• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Man, I am just having no luck with mp4nation. So I missed that $99 HM5 sale by a couple hours on Monday. After much debate I ordered the HM5+FiiO E17 bundle yesterday (Thursday), even though I didn't feel like I needed an amp right now. I didn't want to pay $140 for just the HM5s so $209 for both them and the E17 seemed acceptable. I received the bundle just now (that's some FAST international shipping) but now I see the HM5s are back on sale for $99! And even the bundle I ordered is on sale for $189.

So now I'm trying to decide what to do. Do you guys think the FiiO E17 is worth keeping? Like I said I wasn't planning on getting it in the first place. But, if it's worth it, I'll keep it and just ask for a refund for the difference in price. My other option is to send everything back for a refund and rebuy the HM5s. The website says I can't only send the FiiO back since it's part of a bundle.

Edit: The sound stage is much better with the E17. I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Friggz

Fjordson

Think those HD598s will be good for listening to hip-hop?
Depends on how you want to hear it. They're not bass heavy at all, especially without an amp, so you may not enjoy them for hip-hop.

I think they sound great and I listen to a lot of hip-hop, but I like neutral headphones. Nice and open and super bright. Some of the comfiest headphones I've ever used also.

So again, really just depends on what you're looking for. For anyone not overly concerned with heavy bass and who doesn't mind open headphones (meaning sound leakage) that 598 deal is crazy good.

That's what I get for not logging on until a few minutes ago. It looks like they're sold out at that price. I'm mainly hoping to get something <200 bucks that's over the ear, so I'll keep watching out and comparing.

EDIT: Although I suppose I could go the safe route and just get the ATH-M50x + Amp for 150. It seems like a decent price and it comes with a decent (according to a few reviews) low-priced amp.

Grr, those X1s are looking really tempting, especially after reading a review on them that suggests that they're a good choice for gaming (which is a big chunk of how I'd be using mine). But the fact that they're open is making me hesitate. I like to kind of fall into my music and games and I like how closed phones are good with that. I may just be overreacting on it though, what I'm seeing suggests that they're great for what I'm looking for (generally all-around but with a some extra bass, something that's good for gaming/movies but still competent at different genres). I may wind up liking these a lot, and I can always get closed cans later.

Would it still be a good idea to pick up an amp with these?

was just about to mention the X1's.

one of my most favorite cans in my collection, to be sure. if you have the coin, buy with confidence.

2nd hand CEntrance DacMini. Its tiny and powerful. I have one now and am selling it but I don't think you live near me.

I think an 02+ODAC might do the job. The sparrow might also be a good suggestion

thanks for the recommendations! Phat, what state are you in?

Alright, I decided to just go for the X1's. Closed or not, what I'm reading suggests that I'll be satisfied with them, and anyways this is my first pair of "big boy" headphones, so by default they'll almost definitely be better than anything else I've had.

Still wondering about the amp, but I'll look into it later today. I might wait until I try them out and see how it all sounds, unless I see a crazy deal on something. Same for the cord. From what I've read, they don't need anything special for cord replacement, it's just that the supplied cord is pretty bad.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If it means anything, a good Open Headphone will give you a really good soundstage. That in itself will make me fall into my music or gaming more than a closed set of cans could.

was just about to mention the X1's.

one of my most favorite cans in my collection, to be sure. if you have the coin, buy with confidence.

thanks for the recommendations! Phat, what state are you in?
Im not in the USA mate. Live in dubai. However if you can the centrance is what you are looking for. Amazing piece of kit and it stereophile 5 star award and editors choice 2 years ago.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Damn, went to check and the 598s are gone again :(

I'm tempted by the X1, but it had to be cheaper since at the discount price it very likely won't make it past customs... what to do...

Also, the Astro A40 is coming up on Amazon's lighting deals, since it's not on the OP list I'll assume it's not worth it? What about the amp on its own (the MixAmp Pro)?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'll be skipping on the X1 because my wallet has taken a beating since ordering the HD700's. I'll try and get the X2 when it is on sale sometime in the future.

it might have been posted but buysonic had 30% off all headphones. i need to start being a regular of this thread.

https://www.buysonic.com/deal-categories/sennheiser/
Is this site legit? I'm getting the hd800s at that price.

FUCK SAKE. FUCKING American billing addresses only. Fucking IDIOTS.

Edit: Looks like my purchase got through with Paypal - cheers mate. Got the set of HD800's for $999 USD which is a really good price.

For anyone wanting to test out their headphone range/DAC - i suggest you go here:

http://designwsound.com/dwsblog/recordings/audiophile-jazz-prologue-3-free-hi-res-samples/

Sign up (free) and download the track called "Lush Life" which is 384khz and also you can get the DSD file. You will need something like Jriver to play it.

the 384khz is around 615MB, the DSD is 189MB.

Amazing track with just bass guitar, vocals and acoustic guitar - really good for testing how your phones image.

Fevaweva

Headphone-GAF I need some help.

My Yuin PK3s are dying and I need some new headphones. Thing is, I don't like the big over ear headphones, nor the proper in-ear headphones. I prefer the ones you use earbuds because...well I find the former too bulky and sweaty, whilst the latter hurt my ears and I like to have peripheral hearing.

Any recommendations for my hideously outdated needs?

HiResDes

My wife is looking for some headphones for watching tv. She used to have the Sennheiser 120, but those broke. She was never a huge fan of them since the signal was never that great and would frequently have static. I have the Sennheiser 160s, and while they sounded great, anytime someone would use the microwave they were pretty much unusable.

I guess the first question is are there any good rf headphones that don't have a lot of static?

Second question, are there any digital headphones where the signal doesn't turn to Swiss cheese when using a microwave?

She wants wireless, so any wired headphones are out of the question.

Any ideas Gaf?

Top Bottom