• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

rataven

and can I go back and try them again? I've searched and seems I can only retry my last save point.

Yes, you can replay any of the main story missions. You have to go into the DNA tracker of the menu and zoom in on the sequence, then select the mission. To replay Desmond's missions, access the laptop outside of the animus.

_Isaac

Question: I am new to this series, I was wondering if I miss the mission objectives (get a bunch of red x marks) does it change something in the progression of the game?

and can I go back and try them again? I've searched and seems I can only retry my last save point.

Missing the optional objectives and getting a bunch of red x marks shouldn't change the progression of the game. It never did in any of the other games. It's just an extra challenge for those who want it, and it contributes to your synchronization percentage, which is really just a thing for completionists. Maybe you get an achievement or something. I'm not entirely sure.

Sequence 12 spoiler:
So I'm at the point where you have chase Charles Lee through the goddamn boat as it' burning around you.......
Only the second time through the game where I've gotten really frustrated with the responsiveness of the controls. It is of course, also possible I just suck at this part.

Having just now experienced New York in a rain storm... I can assuredly say that AC3 is my favorite of the bunch

That was an awesome moment for me as well.

I'm struggling to get through this to be honest. Spent hours in Sequence 6 doing loads of side missions and naval stuff and it all seems rather pointless.

Sequence 7 so far is a bit so-so.

The latest update (PS3) has really affected the game though. Framerate in Boston is somehow worse than before, there's a weird glitch where if I want to bribe a town crier two of them show up at the exact same spot separated by a few centimeters in the exact same animation and I need to kind of jostle around to make sure the "Bribe" only appears over one of their heads in fear that I pay the bribe twice.

Also think I ran into a glitch in North Boston where enemy guards would just NOT stop coming no matter how many I killed. Must've been 50 dead bodies around me before I said fuck it and ran half way across the map before losing them!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Sequence 12 spoiler:
So I'm at the point where you have chase Charles Lee through the goddamn boat as it' burning around you.......
Only the second time through the game where I've gotten really frustrated with the responsiveness of the controls. It is of course, also possible I just suck at this part.

Yeah this was by far my most frustrating moment with the game. It's buggy as hell when you have to climb right after you enter the ship, and then I simply couldn't understand where I was supposed to go (the "window" in the far right). I thought I was supposed to climb down.
I must have tried that sequence at least 30 times. That stagger after the explosion is so random, very very annoying...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I must have tried that sequence at least 30 times. That stagger after the explosion is so random, very very annoying...
The stagger seemed avoidable if left was tapped twice, but even then it's almost unpredictable.

I ended up doing that sequence several times,
but only because I wanted to stay within the 50 meter optional requirement (yes oxymoron)

I fell once from the ship after you do the jump on the hook thing that sends you left. That annoyed the hell out of me. However, the section's not as hard as it seems.

KevinCow

Banned
How do I get more arrows? I'm like 8 hours in and I haven't had any for like half the game. I keep expecting shops to open up or something, but they haven't, so I feel like I'm just missing something.

SJRB

Gold Member
How do I get more arrows? I'm like 8 hours in and I haven't had any for like half the game. I keep expecting shops to open up or something, but they haven't, so I feel like I'm just missing something.

Every city has three general stores, one in each district. There are stores in the Frontier too but both city and Frontier stores aren't marked on your map until you find them.

Other than that there are traveling merchants in both cities and the frontier, they are marked on the map with a £ symbol.

Lastly you can loot dead bodies.

You can upgrade arrow capacity through the Homestead menu by crafting a larger pouch.

KevinCow

Banned
I set my map to only show stores, and I still didn't see any in Boston, the Frontier, or the Davenport Homestead.

Is there a story event that makes stores start appearing? I remember the past AC games always had a specific tutorial moment where they were like, "Yo, go to the store and buy some shit," and I don't remember that happening yet in this game.

I hope it's not an issue with the Wii U version.

SxP

I set my map to only show stores, and I still didn't see any in Boston, the Frontier, or the Davenport Homestead.

Is there a story event that makes stores start appearing? I remember the past AC games always had a specific tutorial moment where they were like, "Yo, go to the store and buy some shit," and I don't remember that happening yet in this game.

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is a mission early on in the game where you go to a general store (playing as Haytam). That store should really be marked. If not, there should be a peddler nearby pretty much all the time and they are marked.

KevinCow

Banned
I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is a mission early on in the game where you go to a general store (playing as Haytam). That store should really be marked. If not, there should be a peddler nearby pretty much all the time and they are marked.

Oh yeah. I remember that now.

Well it just makes it extra weird that I can't find a store.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The storyline is really bad. Admittedly I might just not be paying attention to it because it's also boring, but I can't fathom Connor's motivations at all. At first it seemed like revenge because Charles Lee
apparently killed his parents and burned his village
but then half way through the game you find out that
actually the order came from Washington
but instead of swearing revenge
against Washington instead, he decides he still hates Lee anyway? Why? Just to avoid portraying Washington as too much of a bad guy? Because Lee pushed Connor against a tree and that's mean?

Then he kills his best friend because ??????? Seriously though please help me with this, Connor changes his motivations in a split second and I have no idea why.

Also for someone who apparently isn't interested in the Patriots' plight, he sure involves himself with every major event in the Civil War.

Replicant

That's because Connor is an idiot who thinks he's doing the right thing even when the evidence clearly stacks up against such notion.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I guess you might have missed something.

Connor's original intent was to get Lee because of revenge. However, his motivations change as he becomes an Assassin. His focus then becomes the Templars, which Lee happens to be.

Washington sent the order to fight Connor's tribe because they had joined the red coats. Lee convinced Connor's friend (I forget his name) that Connor was actually a traitor and that the Patriots would go after their land once they had defeated England. The fight could have easily been avoided, but it didn't seem like his friend wanted to give Connor a chance to speak. His friend essentially sided with the Templars.

That situation in particular was out of Connor's control, and his motivations (simply going against the Templars) remain consistent, to me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think you missed something.

Connor's original intent was to get Lee because of revenge. However, his motivations change as he becomes an Assassin. His focus then becomes the Templars, which Lee happens to be.

Also, are you sure that Washington sent the order to burn down the village that resulted in his Connor's mom's death?

Washington sent the order to fight Connor's tribe because they had joined the red coats. Lee convinced Connor's friend (I forget his name) that Connor was actually a traitor and that the Patriots would go after their land once they had defeated England. The fight could have easily been avoided, but it didn't seem like his friend wanted to give Connor a chance to speak. His friend essentially sided with the Templars.

That situation in particular was out of Connor's control, and his motivations (simply going against the Templars) remain consistent, to me.

I thought that Washington sent the order to exterminate all the indigenous tribes? Or at least was responsible for burning his village?

Haytham was also a Templar but Connor isn't as hell-bent on just killing him either.

Basically once you remove the fact that Lee was in any way responsible for burning Connor's village and killing his mother, his vengeance against Lee makes no sense. But instead of transferring that thirst for revenge to Washington, he ends up killing his best friend instead?

Basically his siding with Washington just makes no sense in this situation. The indigenous tribes side with the British because they don't think they'll have a place in the new America. But Connor is supposed to be siding with Washington because freedom. Except apparently not freedom for the indigenous tribes who is apparently kind of cool with Washington exterminating if it means more freedom for old white dudes?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has anyone who's played this game on PC encountered the same level of bugs as the consoles?

Also, is there a spoiler thread? I can't find it.
I have yet to run into any bugs. There were a couple areas that felt a bit rough (the first time you are introduced to the Mason tunnels, for instance) but it's felt very polished overall.

Midou

I have yet to run into any bugs. There were a couple areas that felt a bit rough (the first time you are introduced to the Mason tunnels, for instance) but it's felt very polished overall.

I ran into a few bugs that didn't really effect anything for the most part. My most hilarious one on PC was, half way through a bear killing QTE, he got flung about 1 mile north and 1 mile into the sky, just as I was about to push a QTE key. Luckily when I respawned, I was closer to my destination.

Manus

So to the people who love this game the most out of the series what about the game makes it better than the others? The setting? Because I see a lot of people say this is their favorite in the series and I just can't see why. Maybe I just experienced way to many glitches with the game.

Wow this thread. I got this as a gift the other day and played a couple of hours. This thread makes me want to trade it in for Far Cry 3 without going any further. I've enjoyed all the games in the series but seeing the word "frustrating" in post after post has me worried.

Midou

So to the people who love this game the most out of the series what about the game makes it better than the others? The setting? Because I see a lot of people say this is their favorite in the series and I just can't see why. Maybe I just experienced way to many glitches with the game.

Well it's not my favorite but I enjoyed it a lot more than most people seem to. I personally really enjoyed the more natural aspect to it, like the frontier and homestead (including the missions). Naval stuff is my favorite side-quest in the series, even if it could be more fleshed out. On PC, I beat it in about 26 hours, and never encountered any mentionable bugs or glitches. I got frustrated at a single part in the very last sequence, otherwise I never found anything that annoying. I was expecting to get a lot more frustrated with everything I had read. I did avoid secondary objectives though, if they didn't sound fun.

It was kind of like RDR meets AC, and I was cool with that. I do miss the big climbable cities, but when I looked at it as it's own game, it was not as bad in that regard. The story and connor aren't that great, but I played both Brotherhood and Revelations purely for the gameplay and wasn't disappointed, so I essentially didn't care so much. The opening story bits were cool and
meeting haytham as connor
was neat as well.

I thought that Washington sent the order to exterminate all the indigenous tribes? Or at least was responsible for burning his village?

Haytham was also a Templar but Connor isn't as hell-bent on just killing him either.

Basically once you remove the fact that Lee was in any way responsible for burning Connor's village and killing his mother, his vengeance against Lee makes no sense. But instead of transferring that thirst for revenge to Washington, he ends up killing his best friend instead?

Basically his siding with Washington just makes no sense in this situation. The indigenous tribes side with the British because they don't think they'll have a place in the new America. But Connor is supposed to be siding with Washington because freedom. Except apparently not freedom for the indigenous tribes who is apparently kind of cool with Washington exterminating if it means more freedom for old white dudes?

No.
Washington only gave the current at-that-time order to exterminate the tribe, not the 10-something-year-old order to burn the village which was all Charles Lee's doing.
At least that was how I understood it.

Oh yeah. I remember that now.

Well it just makes it extra weird that I can't find a store.

I played all the way through the Wii U version and didn't have any problems with this, just so you know. I ran across a lot of stores randomly, just noticed white lined doors.

Midou

No.
Washington only gave the current at-that-time order to exterminate the tribe, not the 10-something-year-old order to burn the village which was all Charles Lee's doing.
At least that was how I understood it.

This is how I understood it too. Because
At this point the tribes had not allied with the Loyalists. Hell, at this point, there was no real war going on. I thought the point of that scene was to show Washington was just like Lee and would do what Connor considers evil as well.

Even if that had not been the case,
killing Lee is part of what the Assassin's must do, he could have realized that along the way.

Also killing
his best-friend was basically self defense

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I ran into a few bugs that didn't really effect anything for the most part. My most hilarious one on PC was, half way through a bear killing QTE, he got flung about 1 mile north and 1 mile into the sky, just as I was about to push a QTE key. Luckily when I respawned, I was closer to my destination.
OK, now that I think about it, I did run into one glitch in which Shaun's head sort of fell into his shirt ala the Konami press conference Neverdead bit. That was pretty good.

K' Dash

Has anyone who's played this game on PC encountered the same level of bugs as the consoles?

Also, is there a spoiler thread? I can't find it.

Not even close, I havent had a single bug and Im exploring the shit out of everything, hunting and discovering vistas, just enjoying the atmosphere, the games gorgeous on PC.

Is a shame that consoles got buggy version but I have a hard time seeing a console handling a game this ambitious.

Wow this thread. I got this as a gift the other day and played a couple of hours. This thread makes me want to trade it in for Far Cry 3 without going any further. I've enjoyed all the games in the series but seeing the word "frustrating" in post after post has me worried.

Why would you do that without experience the game by yourself, are you that gullible? If you liked the previous entries you will certainly love 3.

This is how I understood it too. Because
At this point the tribes had not allied with the Loyalists. Hell, at this point, there was no real war going on. I thought the point of that scene was to show Washington was just like Lee and would do what Connor considers evil as well.

Even if that had not been the case,
killing Lee is part of what the Assassin's must do, he could have realized that along the way.

Also killing

Right.

Plus
Charles was right there with a couple of his cronies and asked to see the chief. Is there any reason at all to assume he had nothing to do with the burning of the village? They just walked away and a regiment of Washington's troops came in from the other side while you were passed out, and they quickly left and nobody saw any of them and it's never mentioned by anyone? Charles never says "dammit I didn't burn your village, leave me alone."

Why would you do that without experience the game by yourself, are you that gullible? If you liked the previous entries you will certainly love 3.

Guess I'm reading a different thread. There seems to be a huge wave of frustration like I've never seen in any other AC thread.

Ocaso

Guess I'm reading a different thread. There seems to be a huge wave of frustration like I've never seen in any other AC thread.

Dissatisfied gamers tend to be more vocal than satisfied gamers. It's also the case that the things that work well in AC3 are things that have worked well earlier, so they're not surprising. I think some of the complaints on the thread are legitimate, but the game is ultimately wholly worth experiencing for anyone who's already invested in the franchise. It lacks elements that gave the Ezio games much of its charm (Renaissance Europe, Ezio's charisma, Jesper Kyd), but if you take it on its own merits colonial America had its own charm, and the gameplay has not suffered in this new iteration. My advice would be to do as many side missions as you can since some are really standouts.

Noi

Dissatisfied gamers tend to be more vocal than satisfied gamers. It's also the case that the things that work well in AC3 are things that have worked well earlier, so they're not surprising. I think some of the complaints on the thread are legitimate, but the game is ultimately wholly worth experiencing for anyone who's already invested in the franchise. It lacks elements that gave the Ezio games much of its charm (Renaissance Europe, Ezio's charisma, Jesper Kyd), but if you take it on its own merits colonial America had its own charm, and the gameplay has not suffered in this new iteration. My advice would be to do as many side missions as you can since some are really standouts.

I entirely disagree, but I'm not gonna delve into that because we already pages worth of discussion as to why. The gameplay being changed for the worse is one of the primary reasons why I disliked my time with AC3.

For what it's worth I was super satisfied and I've been thinking about articulating that at some point, but it'd involve a lot of spoilers.

Just in general, a great story full of great characters, best villain of the series, tons of stuff to see and do, great graphics and environmental effects, love all the new additions to the formula including little things like animals, the homestead missions were engaging and nice slice-of-life stuff, tree running is a lot of fun...I consider it the best in the series, I think.

Problem is, that none of the side stuff matters or even rewards you in any meaningful way.

Unlock some convenience items or something.

Give me a flying horse so it won't stick onto everything.

pargonta

well, yes, the majority sentiment is that it is worse and frustrating indeed. he's just saying you should experience it for yourself and make your own judgement.

Marleyman

Banned

Don't listen to them. Play it with an open mind. I loved all of them and ranked this one as my favorite.

Nemesis_

I almost had 100% completion.

But my game has left one of my Assassin recruits at 87% or something, even though they are at the highest level possible.

This glitch wasn't even fixed by the patch.

