• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

From the Ikkitousen Strong Climb 2016 tournament, Block B show in Hokkaido on 4/9/16:

Strong guy vs. fat guy matches are always entertaining, even if they are fairly formulaic. Will the strong guy be able to pick up and slam the fat guy? How will the fat guy respond to being picked up and slammed? Daisuke Sekimoto, and his squeaky, scratchy voice is very distracting. It makes me think of Kermit the Frog, for some reason. A fat vs. muscle collar and elbow lock-up only gets Okabayashi some patronizing pats on the chest, as if Hama is telling him that fat is going to win the day today. The facial expressions from both men in this sequence make it great. Okabayashi's face is a visage of concentration has he tries to summon the muscle power to face Hama once again. Another stalemate lock-up, and Okabayashi's had enough of this shit. He chops Hama hard, and that just pisses Hama off. On to the test of strength, as Okabayashi tried to ram Hama off his feet. None of these charges work, so Okabayashi moves to chops. They also fail. Okabayashi gets baited into a sunset flip and gets squashed. Okabayashi's pained kick-out makes you question the futility of living. Hama takes control and steps on Okabayshi's stomach and ribs because he is a fat guy and a dick and he really didn't like getting chopped. Wrestling Ryota Hama seems like a deeply unpleasant experience. Okabayashi attempts a comeback out of the corner with chops, but he eats a Hama flip for his troubles. Okabayashi dodges a Hama splash, and he goes to work with a couple of charges. No idea why Okabayashi goes for an Olympic slam, but he can't pick up Hama up. Okabayashi's attempt to powerslam Hama fails miserably, and both men are down. Only more pain awaits Okabayashi: a booty slam from Hama in the corner, a DDT, a fat elbow, and a splash off the ropes. Okabayashi begins his comeback with a strongman suplex and a series of running lariats. However, Hama hits a crossbody, and the commentators start freaking out when Hama goes for another diving splash off the ropes. Hama hits two more for good measure to advance in the tournament. This was another fine fat guy vs. strong guy, as Hama continues to be a great fat guy. Whatever belt Hama possesses looks like a toy in his hand. A nice show of respect between the two caps the match. Unfortunately, this wasn't as good a match as the one they had in January, the one that featured Okabayashi's lariat to Hama's ass.

The TNA Ospreay thing was pretty hilarious, they completely misjudged how much of a commodity he was and thought that by allowing him to work their UK tour he'd be grateful enough to ignore all the interest from other (better) companies.

The only thing TNA's good for is UK TV exposure and charging more for bookings so promoters can put "featuring TNA Superstar..." on their posters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The TNA Ospreay thing was pretty hilarious, they completely misjudged how much of a commodity he was and thought that by allowing him to work their UK tour he'd be grateful enough to ignore all the interest from other (better) companies.

The only thing TNA's good for is UK TV exposure and charging more for bookings so promoters can put "featuring TNA Superstar..." on their posters.

Don West is the last thing TNA had that I legitimately enjoyed.

Toki767

They had the choice between Ospreay, Mandrews, and Grado.

They chose Mandrews and Grado.

TNA being TNA.

RBH

Does anyone know of any older fan who believes wrestling is real? Or at least has a blurred understanding of the scripted stuff?

Yup.

image.php

ghostmind

Yeah he noped the fuck out with the quickness after the Dome show last year

I still think someone got him. Right before WK he was talking about how he now had an arrangement to sub the KinPuro videos, and he was going to start re-uploading the old content, as well as new content. And then there were his comments about being an official outlet for New Japan merch.

I mean he literally disappeared off the face of the planet at the end of WK.

Alucard

Banned
Dalton Castle is the next great wrestling star.

I love him. Turns conventions on their ear, and could be the great homosexual babyface if used properly. I'd love to see him on a bigger stage like the WWE, but I feel Hayes and McMahon would just laugh and make it a gay gag.

I still think someone got him. Right before WK he was talking about how he now had an arrangement to sub the KinPuro videos, and he was going to start re-uploading the old content, as well as new content. And then there were his comments about being an official outlet for New Japan merch.

I mean he literally disappeared off the face of the planet at the end of WK.

lol you mean someone killed him?

I think someone probably just poached him, he probably works for NJPW now

Acorn

It amazes me how loud Paige can be when she's calling spots. I'm the kind of person that pretty much never notices that kind of stuff, but she makes it so obvious that even I can hear it.
Austin advised her to speak up.

HUH!

One more match for today since I have a little bit of time before I have to get out of the house: Eita vs. Ciclon Ramirez, Jr. from the Dragon Gate 3/28/16 show. People seem to be very excited that this match was taped, so I'm checking it out to see why.

