• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

NotBacon

axe.jpeg

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
Yes, the dragonfly appears as a headphone audio device in the Adjust Devices menu.

That's kind of awesome, saves me the need to buy an optical dad or astro mix amp pro. Is the sound output stereo? For example are the spacial cues still there for sound effects and such?

If not I am gonna have to go with mix amp pro for dolby headphones :(

andylsun

That's kind of awesome, saves me the need to buy an optical dad or astro mix amp pro. Is the sound output stereo? For example are the spacial cues still there for sound effects and such?

If not I am gonna have to go with mix amp pro for dolby headphones :(

It is stereo, but no surround processing. It's the same output that you get out of the DS4 headphone port, but much better quality.

g8vSUIql.jpg

This is a nice combo...

thanks for the info, how does it treat the bass btw? I read it concentrates more on the mids/highs

Plenty of bass through the dragonfly. I think the DS4 headphone port is just poor. It's the same digital stream to the dragonfly and the DS4 headphone port (I would guess).

Crisco

Banned
$500 goes a long way in headphones these days and I believe can net you near TOTL sound, but then when you factor in the cost of a decent amp and dac you're looking at a total cost closer to $800.

People just need to get used to the idea. I mentioned this thing earlier, http://schiit.com/products/fulla, pair that with something like a Q701 (or in that price range) and how much more would you really have to spend to make an audible difference playing a 320kbps MP3 or a stereo FLAC?

Dave_6

I forgot about this thread and posted in the "Build a PC" thread instead. I just got a new pair of HD598s last week that I will primarily be using for gaming on my PC and maybe a little general video watching (Youtube, Gamersyde etc). I have hours of music on iTunes except it is installed on my other non-gaming PC. Would I be better off getting a good sound card or a Schiit stack?

HiResDes

I forgot about this thread and posted in the "Build a PC" thread instead. I just got a new pair of HD598s last week that I will primarily be using for gaming on my PC and maybe a little general video watching (Youtube, Gamersyde etc). I have hours of music on iTunes except it is installed on my other non-gaming PC. Would I be better off getting a good sound card or a Schiit stack?

The only reason to spend the extra money on the soundcard rather than the Schiit stack would be to get surround sound capabilities. However, for pure sound quality, especially with music, and the ability to potentially hook the stack up up to other systems definitely makes it the better option IMO.

Armaly

Trying to decide between the e17 and e17k. Since I want to run my tv audio via toslink and pc audio via line in or usb, the e17 is the best option for me right? I researched and it seems like the main difference is that the e17k lacks optical input. Are there any other major differences? Thanks.

Edit: Another question. Anyone ever trying using a command hook as a headphone holder? Thinking about trying to stick a flat one on the side of my case to see if it'll work.

Dave_6

I'd go with the more versatile stack of schiit.

The only reason to spend the extra money on the soundcard rather than the Schiit stack would be to get surround sound capabilities. However, for pure sound quality, especially with music, and the ability to potentially hook the stack up up to other systems definitely makes it the better option IMO.

I don't play a lot of MP like BF4, COD etc so would I even miss surround? A lot of PC games seem to have either just stereo or headphone options anyways.

Plus, it seems that sound cards have driver issues a lot after reading some reviews on both Amazon and Newegg.

pj

Banned
You dont think a DAC makes a difference in sound? maybe if you have incredibly shit headphones.

Whatever you believe in regards to cables, you are only as strong as the weakest link in your chain.

If you have a bad source/source material, cables, DAC, Amp, headphones - any one of those, then you are not getting the best sound you can.

I have hd598s now, I've had several pairs of more expensive IEMs in the past, and I have a fairly expensive 5.0 setup, not that my personal experience makes a difference. DACs are pretty much a solved problem, like solid state amplification. I'm sure DACs can be designed with certain coloration to the sound, like stupid tube amps tend to be, but any modern dac in a best buy receiver can convert a digital signal to analog with imperfections far below the thresholds of human hearing. Similar to how any decent solid state amp has basically no distortion within its limits and will sound identical to any other.

