• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 Minutes of Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dunkirk’ Will Screen Before ‘Rogue One’ in 70mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daft_Cat

Is anyone here familiar with the work of Robert Bresson? Particularly films like Pickpocket and A Man Escaped? The prologue feels almost like a Bresson-directed war flick... by which I mean clinical, and precise. With tension developed slowly through a step-by-step, detail-rich depiction of the characters' actions combined with incredibly immersive sound design. No Country for Old Men accomplished something similar as well - particularly in its approach to action sequences. It's a fantastic visual way to set up plot, build character, and deliver exposition.

Is anyone here familiar with the work of Robert Bresson? Particularly films like Pickpocket and A Man Escaped? The prologue feels almost like a Bresson-directed war flick... by which I mean clinical, and precise. With tension developed slowly through a step-by-step, detail-rich depiction of the characters' actions combined with incredibly immersive sound design. No Country for Old Men accomplished something similar as well - particularly in its approach to action sequences. It's a fantastic visual way to set up plot, build character, and deliver exposition.

Hype rises.

And yes, Bresson editing and his focus on the particular is terrific (and quite influential). Nolan did something similar (to what you described) on Interstellar, slowing the pace of what is happening in the frame vs the grandeur of the action. The docking scene is a great example of building tension through displaying more precise movements, establishing longer reaction shots, letting the audience really grasp the detail of what is happening, etc.

Man, I've been meaning to watch some Bresson, and this might be my impetus cause I loved the prologue and want something more like that detail-oriented.

Ashhong

Hope the all imax rumor is true.

First poster:

Dunkirk-poster-620x919.jpg

New image on website:

Can't wait to watch this next week. Had tickets to 2D glorious IMAX this week but the gf no longer wants to go and I'm stuck with 3D Stsr wars. Oh wrll

JB1981

Is it really a big deal? It's the equivalent of a bootleg trailer, or bootleg footage from comic-con.

Agreed! Watched it. This movie is going to be fucking awesome. Feels like it is going to do a very effective job of putting you there in that moment as things unfolded

The dogfighting looks great. No artificial CGI, all real world props. Looks legit. Based Nolan

Shouldn't have watched provided pirate link but did :( prob wouldn't get to see the preview anyway.

Looks amazing. Is that the exact same music they use during the connection scene in interstellar? Basically just play that music and I'm tense

So what did everyone think of this? I thought the footage in the trailers looked good visually but the marketing did not sell just how tense this was gonna be at all.

God damn, that prologue was so good. The way they edited it and used the music to just keep building up to this foreboding german threat. Sound design was terrifying, I thought I was gonna go deaf with the sound of the Stuka bombers. And the dogfight was chaotic, really well shot with the pov IMAX scenes

Such an effective teaser. If the script isn't riddled with too much nolan exposition this will be his best movie even over his stuff before dark knight.

Daft_Cat

The acting by the extras is really distracting but other than that looks interesting.

In the prologue? Curious to know what you're referring to specifically.

Prologue spoilers:
The only shot that features extras in any meaningful capacity is the money shot from the teaser (on the docks) - but it's spliced into the film rather quickly in comparison and features an aerial cut-away that appears engineered to hide the awkward dude. There's not really enough time to notice much of anything before everyone starts ducking for cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom