• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

I can't fucking believe they put a god damned herding side mission in the game. Because that was so fucking fun to do in red dead. These damn animals are even more unresponsive and uncontrollable.
I was thinking the same thing.

But don't worry, it's much worse when a pack of wolves comes out of nowhere during the conversation and kills you, thus making you herd them all over again.

As much as I love Assassin's Creed... I kinda feel like I want to just rush the story missions so I can trade this into Best Buy while can still get $40 for it...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I was thinking the same thing.

But don't worry, it's much worse when a pack of wolves comes out of nowhere during the conversation and kills you, thus making you herd them all over again.

I laughed more than I should have at this. I am so so sorry. I would have broken my tv screen if this had happened to me.

Double D

I'm on sequence 9. While I enjoy the story and many elements, I feel like there have been way too many frustrating missions in 3. Like pull-my-hair-out-fuck-this-game moments that make me feel like I'm stressing too much for what better be a nice payoff. I've completely avoided spoilers so far but I just want this thing to end so I can see what happens. Also, there are way, way too many things to do in this game. Not missions, but just extraneous shit that I really don't care about. Crafting, selling lumber, ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC. I mean the game is big enough that we don't need all this side shit that really adds nothing to the game. I really enjoy the series but I feel like it's headed in the wrong direction gameplay-wise.

I'm in the middle of sequence 7 and have just straight up avoided any side mission. I feel like if I start going down that path I'll never finish the game.

Struct09

I'm in the middle of sequence 7 and have just straight up avoided any side mission. I feel like if I start going down that path I'll never finish the game.

The main story line is shorter than you'd think. I'd recommend doing some side stuff along the way.

.GqueB.

Banned
Forget about OCD, the problem is the inorganic, in your face "YOU DUN GOOF'D" design of the full synch objectives. I know it doesn't matter, and in other games, I don't care, but both this and Revelations implemented them in such a way that just pisses me off. This kind of stuff should flow naturally from the game, and it should reward you when you do it, not throw a big red FUCK YOU on the screen when you don't do it.

I missed my first full sync in such a bizarre way. The mission started off with only one objective, then during one encounter I guess they sorta of just added one on that I didn't notice? It was bizarre as hell.

Bladenic

I missed my first full sync in such a bizarre way. The mission started off with only one objective, then during one encounter I guess they sorta of just added one on that I didn't notice? It was bizarre as hell.

Happened to me during the first trinket mission, I was like "wtf?"

Quick

Banned
Dat ending.
What the fuck was that.

Connor looking at interaction between the white man and a few black people, then shaking his head and walking away, was kind of depressing. You know how it's going to go, and you can't do anything about it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Really am impressed with the game overall granted there are a lot of odd bugs that pop up, but as with most open world games quite expected.

One thing that drives me crazy on occasion is how my character suddenly stops from free-running and perches in position instead of continuing on. As if the game tagged that there is no valid path to free run into so I just stop in place. Which usually has me have to hang / drop off of said object or try to jump off of it / climb back on then it "might" work. Got me in a bit of a jam with that on several occasions while trying to escape.

Is it just me or has the game gotten a lot easier too? Seeing how little damage overall you take vs the older titles?

Eideka

Banned
The scenario in this game....

tumblr_mbrhp3UmTE1rdutw3o1_500.gif

The ending....Hahahahaha.

Seriously, how old are the writers of this thing ? How can't they be ashamed ?

Game is very good though, a GOTY contender for sure. Now time to wait for the PC version and superior visual presentation.

Parakeetman

Without spoiling anything heres an example. Is it as bad as Mass Effect 3s ending? A simple yes / no will suffice Ill be using that gem as a measuring stick lol

Eideka

Banned
Without spoiling anything heres an example. Is it as bad as Mass Effect 3s ending? A simple yes / no will suffice Ill be using that gem as a measuring stick lol

The two are pretty much on par. Prepare for an impressively ridiculous ending.