The "chain" is one of the most ridiculous tenets of the audiophile delusion. More expensive cables than mine exist, so clearly there must be some benefit to them! Hopefully one day I can save up and buy the $500 cable that has oxygen free copper from the same factory as every other non-walmart cable on earth!

Just because it exists and costs money doesn't make it better. Where do you personally draw the line on this crap? Cable risers? Expensive ethernet cables? The brand of hard drive you own? Wherever your line is, take two steps back and think "wait, does this shit really make a difference?"

A couple years ago The Absolute Sound had a completely serious article claiming FLAC doesn't sound as good as WAV. If you accept they are not mentally challenged or maliciously lying, the only logical conclusion is that people hear differences that don't exist.

James Randi has a $1,000,000 challenge for anyone who can tell the difference between a $7250 cable and an $80 monster cable. If the differences are so apparent to you between cables costing merely hundreds, why aren't you a millionaire??

If anyone can honestly show a level matched blind test with cables or solid state amplification that shows an audible difference (let alone improvement), between something well made (e.g. $20 cable) and something "audiophile grade" (e.g. hundreds to thousands), I will shut the fuck up. Dedicated DACs I am less versed in but nothing I have read has convinced me of their necessity. Remember that I'm not the one who needs to prove anything because I'm not shilling anything or recommending people waste their money on crap that will make zero difference.

Maybe I will start selling audiophile q-tips tomorrow for $50 a pop. They have a specially treated cotton that aligns the minute hairs in your ear to facilitate better sound. After all, if you have dirty ears they are the weakest link in the chain! I don't have any facts or anything but the shafts are made of carbon fiber and they look fuckin sick!

Outside of line noise, all USB cables are identical. But line noise is definitely a real issue. Except that it won't manifest itself as a difference in sound quality so much as a difference in the amount of background noise you hear.. Ie it'll either sound working or completely busted. Bits are bits, if they get there intact it will sound the same. If they don't get there intact it will sound broken.

DACs are of course another story since they modify the sound properties of the input stream, so by definition their purpose is to change the way something sounds.

There are most definitely legit differences between DACs but it's largely quite subtle to my ears. I think some of the stuff being done with DSPs is more impressive/interesting than what I've heard moving from one DAC to another.

HiResDes

I think something like the ODAC or Modi is pretty the best value and after those are huge diminishing returns. Amps sport a greater variation

ChristianTW

Neo Member
I ended up getting an O2 amp and ended up returning the Blue Yeti and am looking at a more high quality mic. I don't know if I want to use a modmic since at this point I am done with ear mics. Every single one I have ever used is either crappy quality, or broke within a month.

DACs are of course another story since they modify the sound properties of the input stream, so by definition their purpose is to change the way something sounds.

No, a DAC's purpose is to transform a digital data into an analog one in order to be sent to an amplifier/headphones or any other device that only works in the analog domain.

As with amplifiers, a DAC shouldn't change the signal, at all.

I think you're confusing DAC with DSP :)

andylsun

How are Macbook's Internal DAC?

How much will I need to spend on another DAC to see noticeable improvements?

My MacBook pro 2012 internal DAC is awful. It's got clearly audible hiss through most of my headphones. I'm assuming it's just a one-off faulty unit. You can hear the audio system turn on and off (hiss starts up just before the music).

The schilt or the Deagonfly would be well worth a look. What headphones are you using?

My MacBook pro 2012 internal DAC is awful. It's got clearly audible hiss through most of my headphones. I'm assuming it's just a one-off faulty unit. You can hear the audio system turn on and off (hiss starts up just before the music).

The shilit or the Deagonfly would be well worth a look. What headphones are you using?

Sennheiser HD 600.

I was looking at the latest Macbooks.

andylsun

Sennheiser HD 600.

I was looking at the latest Macbooks.

There's no way the HD800's can be driven properly with a stock macbook headphone port. They are not designed for that impedance or power requirements.

Edit: Sorry, thought you said 800. My HD595's were much better driven with the dragonfly, had more power and clarity.

I would grab the Schiit Fulla posted above for $79, that's a steal at that price and has plenty of power for the HD600's - shouldn't need a separate amp

I've been hearing hissing on my DAC (Dr DAC2 TX) lately. I can make it go away by turning it off and then back on, but it sometimes come back. What could be the cause of it? Dirty power from my outlets or something? Or could it be a mechanical problem with the DAC itself?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So my Pulse Elites cracked so I'm looking for a good replacement for them. Many people have said to me that for the amount I use headphones (pretty much everything) I would be better off getting a quality pair of standard headphones. I'm looking for something that has good positional sound for gaming and movies. I'd just be plugging them into the DS4 to feed them, if that makes any difference in choice. I'd like to keep them under $150 if possible. The Elites are the highest quality headphones I've ever used so my standards are probably more entry level than most.

BTW does anyone have a suggestion for, if I get these headphones, a decent mic alternative?

HiResDes

There's no way the HD800's can be driven properly with a stock macbook headphone port. They are not designed for that impedance or power requirements.

Edit: Sorry, thought you said 800. My HD595's were much better driven with the dragonfly, had more power and clarity.

I would grab the Schiit Fulla posted above for $79, that's a steal at that price and has plenty of power for the HD600's - shouldn't need a separate amp

I'd go a bit higher than that, they have a 300 OHM nominal impedance. I mean I'm sure they're sound pretty good out of a fulla, but I think they'll still be quite limited with that setup. He's essentially bought an old Ferrari and never gone over 80MPH in it.

So my Pulse Elites cracked so I'm looking for a good replacement for them. Many people have said to me that for the amount I use headphones (pretty much everything) I would be better off getting a quality pair of standard headphones. I'm looking for something that has good positional sound for gaming and movies. I'd just be plugging them into the DS4 to feed them, if that makes any difference in choice. I'd like to keep them under $150 if possible. The Elites are the highest quality headphones I've ever used so my standards are probably more entry level than most.

BTW does anyone have a suggestion for, if I get these headphones, a decent mic alternative?

I use this Sony clip on mic with my headphones and PS4. The cable is a good length for plugging into the DS4 and it sounds great according to other GAFfers who have been in party chat with me.

And I use this cable splitter with my headphones and mic

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Man the KC06 is awesome. The forward mids and sparkly treble take me back to the glorious RE-ZERO. I'm instantly in love.

I like to give things a week before I have a serious opinion, but man what a first impression.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
I have hd598s now, I've had several pairs of more expensive IEMs in the past, and I have a fairly expensive 5.0 setup, not that my personal experience makes a difference. DACs are pretty much a solved problem, like solid state amplification. I'm sure DACs can be designed with certain coloration to the sound, like stupid tube amps tend to be, but any modern dac in a best buy receiver can convert a digital signal to analog with imperfections far below the thresholds of human hearing. Similar to how any decent solid state amp has basically no distortion within its limits and will sound identical to any other.

The "chain" is one of the most ridiculous tenets of the audiophile delusion. More expensive cables than mine exist, so clearly there must be some benefit to them! Hopefully one day I can save up and buy the $500 cable that has oxygen free copper from the same factory as every other non-walmart cable on earth!

Just because it exists and costs money doesn't make it better. Where do you personally draw the line on this crap? Cable risers? Expensive ethernet cables? The brand of hard drive you own? Wherever your line is, take two steps back and think "wait, does this shit really make a difference?"

A couple years ago The Absolute Sound had a completely serious article claiming FLAC doesn't sound as good as WAV. If you accept they are not mentally challenged or maliciously lying, the only logical conclusion is that people hear differences that don't exist.

James Randi has a $1,000,000 challenge for anyone who can tell the difference between a $7250 cable and an $80 monster cable. If the differences are so apparent to you between cables costing merely hundreds, why aren't you a millionaire??

If anyone can honestly show a level matched blind test with cables or solid state amplification that shows an audible difference (let alone improvement), between something well made (e.g. $20 cable) and something "audiophile grade" (e.g. hundreds to thousands), I will shut the fuck up. Dedicated DACs I am less versed in but nothing I have read has convinced me of their necessity. Remember that I'm not the one who needs to prove anything because I'm not shilling anything or recommending people waste their money on crap that will make zero difference.

Maybe I will start selling audiophile q-tips tomorrow for $50 a pop. They have a specially treated cotton that aligns the minute hairs in your ear to facilitate better sound. After all, if you have dirty ears they are the weakest link in the chain! I don't have any facts or anything but the shafts are made of carbon fiber and they look fuckin sick!

