• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A List of Lesser Known Manga: Because there's More to Manga than Monster and Berserk

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
QuiteWhittle said:
Just read Tropical Citron. What. The. Fuck. Did. I. Just. Read.

Is that a good WTF or a bad WTF?

I've been looking to get into something a little different than the norm and the cover caught my eye.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
faridmon said:
Pluto is still so good. Different approach to Monster which I arpreciate.
Can't wait to finish this and start 20th Century Boys :D

I've been reading 20th Century Boys because of this thread. I i's so good. I've also read Monster which I love. I guess I'll have to check out Pluto next.

El Sloth said:
Is that a good WTF or a bad WTF?

I've been looking to get into something a little different than the norm and the cover caught my eye.
A good WTF. Very surreal, with great art to go alongside it. Story doesn't make a lick of sense though, and the way its presented makes it seem as if the Author overdosed on LSD before writting it.

It's only 15 chapters long with a very quick pace and the sick sex scenes/drug usage take up like 90% of the pages so you'll finish quickly, but you will reread chapters to make sense of it :lol

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Subscribed!

Also, I recommend Not Simple.
fjltlw.jpg

Shit'll leave you depressed when you finish it.

I highly, highly recommend this. The artstyle is a bit unusual, but it grew on me. The story; however, is incredible. I'm already re-reading it again after having just finished it. This definitely is one of my absolute favorite books ever. I loved it that much.

Wizpig

Pluto 8 will come out in Italy soon, and I'm buying 20th century boys aswell.
I'll also start Monster, I think.

As for less known manga... Ikigami, I guess.

Turfster

Needs more Masahito Soda love. Subaru(never have non-animated images of ballet of all things been so dynamic and captivating) and Megumi no Daigo (licensed by Viz as 'Firefighter Daigo', good luck finding it in stores tho) are awesome.

flawfuls said:
Touch/Rough/H2/Katsu/Cross Game by Mitsuru Adachi (Cross Game is Licensed)
Adachi's manga all pretty much follow the same basic formula with a nice blend of sports, romance and comedy.
Liar you lie. =p It's some of his more "obscure" stuff that's his best. Cases in point: Jinbe and Miyuki.

Turfster said:
(licensed by Viz as 'Firefighter Daigo', good luck finding it in stores tho)

Firefighter Daigo was indeed pretty good, but "out of print" sounds almost too generous. By the time Viz released the last couple of volumes, some previous volumes had been out of print for years. I tried to assemble a complete set years back and finally gave up.

flawfuls

Turfster said:
Needs more Masahito Soda love. Subaru(never have non-animated images of ballet of all things been so dynamic and captivating) and Megumi no Daigo (licensed by Viz as 'Firefighter Daigo', good luck finding it in stores tho) are awesome.

Liar you lie. =p It's some of his more "obscure" stuff that's his best. Cases in point: Jinbe and Miyuki.

Yeah Subaru is great, too bad it's not licensed and has the worst scanlation job I've ever seen. I didn't know about Firefighter Daigo, but it seems like it'll be impossible to find anyways.

I like some of Adachi's less popular especially some of the things in short program, but I thought Miyuki was absolutely terrible. Really don't understand the appeal of that one.

Celine

Epic bump but this thread deserves it.
I realized I haven't cited one of my favorite manga ever.

It is F by Noboru Rokuda.
The author is famous for Dash Keppei ( quite popular in Italy ) but , while it has still comic gags especially in the early volumes, the story is serious in tone and deal with drammatic happenings ( suicides, rapes, epic deaths ...).

The story is centered about Gunma Akagi, the step children of a very powerful man that he greatly despise because think he was the main cause of his mother demise.
With the help of his childhood friend Tomotsu, young but skillful mechanic, he abandon the family and start the career as a professional driver with the goal to achieve the fastest competition in the world ( F1 ) and find finally who is the shadow that is continually ahead of him no matter how fast he run.

If you can find, read it !

F-MotoriinPista4.jpg

China Girl
8XjP3.png

Author: Hanagata, Rei ; Artist; Aoyama, Kei
From Shinnen and Pure Scans:
Kamijou is the envy of all of his coworkers. At the office, he can solve any problem. Outside, he is chased by every girl under the sun. Kamijou, however, only has eyes for one girl: Xianglan, a Chinese immigrant who works as a waitress in the local Chinese restaurant. She can't see him as anything other than a customer, and her lack of fluency in Japanese prevents her from understanding him. Will Kamijou manage to woo Xianglan, or is he forever fated to fail?

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=31529

It’s Not My Fault That I’m Not Popular!
SHSzs.png

Author: Tanigawa, Nico
Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular, high school girl, who has had 50 years of dating experience, and 100 boys... in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15 year old shut in, who has all of the qualities of a "mojo."

However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she was, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations...

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=68820

Ryushika Ryushika
AXeN1.jpg

Author: Abe, Yoshitoshi
A series of vignettes portraying the day-to-day life of a little girl with a very vivid imagination.
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=48607

Tenck

Man I remember when I used to hate manga so much. My opinion was "If it's animated it is a million times better."

Now I'm learning to appreciate manga a lot more. Will subscribe to this thread and support manga artists as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom