• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

No idea, I had one credit card on file that was going to get charged, changed it when they first notified they were about to bill, and have had zero problems. If I were you I'd either enter a credit card or ask a family member to use theirs, since you have the cash you can just hand it to them...

I was close to canceling my order last week but I'm getting pumped again & glad I didn't.

Edit: It's probably some sort of block by your bank since it's a debit card and (for some people) a randomly large amount. May want to ask them about it. You have 2 days!

Credit cards are practically banned at home :( . I am trying to ask my sister if I can use her card though because she has a different bank than I do.

Good idea on asking the bank though. Hopefully I can try them tomorrow.

He literally said he thought it was "excellent" so far. ;)

Just excellent? Not superb? Not life-changing?

And there was some ill-informed knee-jerk generic anti-jRPG style bagging on Prompto too. Game sounds like a mess :-(

Seriously, I'm surprised by how uniformly positive the previews have been. Even folks with critiques seem to be finding the whole greater than the sum of the parts, which to me suggests that old final fantasy magic... Dare I hope?

Falk

that puzzling face
It's nothing. I'm just saying that Shimomira hasn't ever really had dynamic music like other composers.

Eh, I wasn't talking about FFXV in particular.

I think there's been a very, very different focus on the western side of the gaming industry vs the Japanese side.

Just to go a little deeper into the spiel I've been repeating for over half a decade now, western AAA does dynamic music a lot (and I mean a LOT) better. It does come at the cost of a modicum of structure and organization, though.

And on the flipside, the way Japanese composers approach things stems from a much more lyrical methodology. I think one thing that stuck with me was a panel I attended where Iwadare-san, Sakimoto-san and Shimomura-san all were present in, I think it was 2011, where it was pointed out that Japanese media tended to be a lot more poetic, whether it was j-rock, to films, to games. Oftentimes the goal is to write music that makes people cry.

True, sometimes it gets to the point where a piece of music (battle themes especially) get so repetitive you want to bash your head against the wall, but overall I do feel that their approach makes for much more memorable music, even if it's a little too forward or cliche for western tastes at times. Case in point being there are touring concert series for Zelda, Final Fantasy, Pokemon just to name a few - that stuff SELLS.

It's something of conflicting goals at best. If you want music to react to the situation in a game, it has to move away from a rigid structure. On the other hand, if you want the music to have leitmotif, chord progressions, etc that carve out a strong identity, it has to move towards a rigid structure.

I think one of the biggest things that I've personally wanted to see was a marriage of the best of what both sides have to offer. Heck, that's what my final college assignment was all about even. (Wow, it's really been half a decade, heh)

Just as much as the Japanese side has to learn about adaptive systems done exceedingly well (like, say, in GTAV) I feel that western AAA could learn a thing or two about aiming to be more than glorified Hollywood scores.

Well, I just called my bank and they confirmed that Square is still using my old card despite me updating it in their system. Just updated it for the 3rd time, and wrote them an email.

This is the last time I'm pre-ordering from them.. All of this for a collector's edition.

Yep, just finished watching it and to the person who had played the 12 hours it sounds mostly the same as other previews. Maybe not as positive as others but it was defending against critique of someone who is obviously not a fan of the main party cast (as we've heard the "boy band" complaints many many times).

Now the other critique about fights being too chaotic is pretty valid I guess (the one saying just in any fight). It's just as I called it earlier, the difficulty is probably going to put off some people. But to that, I say "GIT GUD". But honestly, all the comments (positive or negative) about the combat reminds me so much of Monster Hunter. Am I crazy in thinking that?

Exactly. "Critical" is a strong word to use for the guy who played. He even said he was excited to keep playing. He called it excellent. He had some constructive criticism and that's wonderful. I hope the devs take it into consideration.

But I think this preview continues to show that people who actually get their hands on the game are having a great time with it.

Eh, I wasn't talking about FFXV in particular.

I think there's been a very, very different focus on the western side of the gaming industry vs the Japanese side.

Just to go a little deeper into the spiel I've been repeating for over half a decade now, western AAA does dynamic music a lot (and I mean a LOT) better. It does come at the cost of a modicum of structure and organization, though.

And on the flipside, the way Japanese composers approach things stems from a much more lyrical methodology. I think one thing that stuck with me was a panel I attended where Iwadare-san, Sakimoto-san and Shimomura-san all were present in, I think it was 2011, where it was pointed out that Japanese media tended to be a lot more poetic, whether it was j-rock, to films, to games. Oftentimes the goal is to write music that makes people cry.

True, sometimes it gets to the point where a piece of music (battle themes especially) get so repetitive you want to bash your head against the wall, but overall I do feel that their approach makes for much more memorable music, even if it's a little too forward or cliche for western tastes at times. Case in point being there are touring concert series for Zelda, Final Fantasy, Pokemon just to name a few - that stuff SELLS.

It's something of conflicting goals at best. If you want music to react to the situation in a game, it has to move away from a rigid structure. On the other hand, if you want the music to have leitmotif, chord progressions, etc that carve out a strong identity, it has to move towards a rigid structure.

I think one of the biggest things that I've personally wanted to see was a marriage of the best of what both sides have to offer. Heck, that's what my final college assignment was all about even. (Wow, it's really been half a decade, heh)

Just as much as the Japanese side has to learn about adaptive systems done exceedingly well (like, say, in GTAV) I feel that western AAA could learn a thing or two about aiming to be more than glorified Hollywood scores.

I always felt that the Halo series was quite good in this regard of mixing dynamic structure with themes that more resemble Japanese OSTs.

Though largely, I prefer the structured approach myself of Japanese games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Exactly. "Critical" is a strong word to use for the guy who played. He even said he was excited to keep playing. He called it excellent. He had some constructive criticism and that's wonderful. I hope the devs take it into consideration.

But I think this preview continues to show that people who actually get their hands on the game are having a great time with it.

Critical isn't really a strong word to use for someone offering constructive criticism like the Game Informer staff did. You guys are reaching.

It is different. There's texture pop in, the detail on Ramuh's beard is downgraded, and the VFX are also toned down a lot.

Did the exact same.
I actually cancelled it for a standard edition because I didn't need to watch Kingsglaive anymore and...and this will be an unpopular opinion...Amano's steel book cover art looks like a swirl of vomit. D: Sorry, not sorry!

Yes, it's different. Ramuh is now plagued by texture pop ins too.

Nah, same here. But apparently there's another attack for when you're in enclosed spaces/dungeons (I think it was him throwing his staff instead).

I don't like it much either^^

Thanks, guys. I just watched and yes, I meant animation wise. Anyway, iirc Tabata said the Summons would have more than one attack anyway.

Mailbox

Critical isn't really a strong word to use for someone offering constructive criticism like the Game Informer staff did. You guys are reaching.

I think its more him thinking of Critical as "like a critical punch to the game" where as you are thinking of it as "giving critique".

Thanks, guys. I just watched and yes, I meant animation wise. Anyway, iirc Tabata said the Summons would have more than one attack anyway.

iirc that statement was in reference to where you are when you summon. Like Ramuh as his direct down hit with the staff when you are in open areas, and throws his spear a distance when you are in enclosed spaces.

Rappy

Well I mean, compared to other 15 hour previewers the person who played 12 hours (Matt) did not seem more critical than them (and I had watched the Test Chamber vid before this podcast so maybe it doesn't sound more critical as he kinda says the same things). The other 3 were more critical, but I'm not sure they even played the latest preview build. But I agree, being critical isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think its more him thinking of Critical as "like a critical punch to the game" where as you are thinking of it as "giving critique".

iirc that statement was in reference to where you are when you summon. Like Ramuh as his direct down hit with the staff when you are in open areas, and throws his spear a distance when you are in enclosed spaces.

Oh right. Guess it's the same with Titan's specials where he throws a gigantic rock and punches the ground.

Well I mean, compared to other 15 hour previewers the person who played 12 hours (Matt) did not seem more critical than them (and I had watched the Test Chamber vid before this podcast so maybe it doesn't sound more critical as he kinda says the same things). The other 3 were more critical, but I'm not sure they even played the latest preview build. But I agree, being critical isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I agree with Rappy. Matt expressed excitement and positivity about the game. He wasn't critical about the game.

This might be just how we interpret words differently, but I take the literal definition of critical. (expressing criticism or disapproval; inclined to criticize severely and unfavorably)

It's like me saying IGN's review of Heavensward is critical comparatively to Kotaku's review. Both are positive. Me saying one of them is "critical" is a stretch.

bigmac996

I agree with Rappy. Matt expressed excitement and positivity about the game. He wasn't critical about the game.

This might just how we interpret words differently, but I take the literal definition of critical. (expressing criticism or disapproval; inclined to criticize severely and unfavorably)

It's like me saying IGN's review of Heavensward is critical comparatively to Kotaku's review. Both are positive. Me saying one of them is "critical" is a stretch.

I'm with Kagari on this. The word critical can go both ways. It can mean something is largely negative, but here as a video game critic, he was expressing concern with regards to the combat system. He seemed to have reservations but liked the game.

I guess what I mean to say is that in art, be it film, fine art or games, critique isn't seen as a negative thing. It encompasses the good and bad after careful analysis. Matt's take on battles being confusing and cumbersome indoors is him finding a fault, or being critical on an aspect of the battle system.

I'm with Kagari on this. The word critical can go both ways. It can mean something is largely negative, but here as a video game critic, he was expressing concern with regards to the combat system. He seemed to have reservations but liked the game.

I guess what I mean to say is that in art, be it film, fine art or games, critique isn't seen as a negative thing. It encompasses the good and bad after careful analysis. Matt's take on battles being confusing and cumbersome indoors is him finding a fault, or being critical on an aspect of the battle system.

I think this really has come down to semantics and how we've interpreted each other and what we're inferring from each other. I take the blame on this one. I inferred from Kagari more than what she may have intended. This is why I should be clearer on what I am pointing out in my first responses. I'll try to be better about that in the future.

Rappy

Well I'm really just taking issue with the statement of being "more" critical, but that's just me being pedantic. Is it really more critical compared to other previewers when they all, or most, said the camera in tight places (caves/structures)? I guess he was a little bit more critical on the combat mechanics compared to other previewers, because he never actually gives a definite "I like the combat"/"the combat is good". But again, this debate is just a bunch of nonsense nitpicking on semantics.

I would like to see some more critical previews or more in-depth previews but maybe everything has already been said by everyone from this 15 hour preview.

the_id

I've been playing final fantasy xiv just to get my hype under control for this game. Please be good, please be good. OH GOD PLEASE BE GOOD

Falk

that puzzling face
What exactly do they mean by interactive music in FFXV?

Some examples:

- The music in Hammerhead changing from a laid back acoustic feel to a rock feel when you enter buildings
- The music in Lestallum changing from to have trumpets when you enter certain areas like the market
- Fights like Titan jumping around within the track (Apocalypsis Noctis) depending on the combat situation, e.g. the ending is always in sync with the end of the fight.

bigmac996

I think this really has come down to semantics and how we've interpreted each other and what we're inferring from each other. I take the blame on this one. I inferred from Kagari more than what she may have intended. This is why I should be clearer on what I am pointing out in my first responses. I'll try to be better about that in the future.

Well I'm really just taking issue with the statement of being "more" critical, but that's just me being pedantic. Is it really more critical compared to other previewers when they all, or most, said the camera in tight places (caves/structures)? I guess he was a little bit more critical on the combat mechanics compared to other previewers, because he never actually gives a definite "I like the combat"/"the combat is good". But again, this debate is just a bunch of nonsense nitpicking on semantics.

