• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Waikis

Can't fucking wait my man. Also, more on the HA2 and PM3 from oppo. I'll be getting both those, the new audeze and the new senn.
You will need an electrostatic amp then :p, assuming it is an electrostatic headphone from Senn that is.

It also seems likely that they will announce the successor of HD800.

HiResDes

What's with the sudden spike in 598 purchases on gaf?
It's really humorous to me because even as a guy that appreciates good balance I find them to be a bit unexciting and would never have thought they'd have mass appeal apart from the showy aesthetics and comfort. They never really fixed that cracking headband problem though.

A friend of mine issued a challenge to another open minded HFier in regard to the alleged performance of TOTL DAPs after he and I had a little private back and forth about exactly why other people seem to believe that any sort of meaningful difference exists between just an iPhone/iPod and something like an AK240 or a HM901. The results are pretty interesting, and I applaud his honesty on the matter. I thought it might make for interesting reading for anyone here who's ever contemplated purchasing an expensive DAP for driving IEMs.

www.head-fi.org/t/714374/dap-off-as...render-flow-lotoo-paw-gold/1140#post_11184309

chaosaeon

What do you guys use for hi fi music streaming? Right now I'm trying the 30-day free trial of spotify with high quality streaming. Apparently there's a 3rd party client called Fidelify that enables the use of ASIO / WASAPI, but the client itself is really shitty otherwise and doesn't have many usability features that the regular spotify client has. There's another service called Tidal which I haven't tried yet, but supposedly everything is coded in FLAC on Tidal. Only problem is that it's $19.99 / month, and it still doesn't support ASIO as far as I know. It seems to have a rather large library though from what I can tell, which is surprising given how new it is.

You will need an electrostatic amp then :p, assuming it is an electrostatic headphone from Senn that is.

It also seems likely that they will announce the successor of HD800.
I didn't think they had confirmed whether the new Sennheiser flagship was electrostatic? Or are these two different models you are talking about?

HiResDes

Would this detachable mic http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2C4ZL3ONBMYEE&coliid=I1RSAL82CAIQ74
work on these headphones ?
http://www.amazon.ca/Samson-SR850-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B002LBSEQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420254570&sr=8-1&keywords=Samson+SR850
I was looking at the antlion but it's $50 US and I'd have to pay for international shipping. Would the two in the link be a good combination ?
No, you need a headphone with a detachable to attach a detachable mic.

What do you guys use for hi fi music streaming? Right now I'm trying the 30-day free trial of spotify with high quality streaming. Apparently there's a 3rd party client called Fidelify that enables the use of ASIO / WASAPI, but the client itself is really shitty otherwise and doesn't have many usability features that the regular spotify client has. There's another service called Tidal which I haven't tried yet, but supposedly everything is coded in FLAC on Tidal. Only problem is that it's $19.99 / month, and it still doesn't support ASIO as far as I know. It seems to have a rather large library though from what I can tell, which is surprising given how new it is.

I generally don't stream shit. I don't even understand why others do it...

I didn't think they had confirmed whether the new Sennheiser flagship was electrostatic? Or are these two different models you are talking about?

No, the HD800 successor isn't a stat. The stat is supposedly the successor to the Orpheus. There was a this huge thread awhile back after someone pulled a figure of $50,000 off some Chinese forum. I'm sort of curious about the HD800 successor, but I really doubt they'll be able to make any meaningful technical improvements to what's already there. Headphone tech has been stagnant for a really long time

Well 2 x sets of my Norne Draug 2 cables are been built right now. One for the hd800s and one for the LCD3's.

Really looking forward to these I have heard a lot of good things and the prices are pretty reasonable.

I'd say 2 weeks till I have them.

No, the HD800 successor isn't a stat. The stat is supposedly the successor to the Orpheus. There was a this huge thread awhile back after someone pulled a figure of $50,000 off some Chinese forum. I'm sort of curious about the HD800 successor, but I really doubt they'll be able to make any meaningful technical improvements to what's already there. Headphone tech has been stagnant for a really long time
I'd assume the new senn set would still want to remain neutral but be less sharp or trebly. Interested to see what senn come up with after their urbanite range and a lot of new stuff they have been putting out.

