• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So are all the people that complain about Stephanie never getting her comeuppance happy now?

They popped huge for man on woman violence. It's safe to say they're ok until the end of the day when they get off work and need another woman to get beat up to feel good about themselves.

Sephzilla

After letting Mania sink in overnight I like the show a little bit more than I did initially, but I still wouldn't say it was especially good/great. I'd put it in the bottom third of all Manias.
  • Didn't care about any of the pre-show matches
  • Speaking of the pre-show, WWE needs to make up its mind with how it handles the pre-show. They put matches on the pre-show in order to get people to tune into it, and then they show video packages for all of the matches in order to build up hype. Okay, makes sense. But then during the actual show they show the exact same video packages before each match and basically ignore that the pre-show did this already. Make up your mind on whether or not watching the pre-show is essential.
  • The ladder match was pretty good and had some legitimately good spots. At my #Safe WrestleMania party everyone was waiting for Sin Cara to screw something up, his botching ability has gone mainstream. Ryder winning was a feel good moment but I feel like it was the wrong move. The only real story going into this match was Owens/Zayn, and neither of them even factored into the final moments of the match.
  • Zack Ryder winning followed immediately by Chris Jericho beating AJ Styles was a bad omen for the rest of the night
  • Did New Day seriously lose a non-title tag match at WrestleMania simply so Austin, Foley, and HBK could get their spots in?
  • Rusev and Woods selling Stone Cold Stunners was pretty sweet, though
  • Ambrose/Lesnar felt like it ended 5-10 minutes too early. It was over just as it started getting good
  • I like Charlotte, but Lynch and Sasha are both better than her. Plus a new belt should come with a new champion.
  • The Andre Battle Royal was fun in a stupid way. DDP, Shaq, and Tatanka (in 2016) were all silly. I marked out for Corbin winning
  • I don't have an issue with Rock squashing the Wyatts because the Wyatts were dead in the water already.
  • Undertaker/Shane was better than it honestly had any right being. Shane is crazy. But Shane basically killing himself all for nothing took the wind out of my sails a bit because it means THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE
  • Rita Repulsa Stephanie McMahon was awesome and HHH's intro felt very Mil Muertes. But man, I've never heard such a dead crowd for a Mania main event before. Roman's not over in any way.
Basically it was a decent show with some fun moments but holy shit the actual booking of who won and lost felt like it was WWE Battleground in front of 100,000 people. Nothing got resolved and almost nobody came out looking better than they did going in.

Zach

So are all the people that complain about Stephanie never getting her comeuppance happy now?
Not really. I don't expect her role to change at all because of one spear. And I'm not too keen on a dude dealing the comeuppance.

She took it like a champ, though.

Aiii

So not worth it

It was one of the few memorable things of last night, and she sold that huge like a champ. It was good.

I think the problem wasn't that she didn't get a comeuppance though, since The Authority is still in power and on TV, nothing has changed. Most people want the whole storyline gone, not just a one-off thing like this.

imBask

Banned
Jericho kicking out of the Styles Clash and winning is still a disgrace btw, WWE deserves to die a slow and painful death because of stuff like that.

Aiii

So not worth it
They popped huge for man on woman violence. It's safe to say they're ok until the end of the day when they get off work and need another woman to get beat up to feel good about themselves.

But Sunny Mac... Why aren't you complaining about the crowd popping when Becky Lynch beat up an old man? Is it okay for young fighters to beat up old people?

Zach

It was one of the few memorable things of last night, and she sold that huge like a champ. It was good.

I think the problem wasn't that she didn't get a comeuppance though, since The Authority is still in power and on TV, nothing has changed. Most people want the whole storyline gone, not just a one-off thing like this.
I see we are the same person now, former arch-nemesis Aiii.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Ha, that's what I thought when I saw it! Like out of everything on the whole show, that's what got the biggest pop? Stay classy, WWE Universe.

Sephzilla

It's okay to pop for when a babyface young woman goes out of the ring to deliberately attack a 70 year old man, but it's wrong to pop when a babyface male wrestler accidentally spears a heel woman who shouldn't have been in the ring in the first place because she wasn't wrestling?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But Sunny Mac... Why aren't you complaining about the crowd popping when Becky Lynch beat up an old man? Is it okay for young fighters to beat up old people?

She beat him up? I missed it. I would be happy with it.

It's okay to pop for when a babyface young woman goes out of the ring to deliberately attack a 70 year old man, but it's wrong to pop when a babyface male wrestler accidentally spears a heel woman who shouldn't have been in the ring in the first place because she wasn't wrestling?

Are you suggesting this might be a double standard considering the shit shoveled into womens' mouths over the past, I dunno, forever?

bjork

When 70 year old man is a creepy sexual predator that lobbied to kiss her in a match awhile ago and she probably still listerines the fuck out of her mouth every day trying to get rid of that, yes.

[edit - new page

NM4EacH.gif

Kaladin

I can't wrap my mind around how the same company can be responsible for Takeover: Dallas and Wrestlemania 32 in the same weekend.

One card was an amazing 2 hours top to bottom, the other card was a 5 hours of good wrestling with questionable booking.

One card had a match of the year candidate anywhere you go in the world in Zayn vs Nakamura and the other card had it's potential best match of the night in Lesnar vs Ambrose short changed in time, the best match of the night ending with old man Flair, a 46 year old nearly killing himself to not even come close to beating a 51 year old and the same guy largely responsible for giving the fans what they want on Takeover shitting all over the fans in the main event by putting over the worst top babyface on this side of forever.

We're talking night and day from the same company here.

imBask

Banned
listening to WOR, they were putting cues on the fucking titantron?! they're saying they put "WOOO" for people to cheer Charlotte at some point?! what the actual fuck are they doing

kiguel182

Also, how tired are the "you are all smarks" argument? Can't believe people keep derailing discussion with that.

And the mentality of "he was in the ring with The Rock so it's fine" makes no sense. Was The Rock getting beat by Macho Man when he was heel? No, no he wasn't. And if he was it wouldn't help him either.

This whole show was ridiculous save for the women's triple threat (if we ignore the ending).

Fox318

listening to WOR, they were putting cues on the fucking titantron?! they're saying they put "WOOO" for people to cheer Charlotte at some point?! what the actual fuck are they doing
As the lapsed fan said

Vince thinks he is making a sitcom in front of 100,000

imBask

Banned
Also, how tired are the "you are all smarks" argument? Can't believe people keep derailing discussion with that.

And the mentality of "he was in the ring with The Rock so it's fine" makes no sense. Was The Rock getting beat by Macho Man when he was heel? No, no he wasn't. And if he was it wouldn't help him either.

This whole show was ridiculous save for the women's triple threat (if we ignore the ending).

lol what a smark, kids enjoyed the show so who cares!

I can't wrap my mind around how the same company can be responsible for Takeover: Dallas and Wrestlemania 32 in the same weekend.

One card was an amazing 2 hours top to bottom, the other card was a 5 hours of good wrestling with questionable booking.

The one theory I'm sticking to is injuries. Injuries screwed up their timeline and story for WM. They should have adopted and changed well enough b/c they've been doing this for 30 years. But I think the number just got to them.

I guess they're trying to go for the sports thing like when at NFL or MLB games you'll see "MAKE SOME NOISE" come on boards.

I felt it was a mediocre to poor show based on performances, with awful booking. What tips the show towards to lower end of the scale was the length, which was inexcusable.

Yep, basically they pulled a Harlem Globetrotters with that shit. They had the Suplex count on there too.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

One card had a match of the year candidate anywhere you go in the world in Zayn vs Nakamura and the other card had it's potential best match of the night in Lesnar vs Ambrose short changed in time, the best match of the night ending with old man Flair, a 46 year old nearly killing himself to not even come close to beating a 51 year old and the same guy largely responsible for giving the fans what they want on Takeover shitting all over the fans in the main event by putting over the worst top babyface on this side of forever.

We're talking night and day from the same company here.

2 different people with different ideologies running their own respected organisation. The difference is vast when HHH is in control on NXT, I am just wondering when the time comes how will he transfer over to WWE Raw/Smackdown, keep the nxt formula or adapt because it is o longer "indie"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

The Rock getting beat by Macho Man? What are you even talking about?

bjork

Woman are superstars now... That means that Sasha can challenge Zack Ryder tonight. Fuck a women's championship.

But it's time for the formation of the jWo tonight. Jersey World Order. Carmella can fight her.

(is long island by jersey? I'm busy living on the best coast so idk)

Sephzilla

Ugh, there was someone in the WM OT last night doing that and it was really annoying. Simply saying Roman's name has gotten boos at pretty much every TV event the last 3 months and he got booed out of the building at the largest WrestleMania ever. Clearly it's just smarks, right?

Kaladin

The one theory I'm sticking to is injuries. Injuries screwed up their timeline and story for WM. They should have adopted and changed well enough b/c they've been doing this for 30 years. But I think the number just got to them.

I agree, it would have been a much different card with Cesaro, Orton, Rollins and Cena on board.

The Rock's segment summarized the entire PPV. Even with the injuries, WWE has all talent and ability to work with and create something good, but instead they do what they do.

Forkball

LAW Radio spoiled some of Nakamura's upcoming taped matches. One of his opponents is none other than
THE DRIFTER ELIAS SAMSON

Striker

That event felt like a waste. A regular PPV with amped up theatrics.

- Stardust's attire is really cool. OK so far, dumbass superkick spam with Ziggler and Owens. Sin Cara and Stardust kill each other with that dive. I did like the Miz's arrogance at the end, and allowed Ryder to steal it. But, Ryder, who hasn't done anything in years and is a random entrant to the match, winning is just bizarre. Fine match, nothing terrible.
- Is this the fourth Styles-Jericho match? Commentary already doing the Styles nerves talk. This is also fine, probably the best one they've done so far. At the same time, you can see them go so much. The ADR/Sheamus, Christian/Orton, Cena/Edge, Punk/Bryan. They're fine contests but just so many times you can see it. Shame the Styles Clash is just another move. AJ gets Sting'd.
- Why isn't this a 2 on 2 tag match for the titles? Why is this a 6-man tag? Waste of time.
- This feels like a waste of Brock. Dean is one of those guys the commentary tells you he's nuts, tells you he welcomes pain, but he's awful. He looks like he's from 1997 ECW feuding with Axl Rotten. His punches are the absolute worst. His 'signature' moves are terribly done and cringe worthy. This no holds barred match that is practically chairs and kendo sticks. A total waste of Brock, shame.
- About time they ditched that terrible Diva's title, but not feeling the new one. It's overly huge like the WHC is. Becky is caked in makeup. Charlotte and a big push-up bra for reasons. Nice womens' match, despite interference. Byron Saxton is awful.
- Deadman talking about his yard and his house. Not feeling this match. Shane's doing a lot but it is missing something. Interference or some type of fuckery is something I expect(ed). Another case in point, Last Ride delivered, Shane kicks out and commentary acts if it can careless. Match leads to a high fall and ultimately ends it. Owen voices, no Vince, nothing.

I think I end it there.

Guys, remember when the only pop Roman heard all night was when he hit a woman?
People like these moments. Fans also were more into Lana and Summer Rae tangling ripping clothes off each other rather than Paige and Sasha Banks.

Question Gaf, Did the Warrior have more moveset than either Cena or Reigns?
No. But none of that mattered to how over he was.

But it's time for the formation of the jWo tonight. Jersey World Order. Carmella can fight her.

(is long island by jersey? I'm busy living on the best coast so idk)

I think she's from Staten Island
Long Island is near Jersey
But as a Jersey native gtfo with combing LI and NJ. People in NYC don't even like LI

bjork

Question Gaf, Did the Warrior have more moveset than either Cena or Reigns?

I would say he probably has more than Reigns, but I think outside of clips I've only seen three entire Roman matches, so it's tough to say.

Warrior had presence and intensity, so he didn't need that other stuff.
Run down
shake ropes
guy attacks UW from behind
finally UW has enough of that shit and turns invincible
clotheslines the fuck out of the guy like 7-8x
press slam
that little hop pin thing he did
run to the back

Total work time outside of PPVs: four minutes.

To be fair, I feel like Roman was looked upon more positively when he was used sparingly too.

I think she's from Staten Island
Long Island is near Jersey
But as a Jersey native gtfo with combing LI and NJ. People in NYC don't even like LI

Oh, so it's one of those stupid "we're the capital of earth" things?

Striker, only reason I asked is because Warrior really didn't get heckled for stuff like S.O.S. and Boring but yet Cena and Reigns get crapped on. Tells you that fans these days aren't really fans.

Kaladin

It was a 7 hour show with little to zero resolution or set up for any future matches.

GG vince!

I felt like we'll see more of Ambrose vs Lesnar but that was mostly because the match wasn't even allowed to go into second gear before Brock said "fuck this hardcore shit, I'm out".

Also probably set up Sasha vs Charlotte with Flair holding Sasha back from breaking up the pin.

Maybe we'll get a Ric Flair on a pole match, or Ric Flair in a cage suspended above the ring.

Top Bottom