• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

Wow, so pretty much everything we've seen is from the first third of the game? And the press don't know what's in the final 10 chapters? :-O

And it should fucking stay that way. Seriously. I don't want to see or hear about more than what I already have.

Well...there is also the doors that the press couldn't open during chapters 1-5
some backtracking will be needed.

Totally with you here. As addicted to FFXV news as I am, I would like to save SOMEthing for the game.

Virtual-fist-bump to all of you! For a game that's been in development for over 10 years, it would really suck to have the last 10 chapters spoiled for us - especially the ending - when we're so close to being able to experience it all for ourselves. It makes me scared to lurk in any Final Fantasy XV thread from now on...

Totally with you here. As addicted to FFXV news as I am, I would like to save SOMEthing for the game.

Yeah, I agree, it's nice to know everything we've seen is just from the first third of the game. Makes me even more excited!

Virtual-fist-bump to all of you! For a game that's been in development for over 10 years, it would really suck to have the last 10 chapters spoiled for us - especially the ending - when we're so close to being able to experience it all for ourselves. It makes me scared to lurk in any Final Fantasy XV thread from now on...

Work on game for over 10 years (I know this is not technically true shut up)
Reveal spoilers two weeks before release

And I'm serious, they do this all the damned time.

Work on game for over 10 years (I know this is not technically true shut up)
Reveal spoilers two weeks before release

And I'm serious, they do this all the damned time.

But it is true. Versus XIII became Final Fantasy XV - and that was about 10 years ago.

It went through some changes, but it's all been leading to the end product we are all about to play on November 29th.

Spoilers will be everywhere soon I fear; so we should all be extremely wary the next 3 weeks.

Neiteio

But it is true. Versus XIII became Final Fantasy XV - and that was about 10 years ago.

It went through some changes, but it's all been leading to the end product we are all about to play on November 29th.

Spoilers will be everywhere soon I fear; so we should all be extremely wary the next 3 weeks.
Someone's going to post a screencap of Noctis slowly tucking his shirt into his pants... halfway

LUNA: "No, Noct... Not like this..."

NOC: "Call me... NATE."

I don't think you're nitpicking or shitting on the game at all and apologize if I came off that way :p

I don't think frame rate matters until the final build, though. That and it's so improved since the demos even if the youtube videos are perfect representations. We've seen scenes with all kinds of stuff on the screen and it's not been and issue, and I've see small moments where it looks like it drops to about 25 when fighting three enemies. But it never looked like it would be anywhere near as noticeable or distracting as it was in the demos, and by a long shot. I've also seen clips of people intentionally spinning the camera around and it looked positively perfect. Every frame was evenly spaced.

The problem is, without some kind of pattern to it, I'm not sure you can even tell if any frame drops are from overheating or something rather than something you're likely to deal with in the game.
Well that's a relief then :)

Yeah I understand what you are saying. I guess I'm just being a little bit too impatient cause the performance issues are literally the only worry that I have for this game. I'm positive that I enjoy everything else about it. I just wish the game was here already so we could all play it!

Though I guess there is a bright side for XV being a month away for me. I'm playing AC: Unity right now for the first time and God framerate is horrendous in that game! So when XV finally releases, me coming from Unity to FFXV should make the game feel smooth as a butter xD

Koozek

Dat texture pop in. O:
Lol, that's what I will be concentrating on the most in each cutscene. Thanks Tabata! D:
Preorder cancelled.
Actually I did cancel my Deluxe Edition yesterday :D Will get a standard Day 1 Edition instead, as I don't care about steelbooks and all that other unnecessary crap.

Tyaren

Preorder cancelled.
Actually I did cancel my Deluxe Edition yesterday :D Will get a standard Day 1 Edition instead, as I don't care about steelbooks and all that other unnecessary crap.

Did the exact same.
I actually cancelled it for a standard edition because I didn't need to watch Kingsglaive anymore and...and this will be an unpopular opinion...Amano's steel book cover art looks like a swirl of vomit. D: Sorry, not sorry!

Can't watch it now. It's different from Duscae?

Yes, it's different. Ramuh is now plagued by texture pop ins too.

Koozek

Can't watch it now. It's different from Duscae?
Nah, same here. But apparently there's another attack for when you're in enclosed spaces/dungeons (I think it was him throwing his staff instead).

Did the exact same.
I actually cancelled it for a standard edition because I didn't need to watch Kingsglaive anymore and...and this will be an unpopular opinion...Amano's steel book cover art look like a swirl of vomit. D: Sorry, not sorry!

Yes, it's different. Ramuh is now plagued by texture pop ins too.
I don't like it much either^^

Gbraga

Short video from IGN:

Final Fantasy XV - Summoning The God Ramuh In Final Fantasy 15

So, they just automatically come to help? Or did I miss the button prompt?

Ok, I changed my mind. I won't neglect party upgrades so I can spend everything on Noctis. This down animation is annoying as fuck, I want it disrupting combat as little as possible.

I hope you can turn it off in the menu, Dragon's Dogma allowed you to remove all of these party cutscenes.

Masked Man

I said wow
15.jpg

Driver with upwards-spiky hair.
Goofy copilot.
The "muscle" sitting behind the driver.
The "Prince" (Martin Prince) sitting behind the goofy copilot.

This is incredible, even if Noct and Gladio are switched.

Koozek

Ok, I changed my mind. I won't neglect party upgrades so I can spend everything on Noctis. This down animation is annoying as fuck, I want it disrupting combat as little as possible.

I hope you can turn it off in the menu, Dragon's Dogma allowed you to remove all of these party cutscenes.
Yeah, I can see it being annoying too :/ Was that really necessary to signal that someone died? Could've done a red alert message somewhere on the screen. The HUD is a mess (and a bit ugly) already anyway w.r.t. to prompts, labels ("WARP STRIKE"), and big icons (like the huge spinning circle when a quest updates), so one more text for a party member's death wouldn't have made that much of a difference. Or make the HP gauge blink red.

Tyaren

Yeah, I can see it being annoying too :/ Was that really necessary to signal that someone died? Could've done a red alert message somewhere on the screen. The HUD is a mess (and a bit ugly) already anyway w.r.t. to prompts, labels ("WARP STRIKE"), and big icons (like the huge spinning circle when a quest updates), so one more text for a party member's death wouldn't have made that much of a difference. Or make the HP gauge blink red.

Do we by now know what we can turn off? I know we can turn everything off at once...but what if I want to keep the map but loose the fat quest markers in the middle of the screen? x__X

Koozek

Ohhh, this will be interesting for me:

Go behind Final Fantasy XV’s interactive music at GDC 2017
According to the event page, Square Enix worked to make an intelligent music system called “MAGI” that allows composers to create music in any tempo or measures and has customized sync points to make it interactive while remaining epic. In this talk, the sound team behind Final Fantasy XV will share how they created actual music data in their proprietary authoring tools, and issues they faced during implementing them such as synchronization with game scene and looping, fading, etc.

GDC 2017 will take place from February 27 through March 3 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California.​

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
15.jpg

Driver with upwards-spiky hair.
Goofy copilot.
The "muscle" sitting behind the driver.
The "Prince" (Martin Prince) sitting behind the goofy copilot.
I'm picturing Martin brooding on the throne while Somnus is playing.

It is different. There's texture pop in, the detail on Ramuh's beard is downgraded, and the VFX are also toned down a lot.

Eh, I have seen pop in the Duscae version, I don't see any real difference in the beard. If anything the lighting on the beard looks downgraded compared to Duscae. The amount of lightning strikes may have been toned down, I don't think it has lessend the effect though. Maybe the contrary, the lightning explosion in Duscae looks a bit messy to me. The amount of particles in the aftermath seems pretty similar. Overall i don't see as much difference as you seem to. Otherwise, the game is looking nicer than Duscae. IQ and AA are significantly improved.

Game Informer impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_Jtq-Sq0k
They seem to be more critical of the first 12 hours.

They also talk about the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ipJTJ_DHEs

I didn't find the impressions all that critical to be honest. Some of the people on the show played earlier stuff and were worried from earlier stuff. It seemed mostly the panel just trying to see how far the game has come.

The person on the panel who played the game said the only definite negative that he can give it was the camera indoors. So while some of the banter between some of the people on the panel (and the host trying to push his opinion of the game onto the previewer who actually played it) can sound bad, they seemed overall positive about it. Or at least the person who actually played it.

Edit: Listening to this even more, it's funny to hear the guy who actually played it get frustrated at the people lamenting the game even though he is the only one who played the recent stuff. And he didn't seemed thrilled that the host was pushing his negative narrative.

Gbraga

Indeed. Even red text in the middle of the screen saying MAN DOWN MAN DOWN would be less annoying. It would look like complete shit, but at least it wouldn't take the control away from you.

Kinda OT: I need some help to get my UCE paid for. As of now, I have it listed under my debit card.. The funds are in there, the card works, and I've updated my payment method on Square's website, I dunno how many times. I received confirmation not too long ago that everything was updated and I even received the .50 test charge for it..... But, for some reason I keep getting this message!

"Dear customer,

Thank you for your preorder of FINAL FANTASY® XV ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION [PS4].

This notice is being sent because we've been unable to process your payment over the last few days. We kindly ask that you update your payment method by Monday, November 7th, 2016 or we will be forced to cancel your order."

Why is this happening?! How did some of you get yours to go through?

Impressive how "bad" camera and combat looking like a mess since 2011 are still a concern. It was the only negative part of Duscae to me (okay, that perfomance too), so I hope they adress it (heard the devs are working on a day-1 patch for the camera, so there's that at least).

Anyway, bring on the hype!

Ishida

Banned
Kinda OT: I need some help to get my UCE paid for. As of now, I have it listed under my debit card.. The funds are in there, the card works, and I've updated my payment method on Square's website, I dunno how many times. I received confirmation not too long ago that everything was updated and I even received the .50 test charge for it..... But, for some reason I keep getting this message!

"Dear customer,

Thank you for your preorder of FINAL FANTASY® XV ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION [PS4].

This notice is being sent because we've been unable to process your payment over the last few days. We kindly ask that you update your payment method by Monday, November 7th, 2016 or we will be forced to cancel your order."

No idea... I got my credit card charged with the full amount a few days ago. No issues on my end.

Do you have another payment method you can use?

Falk

that puzzling face
Interactive music is common in AAA games, but in games like 'Final Fantasy' that always have a strong melody line and musical progression, it doesn't go well in the same way.

Couldn't agree more. Virtually every music thread on GAF brings up the dichotomy between western triple A and Japanese video game music. I personally think both sides have so much to learn from each other and am glad FFXV has been taking some cues on dynamic/adaptive music.

wmlk

It's pretty amazing we haven't seen the train part yet. The fact that they've clearly mostly showed stuff from Chapter 1 - 5 is exciting, as we know they go to Altissia soon after and things start getting more interesting.

Couldn't agree more. Virtually every music thread on GAF brings up the dichotomy between western triple A and Japanese video game music. I personally think both sides have so much to learn from each other and am glad FFXV has been taking some cues on dynamic/adaptive music.

Well, tbh I don't find dynamic/adaptive music too groundbreaking even with SE titles. It's certainly a new thing for Shimomura's music, though.

Nier still does things so much better. I think composers need to be more open to this kind of stuff.

EDIT: Maybe Nier isn't the best example since FFXV is obviously going for a more ambient vibe and doesn't have constant music. Still, for the layered music it does things much better.

rezn0r

"Dear customer,

No idea, I had one credit card on file that was going to get charged, changed it when they first notified they were about to bill, and have had zero problems. If I were you I'd either enter a credit card or ask a family member to use theirs, since you have the cash you can just hand it to them...

I was close to canceling my order last week but I'm getting pumped again & glad I didn't.

Edit: It's probably some sort of block by your bank since it's a debit card and (for some people) a randomly large amount. May want to ask them about it. You have 2 days!

Koozek

Oh, haven't seen that from Kinda Funny Games (Greg and Tim hosted the FFXV Uncovered event in case you don't know them):

Could Final Fantasy XV Actually Be Good?!?! - Kinda Funny Gamescast Ep. 91 (Pt. 4)
---

Word.

No idea... I got my credit card charged with the full amount a few days ago. No issues on my end.

Do you have another payment method you can use?

Unfortunately no. I have paypal, but it's linked to my bank too. Maybe that will work? I've ordered through them before and never had an issue using a debit.

Maybe it has something to do with my card having a chip.....

Masked Man

I said wow

Totally agreed. I love the omnipresence of music in JRPGs and how the aural component enriches the experience, but allowing the music to respond to changes in the game immensely heightens immersion.

Heh...heh...

Tyaren

Game Informer impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_Jtq-Sq0k
They seem to be more critical of the first 12 hours.

Thanks for that. :)
They weren't really critical about the first 12 hours though. The only guy that actually played the game for 12 hours said he thought the game was "excellent" so far. The others had played maybe an hour or two months ago even before the Gamescom master version. I still remember their coverage.
So far it still are just positive to very positive impressions from international gaming magazins. Kinda crazy. Who'da thunk it. O:

Rappy

They also talk about the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ipJTJ_DHEs

I didn't find the impressions all that critical to be honest. Some of the people on the show played earlier stuff and were worried from earlier stuff. It seemed mostly the panel just trying to see how far the game has come.

The person on the panel who played the game said the only definite negative that he can give it was the camera indoors. So while some of the banter between some of the people on the panel (and the host trying to push his opinion of the game onto the previewer who actually played it) can sound bad, they seemed overall positive about it. Or at least the person who actually played it.

Edit: Listening to this even more, it's funny to hear the guy who actually played it get frustrated at the people lamenting the game even though he is the only one who played the recent stuff. And he didn't seemed thrilled that the host was pushing his negative narrative.
Yep, just finished watching it and to the person who had played the 12 hours it sounds mostly the same as other previews. Maybe not as positive as others but it was defending against critique of someone who is obviously not a fan of the main party cast (as we've heard the "boy band" complaints many many times).

Now the other critique about fights being too chaotic is pretty valid I guess (the one saying just in any fight). It's just as I called it earlier, the difficulty is probably going to put off some people. But to that, I say "GIT GUD". But honestly, all the comments (positive or negative) about the combat reminds me so much of Monster Hunter. Am I crazy in thinking that?

Top Bottom