• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Does the ragnarok have the balanced input? I couldn't see it on there and I think its critical to driving power hungry headphones like the LCD 3 and the HD 800s.

Insomnium

Does the ragnarok have the balanced input? I couldn't see it on there and I think its critical to driving power hungry headphones like the LCD 3 and the HD 800s.

Yes they do, in fact it is recommended to use balance input as it sounds better. Rag is capable of powering even speakers so I dont think LCD 3 will be a problem. HD800 is npt really a power hungry headphone, it is just difficult to find an amp that "synergize" well with it since it is bloody ruthless :p

Yes they do, in fact it is recommended to use balance input as it sounds better. Rag is capable of powering even speakers so I dont think LCD 3 will be a problem. HD800 is npt really a power hungry headphone, it is just difficult to find an amp that "synergize" well with it since it is bloody ruthless :p
Will have a look man. Everything else has been purchased it is just the amp that I need to decide on.

Also, I'm not that cluey on headphone amps. If you compare this to the OPPO ha-1, which is more powerful?

And is this like the OPPO in that I just need one unit? Ie it is a DAC/amp/headphone amp in one?

Insomnium

Also, I'm not that cluey on headphone amps. If you compare this to the OPPO ha-1, which is more powerful?

And is this like the OPPO in that I just need one unit? Ie it is a DAC/amp/headphone amp in one?

In term of power, both will be able to run any headphones you throw at them fine. More power doesn't necessarily mean better sound. However, the Ragnarok will require another DAC to feed it hence the investment cost will be (much) higher compare to the OPPO.

In term of power, both will be able to run any headphones you throw at them fine. More power doesn't necessarily mean better sound. However, the Ragnarok will require another DAC to feed it hence the investment cost will be (much) higher compare to the OPPO.
I thought the ragnarok was an all in one unit?

I've also noticed no USB port on the back so is that what you mean about having another DAC?

Cheers for the info mate. I'm still evaluating but am leaning more towards the OPPO as it is a really great piece of kit for the price and I just want it to run my audeze and hd800s.

Lombax

Banned
Morning Ear Goggle GAF,

I need some help picking a pair of ear-buds.

Requirements:

- I have tiny ears so they need to fit and be comfortable. As an example I recently purchased a pair of Xiaomi 2nd Piston's and they flat out do not fit / fall out all the time.

- I'd like to keep the price reasonable. I'm not an earbud guy, but I need something to use on the subway (no need for noise cancelation).
Would these be a good choice? or is there something better / cheaper?

Thank you.

Love,

./Lombax

Insomnium

Morning Ear Goggle GAF,

Requirements:

- I have tiny ears so they need to fit and be comfortable. As an example I recently purchased a pair of Xiaomi 2nd Piston's and they flat out do not fit / fall out all the time.

- I'd like to keep the price reasonable. I'm not an earbud guy, but I need something to use on the subway (no need for noise cancelation).

Thank you.

Love,

./Lombax
What are the genres you often listen to? Do you like your earphone to be bassy with all the ohm-ohm-ohm or you want it to be balance or you want it to be clear so you can pick out the little details in the song? If you are into bassy stuff, ATH IM50 is a good pick ( it has detachable cable as well so it's a plus :D) but if you prefer the latter then this is a terrific earphone that, in my opinion, beats everything under $200-$300 range (for me that is). I still use it very often as it complements my Noble K10 very well.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I'd go for Astros headset myself if budget allows, but the MixAmp Pro is also good

how much is your budget? Golds are pretty good even at full price
Depends on who is the seller :p
Customs can be difficult here, so either ~$150 in the US or whatever amazon ships globally.

Lombax

Banned
What are the genres you often listen to? Do you like your earphone to be bassy with all the ohm-ohm-ohm or you want it to be balance or you want it to be clear so you can pick out the little details in the song? If you are into bassy stuff, ATH IM50 is a good pick ( it has detachable cable as well so it's a plus :D) but if you prefer the latter then this is a terrific earphone that, in my opinion, beats everything under $200-$300 range (for me that is). I still use it very often as it complements my Noble K10 very well.

Thank you sir, I will check them out.

HiResDes

Morning Ear Goggle GAF,

Requirements:

Thank you.

Love,

./Lombax
Try different tips

Love,

Des

wilflare

I'd go for Astros headset myself if budget allows, but the MixAmp Pro is also good

how much is your budget? Golds are pretty good even at full price

I would say get a Mixamp Pro and pair it with a good pair of cans
and perhaps get an Antlion Modmic or V-MODA Boompro if you need a mic or something

grkazan12

SONY+CASQUE+MDR+7506.JPG

Hey guys, I have been using the Sennheiser HD 598s for quite a while now, but my only problem with them is that my roommates can always hear what I'm listening to.I think the design of the 598 is fine, but they are a little too big. I love the design of MDR7506, the price is great, and I heard that they are excellent headphones.

Would the Sony MDR7506 be a good headphone to switch to?
Would it be a downgrade or upgrade coming from the HD 598?

I would be mostly using them for video games and music listening.

HiResDes

Downgrade for sure. The treble is gonna whip your ass coming from the 598s and they're pretty closed sounding even for a closed headphone.

Colin.

Hmm. Put an order in for the Vmoda M100's, but not sure if I should keep it. Plenty of conflicting information from people online, but what comes up regularly is that they're designed for bass heads, and genres like electronica, dubstep, hip hop etc. Seems to be quite a few reports of them being uncomfortable without the XL pads, and due to how much it clamps on the head.

I do like some bass, but I wouldn't consider heavy bass as a "must have" I'd just like to have good all round set of headphones, as I listen to a variety of different music. Main genres would be Rock/Alternative, Acoustic, Dance/Electronic, and Metal, if that helps any. And I'd be using them for movies and games as well. Since I'll almost exclusively be using them in the house, I'd definitely be willing to sacrifice portability, and any remote features, if it means having more comfortable and lightweight headphones. Not sure what to do, so any suggestions around the M100's price point (or less) would be appreciated.

darkwing

Hmm. Put an order in for the Vmoda M100's, but not sure if I should keep it. Plenty of conflicting information from people online, but what comes up regularly is that they're designed for bass heads, and genres like electronica, dubstep, hip hop etc. Seems to be quite a few reports of them being uncomfortable without the XL pads, and due to how much it clamps on the head.

I do like some bass, but I wouldn't consider heavy bass as a "must have" I'd just like to have good all round set of headphones, as I listen to a variety of different music. Main genres would be Rock/Alternative, Acoustic, Dance/Electronic, and Metal, if that helps any. And I'd be using them for movies and games as well. Since I'll almost exclusively be using them in the house, I'd definitely be willing to sacrifice portability, and any remote features, if it means having more comfortable and lightweight headphones. Not sure what to do, so any suggestions around the M100's price point (or less) would be appreciated.

I'd say take a look at the Sony MDR-1A, it is lightweight and very comfortable, love mine, been using it on the PS4 , it works fine for voice chat as well because of the cable with the mic

Colin.

I'd say take a look at the Sony MDR-1A, it is lightweight and very comfortable, love mine, been using it on the PS4 , it works fine for voice chat as well because of the cable with the mic

Had a look, and others impressions seems to match yours, as far as weight and comfort is concerned. Biggest gripe would probably be the ear pads not being detachable, as they can start to deteriorate overtime. Had that happen to me with a pair of Sony headphones in the past. UK is a bit limited in options to demo headphones, but I think I'll attempt to do this first, to try and narrow things down further before I spend any money.

HiResDes

Had a look, and others impressions seems to match yours, as far as weight and comfort is concerned. Biggest gripe would probably be the ear pads not being detachable, as they can start to deteriorate overtime. Had that happen to me with a pair of Sony headphones in the past. UK is a bit limited in options to demo headphones, but I think I'll attempt to do this first, to try and narrow things down further before I spend any money.
They're on ear, but I think KEF M500 would be an excellent choice. They're probably the most comfortable on ear I've ever tried too. Other good suggestions include the Yamaha MT220, Nad Viso hp50, and if you want to save a bunch of money the Brainwavz Hm5 are excellent value with incredible balance.

darkwing

Yup, maybe there would be one in a Sony store in your area? mine only had the 1R,but I loved the sound signature and based on reviews the 1A improved the lower end so I went for it

and true, the non-replaceable earpad is the only thing I don't like about it

I have an analytical earphone but this one is way more 'fun' to listen to

Ugh, FedEx sucks balls at delivering so I probably won't have my stuff until the weekend :/

They're seriously the worst delivery company ever. Wish amazon wouldn't use them.