I think they'll probably try to adjust the tonal balance as well. I'm kinda curious whether they'll try to build a new dynamic driver or go with an entirely new technology. They haven't sunk much into R&D since the introduction of the HD800. There's really no assurance that they'll be able to better the HD800 at all, I'm assuming it'll just be a side grade of sorts.

Waikis

Yeah, but even with the limitations of current tech, we have progressed so much within the past few years. There was a considerable improvement from HD600, HD650 to HD800. We are also seeing a resurgence of orthos with audeze and now Oppo.

Back then I was stuck with HD650 for 6 years because the only options were HD650, K701 or DT990. Now THAT was stagnancy.

They haven't sunk much into R&D since the introduction of the HD800.
What make you say that? Haven't they been prototyping estats for a while now?

chaosaeon

Would this detachable mic http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2C4ZL3ONBMYEE&coliid=I1RSAL82CAIQ74
work on these headphones ?
http://www.amazon.ca/Samson-SR850-Professional-Reference-Headphones/dp/B002LBSEQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420254570&sr=8-1&keywords=Samson+SR850
I was looking at the antlion but it's $50 US and I'd have to pay for international shipping. Would the two in the link be a good combination ?

I did look at the zalman but everywhere I see people saying it's $10, no way am I going to drop almost $40 on amazon.ca for that. That leaves me a little blank on ideas for what to do about a mic since even the one I linked doesn't work on the Superlux HD668B because they both have male jacks by default and the Superlux HD668B is $85 on amazon.ca instead of around $40 which I'm hearing it should be.

Also, can someone please confirm something for me. The Samson SR850 I linked to above on amazon shows in the pictures that it has velour or similar pads, but every unboxing video shows it coming out of the box with the faux leather which I strongly dislike. Are these pictures on amazon actually misleading ? I don't want to have to go and buy $20-$50 earpads to replace them because they're lying about the product.

Yeah, but even with the limitations of current tech, we have progressed so much within the past few years. There was a considerable improvement from HD600, HD650 to HD800. We are also seeing a resurgence of orthos with audeze and now Oppo.

Back then I was stuck with HD650 for 6 years because the only options were HD650, K701 or DT990. Now THAT was stagnancy.

What make you say that? Haven't they been prototyping estats for a while now?

In terms of what's affordable to the mainstream consumer, I guess. But in terms of sheer performance, phones like the Orpheus, K1000, R10 and SR-007 either predate the HD600 or were released in the same timeframe, and it's not like we've exactly put any of those to shame, or even equaled them in some respects all these years later. What I'm getting at, is I feel there's a ceiling in terms of what's achievable with headphone tech, and we've long passed the point of diminishing returns. This isn't like graphics cards where performance improves exponentially with subsequent generations of products

Well, it's been 6 years since the introduction of the HD800. They certainly haven't attempted to release anything of its stature til now is what I mean.

HiResDes

I did look at the zalman but everywhere I see people saying it's $10, no way am I going to drop almost $40 on amazon.ca for that. That leaves me a little blank on ideas for what to do about a mic since even the one I linked doesn't work on the Superlux HD668B because they both have male jacks by default and the Superlux HD668B is $85 on amazon.ca instead of around $40 which I'm hearing it should be.

Also, can someone please confirm something for me. The Samson SR850 I linked to above on amazon shows in the pictures that it has velour or similar pads, but every unboxing video shows it coming out of the box with the faux leather which I strongly dislike. Are these pictures on amazon actually misleading ? I don't want to have to go and buy $20-$50 earpads to replace them because they're lying about the product.

I think they do come with faux leather, but the AKG 240 velour pads fit on them. If you have to have something that comes stock with the velour pads check out the Takstar HI-2050, which are also a good 555 replacement. In fact I think the HI-2050 sound slightly better than the 555. I'd just ebay the Zalman or drop the extra price for the high quality AntLion directly from their site.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I feel weird that I don't have a personal music library.

Ever since Spotify came along I just haven't bothered with keeping my own collection.

s-bojan

Banned
I've bought Fidelio X2 a month ago and I really like how it sounds with my ipod.
However, I am not satisfied with the current setup:
1. I am connecting them directly to Hero Vi integrated sound card. I usually have to use Extreme amplify level to increase the volume.
2. For console use (ps3, Xbox One, Wii U) I am using output jack on my TV.

So, I was thinking about buying a dedicated sound card(SB Z or Xonar DX & FiiO E11K). I also need a DAC to use with the optical.
Any suggestions?

andylsun

How is the audioquest dragonfly? Any users here?

For me it's awesome. Drives Sennheiser HD-595 to a good volume without problem, and even better with HD-25. I also use it with my PS4 as the output is much better than the headphone port on the DS4.

I previously tried the HRT headstreamer but that didn't have the power I wanted. My friend who has Grado's and the HRT liked the extra power of the Deagonfly when he tested it.

Edit: just caught up on the last few posts. Electrostatic Sennheisers? Now I'm in trouble. While Stax headphones are no 1 on my wish list, this could be very close.

Servbot24

Banned
256 kbps AAC and V0 MP3. I have some apple lossless files on my portable hard drive and honestly I never both with them.

It depends on the music, but I can definitely tell the difference between 320 and ALAC even on a beginner's setup. Of course 320 and v0 still are completely fine.

HiResDes

I have pretty damn good ears, but the only difference I can hear is when iTunes does a sound normalizing check and the volumes are different.

chaosaeon

I think they do come with faux leather, but the AKG 240 velour pads fit on them. If you have to have something that comes stock with the velour pads check out the Takstar HI-2050, which are also a good 555 replacement. In fact I think the HI-2050 sound slightly better than the 555. I'd just ebay the Zalman or drop the extra price for the high quality AntLion directly from their site.

Is there any harm in just ordering both the Samson set AND the takstar, trying them both out, and then keeping the one I like better and returning the other ? I'm curious to how the wider soundstage of the Samson compares to the apparently slightly better bass of the takstar. I can get a zalman mic for $20 from ebay, just not sure how it works exactly. It just clips onto your headphone cable, though thats off to the side of your head not close to your mouth at all.

HiResDes

Is there any harm in just ordering both the Samson set AND the takstar, trying them both out, and then keeping the one I like better and returning the other ? I'm curious to how the wider soundstage of the Samson compares to the apparently slightly better bass of the takstar. I can get a zalman mic for $20 from ebay, just not sure how it works exactly. It just clips onto your headphone cable, though thats off to the side of your head not close to your mouth at all.
Sounds like a plan to me.

I guess I should ask here before I pull the trigger, I'm between the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Sennheiser HD 598 Over-Ear Headphones, the price is not a problem and they will be used for gaming and watching shows. I won't take them out much so portability isn't an issue either.

chaosaeon

Sounds like a plan to me.

About to pull the trigger on that. But there's 2 different listings on amazon.ca. They look exactly the same (?) but are $20 difference ? Just difference between sellers I take it. They look like the right actual product.
http://www.amazon.ca/Takstar-Monitor-Headphone-Gaming-Computer/dp/B00LCR0XJ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420312503&sr=8-2&keywords=Takstar+HI-2050
http://www.amazon.ca/FOME-Deep-deal-Takstar-Headphone-Computer/dp/B00NSKRLYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420312503&sr=8-1&keywords=Takstar+HI-2050

And one last question. For my 7.1/5.1, the astro mixamp will do just fine to go into from the soundcard yeah ? Thanks for all the replies by the way. This is my first venture into all of this.

HiResDes

Do you care that one is completely open? Do you care more about bass or soundstage?

Looks the same just different sellers, get the cheaper one.

And yes soundcard optical out to mixamp

chaosaeon

Do you care that one is completely open? Do you care more about bass or soundstage?

Looks the same just different sellers, get the cheaper one.

And yes soundcard optical out to mixamp

Sounds like my best bet is to try both and see exactly how much farther the soundstage on samson is, and how much better the bass on the takstar is. And then keep whichever's shortcoming is still close to the same quality as the other.

HiResDes

Was talking to the other guy. The Takstar don't really have more bass at all, they're super fucking comfy and extremely accurate with a fuller midrange than the Samson. The soundstage is actually very similar on both pretty wide though not the level of the AD700 or TS671. I might give the bass edge to the Samson.

chaosaeon

Was talking to the other guy. The Takstar don't really have more bass at all, they're super fucking comfy and extremely accurate with a fuller midrange than the Samson. The soundstage is actually very similar on both pretty wide though not the level of the AD700 or TS671. I might give the bass edge to the Samson.

Ah lol, I guess what you were saying applied to both of us in some way.

Edit : Hey weird. Some unboxing videos of the Samson show it with the velour pads ... what is going on with these, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQtauj9B2vc
I guess I will find out when I try them.

Hello HiFi gaf.

Now that we have a 4 month old, we can't exactly blast our 5.1 system to watch movies. Thus we have a bunch of blu rays waiting to be watched and not really a good time to do so.

I'm hoping my wife and I can get a good pair of headphones for movie watching. These will only be used for movies 95% blu ray/hd dvd 5% regular TV (we barely watch).

Budget is around 1k for both. What would you guys recommend?

My current receiver is an Onkyo 705, XB1 for BR playback and Kuro 151 as the TV.

If I need to upgrade my receiver, that's fine and outside of this budget.

Duxxy3

Hello HiFi gaf.

Now that we have a 4 month old, we can't exactly blast our 5.1 system to watch movies. Thus we have a bunch of blu rays waiting to be watched and not really a good time to do so.

I'm hoping my wife and I can get a good pair of headphones for movie watching. These will only be used for movies 95% blu ray/hd dvd 5% regular TV (we barely watch).

Budget is around 1k for both. What would you guys recommend?

My current receiver is an Onkyo 705, XB1 for BR playback and Kuro 151 as the TV.

If I need to upgrade my receiver, that's fine and outside of this budget.

This is probably one of the few times where I would actually recommend wireless headphones. I have no experience in this kind of setup, but I'd probably look at sennheiser and bose systems.

edit: Sennheiser RS160.

I generally don't stream shit. I don't even understand why others do it...

Because i listen in many places (home, work, in the car) and its more convenient having my library be stored in the cloud. It's also cheaper and a few orders of magnitude less work than acquiring, maintaining, and indexing your own library. Finally, they have music discovery features that let you find things you might not have otherwise known about. There's a wealth of reasons.

HiResDes

No console to mixamp, internal soundcard optical out to mixamp....The whole purpose of the mixamp is to relay the sound to the console. You can't even do that with a regular soundcard.

These Blue Jeans audio cables are very fucking nice. As are these tubes.

That is all.
Blue Jeans cables are great. At one point, Monster Cables tried to sue them. Funny stuff, the guy who runs Blue Jeans had been a lawyer in his previous life. Needless to say, the suit didn't go well for Monster, as I remember it.

chaosaeon

No console to mixamp, internal soundcard optical out to mixamp....The whole purpose of the mixamp is to relay the sound to the console. You can't even do that with a regular soundcard.

So I don't even need that external soundcard ? I'm still trying to learn so I understand my questions are likely spiced with noob. I'm planning on testing this on a PS3 first, in case by internal soundcard you mean on a PC.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hello again cans-GAF.

I need some recommendations, I'm looking for Bluetooth, over the earl noise cancelling headphones. I was very close to buying the Sony mdr-1rnc, until I found they weren't wireless.

I understand Bluetooth doesn't offer the best sound, which is fine, I still have my grados that were recommended by GAF. I want Bluetooth because they are going to be my phone through my pc, and noise cancelling cause ill be flying more. I really don't want to buy Bose or beats, unless I have to but they seem to be the only options.

HiResDes

Omg man the internal soundcard goes in your pci or pci express card in your PC. If you're not using the PC at all then just get the Mixamp.

@Captive
Just get some Bose or Beats. If you need all that shit

chaosaeon

Omg man the internal soundcard goes in your pci or pci express card in your PC. If you're not using the PC at all then just get the Mixamp.

I do play on PC as well, but I thought most gaming PCs including mine are already setup with 5.1 or 7.1 sound without a device like that, so this item is really only for people that maybe want high quality audio that their current setup doesn't allow for I guess ?

Edit : If it turns out I can spend a little more, how much better are the Sennheiser HD 558 than Samson SR850 and the Takstar 2050 ? They're about $100 more expensive, but are they $100 better as well I wonder.

Top Bottom