I really hope they fix it, I am not sure I could even be bothered going through the WHOLE thing again.

I'm pretty sure the homestead is side stuff and it definitely unlocks some convenience items.

Does it? I get popups saying i can craft some stuff, but I always thought they were just more shit to sell and not stuff that benefit connor.

Also, how do you get more recruits? I only have 3 guys and i have no clue where i got them.

Does it? I get popups saying i can craft some stuff, but I always thought they were just more shit to sell and not stuff that benefit connor.

Yes, crafting stuff is great!

Bags to hold more bullets, more arrows, more bombs etc. You can eventually craft saddlebags for your horse that let you refill consumables from him every time you call him! (meaning bullets, arrows, bait etc.)

Plus you can craft a ton of new weapons, more convoys, convoy capacity upgrades, naval convoys...

You can craft one of the best guns, I think it's a French pistol, good stats and two shots before you have to reload.

Also, how do you get more recruits? I only have 3 guys and i have no clue where i got them.

How could you not know? They pretty clearly join up as you do those final liberation missions with them and unlock a new recruit ability. 3 in Boston, 3 in New York.

Yeah I'd consider that side stuff too, even though it's really important for some later missions IMO.

Noi

I'm pretty sure the homestead is side stuff and it definitely unlocks some convenience items.

Doing homestead missions give you more Artisans and levels them up, which you can then use to make more weapons, pouch upgrades, etc. But since nothing in the game requires you to use anything more than the equipment you start the game with, then no, they may as well not give you anything.

speaking of secondary shit, it seems like the game eats my arrows every time i restart a mission or something.

it's pretty disappointing.

Never use my bow that i carry around everywhere.

That's weird, I think I was only robbed of my arrows in the final mission of the game. I used the bow all the time for silent kills.

Doing homestead missions give you more Artisans and levels them up, which you can then use to make more weapons, pouch upgrades, etc. But since nothing in the game requires you to use anything more than the equipment you start the game with, then no, they may as well not give you anything.

One mission in the game (full sync) requires you to
reach a location on horseback without ever touching the ground. Part of the mission is to kill other guys on horseback that you come across. Because I had crafted the dual pistol belt and the French pistol, I just shot them all in the back instead of trying to jump from horse to horse.

This is why they are called convenience items.

Actually I think
dual multi-shot pistols
is one of the biggest conveniences in the game if you're under a time limit. I used those on several missions like that.
Retreat while also saving some patriots from execution.

Collider

Banned
228px-Hang.jpeg

I don't know how to do this with a rope dart. Can somebody help me?

Midou

Yes, crafting stuff is great!

Plus you can craft a ton of new weapons, more convoys, convoy capacity upgrades, naval convoys...

Problem is, I love this stuff too, but it's so terribly implemented and explained..

Like sometimes you have to craft item B, well it needs 3 items, one of which is a crafted item A, so you buy 2 items to craft the item needed to craft item B and in the end it took like 20 clicks to get 1 bullet upgrade.

I know games that let you craft stuff don't typically do this, but I wish it would let you purchase stuff from the crafting menu, like, highlight an ingredient, and go purchase if you can, or out of stock if you can't. Anything to speed up the process.

Not to mention it's just bloated an unintuitive of an interface. So much scrolling for minor things. Needing to scroll down several times for both item selection and convoy selection. It should all have been more of a.. zoomed out list, show more on it at once. Show everything on one screen, and let you pick like 8 bear pelts by selecting a bear pelt 8 times, then scroll down once to pick a person to sell it too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Also killing

Except that it was completely divorced from the reality of the game. He didn't need to stab the guy in the neck to defend himself. Oh well...

Gah, keep forgetting how beautiful this combat looks in this game. Seriously top notch animation (best I've seen in a game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VcP2Ge88s

Craft a horse pouch(?) and every time you call in your horse, you can refill all your equipment at your horse by pressing O or B.

Top Bottom