I would like to see some more critical previews or more in-depth previews but maybe everything has already been said by everyone from this 15 hour preview.

All good guys, total nonsense debate for sure. I think we're all weary from the delays and these little gameplay samplings and just want this damn game to come out already. Soon, friends. Soon.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Some examples:

- The music in Hammerhead changing from a laid back acoustic feel to a rock feel when you enter buildings
- The music in Lestallum changing from to have trumpets when you enter certain areas like the market
- Fights like Titan jumping around within the track (Apocalypsis Noctis) depending on the combat situation, e.g. the ending is always in sync with the end of the fight.

That is awesome.

KupoNut

Thinking lately Square should just pull the Platinum demo from PSN/XBL, it has its charm but when it comes to combat it doesn't exactly sell FFXV.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Some examples:

Similar to MGR boss battles then? Amazing \o/

Some examples:

b8t0pt0g8Tv9e.gif

Thinking lately Square should just pull the Platinum demo from PSN/XBL, it has its charm but when it comes to combat it doesn't exactly sell FFXV.

So glad I played Duscae first. Otherwise the Platinum demo would've done some real damage to my hype for the game.

But having played both, it was a nice tech show case. And that's about it.

Koozek

This so much. Absolutely terrible idea, especially that they still haven't removed it. It does nothing to sell complete newcomers on the game if this is their only exposure to the game. Neither on the party dynamic nor on the open-world, like Episode Duscae at least did. Can't tell you how many came into the recent "Final Fantasy XV is now just one month away. Place your bets: will it be good?" thread saying how bad they thought PD was, assuming it'd be representative of the final game (and you can't blame them, really - it's even called Platinum Demo[/I], which implies it's something good and definite).

If they at least called it "Dream Tech-Demo", or had a small battle-arena mode with the whole party set in the same area you fight the Iron Giant in (basically the TGS '14 demo) selected as the default starting point of the demo so people who just start the demo without checking anything else would've been thrown instantly in the more representative mode and afterwards it could've asked if you wanted to continue with the Kid Noctis dream part. Actually the original plan was to release that TGS combat section as a public demo and Tabata mentioned that several times in interviews. Somehow the changed their minds.

Rappy

Source.

Also a bit of off-screen combat against the big snake from PGW a few weeks ago with someone who knows how to play. Don't know if it has been posted here yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxN-oLtFWxU
See this is what I'm talkin about! SO much more satisfying watching someone who knows how to play! But perhaps, camera control should be easier for wide audience accessibility? But again, this is where I get Monster Hunter vibes in regards to controls and camera control. The player just needs to know how to use it.
That's the trident right?
RIP Luna ;_;
And
yep, "Trident de l'Oracle" Doesn't bode well for Luna, but oh well

Edit: I just realized like half of Migardsomr's moveset is just like Najarala. MonHun style multiplayer DLC (not)confirmed! But also using Armiger mode or whatever looks broken, or maybe that was just for being OP in that demo.

Philippo

The camera during the fight was still messy tho :/

Anyway, i rewatched a couple of Brotherhood episodes today, i wonder if some tracks will be in the game? Not in the car, but throughout the game.
For example, this track would be a great battle theme (even better than whats in the game imho), and this one would go with some emotional moment so well.

Hastati

Really debating whether or not to pick up a pro for release...or just play on ps4 and wait for the enhanced edition whatever.

Now off to rewatch Omen.

AngryNeox

Neo Member
The camera during the fight was still messy tho :/

Anyway, i rewatched a couple of Brotherhood episodes today, i wonder if some tracks will be in the game? Not in the car, but throughout the game.
For example, this track would be a great battle theme (even better than whats in the game imho), and this one would go with some emotional moment so well.
The first one sounds kinda like Yoko. So it can be in the game considering we already heard multiple different battle themes.

Top Bottom