• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

Wouldn't you want to transfer some of those people into regular viewers, though?
Here's Vince's opinion on that train of thought.
tumblr_n8m6wbDWUE1sodzggo1_500.gif

Striker, only reason I asked is because Warrior really didn't get heckled for stuff like S.O.S. and Boring but yet Cena and Reigns get crapped on. Tells you that fans these days aren't really fans.

Hogan didn't get shit on for that stuff either, it was a different time

LOL Ambrose didn't even get to use the crowbar he'd been teasing for weeks. Wow

So that's 3 "equalizers" that didn't get used. Hopefully it'll all get resolved at 'Mani-oh, wait....

All I wanted was Brock to bend the crowbar in half. Would be amazing. Kendo stick was close but less effective

imBask

Banned
Maybe bland wrestling doesn't work anymore. Maybe wrestling NEEDS to go over the top like LU does

Maybe Vince Russo was right all along

Sephzilla

Part of the reason Hogan and Warrior didn't get heckled for their limited movesets is also due to there being less TV time back in the day, so their limited arsenals didn't get exposed as fast.

I felt like we'll see more of Ambrose vs Lesnar but that was mostly because the match wasn't even allowed to go into second gear before Brock said "fuck this hardcore shit, I'm out".

Also probably set up Sasha vs Charlotte with Flair holding Sasha back from breaking up the pin.

Maybe we'll get a Ric Flair on a pole match, or Ric Flair in a cage suspended above the ring.
Russo, what's going on dude? What if Flair has a nose bleed from being in the cage above the ring

kiguel182

lol what a smark, kids enjoyed the show so who cares!

Clearly the kids weren't loud enough.

The Rock getting beat by Macho Man? What are you even talking about?

I'm saying it would be the same if that happened back in the day. It didn't.

Having an old guy (in this case he isn't even an active wrestler) beat young talent isn't good for anyone. Putting The Rock above everyone isn't helping anyone.

Ugh, there was someone in the WM OT last night doing that and it was really annoying. Simply saying Roman's name has gotten boos at pretty much every TV event the last 3 months and he got booed out of the building at the largest WrestleMania ever. Clearly it's just smarks, right?

It's ridiculous I agree. Dismissing someone's opinion like that contributes nothing to the discussion either.

Part of the reason Hogan and Warrior didn't get heckled for their limited movesets is also due to there being less TV time back in the day, so their limited arsenals didn't get exposed as fast.

Yep, you didn't see Hogan and Warriors limited moveset every fucking Monday night. You gotta be more diverse in the ring these days because you are severely overexposed

bjork

Striker, only reason I asked is because Warrior really didn't get heckled for stuff like S.O.S. and Boring but yet Cena and Reigns get crapped on. Tells you that fans these days aren't really fans.

There were probably adults that were like "who is this zero workrate dickhead, Bockwinkel would stretch him in a second" but that 100% was not what WWF was going for at the time, which is probably why it works.

There's also the fact that by the time Warrior was done in WWF in 96, consumer internet was a "new" thing, so people were using it to get low-quality jpgs of the Pink Ranger instead of bitching about wrasslin.

Also the notion of almost all WWF TV being taped means not as much in the way of unfiltered crowd reaction. People were tired of Warrior shortly after his second run started in 92. In 96 it feels like he fell off even quicker, even though I still enjoyed seeing him on the show.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Bockwinkel in his prime dealing with Warrior would be interesting. Bock would do whatever the fuck he wanted to.

kiguel182

After this show I wish even more than people didn't have to "graduate" from NXT. At this point seeing people I like on Raw just bums me out because they won't use them to their fullest potential.

Also, how tired are the "you are all smarks" argument? Can't believe people keep derailing discussion with that.
I've said it before. "Smark" is now pretty much used to say "I disagree with you". Most people calling other people smarks are fucking smarks themselves anyway.

bjork

Maybe bland wrestling doesn't work anymore. Maybe wrestling NEEDS to go over the top like LU does

It doesn't need to raise the bar, it just needs to realize what it really is: it's dumb shit for people who are looking for a fun and silly escape. If they want to watch legit fighting, they'll go see... whatever one of those shows is. UFC, I guess.