My 50 dollar SMSL M2 amp/dac gives a noticeable difference over the onboard audio on my macbook pro. Latest macbook as well. Dacs definitely make a difference. Expectation bias works both ways, show changes when there aren't any and not noticing changes when there are. I don't understand the aggro behind your post, why does it irk you so how people choose to spend their money? :/

I used to believe that headphone cables don't make a difference in terms of sound, but I could hear a difference on my VSonic VSD 3 when upgrading to a silver cable from a stock copper one, so I have changed my stance on that. So it can't all be voodoo. To each their own. My 0.02

Perfect, thank you. Any headphone recommendations?

Open backed headphones are great for gaming: you get a large soundstage, perfect for listening to foot steps and enemy positions in FPS games. However, they leak sound so people around you can hear what's coming out of the headphones. I personally use the Audio Technica AD900 with the Sony mic I linked in my above post. Other open headphones that are good for gaming:

Audio Technica AD700x (successor to the AD700, the little brother to the AD900x. Bigger soundstage than the AD900 but less bass; $139 on Amazon)
Sennheiser HD558 or HD598 (if on sale; HD598 is $155 on Amazon right now)

Good budget headphones under $100:
Samson SR850
Superlux HD668B
Superlux HD681

Yo guys, with regard to my DAC...are there any general rules when using a DAC that has its own volume control? That is, should it be turned all the way up? Just some portion of the max volume? Should it be based on when I hear feedback/noise in the line (if at all)? Can maxing out the volume on the DAC distort the audio?

Yo guys, with regard to my DAC...are there any general rules when using a DAC that has its own volume control? That is, should it be turned all the way up? Just some portion of the max volume? Should it be based on when I hear feedback/noise in the line (if at all)?

I usually have my source (laptop) at 100% volume, then adjust volume with my DAC accordingly.

HiResDes

The volume knob is usually only on the amp if you're using Schiit products, but yeah volume all the way up from source and then adjust accordingly on amp

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
I heard the opposite with respect to the laptop volume control, to keep it lower than 80 percent to prevent audio clipping or something to that effect.

Yea my PC/Mac is always at 100%. I know it should always be at 100% because it can affect the sound when it isn't 100%. But I'm not sure about the volume on the DAC itself.

I set mine to a comfortable listening level; for me, it's around 40-50%. I don't have a separate else plugged into the DAC, as it is an amp/DAC combo. I think everything in your chain of devices except the last one (which you plug headphones into), should be at 100%, then the last device is what you control volume with. Correct me if I am wrong, wiser Headphone GAFfers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Open backed headphones are great for gaming: you get a large soundstage, perfect for listening to foot steps and enemy positions in FPS games. However, they leak sound so people around you can hear what's coming out of the headphones. I personally use the Audio Technica AD900 with the Sony mic I linked in my above post. Other open headphones that are good for gaming:

Audio Technica AD700x (successor to the AD700, the little brother to the AD900x. Bigger soundstage than the AD900 but less bass; $139 on Amazon)
Sennheiser HD558 or HD598 (if on sale; HD598 is $155 on Amazon right now)

Good budget headphones under $100:
Samson SR850
Superlux HD668B
Superlux HD681

Cool, will check out the Sennheiser and Audio Technicas. Appreciate the help. I knew a wide soundstage was what I was looking for but wasn't sure what type of headphones to look at for that.

HiResDes

The Takstar TS671 sounds just like the AD700 and is considerably cheaper.
Takstar HI-2050 is a really good alternative to the 555, which just a slightly smaller soundstage, but I believe better sound quality.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
It is stereo, but no surround processing. It's the same output that you get out of the DS4 headphone port, but much better quality.

g8vSUIql.jpg

This is a nice combo...

Plenty of bass through the dragonfly. I think the DS4 headphone port is just poor. It's the same digital stream to the dragonfly and the DS4 headphone port (I would guess).

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if my SMSL M2 will work hmm. Also, dumb question, but how do I get email notifications about replies to forum posts? Thanks in advance

Top Bottom