• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| A Max Landis Production

kiguel182

the nxt booking team has done a pretty great job at created a dedicated audience and expanding it greatly every year

their product is also beloved. that has to count for something.

The most amazing part is that what NXT does is building a product for their audience and make logical decisions. They aren't reinventing the wheel there but WWE can't even do that.

They also don't script every little thing and let wrestlers be creative. Who knew that would help...

You can at least make it look like Shane hit him though, not have him completely roll out of the way before impact.
He didn't hit Taker on the table on Raw, shouldn't have made a difference here. Obviously "you never know what could happen" but Shane stepped straight off of the cell. Whatever. It's just frustrating that this is what everyone wanted/expected, and while totally being a crazy spot, it's wasted

bjork

Cornette is borderline senile these days. Don't put that motherfucker in charge of anything.

The only one using the words "in charge" is you. Blue suggested a creative team that would probably be pretty good. Better than people with a background in writing tv dramas, at any rate. Are there other guys who could slot in there and also have good ideas? Sure. Is this going to ever happen anyway? No.

Mahonay

Banned
The only one using the words "in charge" is you. Blue suggested a creative team that would probably be pretty good. Better than people with a background in writing tv dramas, at any rate. Are there other guys who could slot in there and also have good ideas? Sure. Is this going to ever happen anyway? No.
He's burned tons of bridges and is combative in most situations. Cornette could not work in any kind of role in current WWE.

Like he could make a great consultant no fucking doubt, I agree, but he'd get himself fired pretty much immediately from WWE.

Jerm411

But that's Shane. He'll find a spot in a match to perform an extreme move. It would of been better if Taker took the elbow drop. I personally thought Taker was. Don't worry like others I cringed too.

I honestly am shocked they still went through with it...I know it's Shane and that's his gimmick but that was asking for something REALLY bad with little to no payoff coming off of it.

ElRenoRaven

They got rid of him because he knew what made sense and he was a favourite. A company with Cornette, Heyman, and JR is a damn good company.

Yea no to Cornette. I say JR & Hayman would be great combo. Then get someone who can run the business side well and you have a winning combo.

bjork

He's burned tons of bridges and is combative in most situations. Cornette could not work in any kind of role in current WWE.

Like he could make a great consultant no fucking doubt, but he'd get himself fired pretty much immediately from WWE.

I think a consultant is a perfect fit, maybe just have him on a skype call or something. It's kind of similar to how I felt about Jake when he was in the shits: great mind for the business, but isn't built for the 9 to 5 of that end of the business.

I remember watching a couple of those guest booker videos and it seemed like other than Disco, everyone had pretty good ideas. I feel like wrestling is probably easier to write than other shows because the concept is simple, and the outcomes can also be so simple. idk

Thinking about WWE creative just makes me unreasonably angry. Sorry friends.

You're not alone in that. I'd be into watching the show if it sounded more enticing in the reports.

I don't think you can go with NXT style booking at the current stage WWE has built itself too. You're asking them to get rid a lot of what makes the WWE the WWE: production value At least to me why NXT works so well is that it's very old school in it's approach where there isn't production all over, tons of promos, etc. It's just the wrestlers coming to the ring and telling the story that way.

Maybe there is more to it, but I don't think simply going with "Put X in charge of booking" immediately fixes it. I mean just look at this WM. They brought out 3 Legends contract guys just to get a pop and for no other reason than to do their famous moves and move on.

bjork

The only answer is the Vince amnesia angle. Lets you reboot the show and people would watch to see what the hell they're thinking.

Jamie OD

Got to meet Kikutaro at a show in Shinjuku FACE today. He said he's moving to Las Vegas in December so hopefully that will lead to more presence on the US Indies for him. Also said he couldn't understand Grado most of the time when they were filming Colt Cabana's latest documentary.

kiguel182

I don't think you can go with NXT style booking at the current stage WWE has built itself too. You're asking them to get rid a lot of what makes the WWE the WWE: production value At least to me why NXT works so well is that it's very old school in it's approach where there isn't production all over, tons of promos, etc. It's just the wrestlers coming to the ring and telling the story that way.

Maybe there is more to it, but I don't think simply going with "Put X in charge of booking" immediately fixes it. I mean just look at this WM. They brought out 3 Legends contract guys just to get a pop and for no other reason than to do their famous moves and move on.

NXT has great production values. It looks slick and it's well produced. It's just on a smaller stage than the WWE.

Wrestlers also have promo time, quite frequently too. They have video packages and all of that. It's very mini-WWE in that regard without some of the most obnoxious things WWE has like the constant shilling.

Wrestling should no,be more than 1 hour. It should not be every week.

Sam Mushnick uses to take summer off to watch baseball.

WWE just barfs content out and it hurts them in the long.

listening to WOR, they were putting cues on the fucking titantron?! they're saying they put "WOOO" for people to cheer Charlotte at some point?! what the actual fuck are they doing

They had the suplex counter, a "Woo," a "Ay, we want some New Day," and a "New Day Rocks" graphic during those respective matches.

Fox318

boy I can't wait to spend like a thousand bucks to go watch this shit live

in a hallway on a tv

at least give me my free chair so I can sit down

They never have issues for NFL games or concerts.

So why is it when the carnys come to down everything breaks?

Got to meet Kikutaro at a show in Shinjuku FACE today. He said he's moving to Las Vegas in December so hopefully that will lead to more presence on the US Indies for him. Also said he couldn't understand Grado most of the time when they were filming Colt Cabana's latest documentary.

You're part for the Alan4L Japanese excursion? That sounds like it's been an amazing trip so far.

Mahonay

Banned
I think a consultant is a perfect fit, maybe just have him on a skype call or something. It's kind of similar to how I felt about Jake when he was in the shits: great mind for the business, but isn't built for the 9 to 5 of that end of the business.

I remember watching a couple of those guest booker videos and it seemed like other than Disco, everyone had pretty good ideas. I feel like wrestling is probably easier to write than other shows because the concept is simple, and the outcomes can also be so simple. idk

You're not alone in that. I'd be into watching the show if it sounded more enticing in the reports.
Fuck man I know. It SHOULD be easy. Most of this shit isn't hard, especially when you're booking some of these matches at Mania, all you have to do is provide the audience a solid conclusion. They fuck that the simplest parts of pro wrestling these days because Vince has convinced himself for the past decade that he doesn't put on a wrestling show anymore, it's a theatric entertainment show. Why follow long held and sound rules of wrestling booking? Fuck it, I'll hire an army of low pay soap opera writers with zero knowledge of the industry to book my shows.

Still can't believe this happened

CfK7B-_UAAAf52N.jpg

NXT has great production values. It looks slick and it's well produced. It's just on a smaller stage than the WWE.

Wrestlers also have promo time, quite frequently too. They have video packages and all of that. It's very mini-WWE in that regard without some of the most obnoxious things WWE has like the constant shilling.

That's what I'm getting at though. NXT production reminds me a lot of early WCW/WWF. There's production, but it's tamed, and promo segments aren't always live or 10 seconds long before an interruption.

Knowing I have to sit through another 10 minute Haitch intro at Mania (Why does only he get these well drawn out intros?) has me annoyed alreadyt

Jamie OD

You're part for the Alan4L Japanese excursion? That sounds like it's been an amazing trip so far.

It's been great so far. A crazy task to be sure but I've gone through 4 shows already with 3 or 4 more to go in the next week. I'm also doing my best to find a lot of time for other tourist stuff.

kiguel182

That's what I'm getting at though. NXT production reminds me a lot of early WCW/WWF. There's production, but it's tamed, and promo segments aren't always live or 10 seconds long before an interruption.

Knowing I have to sit through another 10 minute Haitch intro at Mania (Why does only he get these well drawn out intros?) has me annoyed alreadyt

I think the main problem is that Raw is 3 hours. To follow NXT's model they would have to ditch Smackdown and make 2 hour Raws again.

And they won't do that so here we are.

Kaladin

One thing I don't get is how this Wrestlemania packed that stadium.

This Wrestlemania of all of them. Wrestlemania isn't always a sellout, not even the great ones, but they somehow managed to pack the house with 30k more people than a typical Wrestlemania attendance.

And people knew it would be somewhere between a shit show to a slightly okay show going in.

It's been great so far. A crazy task to be sure but I've gone through 4 shows already with 3 or 4 more to go in the next week. I'm also doing my best to find a lot of time for other tourist stuff.

I feel worn out after 3 shows in 3 days (TakeOver, Evolve 59, WM), and I can't imagine doing that kind of run in another country. But I'm looking forward to hearing Alan's show about it when he's back.

This Wrestlemania of all of them. Wrestlemania isn't always a sellout, not even the great ones, but they somehow managed to pack the house with 30k more people than a typical Wrestlemania attendance.

And people knew it would be somewhere between a shit show to a slightly okay show going in.

The brand and spectacle sell themselves. The matches aren't the draw for most people.

Jim Cornette got brother shook lmfao. He's a great mind, like I said, he's mentally fucked but with someone like Ross being the middle man he'd be great. Same with Russo, he'd be great with a middle man like Ross. I just wish Vince would remember how he almost fucked himself the last time and how he dug himself out. I'm not saying The Attitude Era is needed but I'm saying, you need more ENTERTAINING TV.

I wonder what's Kevin Sullivan doing these days. Basically the Wyatss are DoD 2.0

Anth0ny

the brand is strong enough to sell itself. the card doesn't mean shit.

though if they pump out a couple more stinkers like this show I don't know how strong the brand will be in a couple years...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The brand and spectacle sell themselves. The matches aren't the draw for most people.

The Wrestlemania brand sells out, this is correct. Mania has been selling out every year for some time now. It's huge. Effortlessly. The card doesn't matter. Agree.

kiguel182

Regarding the women's division:

Now that they have an actual belt they need to call up some women. As good as those three are they can't make up for the "Total Divas". That division needs more people to remain competitive and relevant.

According to Meltzer, names tagged for possible debut tonight include (but are not limited to)
Anderson & Gallows
Enzo & Cass
, and
Apollo Crews

kiguel182

According to Meltzer, names tagged for possible debut tonight include (but are not limited to)
Anderson & Gallows
Enzo & Cass
, and
Apollo Crews

I'm sad losing one of the most entertaining parts of NXT. But man, their pop is going to be amazing so win-win.

Also, I hope that last name is used better than it was on NXT. I doubt it but still.

Kaladin

The Wrestlemania brand sells out, this is correct. Mania has been selling out every year for some time now. It's huge. Effortlessly. The card doesn't matter. Agree.

Wrestlemania 30 didn't even sell out.

So no, Wrestlemania has not been selling out every year for some time now.

Wrestlemania 30 attendance: 75,167

Mercedex Benz Superdome Max Posted Occupancy for American Football: 76,468

Top Bottom