My expectations were pretty low in that regard, yet somehow Ubi manage to perfom under them.

ekim

I really love the game's world and I appreciate the effort that has being put into it -
but why is nearly every game mechanic so fucking boring?
Fighting feels directed and clumsy; free running suffers from being to easy;
the whole economy system is pretty pointless because all the updates and upgrades are unnecessary; eavesdropping missions are unrealistic and annoying. I never felt any tension while doing missions at all.

So many good ideas executed so poor :(

Parakeetman

You gotta admit though that rope dart thing is pretty ninja. lol Its terrible of me to go picking on any humanoid red dot just to amuse myself with that weapon.

I just beat the game. What a load of crap.

^Yes, just as bad.

The two are pretty much on par. Prepare for an impressively ridiculous ending.

My expectations were pretty low in that regard, yet somehow Ubi manage to perfom under them.

I really love the game's world and I appreciate the effort that has being put into it -
but why is nearly every game mechanic so fucking boring?
Fighting feels directed and clumsy; free running suffers from being to easy;
the whole economy system is pretty pointless because all the updates and upgrades are unnecessary; eavesdropping missions are unrealistic and annoying. I never felt any tension while doing missions at all.

So many good ideas executed so poor :(

So - Hitman or AC3? I still need to finish AC:R, although I loved AC:B to death.

Eideka

Banned
So - Hitman or AC3? I still need to finish AC:R, although I loved AC:B to death.

From the look of it Hitman Absolution has fewer chances to disappoint you. You can still get AC 3 on a Steam sale because the "feel" of the series is there but the execution is wonky sometimes.
Ubisoft have tried to implement various mechanics without making sure they fit together to create a coherent and rich painting.

Linius

Did anyone else had problems with liberating the south of Boston? I've done all the stuff I had to do and went back to my contact.
Then he took me this place where some Templar dude is speeching and I had to kill him. So I did of course. I even killed every damn guard that was in the area but the game still says I have to kill that Templar dude :S

EDIT

I reloaded my previous checkpoint and killed him again. That did the job, sadly enough...

Ubisoft have tried to implement various mechanics without making sure they fit together to create a coherent and rich painting.

So the same crazy mentality that started with AC:B? What are we up to now?

Mediterranean Defence + Den Defence + Bomb Crafting + whatever-the-fuck-more?

I thought the realized putting more gimmicks is not the way to go.

Then again the multiplayer will be great for sure.

The rope dart may be the best weapon in the entire trilogy (after the hidden blades).

The forests of Colonial America have many men hanging from their branches. It is a dark place indeed.

I don't think the game is as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be (I just hit Sequence 8). Once I acclimated, it became really fun. Love the naval stuff, love the combat, and I'm liking the characters. I assumed there'd be more Desmond stuff (I've only done one "mission") so I'm hoping for more from that end soon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just finished Sequence 8 and am seriously loving everything with Connor. The actual assassinations in this game have been much more memorable to me over everything in the 2 trilogy, which was always my biggest gripe with them.

exYle

4115.jpg

Man... really? Ive been enjoying it so far too. Though the OCD gamer in me keeps having me hunt things and protect my convoys from the magically spawning red coats...

I don't think there was any way for Ubisoft to end Desmond's story satisfactorily.

Parakeetman

Truthfully one thing that I would wish they would remove from the series is the whole having to climb up into specified pain in the ass locations to synchronize with the world. Seriously enough with that shit already. On top of it not allowing us to skip that idiotic spinning of the camera in the process is an added irritation to the time wasted getting up to said location.

Only positive note about it in this game is the structures / objects are not as tall as in the previous titles which made it an even larger chore / irritation. This really does add nothing to the game besides waste the players time.

Anyone else feel the same?

I don't think there was any way for Ubisoft to end Desmond's story satisfactorily.

