he said he would want to see them first. My wife says to just get him the beats, that Im over thinking it, whichI tend to do on expensive electronics.
Get his opinion on the ones I showed you.

OK if those are the source material then it wont make too much of a difference - just get him what he wants in the colour he wants it in. I dont think getting a really nice set of headphones will matter too much if you are listening to MP3 on N7 or an HTC One.

X-Frame

Hey everyone, I currently have the V-Sonic GR06 earphones and they seem to be dying so I am looking for a replacement for something new that is similarly priced and the same type of High Fidelity kind.

I listen to a lot of post-metal, post-rock, prog / melodic metal, rock, etc.

Any recommendations? Thank you!

EDIT: I saw that they came out with a GR07 version of the ones I have. $99 though as opposed to be re-buying the same ones for $55. Worth it or should I still look elsewhere? My GR06's lasted over 2 years which is amazing in my experience.

HiResDes

Hey everyone, I currently have the V-Sonic GR06 earphones and they seem to be dying so I am looking for a replacement for something new that is similarly priced and the same type of High Fidelity kind.

I listen to a lot of post-metal, post-rock, prog / melodic metal, rock, etc.

Any recommendations? Thank you!

EDIT: I saw that they came out with a GR07 version of the ones I have. $99 though as opposed to be re-buying the same ones for $55. Worth it or should I still look elsewhere? My GR06's lasted over 2 years which is amazing in my experience.
Yeah that's a good deal for the price for sure. I'd also check out the Zero Audio Tenore and Fidue A63, which are incredible values.

X-Frame

Yeah that's a good deal for the price for sure. I'd also check out the Zero Audio Tenore and Fidue A63, which are incredible values.

Thanks! And just to clarify, you're saying $99 for the 07's are worth the price or did you mean the 06's for $55.

And I'll check out the others too.

tokkun

Tread carefully. This sounds like a classic Uncool Dad move. Don't make him that kid who has to explain to his friends that New Balance are actually a much better value than Jordans.

Honestly, I think you should get him the Beats. I'm sure he'll be happiest with them.

HiResDes

Agreed, haha.

And I'm going to order from LendMeUrEars because I hear it is a good store to buy from. I got the 06's from eBay but like to buy from a store if possible in case of any issues.
Oh word check out the Ostry KC06 on the site as well good deal.

X-Frame

Oh word check out the Ostry KC06 on the site as well good deal.

Thank you! I checked them out but ended up grabbing the 07's after reading a lot of great reviews.

Last question, is there possibly a list of things to check to see if I can get my 06's working again? It must be something I did, because it worked fine yesterday, then today the left one went out and then now both are out. If not no big deal, just wondering if there is a common list of fixable problems that isn't a cord issue.

hitgirl

Got some Jaybird Bluebuds X for the gym, really like that no wires.

What is the best noise cancelling over the ear set of cans? Im considering the Bose Quietpoint 15 for around 250.

I did some pretty extensive testing and as much as I wanted to avoid the Bose I ended up with the QC25. No one else can compare.

hitgirl

Did you try the Parrott Zik 2.0 ? Heard some really good things,on those.

I could not get my hands on the Parrott Zik 2.0, I don't think it is out yet. They were my first choice but couldn't get hands on with them. I'm very interested though because I really don't like being tethered to a device with a cord.

FFFFFFUUUUUU....

I had to wait until today to order the Brainwavz HM5s from mp4nation for a couple reasons. I just went to order them and the price is back up from $99 to $139. I contacted their customer support to see if I could still get them for $99 but they said no. I'm pretty disappointed :(. Hopefully they put them on sale again this year.

HiResDes

FFFFFFUUUUUU....

I had to wait until today to order the Brainwavz HM5s from mp4nation for a couple reasons. I just went to order them and the price is back up from $99 to $139. I contacted their customer support to see if I could still get them for $99 but they said no. I'm pretty disappointed :(. Hopefully they put them on sale again this year.
Yeah I figured you realized that was a special with the extra set of pads and ordered them then... Not sure why you would wait.

Yeah I figured you realized that was a special with the extra set of pads and ordered them then... Not sure why you would wait.
I couldn't order them until today. It was just bad timing. I missed it by a couple hours.

Edit: I just want to add that mp4nation answered my question really quickly, in less than an hour. Pretty impressive customer service. Also I noticed they have a price alert system so they'll let you know when something you want goes on sale. Definitely a nice feature. And dangerous because I'll probably do price alerts for a lot of stuff :).

Top Bottom