• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Kjellson

The tailing mission when you get to New York is the most awful thing ever put in a video game. This is taking forever!

I've almost failed it because I have dozed off a couple of times. It's so boring.

HardRojo

Just finished the game, what a total disappointment, probably the second to worst main AC game to date.

By the way I think the only high points of the game are the first Sequences with
Haytham
and the
Father and Son parts because Haytham's banter is just too much fun

Effect

Finally got in some online time with the game. I don't know about the other versions but the quick match option in the Wii U version seems to be broken. Will find several sessions and then before it goes through the entire list will stick you in a lobby with one other person. Custom Games is the only way I can get into matches. Quick Match only worked once for me on Christmas day. Outside of that the online is very fun and satisfying.

NBtoaster

I just finished sequence 6 and I think it's better than Brotherhood and Revelations.

There is a fair bit of jank, but I like the setting much more than the other games. Also enjoying getting 100% sync, unlike the other games.

Gregorn

The tailing mission when you get to New York is the most awful thing ever put in a video game. This is taking forever!

I've almost failed it because I have dozed off a couple of times. It's so boring.

That was a terrible way to introduce you to New York. It's one of the most iconic cities in the world and they treated it like 'Generic Plot of Buildings 2.0', which is pretty much what it is.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh, I feel dumb lol

Thanks

No need to feel dumb, good sir. The previous games all had extensive stats menus which showed overall playtime and lots of other tidbits like distance walked, height climbed, people killed and favourite weapon.

Such a menu is missing in this game, so it took me some time as well to figure out that at least the load game menu shows the overall playtime.

NBtoaster

No need to feel dumb, good sir. The previous games all had extensive stats menus which showed overall playtime and lots of other tidbits like distance walked, height climbed, people killed and favourite weapon.

Such a menu is missing in this game, so it took me some time as well to figure out that at least the load game menu shows the overall playtime.

Under Animus Training Center

MhcqX.png

SJRB

Gold Member
What the fuck.

Why the FUCK would something like that be under "Animus training center"? Who the fuck looks for stats under "training center"?

See this shit? This is exactly what is wrong with this game's UI. I can't believe this.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
What the fuck.

Why the FUCK would something like that be under "Animus training center"? Who the fuck looks for stats under "training center"?

See this shit? This is exactly what is wrong with this game's UI. I can't believe this.
Considering all the UI elements in these games are "in character" I found that to be consistent and understandable... different strokes.

AC is a series that assumes you've played through all the DLC for each game, both of those things were addressed in such content.

That's terrible. They shouldn't even assume people are playing every game, because I'm sure a lot of people skipped Brotherhood and Revelations (and Assassin's Creed, for that matter).

Speaking of terrible, whoever designed the menu/interface for the homestead accounting book deserves a good hard slap to the face. It completely negates all the good things they did with homestead building, rendering it all meaningless by trapping its main function by something so disgustingly user unfriendly.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That's terrible. They shouldn't even assume people are playing every game, because I'm sure a lot of people skipped Brotherhood and Revelations (and Assassin's Creed, for that matter).

Speaking of terrible, whoever designed the menu/interface for the homestead accounting book deserves a good hard slap to the face. It completely negates all the good things they did with homestead building, rendering it all meaningless by trapping its main function by something so disgustingly user unfriendly.

I'm coming off as a bit of a Ubi defender with these posts which isn't my intent, Ubisoft has done some atrocious shit, but as far as AC is concerned they've been very consistent IMO if you follow the full lineage of AC2 > Bro > Rev >AC3 (AC1 being largely a testbed for what AC2 would become).

The story DLC aspects have been cemented in since AC2 and to me are to be expected, there will be AC3 story DLC that somehow ties into AC4 and the new protagonist next-gen mark my words. As many who skipped the Bros and Revs games there are as many who didn't, the DLC for Brotherhood IIRC was some of the best and it essentially adds on another ending to the game (where
Lucy
meets her fate).

I agree that the UI for the Homestead crafting doesn't give you a great first impression, I put off trying to use it for the longest time. The same can be said for the Map overlay and filtering/mission log, it's not overly apparent how it works at first. Once you do get it though it's quick and easy to use (it thankfully, like past games, doesn't force you to wait for transition animations when pressing through menus so you can skip/fast-forward a lot of actions by pure memory).

Scapegoat

I'm coming off as a bit of a Ubi defender with these posts which isn't my intent, Ubisoft has done some atrocious shit, but as far as AC is concerned they've been very consistent IMO if you follow the full lineage of AC2 > Bro > Rev >AC3 (AC1 being largely a testbed for what AC2 would become).

The story DLC aspects have been cemented in since AC2 and to me are to be expected, there will be AC3 story DLC that somehow ties into AC4 and the new protagonist next-gen mark my words. As many who skipped the Bros and Revs games there are as many who didn't, the DLC for Brotherhood IIRC was some of the best and it essentially adds on another ending to the game (where
Lucy
meets her fate).

I agree that the UI for the Homestead crafting doesn't give you a great first impression, I put off trying to use it for the longest time. The same can be said for the Map overlay and filtering/mission log, it's not overly apparent how it works at first. Once you do get it though it's quick and easy to use (it thankfully, like past games, doesn't force you to wait for transition animations when pressing through menus so you can skip/fast-forward a lot of actions by pure memory).
Do you mean the DLC for Revelations? I was more insulted by the fact that there were more Revelations in the Revelations DLC (we learn about
Lucy
) than in Revelations itself.

I don't remember the AC2 or ACB DLC being anything to write home about. AC2 introduced you to the chick you would bang in ACB, correct?

They haven't had Subject 16 style puzzles since ACB, which is terrible IMO! And the Revelations DLC seemed the PERFECT reward for such a thing...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Do you mean the DLC for Revelations? I was more insulted by the fact that there were more Revelations in the Revelations DLC (we learn about
Lucy
) than in Revelations itself.

I don't remember the AC2 or ACB DLC being anything to write home about. AC2 introduced you to the chick you would bang in ACB, correct?

They haven't had Subject 16 style puzzles since ACB, which is terrible IMO! And the Revelations DLC seemed the PERFECT reward for such a thing...

Lucy died
at the end of Brotherhood. Sorry, my memory is a bit fuzzy, it wasn't actually in DLC at all, it was the ending after you'd solve all of Subject 16's puzzles - so the argument that they include that substantial development in DLC is moot actually. :p It was later expanded upon in Revelations itself.

Overall I think the DLC story parts were substantial in the sense that they both served to unravel parts of the overarching plot, not to the extent of ACR by any means but still integral (YMMV) to the overall narrative progression through the series. Something that has remained since AC2's missing 12-13 sequences were put back in as DLC.

alf717

I wanted to buy Assassin's Creed III for PC off someone that is selling one of those coupons that comes with a GPU. I really only enjoy the single player when it comes to AC games and was wondering can I purchase the missing mission / levels separately? Where I'm confused is the Digital Deluxe Edition offers 4 mission and there is a DLC pack that offers another 3 mission. Will I miss out on the missions from the deluxe version and can they be added to the standard version of the game?

Also if anyone knows can you backup the data from a Uplay game to DVD to install later? So I don't have to download it each time I want to play it?

Effect

That was a terrible way to introduce you to New York. It's one of the most iconic cities in the world and they treated it like 'Generic Plot of Buildings 2.0', which is pretty much what it is.

Not really minding them to be honest. They're time consuming but I figured they'd be horrible the way some people commented on them. In fact the entire game is a LOT more enjoyable then some would lead one to believe. Perhaps because I haven't played any previous AC game so I have nothing to compare it to but taking the game on it's own merit I've been loving it.

Thoraxes

Overall I thought the game was OK.

My biggest gripe was pacing though. They had a nice slow cook for most of the game, but once you finished
killing Church
the rest of the game unraveled and sped the fuck up. I felt like all the chapters up till that point put together are like, 4x as long as the final missions towards the end were.

The ending was a little too disjointed and chopped up, quickly moving from instance to instance. Whereas a lot of the previous sections took a lot of care to build them up, for instance, the prologue, or when
Conner has tragedy and goes to Achilles to build up resources and become an Assassin
the ending just felt disjointed and rushed.

I also really did not like the free-running changes. The system just feels so clunky now, and I was accidentally jumping on and around stuff. I really prefer the old system more because I think the over-simplification was a little too much in this instance. The same I think can be said about the horse collision detection. That one horse mission took me 5 times because it got caught on a rock no bigger than Connor's fist. I also thought the enemy variety was a little lacking too, but the animations were great.

The infamous chase mission also was very easy as they provide you a super clear path to run through.

Stat!

Thoraxes, I didn't read your spoilers as I'm on
sequence 6
but you really hit the system.

None of the stuff is really spoilerific or story specific but I'm erring on the side of caution.

Free running was fun in the last few games. Maybe its because I'm only part way through, but I've yet to see any of the lanterns to swing around and
I have yet to see any ropes (for the hook blade).
Why are we moving backwards? Free-running used to be fun. You could literally go miles by simply free running as the design was so great that you would rarely stop. Here, it's stop and go, as besides it being touchy, none of the buildings really connect. I used to run around in the old city. Wanting to go between landmarks and sync spots, but because the buildings don't connect, it's not as fluid.

Its a bunch of the little things in this game from the regeneration of health to the lack of stores. Heck, my big thing right now is the lack of control over the map. Before, the map was easy to understand. Nice and big, allowed you to highlight or turn off any icon you wanted. Now? It's a giant mess. I'm trying to decipher where my mission is but I can't. Furthermore, why the heck would they have a system in which I need to press RB and go into a separate menu to choose my weapons. Why not, as in every other Assassin's game, just let us do it mid-fight without going into the separate menu? Why are we going backwards here?

EDIT: I'll leave the above in there as I just figured out you can press the left stick to to access the maps. Still not as much control as in previous games but at least some control is there.

I just finished the
Boston Tea Party thing
and it's just not fun. Nothing is exciting. There are some parts where I enjoy such as the running in the trees but then we realize that not all trees connect. It feels a bit unfinished. Boston is a boring city that feels absolutely generic. I want to like it. I really do but I don't feel like I've accomplished anything so far.

I had high hopes for this game. As a Red Dead Redemption meets the AC franchise but it kinda soured on me. Normally, I want to complete 100% sync but I just don't. Some of the missions are just boring and feature awful AI.
For example, take the mission in sequence 6 when the French chef walks through the town. You don't really do anything. You just run before the guy gets there, stab one in the back, watch the other redcoats look at you before you stab him, and wait for the French cook to catch up to "incite the people".
It's just boring. Or the following mission where you have to kill 15 guys before it starts. I literally went through six of them standing there while I stabbed them in front of each other before moving onto the other 11. It was kinda hilarious but that shouldn't be happening.
Even the Boston Tea Party was just boring. It was run from ship to ship killing guys using our not-so-great fight system while occasionally throwing tea. Maybe the actual Boston Tea Party was fairly boring and this was accurate but it didn't make it exciting or fun.

Lucy died
at the end of Brotherhood. Sorry, my memory is a bit fuzzy, it wasn't actually in DLC at all, it was the ending after you'd solve all of Subject 16's puzzles - so the argument that they include that substantial development in DLC is moot actually. :p It was later expanded upon in Revelations itself.

Overall I think the DLC story parts were substantial in the sense that they both served to unravel parts of the overarching plot, not to the extent of ACR by any means but still integral (YMMV) to the overall narrative progression through the series. Something that has remained since AC2's missing 12-13 sequences were put back in as DLC.

It's not moot at all. They don't explain that Lucy had defected to the Templars until the Lost Archive. They end Brotherhood on a massive cliffhanger, then go on to not resolve it in the next game, but the DLC to that game. After this, they don't mention her at all, so if you go straight from ACII to ACIII and wonder where the hell Lucy is, you have to look that shit up, since it's nowhere in the game. What's the point of having a SERIES RECAP AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH AND EVERY GAME if you're not going to use it to catch people up on stuff like that?

It isn't until after the first present day mission, if you decide to run around and exhaust everyone's dialogue options before hopping back into the Animus, where William will casually mention her and imply that she had joined the Templars and betrayed the Assassins.

Also, here's how the introduction of William looks to someone who hasn't touched the DLC: End of Brotherhood: Who the fuck is talking? End of Revelations: Who the fuck is he? Beginning of ACIII: What the fuck?

People ask all the time, "Hey, do I have play x before y?" And the answer is almost always, "Of course not, no developer is stupid enough to limit their potential user base by alienating newcomers." Except, apparently, for Assassin's Creed.

And the Homestead interface is NOT OK. It has nothing to do with me getting the hang of it and everything to do with it taking approximately 400 button presses (I did the math) if I want to send off 18 of the same item that happen to be the end of Connor's inventory because I can only set one at a time and the cursor goes back to the very beginning after each selection. People complained about having to go back to the Villa/bank to withdraw your money in the ACII games, but that was a single button press that only had to be done once every hour or two at the most, and served an actual purpose--preventing you from simply leaving your game on and idly collecting money. With the Homestead, it's every 12 minutes, plus once you get there, you have to fight through the menus again. Not worth it at all.

Scapegoat

It's not moot at all. They don't explain that Lucy had defected to the Templars until the Lost Archive. They end Brotherhood on a massive cliffhanger, then go on to not resolve it in the next game, but the DLC to that game. After this, they don't mention her at all, so if you go straight from ACII to ACIII and wonder where the hell Lucy is, you have to look that shit up, since it's nowhere in the game. What's the point of having a SERIES RECAP AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH AND EVERY GAME if you're not going to use it to catch people up on stuff like that?

It isn't until after the first present day mission, if you decide to run around and exhaust everyone's dialogue options before hopping back into the Animus, where William will casually mention her and imply that she had joined the Templars and betrayed the Assassins.

Also, here's how the introduction of William looks to someone who hasn't touched the DLC: End of Brotherhood: Who the fuck is talking? End of Revelations: Who the fuck is he? Beginning of ACIII: What the fuck?

People ask all the time, "Hey, do I have play x before y?" And the answer is almost always, "Of course not, no developer is stupid enough to limit their potential user base by alienating newcomers." Except, apparently, for Assassin's Creed.

And the Homestead interface is NOT OK. It has nothing to do with me getting the hang of it and everything to do with it taking approximately 400 button presses (I did the math) if I want to send off 18 of the same item that happen to be the end of Connor's inventory because I can only set one at a time and the cursor goes back to the very beginning after each selection. People complained about having to go back to the Villa/bank to withdraw your money in the ACII games, but that was a single button press that only had to be done once every hour or two at the most, and served an actual purpose--preventing you from simply leaving your game on and idly collecting money. With the Homestead, it's every 12 minutes, plus once you get there, you have to fight through the menus again. Not worth it at all.
I don't think it's that big of a deal that they don't explicitly recap Lucy dying. Plenty of stories in different mediums come back for their next season or sequel and things have changed that are not explicitly detailed for the viewer, rather they pick up on it somewhere along the way (as in AC3).

That said, like you I found Desmond's statement that he knew Lucy was a Templar (was it just in that moment when Juno took control that he "knew"? I can't remember) was a little at odds with how it's dealt with in Revelations and in the early conversions in AC3. I felt that before we learn that Desmond "knew" it made a lot more sense how it was minorly dealt with in Revelations, just a very unexpected and sad event. Not much to say really, and just the small mention about her funeral. Wait... except you FUCKING MEET SUBJECT 16 IN THE FUCKING ANIMUS AND HE SAYS NOOOTHING ABOUT IT!!! The whole DLC is a total waste of time cause as soon as you see him you'd think Desmond would go "yo Juno made me kill Lucy and I'm in a coma now or somethin", to which 16 would reply "yeah dude, shes one crazy bitch. She totally betrayed me and I offed myself just to get away from her". Now I remember why I disliked Revelations so much, we finally get to meet this guy who we've been trying to find for 3 games, who has a bunch of answers and DESMOND SAYS AND ASKS FUCKING NOTHING IMPORTANT!!!!

I totally agree about the Homestead, the interface is half baked and is a nightmare to use. Luckily sending bear pelts seems to be the best option and isn't too hard (you don't have to wait for the animation to finish before pressing the next input so you can send off a convoy reasonably fast - but your still right it shouldn't be so clunky).

Did anyone use any of these: Rope darts, poison darts, bow and arrow, smoke bombs, trip bombs, bait, or snares? I only used them like once in the entire game.

For me, rope darts caused too much of a stir. Darts, arrows and smoke bombs make the game way too easy. Trip bombs are utterly worthless. Bait and snares are superfluous since hunting is already simple enough.

exYle

Did anyone use any of these: Rope darts, poison darts, bow and arrow, smoke bombs, trip bombs, bait, or snares? I only used them like once in the entire game.

For me, rope darts caused too much of a stir. Darts, arrows and smoke bombs make the game way too easy. Trip bombs are utterly worthless. Bait and snares are superfluous since hunting is already simple enough.

Snares, rope darts, and trip mines are all effective combat-counters, and rope darts are just plain cool. I used smoke bombs during the Lee chase, and the Bow & Arrow got more usage out of me than the guns.

Thoraxes, I didn't read your spoilers as I'm on
sequence 6
but you really hit the system.

None of the stuff is really spoilerific or story specific but I'm erring on the side of caution.

Free running was fun in the last few games. Maybe its because I'm only part way through, but I've yet to see any of the lanterns to swing around and
I have yet to see any ropes (for the hook blade).
Why are we moving backwards? Free-running used to be fun. You could literally go miles by simply free running as the design was so great that you would rarely stop. Here, it's stop and go, as besides it being touchy, none of the buildings really connect. I used to run around in the old city. Wanting to go between landmarks and sync spots, but because the buildings don't connect, it's not as fluid.
Hook blades was possible when you have building that were close to each other ..you can't implement this thank to the fact that the cities design themselves don't allow it.
Also it didn't fit into the time period.
You're right the city structure is the main flow ..New orleans ( creed liberation ) feels like the previous game cities just because you can really move like before ( even when that other game use the same climbing system as creed 3.

Its a bunch of the little things in this game from the regeneration of health to the lack of stores. Heck, my big thing right now is the lack of control over the map. Before, the map was easy to understand. Nice and big, allowed you to highlight or turn off any icon you wanted. Now? It's a giant mess. I'm trying to decipher where my mission is but I can't. Furthermore, why the heck would they have a system in which I need to press RB and go into a separate menu to choose my weapons. Why not, as in every other Assassin's game, just let us do it mid-fight without going into the separate menu? Why are we going backwards here?
Too many options, that's why you have to use the quick access option ( 4 slots ) for the weapons you use often
EDIT: I'll leave the above in there as I just figured out you can press the left stick to to access the maps. Still not as much control as in previous games but at least some control is there.

I just finished the
Boston Tea Party thing
and it's just not fun. Nothing is exciting. There are some parts where I enjoy such as the running in the trees but then we realize that not all trees connect. It feels a bit unfinished. Boston is a boring city that feels absolutely generic. I want to like it. I really do but I don't feel like I've accomplished anything so far.

I had high hopes for this game. As a Red Dead Redemption meets the AC franchise but it kinda soured on me. Normally, I want to complete 100% sync but I just don't. Some of the missions are just boring and feature awful AI.
For example, take the mission in sequence 6 when the French chef walks through the town. You don't really do anything. You just run before the guy gets there, stab one in the back, watch the other redcoats look at you before you stab him, and wait for the French cook to catch up to "incite the people".
It's just boring. Or the following mission where you have to kill 15 guys before it starts. I literally went through six of them standing there while I stabbed them in front of each other before moving onto the other 11. It was kinda hilarious but that shouldn't be happening.
Even the Boston Tea Party was just boring. It was run from ship to ship killing guys using our not-so-great fight system while occasionally throwing tea. Maybe the actual Boston Tea Party was fairly boring and this was accurate but it didn't make it exciting or fun.
The boston tea party is a very big Low of creed 3..they included it to match the "historical" part of the franchise..but yeah ....i was bored too. it get better afterwards.

It's not moot at all. They don't explain that Lucy had defected to the Templars until the Lost Archive. They end Brotherhood on a massive cliffhanger, then go on to not resolve it in the next game, but the DLC to that game. After this, they don't mention her at all, so if you go straight from ACII to ACIII and wonder where the hell Lucy is, you have to look that shit up, since it's nowhere in the game.
that's to be expected if you avoid 2 games of content
What's the point of having a SERIES RECAP AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH AND EVERY GAME if you're not going to use it to catch people up on stuff like that?
Because she became unimportant.. and desmond does talks about her while reactivating the temple.

you know who he is ( a confirmation ) if you've played revelation desmond sequences.

And the Homestead interface is NOT OK.
It has nothing to do with me getting the hang of it and everything to do with it taking approximately 400 button presses (I did the math) if I want to send off 18 of the same item that happen to be the end of Connor's inventory because I can only set one at a time and the cursor goes back to the very beginning after each selection. People complained about having to go back to the Villa/bank to withdraw your money in the ACII games, but that was a single button press that only had to be done once every hour or two at the most, and served an actual purpose--preventing you from simply leaving your game on and idly collecting money. With the Homestead, it's every 12 minutes, plus once you get there, you have to fight through the menus again. Not worth it at all.
Really i agree the homestead/trade interface is horrible..what's more annoying is that you don't get enough informations to exploit it properly ..and worse it's not fun !
Fortunatly , the game does have many other means to get money.

That said, like you I found Desmond's statement that he knew Lucy was a Templar (was it just in that moment when Juno took control that he "knew"? I can't remember) was a little at odds with how it's dealt with in Revelations and in the early conversions in AC3. I felt that before we learn that Desmond "knew" it made a lot more sense how it was minorly dealt with in Revelations, just a very unexpected and sad event. Not much to say really, and just the small mention about her funeral. Wait... except you FUCKING MEET SUBJECT 16 IN THE FUCKING ANIMUS AND HE SAYS NOOOTHING ABOUT IT!!! The whole DLC is a total waste of time cause as soon as you see him you'd think Desmond would go "yo Juno made me kill Lucy and I'm in a coma now or somethin", to which 16 would reply "yeah dude, shes one crazy bitch. She totally betrayed me and I offed myself just to get away from her". Now I remember why I disliked Revelations so much, we finally get to meet this guy who we've been trying to find for 3 games, who has a bunch of answers and DESMOND SAYS AND ASKS FUCKING NOTHING IMPORTANT!!!!
So true.. i think the thing here is since they both know , there is nothing to ask.
don't forget that desmond met subject 16 before revelations and they DO talk about lucy
I totally agree about the Homestead, the interface is half baked and is a nightmare to use. Luckily sending bear pelts seems to be the best option and isn't too hard (you don't have to wait for the animation to finish before pressing the next input so you can send off a convoy reasonably fast - but your still right it shouldn't be so clunky).
Ditto

Rope darts are cool , best new thing aside from the tomahawk.
Poison darts are useless.
Bow and arrow only if you hunt
Smoke bombs are still the best secondary item in the whole serie

IISANDERII

Just got this for Christmas and i don't know what the hell's happening. I lost my one and only convoy thing(don't know how to rescue them when they are attacked) and i guess i need to craft another? Where do i get lumber and other resources?
I also read somewheres that you can do naval convoys, is that right? I assume they're more profitable, so should i go directly to that?
Is there some beginner's guide for this stuff that anybody can recommend?

Scapegoat

Just got this for Christmas and i don't know what the hell's happening. I lost my one and only convoy thing(don't know how to rescue them when they are attacked) and i guess i need to craft another? Where do i get lumber and other resources?
I also read somewheres that you can do naval convoys, is that right? I assume they're more profitable, so should i go directly to that?
Is there some beginner's guide for this stuff that anybody can recommend?
Basically the convoy system is pretty useless until you do a few more Homestead missions and get the different artisans to live there. You will find Homestead missions everywhere, the Davenport Homestead map, on the Frontier, and in Boston/New York. If you can't see any available Homestead missions that means that they must be on uncovered portions of your map - so get explorin'.

I would highly recommend getting the first 2-3 artisans out of the way earlier rather than later. The game shot me in the foot this way and I did not unlock any of the extra artisans past the first until quite late in the game.

Stat!

Can you get money from the Homestead like you could in the Ezio trilogy? Like an income.

Absolutely. And it was far simpler and easier without the confusing interface.

I'm surprised they took it out to be honest (including all the shops). You purchased shops which would in turn produce a profit every 20 minutes to which you can collect. The shops had items in it which you could purchase yourself.

In Revelations, you had to open the shops up by clearing a den (aka mini boss-esque situations) where you had to kill a leader of an area and liberate the area from the templars. If the boss saw you, he ran and hid for a short period of time until the area reloaded). In Brotherhood, I believe you could upgrade your villa with the money. Again, all you had to do was purchase a shop which you could be standing outside of it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I posted my general impression in the Spoiler Thread but to join in here.

Having got this Christmas Day it has been a pretty big disappointment, America is
boring
, Connor is
poorly developed and is pretty boring too
. The world is so much more horizontal yet they never give you a way of traveling around in a more enjoyable way in the cities, and yet despite needing to run everywhere more there are more guards that randomly decide to chase you and guards of roofs that will shoot you down in little time making the whole free running bit a bit of a bore at times.

The only parts I really enjoyed were the first set of sequences
as Haytham
, everything else was a mish mash of random story bits that never really came together. A lot of potential was wasted in this game, and for seeming no reason, as a series to me it goes AC2 > Brotherhood --> Revelations ---->AC3.

The ending was a huge turd.

Christ, just finished it. The chase sequence at the end. So awful. Did they even play test it? So much about it was stupid, too:
Sneak up on Lee - CUTSCENE - chase him - have enough time to shoot him but game doesn't want you to - go through an awful burning ship section (must have restarted that 20 times or more) - finally catch up with him and just shoot him in a cutsence, anyway.

Even the brief section after that summed up the pacing problems that game had throughout. You get control of an injured Connor, stumble to the harbour master, cutscene, loading screen, stumble 10 yards to the pub, cutscene. Why not just put that whole section in a cutscene. I honestly thought I was gona have to 'press X to dig' when you get to Achilles' son's grave. Ugh.

Then you get back to boring old Desmond and his back tumour. If you press X while moving Desmond will ready his hidden blade despite not wearing it - another bug. Walk a bit, cutscene, walk another bit, final cutscenes.

After you get to the epilogue you are informed a new recipe is available for an equipment unlock. Turns out to be for large saddle bags. Great end of game unlock there, Ubisoft.

Omni

America is
boring

This times a million! I can't believe how dull it is.

I was against the idea of an Assassin's Creed game set during the American Revolution from the get go, but I was hoping to be proved wrong... Unfortunately I was not. The environment/backdrop in this game is incredibly bland; a huge step back from ACII.

Ubisoft should've went further back. They've got what, 2000 years of history to play with? (if not more?) Why did they need to set it so close to the present? Looking past terrible things like mission design, the story, character development, controls and secondary objectives it ruined the game for me.

nel e nel

How is the multiplayer for Assassin's Creed 3?

I'll echo what others have said, that it's still just as fun as the previous two releases. I really like the addition of Wolf Pack, but forget about playing it publicly. It's filled with low level folks who don't understand that walking to your target is the key to getting past sequence 5 on that mode.

The matchmaking itself is the best so far, with (finally!) reasonable wait times to get into a match. The only problem I've been running into is that the objective modes (manhunt/domination/artifact assault) are starting to be dominated by clans. I really prefer the objective based modes, but the last several days that I would put in some time, I almost always found a room with a full team of 4 on one side, and me stuck with a bunch of low level randoms who don't understand how to get kills higher than 250 points.

nel e nel

I just beat the game.

What the hell is this Pivot bullshit?

It unlocks the cheat codes that in previous games would be unlocked by getting 100% synchronization in the SP sequences. It's the most obtuse mechanic in the game, and isn't explained AT ALL. Like, not even 1 word. Had to look up videos that tried to sort of kinda half-way take a guess in the dark at explaining it.

It's not really worth the hassle, IMO. Unless you really want to control the weather with a bullet-proof Connor.

IISANDERII

Do you have to have the hidden blade equipped to do stealth assassinations? I hate the new weapon/tool equip process, I wish they would've kept the wheel from Brotherhood.
Basically the convoy system is pretty useless until you do a few more Homestead missions and get the different artisans to live there. You will find Homestead missions everywhere, the Davenport Homestead map, on the Frontier, and in Boston/New York. If you can't see any available Homestead missions that means that they must be on uncovered portions of your map - so get explorin'.

I would highly recommend getting the first 2-3 artisans out of the way earlier rather than later. The game shot me in the foot this way and I did not unlock any of the extra artisans past the first until quite late in the game.
Thank you.

Just completed the Homestead missions. (conclusion spoiler)
RIP, Achilles!

Nice outfit unlock, but I still wish I had the Aquila outfit (not the captain of the aquila bullshit outfit... fu, that one sucks) or that colonial disguise from earlier in the game. Just something more standard tricornery FFS.

Just finished the game. Ugh.

While they couldn't completely ruin the ACII formula for me, they sure as hell tried.

Trying my hardest to no write a page long post, so just, ugh.

My friend is having a problem in the PC version of the game where it'll crash at the end of any pre-rendered video. He was able to get to the very end of the game, but since there's a video there, he's totally unable to progress. Could someone please upload a save file that's post-credits and has none of the Forts completed? He's doing a video series on the Forts, so they need to still be occupied.

Zapages

Just finished Sequence 6... Man was it really needed to have first 5 sequences to be tutorial based.

This is what happens when you remove the paper manual of the game and fill the intro with tutorial type of things.

Aside from that, Connor is full on emo to the core and is played like a pawn from what I can tell in the story. >_> :|

Effect

It unlocks the cheat codes that in previous games would be unlocked by getting 100% synchronization in the SP sequences. It's the most obtuse mechanic in the game, and isn't explained AT ALL. Like, not even 1 word. Had to look up videos that tried to sort of kinda half-way take a guess in the dark at explaining it.

It's not really worth the hassle, IMO. Unless you really want to control the weather with a bullet-proof Connor.

It actually is explained. The explanation that's given, and it goes by very fast, assumes (wrongly I feel) you know what triangulation means, encountered it before (in geometry for example) and how to go about. The game then leaves you to figure out the rest. The whole intro for it just went by very fast but that word stood out and I realized what I had to do. It's a complete extra in the end and it can be ignored. So perhaps they felt if one really was interested they'll put in the work to figure it out considering what the end results are.

Just beat it. I'm one of the few that enjoyed the ride.

I felt Connor's role, no matter how naive, was by design. Complaints about that and his weaker qualities seem undeserved unless you're an adolescent and only want one-dimensional action heroes. His arc from
a determined and strong boy in a small pond, to a confused young man thrown into a new and changing world, to soaking in knowledge from a father figure while his real father plays games with his heart and mind, to eventually standing by his conviction to right the wrongs around him
....loved it.

His voice actor wasn't even as bad as people say. He was soft and well-spoken, and sounded like some native American actors I've heard before (but can't name or recall).

And Desmond's story. Why is this ending hated?
I get that the simple way to look at it is "He went against what the Assassins stand for. WTF!" But it's deeper than that. He chose not to be a hero of the people and instead allows humanity to rise up against a threat themselves. He's breaking the cycle that has played out already. Hell, Haytham said their goal is for the world to just be the way it is. Desmond went against that and has sparked a change. He may have even created the catalyst that unites mankind against a common enemy without force or mind control.

SJRB

Gold Member
It actually is explained. The explanation that's given, and it goes by very fast, assumes (wrongly I feel) you know what triangulation means, encountered it before (in geometry for example) and how to go about. The game then leaves you to figure out the rest. The whole intro for it just went by very fast but that word stood out and I realized what I had to do. It's a complete extra in the end and it can be ignored. So perhaps they felt if one really was interested they'll put in the work to figure it out considering what the end results are.

The only thing I remember from the "explenation" is the dude going "hey bro I hacked this thing check out my leet skills bro am I awesome or what".

Top Bottom