I do, they just didn't do it. Should have made the game with Desmond playable the whole time and let him
die off heroically instead of fried by a disco ball. It already shows in the beginning of the game that he learned his skills in days what took other assassins years to learn. Still, he felt like an assassin-in-training when you played as him.

Also, 6 games in the series and they still haven't figured out the running in the game? Shouldn't have to have these same running problems everyone had in AC1. The tree stuff is cool, but fix the basics first.

Anyone want to buy my 360 copy of AC3?
Didn't use the Uplay code for multiplayer and everything is in perfect condition.

I think I'll just wait for my PC version to 100% this game.

Also the game said I'm in the top 1% in using human shields. People must really never use human shields.

Omni

Minor spoilers I guess. Just my opinion on the game.
The whole Templar - Assassins conflict really took a back seat in this game and it was all about Connor getting revenge... which is really dull (I mean, in comparison to the other games). It doesn't help that Connor is quite possibly the most boring character I've ever played as. Haythem was brilliant, and the game would've been so much better if you played as him for 90% of the time and found out he was a Templar at the end.

Minor spoilers I guess. Just my opinion on the game.
The whole Templar - Assassins conflict really took a back seat in this game and it was all about Connor getting revenge... which is really dull (I mean, in comparison to the other games). It doesn't help that Connor is quite possibly the most boring character I've ever played as. Haythem was brilliant, and the game would've been so much better if you played as him for 90% of the time and found out he was a Templar at the end.

So much fucking this. How could they end this plot early on and made us play as boring-ass kid?

Parakeetman

Anyone want to buy my 360 copy of AC3?
Didn't use the Uplay code for multiplayer and everything is in perfect condition.

I think I'll just wait for my PC version to 100% this game.

Also the game said I'm in the top 1% in using human shields. People must really never use human shields.

With how easy it is to slaughter everyone with just wading in there axe swinging and arrows flying dont really see why you would need to use anyone as a shield. I wish that they made it easier to constantly drop / pick up weapons while in combat. Pisses me off when the controls get locked and I am unable to unless whatever trigger it is that unlocks it happens allowing me to grab a new musket or dropped melee weapon.

Just stop with the fucking collectables. Stop. Stahp. I'm still having fun but this game should be studied for bad game design. I spent like 8 god damned hours today collecting all the feathers, trinkets, treasure chests, almanac pages...it's not fucking fun. It's a pointless time sink. RDR did all this so much better.

Instead of hiding 50 bajillion feathers to unlock a costume hide 10. Instead of a stupid momento trophy for completing all your hunting challenges give me something cool.

Make the rewards reflective of the gameplay. Don't put a bunch of Almanac pages on the map. It's not fun. It's a waste of fucking time.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm reading the metacritic page for this game, I can't stop laughing at the critic review hyperboles. Did they even play this game past sequence 3, I wonder.

Game Informer 95/100 said:
An overwhelming experience in its own right, Assassin's Creed III is the crown jewel on an already excellent series, and it sets the mind reeling about the potential for where the story goes from here.

Gamestyle 100/100 said:
Quite simply, one of the greatest stories of this gaming generation has just released its greatest chapter.

Digital Spy 100/100 said:
With a campaign offering anything up to 70 hours worth of gameplay, not to mention a comprehensive multiplayer mode, Assassin's Creed 3 is one of the most complete action-adventure games we've ever played. Connor is a wonderful character and the perfect centerpiece for a riveting story that spans hundreds of years when you factor Desmond into the equation.

Gamespot 85/100 said:
Other games stimulate emotion with manipulative music and teary monologues; Assassin's Creed III rouses your mind and your heart by giving you a glimpse into its characters' souls and letting you judge them on their own merits.

Just stop with the fucking collectables. Stop. Stahp. I'm still having fun but this game should be studied for bad game design. I spent like 8 god damned hours today collecting all the feathers, trinkets, treasure chests, almanac pages...it's not fucking fun. It's a pointless time sink. RDR did all this so much better.

