• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Yeah, i just saw a few more video reviews and they all praised the built quality so i guess that's a non issue. I'm really feeling towards the m100, specially after watching this review

A Basshead's Delight: The V-Moda Crossfade M-100 …: http://youtu.be/u4gd49nLqZY

I also LOVE the fact that it can be folded into such a small hard case.

How is the sound leaking though? I saw this video

V-Moda M100 Sound Leak + Girl Friend Test: http://youtu.be/MrOZbKBHaNU

and it seems like i might not be able to use it on a plane at more than 50%volume... which is OK i guess, but i tend to like to listen to music quite loud myself.

Get some Bose QC25 if you're that concerned about plane usage.

HiResDes

Cheers. Just placed an order for them on mp4nation. I did come across a few posts about them breaking near the headband after some months of use. I really hope that doesn't happen to me.
It's possible to break most headbands within a few months if you don't take care of them. But the build on the HM5 and NVX XPT100's are relatively great.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Every damn day I keep loading up the page for Sennheiser 598s on amazon, and just haven't brought myself to purchase yet. Come on, do it already! They look like they belong on my head right now. I haven't seen many praise them for metal or harder rock, which I listen to a lot of. But I also listen to a ton of instrumental stuff, movie scores, etc. I feel like in the end, I'll love them.

Put one to your basket a few hours before the shipment window ends, and keep returning to your basket. Chances are they will slash the price for you in the last hour or so, to push you over the fence. Happened to me.

terrible

Banned
For Amazon reviews for the 15k AudioQuest K2 testimonials are hilarious.

Charging 45k for a 2M cable has to be some kind of record though. Who actually buys this stuff?

I find the custom 6 meter option is more than reasonable though.

Tkv9BER.png

Well at least their products spawned those Amazon reviews. I thank them for that.

HiResDes

Every damn day I keep loading up the page for Sennheiser 598s on amazon, and just haven't brought myself to purchase yet. Come on, do it already! They look like they belong on my head right now. I haven't seen many praise them for metal or harder rock, which I listen to a lot of. But I also listen to a ton of instrumental stuff, movie scores, etc. I feel like in the end, I'll love them.

For harder rock and metal check out the Soundmagic HP200.

Well someone on head-fi told me to pick up a lightspeed 10G USB cable as an upgrade from my carbon. It's $1000usd.. I'd really like to see if it makes that much of a difference.

mr stroke

Well someone on head-fi told me to pick up a lightspeed 10G USB cable as an upgrade from my carbon. It's $1000usd.. I'd really like to see if it makes that much of a difference.

I am all about high end shit and even cables when it matters(analog speaker cables)

but spending 1k on a USB cable is pure snake oil

NotBacon

Nordost cables go for £15k per M. It's what people use when you have constellation audio monoblocks and Magic q7s or raidho speakers.

I guess when you are spending $1 million on your setup a few extra thousand doesn't really matter.

I can guarantee you people spending that much on setups aren't falling for that stuff.

Fox1304

They were never that much sound is more comparable to budget sets like the Superlux HD681 though not quite on the same level of detail, but the build is supposedly fantastic.

My current sets are Fidelio M1/Momentum, AKG k845BT and K551.
Should I have any interest in those ?

I can guarantee you people spending that much on setups aren't falling for that stuff.

i can guarantee that you are completely wrong. You have a constellation audio monoblock for each of your speakers - what cables are you using for them then? $5 cables since they "make no difference"?

Aside from digital, which can be debatable, Analogue cables are seriously important when you have setups at the ultra high end.

My goodness. The system sounds so much better after run in now. It has been about 60+ hours. The HD800s and LCD3's both have such unique sound signatures.

I find the HD800s are a lot easier to run and seem a lot clearer - if a little on the brighter / trebly side. The Audeze are just so lovely and warm.

I favour the HD800s for electronic music and the LCD3s for everything else.

The HD Remaster of Abby Road really is a reference quality recording. im happy i have some seriously good source material now from HDtracks.com

Tommy DJ

i can guarantee that you are completely wrong. You have a constellation audio monoblock for each of your speakers - what cables are you using for them then? $5 cables since they "make no difference"?

Aside from digital, which can be debatable, Analogue cables are seriously important when you have setups at the ultra high end.

As far as I know, the cable itself is a linear element so the input current is proportional to output current. Cables shouldn't be able to change an audio signal unless there's something else interfering. If you care about the skin effect or whatever, I believe properly wired three / four core wire is enough to deal with most of your concerns.

Interference and distortion caused by cables are mostly caused by the connectors itself or annoying bullshit like unintended electrical connections between equipment (big problem in recording). This is actually a decent problem with shit guitar cables since most cheap companies can't solder well if their life depended on it.

So in my mind, cables do actually matter but a good cable really should be as good as another good cable. A lot of cables aren't particularly good so its a little unfair to compare expensive cables with bargain bin stuff from your shifty $2 store.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just got my MEE Sport-Fi M6's in the mail and have been testing them out.

The treble seems intense right now. It could be a result of improper tips, so I'm testing the different sets out. Nice thing is, they sent six sets of tips and a nice carrying case. Props to them.

The phones look killer in clear though.

chaosaeon

Cross posting as I was referred to this thread. If I'm looking to get a wide soundstage for that depth and atmosphere feeling, and still want to have 5.1 or 7.1 on consoles and PC, I should go with one of these suggested headphones and pair it with a USB soundcard ? That will work on both a PS3/PS4 and a PC ? I'm looking at these headphones and soundcards right now but need a little help with the technical side of things.

How do these two pairs of headphones, and two soundcards compare ?
Audio Technica ATH AD700X. My concern with this one is that is says it emphasizes mids and highs and says nothing of bass, and a review mentions weak bass. Not sure about that.
http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420248080&sr=8-1&keywords=Audio+Technica+AD700x

And then this set. Sennheiser HD 558.http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2C4ZL3ONBMYEE&coliid=I37MPCI73508F6

Then pairing them with either the Soundbox Pro External USB Sound Card (says it can do 7.1 ?)http://www.amazon.ca/Soundbox-External-Sound-Audio-Channels/dp/B00K1OOGRI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZNSRH5HQHSDDZATXVJ4

Or the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 PRO USB Sound Card that was suggested here. http://www.amazon.ca/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Surround-TruStudio/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420247383&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Creative+SoundBlaster+X7

Or am I way off here and that would never work ? I guess I'm returning the Astros to get $150 off of this purchase.

HiResDes

Cross posting as I was referred to this thread. If I'm looking to get a wide soundstage for that depth and atmosphere feeling, and still want to have 5.1 or 7.1 on consoles and PC, I should go with one of these suggested headphones and pair it with a USB soundcard ? That will work on both a PS3/PS4 and a PC ? I'm looking at these headphones and soundcards right now but need a little help with the technical side of things.

Audio Technica ATH AD700X. My concern with this one is that is says it emphasizes mids and highs and says nothing of bass, and a review mentions weak bass. Not sure about that.
http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420248080&sr=8-1&keywords=Audio+Technica+AD700x

And then this set. Sennheiser HD 558.http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2C4ZL3ONBMYEE&coliid=I37MPCI73508F6

Then pairing them with either the Soundbox Pro External USB Sound Card (says it can do 7.1 ?)http://www.amazon.ca/Soundbox-External-Sound-Audio-Channels/dp/B00K1OOGRI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZNSRH5HQHSDDZATXVJ4

Or the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 PRO USB Sound Card that was suggested here. http://www.amazon.ca/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Surround-TruStudio/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420247383&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Creative+SoundBlaster+X7

Or am I way off here and that would never work ? I guess I'm returning the Astros to get $150 off of this purchase.
If you want to take advantage of the soundcard surround sound features on console you're going to need a mixamp as well.

Now as far as the headphones go I took a look at the Canadian prices for those two and both would be a horrendous value at that price. The AD700 indeed sport an incredibly wide soundstage while being nearly devoid of any bass. If you're into that sort of thing the Takstar TS671 sports nearly the exact same sound signature for half the price.

The 558 is a better all arounder, but doesn't have as much detail or positional accuracy as the AD700. It's also way overpriced. The semi open Samson SR850 sports nearly as wide of a soundstage with better bass and more extended treble. Unless you think you're overly sensitive treble it's a much better pick costing less than half the price.

As far as soundcards go on currently using the Claro halo pci version and loving it. But any of the midtier Asus or Creative cards should do the trick just fine.

chaosaeon

If you want to take advantage of the soundcard surround sound features on console you're going to need a mixamp as well.

Now as far as the headphones go I took a look at the Canadian prices for those two and both would be a horrendous value at that price. The AD700 indeed sport an incredibly wide soundstage while being nearly devoid of any bass. If you're into that sort of thing the Takstar TS671 sports nearly the exact same sound signature for half the price.

The 558 is a better all arounder, but doesn't have as much detail or positional accuracy as the AD700. It's also way overpriced. The semi open Samson SR850 sports nearly as wide of a soundstage with better bass and more extended treble. Unless you think you're overly sensitive treble it's a much better pick costing less than half the price.

As far as soundcards go on currently using the Claro halo pci version and loving it. But any of the midtier Asus or Creative cards should do the trick just fine.

Sounds like some great info. Though I looked for the Claro Halo pci and nothing came up. Hopefully the soundcards I was looking at would be alright ? Would I be able to attach a mic to the Samson headphones you recommended ? And just to clarify, to get 5.1 or 7.1 surround on headphones like these I'd need to connect console -> soundcard -> mixamp -> headphones in that order, or is that wrong ? Meaning the astro mixamp (or another kind) would be necessary ? I should've guessed amazon.ca would be overpriced on 90% of the items.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Soundblaster ZX, NuForce Amp, and Fidelio X2s the best PC video gaming sound I can get for under $500?

Been doing some light research off and on, but I'm really starting to get the itch to splurge. I want a nice, "3D" sound stage and great positioning. I like "fun," too - so some bass is nice. A little heavier bass is certainly okay with me.

HiResDes

Sounds like some great info. Though I looked for the Claro Halo pci and nothing came up. Hopefully the ones I was looking at would be alright ? Would I be able to attach a mic to the Samson headphones you recommended ? And just to clarify, to get 5.1 or 7.1 surround on headphones like these I'd need to connect console -> soundcard -> mixamp -> headphones in that order, or is that wrong ? I should've guessed amazon.ca would be overpriced on 90% of the items.
I have the omega Claro Halo, but yeah those cards will do the trick. You can add a cable to the Samson, but if you wanted something with a detachable cable the Superlux HD668b are the same headphones with a detachable cable, but I prefer the comfort of the Samson.

You have the set-up right you just have to go into your Sony settings audio accessory settings and change the audio output settings to use the Mixamp.

chaosaeon

Sounds like some great info. Though I looked for the Claro Halo pci and nothing came up. Hopefully the soundcards I was looking at would be alright ? Would I be able to attach a mic to the Samson headphones you recommended ? And just to clarify, to get 5.1 or 7.1 surround on headphones like these I'd need to connect console -> soundcard -> mixamp -> headphones in that order, or is that wrong ? Meaning the astro mixamp (or another kind) would be necessary ? I should've guessed amazon.ca would be overpriced on 90% of the items.

I have the omega Claro Halo, but yeah those cards will do the trick. You can add a cable to the Samson, but if you wanted something with a detachable cable the Superlux HD668b are the same headphones with a detachable cable, but I prefer the comfort of the Samson.

You have the set-up right you just have to go into your Sony settings audio accessory settings and change the audio output settings to use the Mixamp.

The superflux 668b are $85, and the Samson are $55. Besides having what looks like velour-esque pads which I much prefer to the faux leather, it also looks like a better build quality (more comfortable, like you were saying) so I'm wondering if there's an attachable mic I can use on the Samson for the $30 difference ? That way I get the more comfortable (imo) pads, and can replace a mic if it broke in the future. You were saying they're the same headphones ? They look very different and have much different descriptions and review opinions. What's the deal with these ?

HiResDes

They're the same headphones sound wise, like the innards are the same, but the Samson has better pads and a different headband. The Antlion ModMic is a great clip on, though it looks like only the Zalman is available on Amazon.ca it's decent, but not quite on the same level.

Does anyone use Spotify? Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just got my Mad Dog Pros in the mail so I'm testing them out with Spotify. Upgraded to Premium for the 30-day trial so I could test it out with high quality streaming. I enabled High Quality Streaming, but I'm not sure how to tell for a given track that's playing whether it's streaming at high quality or not. I don't think their entire library is available at every bitrate, so I'm just wondering, when listening to a particular track, what quality it's treaming out.

HiResDes

Does anyone use Spotify? Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just got my Mad Dog Pros in the mail so I'm testing them out with Spotify. Upgraded to Premium for the 30-day trial so I could test it out with high quality streaming. I enabled High Quality Streaming, but I'm not sure how to tell for a given track that's playing whether it's streaming at high quality or not. I don't think their entire library is available at every bitrate, so I'm just wondering, when listening to a particular track, what quality it's treaming out.
No unless there's a way to run the tracks through a spectral check program like Spek.

pj

Banned
Something about jitter or waves or something. There's a whole speel on their website about what it does but I don't really get it.

Can't tell any difference so far anyway but it was a gift so I might as well use it.

There is no difference between that cable and the 50 cent usb cable that came with your printer. Have a friend set up a blind test for you to see if you can tell the difference. 0% chance you can tell a difference because there is LITERALLY ZERO DIFFERENCE.

On a Windows PC, does anyone know what the following settings do for your audio device?

RRFPy1M.png

Do I need to change this for high quality playback? Why ever set it lower than the max anyway?

There is no difference between that cable and the 50 cent usb cable that came with your printer. Have a friend set up a blind test for you to see if you can tell the difference. 0% chance you can tell a difference because there is LITERALLY ZERO DIFFERENCE.
Easy tiger. I don't really care. I also wouldn't go to you as the authority on such matters either.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Hi y'all!

Noob alert! I'm looking for open headphones mainly for gaming (in the ~$150). I've been eyeing the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X and Sennheiser HD 598, which one would you guys recommend? The AD700X is like $10 cheaper on Amazon, but I read somewhere that the HD598 is better. And how'd I use them with the XBO/PS4? Just plug them into the controller?

Armaly

I've asked before but my M50s finally kicked the bucket. I'd like to upgrade to something else. My budget is anything below $250. I'll be picking up a fiio e17 for a side project i'm working on so I can use that in conjunction with my new headphones. I listen to a variety of music but mostly stick to drum and bass and rap. I would prefer something with lots of isolation. I looked into my options and I came up with the M50x, AKG 702s, and the Beyerdyanimcs DT 770/880. Any recommendations? Thanks.

HiResDes

How in the hell did you even come to consider the AKG K702. I just really wonder how some of y'all come to consider cans that are pretty much the antithesis of the apparent sound signature you desire. I'd suggest the ADL H118, M100, Soundmagic HP150, and Sony MD1RA.

Tommy DJ

On a Windows PC, does anyone know whzat the following settings do for your audio device?

Do I need to change this for high quality playback? Why ever set it lower than the max anyway?

Pick your poison: 24bit / 48kHz or 24bit / 96khz.

Most film will be running at some multiple of 48kHz so the audio syncs with the standard 24 FPS frame rate.

No reason not to run a 24 bit rate. I don't like upsampling audio to 192kHz as it introduces noise that is actually possibly audible and therefore changes how it sounds. You might like it but I think its a detriment most of the time.

Why is it like this? The number game makes it easier to sell new DAC products.

Titbit: Valkyria Chronicles does funny things depending on your audio sample rate. It only sounds as intended if you're running 44.1kHz 48kHz audio.

NotBacon

Easy tiger. I don't really care. I also wouldn't go to you as the authority on such matters either.

You should care. That wasted money could've been spent elsewhere in your setup and actually made a difference.

1s and 0s aren't going to sound different just because you spent more money on them. That's not how electricity works. Something with proper shielding is all you need.

jeanRicK

Put one to your basket a few hours before the shipment window ends, and keep returning to your basket. Chances are they will slash the price for you in the last hour or so, to push you over the fence. Happened to me.

It's at around $156 now, you think it will go any lower than this?

You should care. That wasted money could've been spent elsewhere in your setup and actually made a difference.

1s and 0s aren't going to sound different just because you spent more money on them. That's not how electricity works. Something with proper shielding is all you need.

i got the coffee for free. I also love how aggressive people get to convince others to get the cheapest possible cable.

Yes. I have $2000 headphones, a $1200 amp and im going to pair this with a $5 usb cable because it seems the best thing to do. ill also get the cheapest power slots and skip the conditioner as well because all electricity is clean straight from the wall right?

Waikis

Anyone else excited for this years ces?
New audeze flagship and most importantly sennheiser's electrostatic offering nom nom.

Top Bottom