What's a great deal for Amp or DAC for Sennheiser HD 598? I don't know what Amp or DAC is..

man best end to that question. DAC converts digital signals (like listening to an MP3/FLAC) to analogue so you can hear them on speakers/headphones - hence Digital to Analogue Converter. But i think what you want to know is what they look like. This is a very good amp/DAC for what you want:

blog_DACmini.jpg

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/centrance/1.html

this explains it.

Amp just amplifies the sound and is needed for nicer headphones that need more power to drive them.

What is your budget? What is your source? What are you listening to? DO you want portable or at home for the desktop AMP/DAC?

Fjordson

What's a great deal for Amp or DAC for Sennheiser HD 598? I don't know what Amp or DAC is..
Have you tried them without one? I've been using my phone and laptop to drive 598's for months now with no problems.

Not saying they can't benefit from one, but it's not a necessity in my opinion.

GAF has convinced me I need better headphones. I posted in the other thread but might as well post here as well.

Any good suggestions for headphones in the $75-100 range?

I do like a decent bit of bass. I would mainly use them for gaming but with music and movies too of course.

I'm currently using shitty Turtle Beach px21s that I bought back in the day so I could chat on 360, so my bar is fairly low.

Have a question. I'm currently rocking a Sennheiser HD 419--isn't very high end, very budget. I don't use an amp because I didn't think that such a low end set of cans would really need one. Should I get one, though?

man best end to that question. DAC converts digital signals (like listening to an MP3/FLAC) to analogue so you can hear them on speakers/headphones - hence Digital to Analogue Converter. But i think what you want to know is what they look like. This is a very good amp/DAC for what you want:

blog_DACmini.jpg

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/centrance/1.html

this explains it.

Amp just amplifies the sound and is needed for nicer headphones that need more power to drive them.

What is your budget? What is your source? What are you listening to? DO you want portable or at home for the desktop AMP/DAC?

My budget is not more than $100. My sources are phones, laptops, desktops. I want a great deal.

darkwing

Have a question. I'm currently rocking a Sennheiser HD 419--isn't very high end, very budget. I don't use an amp because I didn't think that such a low end set of cans would really need one. Should I get one, though?

No, unless you are planning to get something like the HD600

LProtag

I've got a pair of Grado SR-60s that are pretty beat up and old.

Where should I go from there? Are the Audio Technica ATH-M50's enough of a different headphone or upgrade to justify buying them, or are they too close to warrant a new purchase?

Where should I go from there? Are the Audio Technica ATH-M50's enough of a different headphone or upgrade to justify buying them, or are they too close to warrant a new purchase?

Yes, those are *very* different cans, and well-regarded for good reason.

Altrnately, you could try something like Mad Dog's.

https://mrspeakers.com/mrspeakers-mad-dog-headphones/

I have a couple questions for you all:

Is there a quality ceiling on plugging headphones directly into a pc for listening to an iTunes library? I'm currently using a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and I'm hesitant to upgrade my headphones without upgrading my entire setup. It just seems like there's only so much headphones can do if the media itself isn't being reaching them in the best way possible.

Also what would the next step be for an all digital library? I haven't bought a physical album in years. Just curious if there are better options than just playing them from a program like iTunes. I'm currently just running the headphones directly into the speaker/headphones jack on my pc.

Cels

got beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms for $130, primarily for home use with a desktop (onboard sound).

don't think i'll need an amp but if i do get one it'll probably be a fiio e6 or something cheap

I have a couple questions for you all:

Is there a quality ceiling on plugging headphones directly into a pc for listening to an iTunes library? I'm currently using a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and I'm hesitant to upgrade my headphones without upgrading my entire setup. It just seems like there's only so much headphones can do if the media itself isn't being reaching them in the best way possible.