A promo from CIMA, possibly to explain who the heck Ciclon Ramirez, Jr. is, opens the match. Apparently, Ciclon Ramirez, Jr. is Ciclon Ramirez's son, so this isn't completely sketchy. Some basic lucha stuff to start, as this is going at maybe 70% of Dragon Gate's normal speed. I'm fighting Rutube's UI, which makes capturing gifs a bit of a pain. Ciclon Ramirez hits a tope headbutt that would suck if he ever misses. Some shitty stomps from Ramirez, and Eita counters with a 619 to Ramirez's back and a big DDT. Good lord Ramirez's kicks and stomps look awful. "Eita no Molestar," according to the Eita's ass. Wacky lucha submissions, and I'm beginning to wonder who Eita pissed off to have to go to a time limit draw against Ciclon Ramirez, Jr. Not worth the time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why havent I ever seen Enzo and Cass on any Takeover special?

Toki767

why havent I ever seen Enzo and Cass on any Takeover special?

Pretty much every other tag team on NXT has been better than them from a workrate standpoint.

I think they fought Blake & Murphy at one of them though. The one when Alexa turned heel?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pretty much every other tag team on NXT has been better than them.

why are they a big deal then? im not being a dick here, just wondering. Watching this video of them on raw last week and the crowd seems to know all the catch phrases like they are the new age outlaws (back in the day)

It amazes me how loud Paige can be when she's calling spots. I'm the kind of person that pretty much never notices that kind of stuff, but she makes it so obvious that even I can hear it.

Even in this match, her whispers to Emma are super loud. It doesn't help that she talks to Emma right in front of the cameras.

Kaladin

why are they a big deal then? im not being a dick here, just wondering. Watching this video of them on raw last week and the crowd seems to know all the catch phrases like they are the new age outlaws (back in the day)

Like the New Age Outlaws, they have the charisma to make up for what they lack in the ring.

klonere

Banned
And, as always, ROH has taken too long, squandered most of the initial heat that he had, stuck him in a feud with Silas Young that took way too long, and have to rebuild him.

Seriously, I haven't watched ROH nearly ever but follow along with the B&V show reviews and this feud has been going on FOREVER with exactly one twist (Silas gets the boys) and one resolution (Dalton gets them back) and absolutely nothing fucking else. It sounds painful to watch on weekly basis, shit moves so SLOW.

Pikma

Banned
I had no idea who Volador jr. was until yesterday when I saw a recent match of his against Caristico and holy shit, I'm now a big fan.

Rhaknar

Like the New Age Outlaws, they have the charisma to make up for what they lack in the ring.

that... actually makes sense I guess. So they mostly show up (or used to) in the weekly nxt shows?

UberTag

Seriously, I haven't watched ROH nearly ever but follow along with the B&V show reviews and this feud has been going on FOREVER with exactly one twist (Silas gets the boys) and one resolution (Dalton gets them back) and absolutely nothing fucking else. It sounds painful to watch on weekly basis, shit moves so SLOW.
Didn't Cedric Alexander and Roderick Strong feud for like a year or longer? I know it felt like an eternity.

Kaladin

that... actually makes sense I guess. So they mostly show up (or used to) in the weekly nxt shows?

Pretty much. They've had some title shots but there have always been teams better than them in the ring.

They are leagues better than most in NXT on the mic though. They get the whole larger than life thing.

most of the NXT tag teams are probably destined to job on the main roster, let's be honest. Even American Alpha is pretty much Prime Time Players 2.0.

Barrage

most of the NXT tag teams are probably destined to job on the main roster, let's be honest. Even American Alpha is pretty much Prime Time Players 2.0.

I disagree about American Alpha (although they will def need vignettes to get over).It's amazing how they still haven't had an NXT team with the size to not seem small when they get called up. It's funny despite its weak-ass tag division, NXT is the one with the annual tag tournament.

Aiii

So not worth it
Workrate doesn't mean shit, when will you guys learn?

Enzo and Cass are one of the few people from NXT that will go far on the main roster because they have what most of NXT graduates are missing, real charisma.

None of this faked gimmick shit, legit characters, a guy that towers over his opponents and a guy that can outtalk anyone on the roster without breaking a sweat. And you can't teach that.

Toki767

Enzo and Cass are one of the few people from NXT that will go far on the main roster because they have what most of NXT graduates are missing, real charisma.

None of this faked gimmick shit, legit characters, a guy that towers over his opponents and a guy that can outtalk anyone on the roster without breaking a sweat. And you can't teach that.

WWE offers classes for that though.

UberTag

Does Cass have any of this charisma or is this really just about Enzo? And if they're so lacking as a tag team work rate-wise and Vince being such a lover of big men hosses, would this dynamic work better on the main roster with Cass as a singles star and Enzo managing him?

Aiii

So not worth it
Cass is great, smart and managed to get a jobber over based on the color of her pants alone through adlib.

Top Bottom