Instead of hiding 50 bajillion feathers to unlock a costume hide 10. Instead of a stupid momento trophy for completing all your hunting challenges give me something cool.

Make the rewards reflective of the gameplay. Don't put a bunch of Almanac pages on the map. It's not fun. It's a waste of fucking time.

What I don't get is the developers said they were taking a lot of the similar aspects to RDR and taking it into a different direction. For ex. the hunting.

Instead I feel like it's a dumb down version of all the stuff in RDR, not a divergence of the design language.

Parakeetman

They should have made it you hear info leaked from soldiers blabbing in taverns or on the streets of convoys carrying something. Then its up to you to "liberate" it or not.
Agreed. Not to mention what a huge pain in the ass the almanac pages are, even more so when the free running fucks up getting you stuck on something and the page gets away.

Btw do you actually get anything from the feathers? Since if its just a trophy those feathers can go fuck right off. lol

What I don't get is the developers said they were taking a lot of the similar aspects to RDR and taking it into a different direction. For ex. the hunting.

Instead I feel like it's a dumb down version of all the stuff in RDR, not a divergence of the design language.

Truthfully I felt the hunting was done a bit better, granted it just added more tools to use but was a bit more interesting than RDRs. And for once the QTEs were not irritating and actually fair. Though snare traps are worthless...

MattDoza

So...minor spoiler
Whoever earlier in the thread said Connor never even took the axe from the post must not have went past the credits.
when I saw that I was like awww yeah!!! :D

I was hoping I'd be able to use it as a weapon, after removing it.

Yeah, now that I've learned there's no real fun rewards, I'm just going to pass on all that. Which means, 30+ hours later, I'm done with ACIII.

I'm reading the metacritic page for this game, I can't stop laughing at the critic review hyperboles. Did they even play this game past sequence 3, I wonder.

The only quote there that really stands out is the second one, but hey, I like the game so obviously myself and anyone else who would dare to rate it well is wrong.

SJRB

Gold Member
They should have made it you hear info leaked from soldiers blabbing in taverns or on the streets of convoys carrying something. Then its up to you to "liberate" it or not.
Agreed. Not to mention what a huge pain in the ass the almanac pages are, even more so when the free running fucks up getting you stuck on something and the page gets away.

Btw do you actually get anything from the feathers? Since if its just a trophy those feathers can go fuck right off. lol

Collecting all feathers will unlock an outfit, namely
the default teen connor native american outfit

Parakeetman

Collecting all feathers will unlock an outfit, namely
the default teen connor native american outfit

Yeah in that case "Broccoli Dog" on that one. Thanks for the info, will quit bothering going after those idiotic feathers.

The only quote there that really stands out is the second one, but hey, I like the game so obviously myself and anyone else who would dare to rate it well is wrong.

Do you not notice the obvious hyperbole in the review?

The game is great, but to not find those quotes laughable is just willful ignorance.

You missed the best one!

Hyperbolic Quote of the Year
Hardcore Gamer 5/5

"Assassin’s Creed III is one of those rare games conceived to be revolutionary from the beginning. Games like this only come around once in a generation. One of the most, if not the most, ambitious titles ever created. An inspiring testament to what can be accomplished with unbridled devotion, it’s possible that nothing of this magnitude will ever be attempted again. It’s a truly definitive event that will be looked-back as a crucial step in gaming evolution."

Wasn't this the reviewer who was selling AC 3 flag promo material on Ebay? Or some other conflict of interest?

Xater

Achilles' voice actor is fantastic.

he is, but then everyone sounds fantastic compared to Connor

Connor is like Altair, but, even more boring. Haytham should have been the main character.

Yep, Connor is boring as shit. Especially with this boring voice actor who can't convey any emotion except for anger. Absolutely terrible. It#s even worse if you hear him next to Achilles or Haytham.

Wait... [end game spoilers]

You seriously can't do all the side missions once you've finished the game? Why the fuck not? What's the point of a post-game then? That's ridiculous.

Top Bottom