Man, Bockwinkel in his prime dealing with Warrior would be interesting. Bock would do whatever the fuck he wanted to.

Haha, yeah. Just the mental image is pretty amusing. I liked Warrior and all, but Nick would've made him look silly out there.

kiguel182

I've said it before. "Smark" is now pretty much used to say "I disagree with you". Most people calling other people smarks are fucking smarks themselves anyway.

Exactly. Everyone here is a "smark".

But it's just a dismiss way to treat the other person. WWE is just a TV show and you are either entertained by the people there or you aren't. There isn't any ulterior motives here.

oh the were

DSCN2281_crop_exact.jpg

What am I looking at?

Sephzilla

WWE doesn't need to go crazy over the top in order to be successful, it just needs storytelling that isn't insultingly stupid to your intelligence. If there's one common link between Lucha Underground and NXT, it's that they have competent storytelling and things make sense when they happen.

Striker

I mean, Hogan did get booed but it wasn't because of his moves. He was doing dickish things and lots of fans were catching onto it, hence the Sid Vicious elimination to him in the '92 Rumble and fans cheering it. Warrior is a different matter. Even in '96 he was still hugely over.

Kaladin

After this show I wish even more than people didn't have to "graduate" from NXT. At this point seeing people I like on Raw just bums me out because they won't use them to their fullest potential.

From the pre-Wrestlemania conference call, it seems like more and more people are being signed with the ultimate goal of being NXT guys. Moving to the main roster is there as a possibility, but they're building NXT as a brand and need stability.

kiguel182

Oh man, I didn't even mention the way Cole and the others were treating Taker vs Shane as a MMA match at the start. Wtf was that?

He is right.

It's entertainment and the storylines are basically non existing. If you give compelling stories than people will enjoy the product more. Also swerves need to be there as long as they make sense.

WrestleMania was a 5 hour show and if you go 20 min match after 20 min match, they crowd will get tired. So that's why you have the battle royals and as much as people hate it, The Rock's segments. Those things break up that "just wrestling". Sometimes a good story and ten minutes of wrestling is fine.

Also, the attention span of people is smaller now than it has ever been. Sometimes I wonder how we keep our crowd engaged during theatrical shows now. Really, I do. We talk about possibly allowing them to use their phones in the theatre now simply because they always want to be connected and engaged.

But Russo is right, this is coming from a journalist and theatre perspective.

kiguel182

From the pre-Wrestlemania conference call, it seems like more and more people are being signed with the ultimate goal of being NXT guys. Moving to the main roster is there as a possibility, but they're building NXT as a brand and need stability.

I hope so. My hope right now is that NXT makes enough money to keep people and have them earn enough money.

Keep growing NXT is something that I'm all for.

Sephzilla

I'd also like to point out that 6 years retired (!) Shawn Micheals delivered a significantly better superkick than anything the Usos or Ziggler did

imBask

Banned
Exactly. Everyone here is a "smark".

But it's just a dismiss way to treat the other person. WWE is just a TV show and you are either entertained by the people there or you aren't. There isn't any ulterior motives here.

What am I looking at?

the only thing that matters, money

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The two buddies I was with marked out for Corbin winning as well. I was sad, I wanted Henry to win it ;(

I would have been fine with that, but at least he got to be on the card. CORBINNNNN

Kaladin

Is it wrong that part of me hated having HBK and Stone Cold back in the ring for such a shit segment?

I didn't care about Foley as much because we'll never get another match out of him. But HBK and Stone Cold can still give us something.....why not save seeing the stunner and superkick again for that something?

Sephzilla

The only reason I didn't like the HBK/Austin segment was because it meant New Day, the most over people on the main roster, had to lose so the League of Jobbers could get mic time

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd also like to point out that 6 years retired (!) Shawn Micheals delivered a significantly better superkick than anything the Usos or Ziggler did

That's no surprise. Man, having those three come out and do their signature spots were great. It's obvious Foley will never wrestle again in his life, and Stone Cold is 100% done considering how fat and out of shape he is, but HBK was in shockingly good shape. Great segment. I loved it.

The only reason I didn't like the HBK/Austin segment was because it meant New Day, the most over people on the main roster, had to lose so the League of Jobbers could get mic time

Totally disagree, they could have got that winning as well, easily.

LoN needed this, badly. They have an easy rapport with each other too, and it shows. Great group of folks.

Hex

Banned
I didn't care if he won or not but yes, I hated that moment.

It is not just his winning as a whole to me, it is his winning after kicking out of the Clash and then now going out and saying Styles was never in his league and they are done.
Which means that either Styles looks like a chump, or now Styles has to again chase Jericho for a match with Jericho saying no no no until it happens.
Either way again, Styles is tied up with Jericho for a week, two weeks or hell the way WWE does things maybe until Summer Slam.
There are better people I want to see Styles against.

Sephzilla

That's no surprise. Man, having those three come out and do their signature spots were great. It's obvious Foley will never wrestle again in his life, and Stone Cold is 100% done considering how fat and out of shape he is, but HBK was in shockingly good shape. Great segment. I loved it.

Totally disagree, they could have got that winning as well, easily.

LoN needed this, badly. They have an easy rapport with each other too, and it shows. Great group of folks.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I marked out because it's fucking Austin and HBK. Also yeah, I was surprised at how in-shape HBK looked. I was also kind of surprised that he came out in his full wrestling attire

bjork

It is not just his winning as a whole to me, it is his winning after kicking out of the Clash and then now going out and saying Styles was never in his league and they are done.
Which means that either Styles looks like a chump, or now Styles has to again chase Jericho for a match with Jericho saying no no no until it happens.
Either way again, Styles is tied up with Jericho for a week, two weeks or hell the way WWE does things maybe until Summer Slam.
There are better people I want to see Styles against.

He should come out dressed as Jericho and start ripping on Jericho's midlife crisis shit until he has no choice but to come out and wrestle.

Gurrry

Styles losing to Jericho still perplexes me. I will never understand that.

Are we about to get another month build for Jericho vs Styles at WWE Rehash PPV next month? If so, jesus christ kill me. They are going to ruin AJ's pops by repeating the same matches with him constantly.

FyreWulff

Woman are superstars now... That means that Sasha can challenge Zack Ryder tonight. Fuck a women's championship.

You're not going to see intergender for a long time in the WWE now due to sponsors and well, sexism.

I'd like to see it done, because it's pretend fake characters, but WWE can't do it right so I'd rather they not even try anymore. It only worked before because the wrestlers would book it themselves.

Current WWE has women that should be able to hold themselves up against certain guys suddenly turning completely useless if they're in the ring at the same time because Vince is so fucking scared of a woman even looking anywhere near competitive vs men. They even forced the video games to always rate the women lower than the men. The lowest tier enhancement talent got rated higher than Beth Pheonix.. fuck off, Vince.

Sephzilla

Styles losing to Jericho still perplexes me. I will never understand that.

Are we about to get another month build for Jericho vs Styles at WWE Rehash PPV next month? If so, jesus christ kill me. They are going to ruin AJ's pops by repeating the same matches with him constantly.

Jericho beating Styles is this year's Triple H beating Sting. It made absolutely zero sense story wise and probably only happened because Vince still has a hardon for making sure WWE looks strong.

Jumbo gonna knock you out;

S8TThsG.gif

Taue hit that first lariat so hard the impact put himself off balance;

lPOC0Zs.gif

Look at the goddamn rotation on the moonsault, how the hell...

iBb251F.gif

kiguel182

When Stone Cold and HBK came out I was like "oh, so this is what they are doing".

Clearly people pop for them but seeing old guys come out to earn a paycheck and do their moves and then go away does nothing for me.

They had their day, let the new guys have it now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, Wade Keller calling Reigns an embarassment right off the bat on the post show

This is so silly to me. Reigns didn't do anything wrong. He's a victim of his booking. That's all.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I marked out because it's fucking Austin and HBK. Also yeah, I was surprised at how in-shape HBK looked. I was also kind of surprised that he came out in his full wrestling attire

I figure if you're in that shape, then do it!

Gurrry

What did you think of the match?

I thought the match was fine. It had a big match feel and I thought Roman held his own. It was good, but not great. Maybe not worthy of a Wrestlemania main event, but outside of the man on woman violence, I kind of dug it. Not even a Roman fan.

That knee to the face HHH delivered when Roman attempted to spear him was one of the best spots of the night. It looked vicious.

Man, that match was a snoozefest. If you watched all 12 hours of WWE programming (preshow, etc) and you waited for that... you couldnt be anything but disapointed. The steph spot was the coolest part IMO.

Romans matches are rinse and repeat and do the same shit all the time. Same with HHH to a degree.

If we really dont get the reigns heel turn tonight, then yeah, that was one of the worst matches on the card.

God damn. Of all people he is usually the most willing to give WWE leeway on their decisions.

Yeah, Keller generally tends to come across as fairly restrained when it comes to evaluating WWE (at least from his appearances on Austin's podcast). Shit, he even suggested that Haitch going over Sting was likely because he'd need to look good going into WM32. Calling Reigns an embarrassment says a lot in this case.

This is so silly to me. Reigns didn't do anything wrong. He's a victim of his booking. That's all.

He gets more opportunities than the rest of the roster combined. Fucking Damien Sandow managed to get over with a series of dumb gimmicks. I think it's right about time to stop absolving Reigns of all responsibility for failing to get over.

I loved the one where he delivers that huge lariat. That was amazing. Can't tell if work or shoot that's how good it was.

That one sounded SO brutal;

9qvDVtT.gif

Jumbo was in full angry old bastard mode at this point, the harder he hit the young upstarts, the crazier the crowd got. I don't think there's many tag matches in wrestling that have the heat of Misawa's New Generation Army vs Tsuruta-gun, just wild action every time they met.

Sephzilla

What did you think of the match?

I thought the match was fine. It had a big match feel and I thought Roman held his own. It was good, but not great. Maybe not worthy of a Wrestlemania main event, but outside of the man on woman violence, I kind of dug it. Not even a Roman fan.

That knee to the face HHH delivered when Roman attempted to spear him was one of the best spots of the night. It looked vicious.

One of my friends actually fell asleep after the HHH/Roman match started. Shit, even I was starting to feel my eyes get heavy at that point. The match was boring plus I was just burnt out because the show had gone on for way too long.

The carny days worked in WWE. They need more of that shit. It seems like they take themselves too seriously behind the curtain and it translates to onscreen. Where is the mystery around Sister Abigail and her identity? Something like that could save the Wyatts. Also, on other side of the spectrum, something as simple as a feud starting because someone brushed up against the shoulder of another wrestler passing by could do wonders. My feeling is that they overthink how to create programs and forget how to have fun.
Soap opera writers don't know fun. Fun for them is Ben sleeping with Jennifer while her husband Marshall is in the bed at the same time drugged up on illegal muscle relaxers.

MG310

Rock wasn't kidding about the Wrestlemania babies

Daniel Bryan did a classy thing after his wife Brie Bella won her match at WrestleMania 32 on Sunday night.

Bryan, who recently retired due to health issues, took to social media after Brie won her final WrestleMania match with his infamous "Yes! Lock" and congratulated her and wrote about how proud of her he is.

Bryan wrote, "So proud of this woman! My wife, my rock and the love of my life... Not only did she do a great job tonight, but she's poured her heart into wrestling for the last 8+ years. I am truly the luckiest man alive to be with her... Now let's work on that baby making!"

FyreWulff

They really need to change Reigns' gear. I just hate how his wrestling gear just literally looks like an ad because it's his Trademarked Logo Do Not Steal. Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way. Like he's a giant action figure. Like it just increases his manufactured feel even more.

It somehow comes across as even more irritating than Cena's shirts, but at least Cena doesn't have them on while wrestling so you're not staring at a Trademark for the entire match.

Top Bottom