• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Nintendo DS bullshit goes in here

Seth C

TekunoRobby said:
Seth don't do this. Only buy the hardware if you think it's genuinly worth your time/money. While there are some interesting titles that will be available at launch (the big one being Super Mario 64) and some great titles coming out within the few months (Advance Wars and Metroid Hunters), if none of them interest you then you'll be wasting your money. After a while you'll only regret your purchase and feel the burn of buying based on impulse.

Eh, it wouldn't be the first time. If it were any more than $150 it would be a different situation. I will want Advance Wars, and I have a friend at work that will be buying it, so that'll be fun. Plus, I skipped the SP, so having a device to play GBA games that I can actually see will be nice.

xsarien said:
Yes, and I base that assertion on the fact that it doesn't really lend itself to practical design considerations. Touch screens in future gaming devices? Sure. A stylus does add a lot of legitimate avenues to explore in portable gaming, but I'd sooner expect it to be available on one, large screen. Not two smaller ones.

This, of course, has no bearing on my interest in the device. I'm looking into buying one because of everthing else it offers besides the ability to show me things on two screens at once.

As I see it...the most practical (i.e. non-gimmicky) use of the DS' touch screen is as an adaptable direct input for commands. This would eliminate menu naviagation and make playing games faster, simpler, more intuitve; plus it changes as per game's context so you only have the options available as you need them. A good example of what I'm talking about is Spiderman 2 DS. That is the perfect example of how I expect the touchscreen to be used.

it simply enhances pre-established forms of gameplay. Its not gimmicky...though it may be utilized in a gimmicky manner....but it can be extremely practical. And like anything else, it shouldn't be mandatory to use it if the game does not call for it.

Deg

Banned
Yes demo units will be important to sell DS as its bringing new stuff to the table. Many will be impressed with the touch screen for example.

Re: Touch screen.

xsarien said:
but I'd sooner expect it to be available on one, large screen. Not two smaller ones.

No. There are reasons they are using two screens and hopefully people realised that for gaming two screens are necessary or simply helpful for certain types for games. Especially as the system has a touch screen which some games may need as a seperate screen. For example in MP Hunters the bottom screen is your controller essentially yet the top screen is the game view.

heidern

xsarien said:
Yes, and I base that assertion on the fact that it doesn't really lend itself to practical design considerations. Touch screens in future gaming devices? Sure. A stylus does add a lot of legitimate avenues to explore in portable gaming, but I'd sooner expect it to be available on one, large screen. Not two smaller ones.

Au contrair, the dual screen is the very product of practical design considerations. Two of the main considerations with a portable are portability and durability, factors that were taken to a new level with the GBA SP. Dual screens facilitate the use of a clamshell design for the NDS. If it were only one large screen, they would have to go back to the old model and then just like the GBA and PSP it would be less portable and more scratchable.

When your using the touch pad as an alternate controller it's necessary to have 2 screens.
Spiderman 2 is a perfect example. The touch screen extends the number of face buttons so you have alot of different commands right at your disposal. It's just not as convenient with one big touch screen unless you want a bunch of icons cluttering up the game view.

Kon Tiki

Banned
xsarien said:

This, of course, has no bearing on my interest in the device. I'm looking into buying one because of everthing else it offers besides the ability to show me things on two screens at once.

I can honestley say, I would like to see DS connectivity with revoultion. I would love to use touch screen on a home console. Too bad nintendo tainted the idea in many peopls minds.

Kon Tiki

Banned
PICT0007.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

http://www.toshimaen.co.jp/toyfesta2004/index.html

I am pretty sure this is all that is happening on the 12-13.

The thing I currently find most disappointing about DS is that only one screen is touch screen. Sure, one is a lot more than we've ever had before, but once you start thinking about things you could actually do with them, it seems like having it only work on one screen isn't enough.

Take a real-time strategy game. You could have the action going on on one screen, and the map, options for actions of selected units, etc. on the other. But then you'd be wanting to tap on both.

Or Urbz. As a Sims game, it seems like pseudo-mouse control would work super, but it seems the touch screen is basically a fancy menu. No dragging your furniture around up top.

Memles

I think, realizing that the Touch Screen could have been used as a mouse, that the bullshit GBA conversion of URBZ from EA is bullshit. They could have actually recreated the PC experience, instead choosing to be lazy asses. Par for the course for EA.

I really want to see how an RTS ends up being pulled off; how they will choose to use the touch screen. They've got plenty of options.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Scalemail Ted said:
As I see it...the most practical (i.e. non-gimmicky) use of the DS' touch screen is as an adaptable direct input for commands. This would eliminate menu naviagation and make playing games faster, simpler, more intuitve; plus it changes as per game's context so you only have the options available as you need them. A good example of what I'm talking about is Spiderman 2 DS. That is the perfect example of how I expect the touchscreen to be used.

I said the second screen in general was the gimmick, I'm all for touch screens.

xsarien said:
I said the second screen in general was the gimmick, I'm all for touch screens.

Yeah...but the second screen is there so that you can use the touchscreen effectively.

for example:

spider-man-2-20041007013516949.jpg

See how you have the traditional action on one screen (top screen) and your specific related commands to directly input, located on the other (touch) screen. This seems to me, the most practical application to design a game for the use of the touchscreen. In this example, the touchscreen is used simply to enhace gameplay that we are already familiar with. And if this is an intended application for the touchscreen then the second screen is almost mandatory, screen 1 = action, screen 2 = adapatable input controls.

I'm not saying it can't be used gimmicky, but from what I see as the most practical use for a touchscreen I can undestand the necessity for adding that second screen which could be used as a disply.

Kon Tiki

Banned
EA reveals new details on DS lineup
Concrete details on the new features added to Madden, Tiger Woods, and Urbz on the Nintendo DS inside.

Electronic Arts today issued a press release containing new information on its lineup of launch titles for the Nintendo DS, which will be released on November 21. GameSpot brought back hands-on impressions of all three games--Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf, Madden NFL 2005, and The Urbz: Sims in the City--from Nintendo's Gamer's Summit this past weekend.

Adding to the information released at the summit, EA today fleshed out some more details on each title. "Each of our games has been custom designed for the Nintendo DS, guaranteeing a one-of-a-kind entertainment experience," said Frank Gibeau, EA's senior VP of North American marketing.

Madden NFL 2005 is "the deepest and most authentic handheld sports game ever," says today's release. Players will use the Nintendo DS' touch screen input to select plays and call audibles at the line of scrimmage, then drag the stylus to kick off the ball. The lower touch screen will also show off the Field Radar, which shows players the position of every player on the field. The "heart of the action" will be shown on the top screen.

The game will also feature wireless head-to-head play, authentic NFL uniforms for all 32 NFL teams, and portraits of each player. A full Season Mode will complement such unique gameplay options as Situation Mode and 2-Minute Drill.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour will feature such golfing legends as Vijay Singh and Jack Nicklaus in addition to Tiger himself. Five licensed courses and one fantasy course, all drawn from the console versions of the title, are available for play. The difference is in the swing meter--players will drag the stylus along a curve shown on the bottom screen to swing the club. PGA Tour will also feature wireless multiplayer, this time for up to four players at once.

The Urbz: Sims in the City, a spinoff of super-popular PC game The Sims, will also launch alongside the Nintendo DS. While the console and Game Boy Advance versions of the title will launch earlier in the month, the DS version will contain numerous exclusive features, including 24 objects, a touch-screen menu system, 5 minigames, and exclusive characters--7 human, 5 pets.

All three titles are rated "E" for Everyone. In the months following the DS launch, EA will ship versions of GoldenEye: Rogue Agent and Need
More PR.

Socreges

Banned
I'd just like to say that I watched a lot of that 16 minute SM64 DS video and I'm pretty much sold. It looks great - I might be more excited for the mini-games more than anything else. I just hope there are more than a few of the new platforming levels.

Soul4ger

Deg said:
I am sure EA will come up with better stuff in time.

Have you seen their GBA line-up over the last three years? I doubt it...

Seriously, I really wonder if EA does anything to push GameCube hardware for anyone. And if not, don't you think it might be more worth Nintendo's time to court Sega for their sports franchises? I know a lack of Madden at launch is like the death toll for a console, but.. I'm just bitter.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Soul4ger said:
I've heard great things about Medal of Honor: Infiltrator... and uh... their LOTR stuff. Okay, so that's like 10% of their total GBA releases.

Soul4ger

Dan said:
I've heard great things about Medal of Honor: Infiltrator... and uh... their LOTR stuff. Okay, so that's like 10% of their total GBA releases.

Yeah, I own Infiltrator, it's pretty cool. That's about it, though, unless you wanna include the mediocre Diablo clones that the LotR games are. Otherwise...

Does anyone else feel absolutely dirty every time they buy an EA game? I bought Freedom Fighters for two bones, and I had to go to Confession when it arrived.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Say Midway brought out MK trilogy for the DS, or Capcom with some sort of Street Fighter. Any ideas on what the second screen could be used for in 2d fighters such as these?

Soul4ger

Society said:
The thumbstrap could be used on the touchscreen for analog control.

That might make using the Left shoulder button a little difficult, though. Maybe use the digital pad for movement, and have fierce buttons on the touch panel? I dunno, it would be tricky to work out effectively, but I'm not the game designer.

Drek

metdroid said:
Say Midway brought out MK trilogy for the DS, or Capcom with some sort of Street Fighter. Any ideas on what the second screen could be used for in 2d fighters such as these?
Replays of great moves, a move set list for beginners, maybe make a true 3D fighter like Bushido Blade and have the primary screen show close up action with the secondary showing a more zoomed out view or an overmap. Tons of different things you can do with it in fighting games, some that'd be very cool.

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, IGN's got some good DS videos up. EA's stuff looks way better in motion, Tiger Woods' CAP mode looks stunning compared to the sub-GBA screens we got earlier.

Deg said:
I am sure EA will come up with better stuff in time.
hopefully. i don't care for their games really, but they really dropped the ball by not letting you make your own plays with the touch screen. imagine if they let you do that shit just before every play. the strategy level would sky rocket.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just pre-ordered a his and her set yesterday at Gamestop.... woot.. only 40 more days!

I cant imagine the second screen being used on 2D fighters. They'll probbaly just have some animations looping or extend the background vertically.

What's with all the dating sims and boobie games?

Team Ninja can't be out done in the Boobies department have they signed up for DS?

edit: o_O nevermind those perverts did sign up >_<

jarrod

Banned
Madden and Tiger both look immeasurably better in motion... easily N64 level in terms of geometry and texture work. Similar to Mario 64 & Spider-man ...what's with all the crappy DS shots?

Oh well, I'm a little less worried about GoldenEye now.

jett

D-Member
seismologist said:
I cant imagine the second screen being used on 2D fighters. They'll probbaly just have some animations looping or extend the background vertically.

Dewd, the second screen could be used as a virtual 6-button arcade panel.

jarrod said:
Madden and Tiger both look immeasurably better in motion... easily N64 level in terms of geometry and texture work. Similar to Mario 64 & Spider-man ...what's with all the crappy DS shots?

Oh well, I'm a little less worried about GoldenEye now.

I agree, though Spiderman seems a little more stunning than the rest of the lineup. I'm really curious about the screens myself, notice the clouds in the video for Tiger Woods DS and the ones in the screens. EA games seem to have horrible load times though, considerably worse than the ones Nintendo has hidden.

I could think of more than a few things you could do with a touch panel/2 screens for a fighter.

One idea would be to have a "DBZ" type game where all the fighters can fly around and depending on if your in the air (top screen) or on the ground (bottom screen) your movesets change and are also different relative to where your opponent is.

Another idea would be to take the 'spiderman' type of control idea and extend it to a Tenchu type of game where you have several different "stances" you can switch to on the fly. It make for a really deep, flexible combo system.

Deg

Banned
the GBA game has a mini trailer of the movie at the start.

Soul4ger said:

Based on their GBA lineup they will do. :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I know I'm coming from an obviously biased perspective but I'd kill to have more games that revolve around the use of your drawings with a stylus. Games like Magic Pengel were BEGGING to use a stylus and thankfully the developer is quick to make a DS port. I would love to have games that force you to be creative with your drawings (and even teach you how to draw properly, edutainment!) and also your ideas.

Scoobert

Hey, how about Wheel of Fortune? Pretty much anything that requires a keyboard. Wheel of Fortune has been on nearly every console. The DS would be perfect I think.

Top Bottom