Also what would the next step be for an all digital library? I haven't bought a physical album in years. Just curious if there are better options than just playing them from a program like iTunes. I'm currently just running the headphones directly into the speaker/headphones jack on my pc.

get jriver 19. Look for flac, wav, DSD or 384khz files.

Then get an amp/dac combo.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
guys, I am thinking about buying the sennheiser momentum on-ear.

does someone here own them and could tell me what he/she thinks about them?

danthefan

I have a probably annoying question, going to get a set of headphones for Xmas, budget is about $150 or maybe a little over, what would be the best to go for for that money? Obviously would like nice sound quality and if they had a mic so I could use them for MS Lync calls it would be a significant benefit.

There's just an overwhelming amount of info on the OP.

HiResDes

I think a budget geek out might do the job just fine. A Schiit stack (Modi + Magni) would be perfect, but that's probably out of your range. If you wanted to warm them up a bit a budget tube like the Aune T1 should also be considered. If you're on a budget check out the E10k
GAF has convinced me I need better headphones. I posted in the other thread but might as well post here as well.

Any good suggestions for headphones in the $75-100 range?

I do like a decent bit of bass. I would mainly use them for gaming but with music and movies too of course.

I'm currently using shitty Turtle Beach px21s that I bought back in the day so I could chat on 360, so my bar is fairly low.

Brainwavz Hm5, Creative Aurvana Live, JVC S680, or the Samson SR850 would be my picks

Upgrade your headphones first

I'd suggest the Soundmagic HP200 as they have a similar signature and yet would provide a significant upgrade in just about
every facet
got beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms for $130, primarily for home use with a desktop (onboard sound).

don't think i'll need an amp but if i do get one it'll probably be a fiio e6 or something cheap
Unless your listening from a good source I'd definitely recommend getting something with a built-in in DAC like the E7. Without a good source the DT770 can sound a bit muddy due to the mid bass bloat.
guys, I am thinking about buying the sennheiser momentum on-ear.

does someone here own them and could tell me what he/she thinks about them?
If you're gonna go on ear I think the Creative Aurvana Live 2 and especially the V-MODA M80 are much better picks with more clarity while retaining a similar warm bassy signature.

darkwing

I have a probably annoying question, going to get a set of headphones for Xmas, budget is about $150 or maybe a little over, what would be the best to go for for that money? Obviously would like nice sound quality and if they had a mic so I could use them for MS Lync calls it would be a significant benefit.

There's just an overwhelming amount of info on the OP.

how about V-Moda XS?

I think a budget geek out might do the job just fine. A Schiit stack (Modi + Magni) would be perfect, but that's probably out of your range. If you wanted to warm them up a bit a budget tube like the Aune T1 should also be considered. If you're on a budget check out the E10k

Brainwavz Hm5, Creative Aurvana Live, JVC S680, or the Samson SR850 would be my picks

Upgrade your headphones first

I'd suggest the Soundmagic HP200 as they have a similar signature and yet would provide a significant upgrade in just about
every facet

Unless your listening from a good source I'd definitely recommend getting something with a built-in in DAC like the E7. Without a good source the DT770 can sound a bit muddy due to the mid bass bloat.

If you're gonna go on ear I think the Creative Aurvana Live 2 and especially the V-MODA M80 are much better picks with more clarity while retaining a similar warm bassy signature.

Thanks, I'll take a look a at those.

So awhile back I joined the massdrop for the xDuoo TA-01. I got it about two weeks ago but with a trip planned for Thanksgiving week, I'm just now getting into it. I replaced the lone original tube with a Tung Sol and brought it into work to use with my JVCs. I gotta say, first blush, it sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

Flickr said:

As you can see from the photo, I'm just below eight o'clock on the volume dial at my preferred listening volume. There's no channel imbalance there thankfully because I wouldn't be comfortable listening at much higher volumes.

Here's the website: http://www.xduoo.com/xduoo/EnProductShow.asp?id=55

I don't remember what I paid for it on Massdrop (a listing on Amazon has it for ~$160) but I'm really happy with it so far-- I wonder where it will go with some burn-in. I think, at this point, it's definitely worth it for what I'm using it for (a leave at my work desk DAC/Amp).

Top Bottom