• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 Minutes of Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk’ Will Screen Before ‘Rogue One’ in 70mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc

I would totally watch Rogue One in IMAX to see this if they were playing IMAX 2D here. But alas like all countries with only Digital IMAX screens, they want to double down on maximum ticket prices so they only screen IMAX 3D as long as that format is available, even if a film is not shot in 3D. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
It played in front of Rogue One for me and it was a digital 3D projection, albeit in a real IMAX theater. I totally did not expect it but it was a nice surprise.

The scene was AMAZING. My heart was racing the whole time. Incredible sound and just a superbly put together sequence.

Saw the prologue tonight. Only bad part was 3 shots were clearly in 35mm. I was hoping the movie was 100% 70mm. The switch back and forth is annoying. They were all shots with the sweater vest kid on the fishing boat with his dad or whatever.

The scene with the guys ducking for cover on the bridge was harrowing. The stinger scene with Tom Hardy was good too.

Ashhong

Okay so here's the full list of imax screens playing the prologue.

EDIT: prologue starts playing tonight at 7pm est.

Shit. I paid double for tickets to go to a theater 60 miles away because I saw the old list with less screens. What to do....

ah just remembered the expensive one is also 2D IMAX while the other is 3D. hmmmm

duckroll

It played in front of Rogue One for me and it was a digital 3D projection, albeit in a real IMAX theater. I totally did not expect it but it was a nice surprise.

The scene was AMAZING. My heart was racing the whole time. Incredible sound and just a superbly put together sequence.

Yes, I know it's playing. What I meant is, I would watch Rogue One in 2D, but I don't want to watch it in 3D.

Saw the prologue tonight. Only bad part was 3 shots were clearly in 35mm. I was hoping the movie was 100% 70mm. The switch back and forth is annoying. They were all shots with the sweater vest kid on the fishing boat with his dad or whatever.

The scene with the guys ducking for cover on the bridge was harrowing. The stinger scene with Tom Hardy was good too.

One or two of those 35mm shots did not need to be there at all as they're more reaction shots. Would be surprised if he didn't cut it for consistency's sake

I would totally watch Rogue One in IMAX to see this if they were playing IMAX 2D here. But alas like all countries with only Digital IMAX screens, they want to double down on maximum ticket prices so they only screen IMAX 3D as long as that format is available, even if a film is not shot in 3D. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It's strange because at my regular theaters IMAX 2D and 3D are the same price. Rarely they throw a bone and have a 2D screening at odd hours. But for Rogue One, it's "An IMAX 3D Experience," so that's all I get.

How's Hardy accent?

Maybe you just saw a ratio from 1:44 to 1:78 change. It can bounce from Imax to 70mm

I must have missed something. I thought it was shot in 5 perf 70mm and 15 perf 70mm. It was shot in 35mm and 15 perf 70mm?

Vinc

Yes, I know it's playing. What I meant is, I would watch Rogue One in 2D, but I don't want to watch it in 3D.

Oh yeah, totally understandable. 3D sucks. The best thing I can say about this one is that the usual blurriness was more subdued than usual, but I would have watched it in 2D if it was an option...

Aurongel

Wow, hearing almost universal praise for the prologue which is awesome news considering the tepid response to the trailer.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So Nolan delivered again. Suck it haters!

Cant wait to watch it tomorrow. Have to pay $30 for two tickets. this is extortion.

Seeing this prologue at BFI IMAX with the editing to the ticking clock and the audio of it changing between land and air, made for an intense 5 minutes! Cannot wait. (I didn't like the trailer, either)

That was more engaging than all of Rogue One.
I can't take this movie seriously with one of the One Direction kids in it.

I just can't.

If you can make out this One Direction guy amongst this prologue, you are most definitely a Directioner because everyone looks natural.

samn

How much extra can I pay for a ticket without 7 minutes of this blowhard's latest Harry Styles borefest?

crustikid

Caught the prologue at the Metreon IMAX. There were definitely a scattering of shots in 35mm. Grainy and 16:9 aspect ratio was how you could tell immediately. Maybe these were too expensive to reshoot? Or maybe these were the reshoots?

Should note that it's in 2D so don't forget to take off your 3D glasses since it plays after all the 3D trailers.

Caught the prologue at the Metreon IMAX. There were definitely a scattering of shots in 35mm. Grainy and 16:9 aspect ratio was how you could tell immediately. Maybe these were too expensive to reshoot? Or maybe these were the reshoots?

The ratio change is of course to be expected when switching between 15 perf 70mm and 5 perf 70mm.

Grain is a factor of film speed and type of emulsion not just the size of the exposed negative.

I'm sorry but I really don't believe Nolan relented and shot this in 35mm.

DuPy0tV.jpg

The ratio change is of course to be expected when switching between 15 perf 70mm and 5 perf 70mm.

Grain is a factor of film speed and type of emulsion not just the size of the exposed negative.

I'm sorry but I really don't believe Nolan relented and shot this in 35mm.

DuPy0tV.jpg
I'm sure that you are right. I guess I should say I was disappointed to see the film jumping between two aspect ratios. It was jarring.

Newlove

I hope this gets released eventually. I think the Dark Knight prologue was, I remember seeing it before the film at least.

They had an extended scene in front of my IMAX showing but it wasn't on any list. We missed most of it because the roads were shitty but we got a few minutes of it. Looked amazing.

Cuburt

I saw it not knowing they'd show it at more IMAXs than just the theaters in the OP.

I'm no Nolan fanboy like GAF is, but it looked great. It actually made me disappointed with Rogue One's aspect ratio/presentation when we finally got to see the movie, especially since even the 3D wasn't great.

Man, but there were like 30 minutes+ of trailers in front of the film. It was ridiculous! Every movie in 2017 sticking their trailers in front of this thing.

I'm no Nolan fanboy like GAF is, but it looked great. It actually made me disappointed with Rogue One's aspect ratio/presentation when we finally got to see the movie, especially since even the 3D wasn't great.

I think Star Wars should stick with the Panavision ratio that they have always composed for. It's kind of regrettable that Aliens was shot 1.85:1. In retrospect Cameron agrees. Aspect ratio is part of the visual identity of the Star Wars franchise.

Really fucking rad experience. I feel like Nolan is still the only one who truly knows how you use Imax right. I felt like I was right on the beach with these soldiers and right in the cockpit with Tom Hardy. I was trying to track the plane right along with him, looking all around the screen trying to get a bead on those fuckers. I feel Nolan is going to reinvent the aerial battle with this movie.

Tugatrix

It's tense as it should be, I think Nolan is achieving a great portrait of Dunkirk

The French on the prologue restores historical accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom