• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Sooo I take it a lot of the feedback around this game is negative? I was planning to pick this up but maybe I'll wait for a price drop if the game has a lot of problems.
It's a good game and a good entry to the series, but there are a few changes that make many of us scratch our heads and it's really buggy.

rvy

Banned
Assuming there's gonna be more patches, it'd be nice if they fixed the alternate colors bug for cutscenes. If the other outfits show up, there's no reason why the assassin outfit with different color schemes wouldn't.

Alternate_outfits_concept_art.jpg

And whatever happened to that first costume? I thought I was gonna unlock it by picking up all the feathers, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Bladenic

Assuming there's gonna be more patches, it'd be nice if they fixed the alternate colors bug for cutscenes. If the other outfits show up, there's no reason why the assassin outfit with different color schemes wouldn't.

And whatever happened to that first costume? I thought I was gonna unlock it by picking up all the feathers, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

That middle costume looks badass, can you unlock it and how?

Sooo I take it a lot of the feedback around this game is negative? I was planning to pick this up but maybe I'll wait for a price drop if the game has a lot of problems.

I wouldn't call it a bad game really. When someone earlier said "one step forward, two steps back" they nailed it. There are some really amazing elements to the game, but the promise of more of that stuff is all that is pulling you through the many, many frustrating elements, so if you get easily frustrated with games you should wait to buy it. But if you enjoy the other AC games you're doing yourself a disservice by skipping this outright because it has some of the series' highest highs.

I've been conflicted because a lot of things I keep finding issue with in the game were things I knew were also in past games, and I was wondering if maybe it actually was better than those games but I'd just gotten so tired of the gameplay those flaws were becoming a bigger deal.

It's not true. I played about two hours of AC2 on PC today and it's just amazing how pretty much every single thing carried from that game has been made worse in 3. 2 is just a much more polished game overall than 3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Reading about what people had for glitches I guess I'm exceptionally lucky. Here a list of the worst things that happened to me:

Stealth mission, I killed someone by shoving him down an edge but instead he flipped into the air and his dead body alerted the other guards.
Checkpoint put me back approximately 5 seconds.

Running up invisible walls in the frontier.

Having the animation spaz out for a few frames while running through the trees.

Jumping in the frontier and getting desynchronized while in mid-air because I allegedly was out of bounds.

The last is probably the most infuriating one and that happened after I completed the game and the checkpoint put me back 30 seconds from where that happened.

So compared to the other stuff I've read like falling through geometry, not being able to finish objectives because the templar you're supposed to kill spawned inside a wall. That would of course be annoying but in 38 hours of playtime I didn't have that kind of stuff.

rvy

Banned
(Story-related mission with bugs)
The entire prison section has tons of them. Connor keep going inside the ground whenever he goes up or down the stairs.

And the mission sucks. They almost all do. Trash campaign. Boring, unpolished, and not very AC-like in terms of style. Too much variety with bad mechanics.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Got it, so it seems like it's a very good game with some mind-boggling design choices that could sour the game in some areas. I've played AC 1/2/Brotherhood and I like the series in general, so I will probably pick this up over Black Friday. Brotherhood is I think the weakest of the games I played, but mainly because I tried to get 100% synchronization for all the missions and the ability to insta-fail with no chance to retry checkpoints was completely and utterly frustrating. Then I just ignored the optional missions and started having fun again.

exYle

This 'cross the battlefield without taking damage' thibg is bullshit.

When you're taking cover, watch the edge of the cover for bullet ricochet. Make sure you have your next piece of cover lined up. The moment the bullets hit, run for the next cover. The last bit of cover is a bit of a doozy because it's a little unclear where it is: for the record, the last two pieces of cover are pretty much right in front of the enemy line - one in front, and one to its left. Only took me a few tries.

It's a pretty divisive game. Let's get the bad out of the way first: if you didn't like Assassin's Creed before, you're not gonna like this one, because they haven't changed much. On the same hand, if you loved Assassin's Creed before, they have changed just enough stuff so that certain elements become suddenly unfamiliar (e.g., combat, double assassinations, Assassin recruit management, free-running, resource management and crafting, ranged weapon attacks, etc.) It's also arguably the glitchiest title of the series, with various AI, visual and temporary mission-breaking jank.

However, at the same time, it has many things that make it the best AC game in the series. The Naval combat is the best side-mission addition in the entire saga (fuck you, tower defence). The combat animations are the best, most varied, and brutal. The combat itself, once you get the hang of it, is just as fun (if not more fun) as the previous games. Hunting, while not fully fleshed out as it could be, can still be quite fun. The characters, specifically the antagonists, are awesome, up there with Cesare from Brotherhood. Desmond finally gets a stealth/combat mission that's actually enjoyable. Tree running is fantastic. And so on and so forth.

Ultimately, this is very much a "decide for yourself" kind of game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
After-credits question:

I seriously need someone to explain the animus
synching, am I supposed to understand what the hell this guy is talking about? Pivot to retrieve hex codes, what?

And please tell me there's an option to wear the hood again..!

Edit: Well it turns out I can't. I fucking cannot. This is like the ultimate punch in the face after that terrible ending. Why the hell would they do this? Haha I am so angry right now, this entire ordeal has been so utterly frustrating for me and they top it off by screwing me over like this for no reason whatsoever. Goddamnit.
Yeah I didn't want to play with terrible hair connor anymore.

Naval combat was incredible for me but the game literally exploded down the stretch. Still loved the first half. Guess I am weird. Also I didn't really have glitches.

American rev was big setting mistake. Cities looked like shit. Not interesting. Not cool. Want France please.

When you're taking cover, watch the edge of the cover for bullet ricochet. Make sure you have your next piece of cover lined up. The moment the bullets hit, run for the next cover. The last bit of cover is a bit of a doozy because it's a little unclear where it is: for the record, the last two pieces of cover are pretty much right in front of the enemy line - one in front, and one to its left. Only took me a few tries.

You guys know you don't need to watch for ricochet or anything like that, right? The part about having your next cover in sight is spot on, but there's a huge battalion of soldiers right in the distance that are firing guns all at once. Just dash to cover right after they fire. There's bright muzzle flashes and everything!

Carbonox

God damn. Why the fuck aren't there any good outfits available in this game? Shit like Altair's, Ezio's, etc. don't count. I mean stuff like that above.

Such a missed opportunity.

Bollocks

Those were experimentally sketches of Connor the artist team put together. Those sketches never made it past the concept stage

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think you are both right. The setting is fantastic, but the cities are average.

I think Boston is a lot of fun to run around in. It's a stark difference from previous entries but by Revelations I was pretty tired of it, I guess.

Where are the fucking posters to tear down to bring my notoriety down? Why do the printing places do NOTHING when I go inside of them? UGH this fucking game.

I think it speaks to how fun the exploration is in this game that I'm still really enjoying it. It's one of the laziest, buggiest games I've played in a long time, chock full of bad design decisions, but when you get a good flow running through the trees as early morning fog is rising up, it's so good.

The data entries written by Shaun are incredibly obnoxious. The writer needs to be slapped, and Shaun needs to die a horrible death at templars' hands.

The tiled, slanted roofs would have been a nice departure from the flat ones in Italy if Connor didn't act like walking over uneven surfaces was like trying to step over a mountain. I won't even look at roofs once I'm done with those Almanac pages for inventions I can't even make yet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Disagreed. Revolutionary War setting is by far the best part about the game.
I think many Americans are going to feel conflicted. The game doesn't portray the revolution as all that grand (and we know it wasn't). The events and heroes are sorta shitty. Paul revere gets shat on. So does Washington. Kinda interesting. This doesn't even take into account the moral ambiguity they go for.

The cities do look like shit though. Florence was breath taking. Boston is wet dirt. I liked using ac2 as a virtual tour guide.

This thread may have convinced me to do the same thing I've done with AC3 that I've done with every other AssCreed game since 1: Wait a year for the price drop and patches.

Shame, too. This game did look like it had great potential (and still may end up being great). But all these reports of game-breaking bugs and glitches are pushing me away.

Where are the fucking posters to tear down to bring my notoriety down? Why do the printing places do NOTHING when I go inside of them? UGH this fucking game.
The posters don't appear on the manm incognito.

The data entries written by Shaun are incredibly obnoxious. The writer needs to be slapped, and Shaun needs to die a horrible death at templars' hands.
This, so much. The last entry I read there was some place named Brest and he wrote not to giggle at it or something. They really tried.

Zeliard

Yeah, they're really bad. It might be my least favorite part of the game. Not only is the humor consistently bad but it's also way overdone, so it's doubly painful.

I think many Americans are going to feel conflicted. The game doesn't portray the revolution as all that grand (and we know it wasn't). The events and heroes are sorta shitty. Paul revere gets shat on. So does Washington. Kinda interesting. This doesn't even take into account the moral ambiguity they go for.

The cities do look like shit though. Florence was breath taking. Boston is wet dirt. I liked using ac2 as a virtual tour guide.

Well the cities are appropriate to the setting. Very hard to compete in general beauty and opulence with Renaissance Italy but you're still venturing around cities that are unique and specific to a certain setting in history and carry their own vibe, which I found to be interesting.

I also liked how it scaled back on some of the more mythical qualities of the Revolutionary War and portrayed it as something more down-to-earth, with heroes having warts and all.

kr2t0s

After-credits question:

I seriously need someone to explain the animus
synching, am I supposed to understand what the hell this guy is talking about? Pivot to retrieve hex codes, what?

Came in to find this out. I couldn't understand a single thing he was saying

Came in to find this out. I couldn't understand a single thing he was saying

From what I gather its got a bit of an online connected thing going on to it, they do a terrible job of explaining it and I've spent at least two hours in search and still haven't found a single one.

My thoughts on this game overall mirror many of the posts here. Setting is fantastic, gameplay is refreshing and great for AC and games in general. Unfortunately as buggy as AC1 and just as unfocused. If you play AC and enjoy the story that will probably change by the end of AC3

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugh, this double holster sucks. I crafted it and it's so buggy. I can't figure out how to choose which two guns to use and every time I leave the Homestead, it gets rid of my second pistol. This is so frustrating.

I thought the belt just doubled your current gun so that you could fire two shots without reloading?

That's what I'm trying to do, but I keep getting shot up and killed. I get so close to the end and then boom, Desync'ed.

I thought the belt just doubled your current gun so that you could fire two shots without reloading?

Yea it just makes a copy of your gun so you have 2. The problem with that is that you have to reload them separately, which doubles your reload time. It also doesn't seem to work with guns that can shoot multiple times (like the french coat pistol or double barrelled pistol). I'd suggest just getting a gun that can shoot more than once instead so you don't waste as much time reloading

vireland

The Naval combat is the best side-mission addition in the entire saga

Easily the best part of the whole game. The engine is strong enough that they could make a really fun pirate game just using that (why don't they?). I expected that to be the dumbest addition to an AC game, and it turned out to be the best part of the whole thing. Really top notch.

I would love looking for stuff if they didn't pretty much force you to buy the maps. Before I did, I would go through areas 4 to 5 times, but unless I revealed the magic pixel on the map, it won't tell me that the area I've already been through has a feather/chest/trinket hiding in plain sight.

Oh yeah, I'd have that happen a ton. You can hear the "hidden stuff" sound, but it won't show up on your map unless you're standing right next to it, and even then it's finicky. Not a big fan of the Viewpoints not uncovering everything once you find them all. I mean, come on Frontier section, this is ridiculous.

Mobius 1

Ok, it's finished. I will share my thoughts later but for now:

Did I lock myself out of side missions and other content by finishing it?

M.W.

I think this has been answered, but are there hidden liberation missions? I get to 71% and nothing appears on the map.

Bladenic

The tree view point is so annoying, I always get stuck on the last swing branch and Connor just won't swing to the next spot. I've fallen and died quite a few times just from the spot.

I was referring to the fact that they are so few in number and that the whole map is no longer illuminated. But I agree, the tree viewpoints are extremely glitchy.

Top Bottom