• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Nintendo DS bullshit goes in here

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Drek said:
Replays of great moves, a move set list for beginners, maybe make a true 3D fighter like Bushido Blade and have the primary screen show close up action with the secondary showing a more zoomed out view or an overmap. Tons of different things you can do with it in fighting games, some that'd be very cool.

I reckon a moves list would work pretty well for 2d. Better than nothing.

cvxfreak

1. GBA Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green - 2,290,878
2. PS2 Dragon Quest V - 1,572,497
3. PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 - 1,045,739
4. GBA Pokemon Emerald - 1,016,843
5. PS2 Sengoku Musou - 1,002,312
6. PS2 Jissen Pachislot: Fist of the North Star - 791,402

That's a list of the top selling games of 2004. And each of those titles has a sequel, spinoff or port coming to DS.

aparisi2274

Ok i got a question.

Didnt Nintendo say all their games are gonna sell for like $29.99 and that 3rd party games will sell for like $29.99 - $34.99????

Well when i was in my local EB tonight, and we were looking up the DS games, they all came up as $40.00

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!

Does anyone know if those are still place holder prices?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
http://www.mainichi.co.jp/life/hobby/game/news/news/2004/10/08-1.html

article dated 10/8, but
While discussing the two handheld game systems debuting at the end of the year, Hirokazu Hamamura, president of game-magazine giant Enterbrain, commented today that users may hold off on buying the Nintendo DS (available December 2 for 15,000 yen) and the PSP (available 2004; no price set) could face a delay in its debut.

Hamamura pointed out that while the Nintendo DS' price will satisfy users, there are no popular game titles launching alongside the system, leading to the possibility that users will hold off on buying it immediately. According to Hamamura, they could instead turn to the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo's old handheld system that was recently discounted to 9800 yen.

On the topic of the PSP, Hamamura stated that software development is likely behind schedule, bringing up the fact that the PSP units revealed at the 2004 Tokyo Game Show still could not run games on UMD discs. He also pointed out "the possibility of a delay to March", bringing up the delay of a price or release date announcement as another minus.

Hamamura stated that the marketplace for game systems is in the "software harvest" stage. Sales of the PS2 have fallen since the system is already widespread in homes; however, many popular games, including Dragon Quest 8, will go on sale at once this year, likely leading to increased sales over last year, he said.

It really doesn't matter, once Pokemon DS hits, Japan will be taken over. I can agree with what he's saying though.

Other than that, the DS's line-up is arguably better than the GBA's a few years back, and there were still long lines for that.

AniHawk

I think PSP might be delayed soon. The DS only has SM64 at launch, and on the N64 it took something like 2.5 years to get around the sales amount it's at today.

Date of Lies said:
It really doesn't matter, once Pokemon DS hits, Japan will be taken over. I can agree with what he's saying though.

Other than that, the DS's line-up is arguably better than the GBA's a few years back, and there were still long lines for that.

That is true. Super Mario Bros. 2 SNES port and Mario Kart, and that was about it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If the PSP units the girls were carting around at TGS weren't running games on their own, what were they running off of?

Grubdog

Banned
Hamamura pointed out that while the Nintendo DS' price will satisfy users, there are no popular game titles launching alongside the system, leading to the possibility that users will hold off on buying it immediately. According to Hamamura, they could instead turn to the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo's old handheld system that was recently discounted to 9800 yen.
t000082b.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"If the PSP units the girls were carting around at TGS weren't running games on their own, what were they running off of?"

I think the charge was that they were running memory sticks not UMDs

ManaByte said:
If the PSP units the girls were carting around at TGS weren't running games on their own, what were they running off of?

Weren't they running games of off memory sticks (or whatever those things are called)?

I just browsed that Square Enix software in development list and I'm a bit surprised that SE is putting quite a bit of ressources behind the DS. 6 games currently in development for it, only 1 for GBA and none (or 1 unannounced) for PSP. I thought SE would show more support to Sony. But the DS would make for some very interesting RPGs.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Doesn't the Japanese DS launch have more popular titles? I thought there were a couple significant titles, as opposed to the rather dull US launch.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I can't believe these so called "analysts" just said that Super Mario 64 wasn't popular.

explodet

Dan said:
Doesn't the Japanese DS launch have more popular titles? I thought there were a couple significant titles, as opposed to the rather dull US launch.
Some would say it's the other way around - EA's got clout. The power of Madden could bring in the numbers; although the franchise isn't exactly known for its handheld success.

Insertia

When your launch killer app is a nine year old platformer I wouldn't call that a very good launch.

This article is correct. The DS games shown so far aren't enough to sway gamers from picking up the much cheaper GBA instead.

puck1337

Date of Lies said:
I just browsed that Square Enix software in development list and I'm a bit surprised that SE is putting quite a bit of ressources behind the DS. 6 games currently in development for it, only 1 for GBA and none (or 1 unannounced) for PSP. I thought SE would show more support to Sony. But the DS would make for some very interesting RPGs.
Inexpensive development. Nobody knows what the tie ratios are going to be like for the PSP, but I don't think anyone is expecting it to be what console tie ratios are like. Especially with movies and music available to consume the user's time. So if a game has a solid concept, but it might not be a blockbuster, it might be better off on the DS where it can be done on the cheap.

Grubdog

Banned
Dan said:
Yeah, Pokemon Dash and Wario Ware should sell pretty well.

puck1337

It'll sell out in Japan for the first while, but they'll need something amazing (and DS-native) to be released shortly after the new year if they want to maintain any momentum. The same applies in North America, but to a lesser extent, since the market here is just huge.

GaimeGuy

Insertia said:
When your launch killer app is a nine year old platformer I wouldn't call that a very good launch.

This article is correct. The DS games shown so far aren't enough to sway gamers from picking up the much cheaper GBA instead.

and the original game boy's reason for success was a little five year old or so puzzle game known as Tetris. :)

And the GBA's big launch title from Nintendo was Super Mario USA.

As you can see, when it comes to handhelds, people don't mind if the games are 5+ years old. As long as they retain their original appeal, and are adapted slightly for portability (like adding a save option in Super Mario USA, or allowing you to save anywhere in RPG ports from the SNES to the GBA).

the DS' launch is Nintendo's biggest ever, in fact. Five first party launch titles: No other Nintendo system has had that.

GaimeGuy

Um, a SHITLOAD of adults bought the original GB for Tetris.

Mario and Pokemon are popular with kids, but they're just as popular with adults. There's no reason why Mario 64 shouldn't do well, and I don't think people have a problem with Mario 64 being on the DS. :/

Brofist

krypt0nian said:
Now you made vomit come up in my throat.

Gamedaily? <spit>

Did you even read those impressions..they were actually pretty positive. Their complaints were minimal.

Memles

The Japanese launch isn't bad at all; it kicks the US launch's ass. Still, I REALLY think SM64DS will be enough to sell the system.

Look how much even the Lost Levels are selling. There is still an appetite for Mario in Japan.

Waiting on Advance Wars/Wario/Mario Kart to make it to NA before biting, personally, but can't say the DS launch in Japan is too bad at all.

Mashing

It's all moot when Jump Super Stars come out... that's a true killer app of pokemon-lite proportions.... DS will have no trouble selling when that comes out.

GaimeGuy

oh give me a break, it looks FINE the way it is. Sure, the screens look like shit, but take a look at the game in MOTION. You don't notice anything wrong with the textures.

Grubdog

Banned
snapty00 said:
I will pay big money for the DS to have texture filtering. I need Super Mario 64 DS to be texture-filtered. Please.
OH NO, what a crime it would be if it didn't have TEXTURE FILTERING! DS doesn't cater to graphic whores like yourself, go and pre-order a PSP if you care about graphics so much.

cvxfreak

Super Mario 64 DS will be the first million selling game for the DS on a worldwide scale. In Japan, if Super Mario 64 DS doesn't sell a million, then Pokemon DiPe will be the first million, or perhaps two million seller in Japan. Super Mario 64 DS has a million clinched in the U.S., no doubt.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
pfff. who wants a game we've already played to death?!?

Give me Ridge Racer, Musou, Mingol, Bom... oh...

kpop100 said:
Did you even read those impressions..they were actually pretty positive. Their complaints were minimal.

Don't care for them at all. I no longer read their "journalism"

It wasn't about how good/bad they made DS out to be.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Why doesn’t Nintendo bundle the latest brand spanking new Mario game with the DS and revolution? Parents would eat it up I remember when I got my SNES at the first Christmas it was lunched in Australia and it came bundled with Mario world (one of the best games ever).

If Nintendo did this and the console was a similar price to the PS3 and Xbox2 they would have a Stella launch.

Top Bottom