• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

SJRB

Gold Member
I've been on a media black out for this gander, and I'm currently playing it. I just
finished the prologue...whaaat, Haytham is a templar ? But Shaun's entry referred to him as a assassin...anyway great surprise and I like the fact that the interface didn't spill the surprise.

Fortunately that all got patched, the interface initially spoiled key story elements and plot twists from the very beginning.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Seriously screw Fanorona in the homestead, I've wasted 2 hours trying to beat the expert guy so far, I did nine mens morris in not so much time, and I have that other game to do, but this frustration for a bronze trophy, pain in the ass.

Fortunately that all got patched, the interface initially spoiled key story elements and plot twists from the very beginning.
How so?

Also, fuck this buggy piece of shit. Trying to get full sync on a later mission on the Aquila, and at one point, taking cover and using the swivel guns suddenly stopped working, forcing me to restart, then the fucking thing froze. Please go suck a dick, Ubisoft.

Dunan

As a longtime AC fan for whom AC2 is the pinnacle fo the franchise, I'm dreading the ending of this game despite staying away from any kind of spoiler!

Still, I got up to the end of Sequence 3 and enjoyed the twist there (which I didn't see coming until about 10 seconds before it happened).

Some of these "don't be detected" missions are annoying. I must have failed the "rescue the three groups of prisoners in the camp" mission 10 or 15 times, and a similar number of failures for the "infiltrate the fort in a snowstorm" mission soon after that. I can't seem to figure out how to do non-lethal takedowns, so I had to do the fort mission not just without killing anyone, but without incapacitating anyone, which was not fun.

Boston doesn't quite have the vibrancy that AC2, ACB, and ACR's cities had. Which doesn't give me confidence for New York, which wasn't anywhere near as developed in the 1750s as it is now (or was even 50 years later).

Multiplayer is as fun as always, though! I'm struggling to learn all these new avatars and what they look like from various angles, and am getting killed regularly in Simple Deathmatch. Manhunt seems a lot harder than it was in ACB ad ACR. Artifact Assault is a lot of fun, and Wolfpack is a fantastic addition. I can only imagine how much fun Wolfpack would be if you were playing with three friends, all of whom had headsets. As it is, it's frustrating because teammates will jump in and take kills from you. I want to somehow tell that ally of mine that I'm standing next to this target for three whole seconds not because I don't know to kill him, but because I (and we; this is a team effort) need that Focus bonus!

Any of you GAFfers playing Multi? Feel free to add me; I'm Heian_Xavier[/i]. Mention your GAF name so I know it's not just some random person.

nel e nel

How so?

Also, fuck this buggy piece of shit. Trying to get full sync on a later mission on the Aquila, and at one point, taking cover and using the swivel guns suddenly stopped working, forcing me to restart, then the fucking thing froze. Please go suck a dick, Ubisoft.

Apparently the entry for Haytham Kenway revealed that
he is a templar
long before it's revealed as part of the storyline.

Ha, must've been another oversight that could've been fixed had they not rushed it to be released before the apocalypse. Just finished it, ending was a load of bollocks.
But then, I guess Desmond is a stupid enough twat to let Juno take over the world or whatever.

Apparently, the Ubisoft servers were only down for the weekend. Just did the pivots. I enjoyed the scavenger hunt but I wish this game had Cross-controller play with the Vita to make using the map less tedious.

I really want more Connor. Even if just to untaint his character and the era for those who dislike the game.

Toa TAK

Banned
I really want more Connor. Even if just to untaint his character and the era for those who dislike the game.

Me too. As a 360 owner, I'm pretty bummed about not getting the Benedict Arnold missions. And I can't wait for the Tyranny DLC.

I'm sitting at 100% with all the achievements and I still want to go back. But what's there to do besides harassing bears? =(

Me too. As a 360 owner, I'm pretty bummed about not getting the Benedict Arnold missions. And I can't wait for the Tyranny DLC.

I'm sitting at 100% with all the achievements and I still want to go back. But what's there to do besides harassing bears? =(

it's just a small new area ..you explore everything quite fast and the mission themselves aren't that good ( they aren't bad either ) i'm glad this was free ..because if i had pay for it i would have felt abused.

So don't cry for the arnold missions you're not missing much

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Phew, one last trophy left which is the MP level 20 one and then I will be done with this game, a lot of hope and it just kind of fell flat, which is a shame.

If only Da Vinci had known Connor...

I think that is something I missed from AC3 compared to previous games, while Achilles was alright he was just kind of there and didn't really do anything at all, in previous games there were other characters that developed along with you, Da Vinci being one who you would always return to for unlocking the pages or new upgrades.

Speaking of, I missed upgrades too, as silly as it is I looked forward to new upgrades and getting shiny new armour or new weapons, I picked up a sword from a guard near the beginning of the game and then didn't buy anything else.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That's pretty much how I go through any of these games.

As long as you can counter, you're fine.

I always picked up a few more weapons in previous games while shopping for armour, but just ended up in every fight countering with the axe almost exclusively in AC3.

The Fort Wolcott Naval Mission was amazing!

kg6RTm.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh, Battle Hardened Pack is out now. Guess I should spend the $10 and the multiplayer achievements before the multiplayer is dead for that. :/

Toa TAK

Banned
The Fort Wolcott Naval Mission was amazing!

kg6RTm.png

Still a great level, though.

Huh, Battle Hardened Pack is out now. Guess I should spend the $10 and the multiplayer achievements before the multiplayer is dead for that. :/

The achievements aren't too bad this time around. Ever try Trueachievements?

The achievements are the only reason why I've touched MP. Beyond that, I could care less about it. Next up should be the Tyranny DLC.

Stat!

The homestead missions are so boring. I can't believe this level of boredom could be put into a game. You're their stupid errand boy for some of the most petty tasks and it's jsut lazy game design.

For example,
telling me to travel to the main city, go to the general store, buy the item and return. Which is basically --> Fast travel to harbour, load city, go to general store, fast travel to harbour, load homestead, return. It's just 10 minutes of boring.

Toa TAK

Banned
The homestead missions are so boring. I can't believe this level of boredom could be put into a game. You're their stupid errand boy for some of the most petty tasks and it's jsut lazy game design.

For example,
telling me to travel to New York. Go to the general store, buy the item and return. Which is basically --> Fast travel to harbour, load new york, go to general store, fast travel to harbour, load homestead, return. It's just 10 minutes of boring.

I actually really enjoyed the Homestead missions. They were a nice break, and a little bit addicting. Connor was building his own little community and it was cool to see him focus on helping those people.

Yep. I aint even denying that. So far that entire adventure has been more interesting than the main story.

Yeah, the Captain Kidd arc was great. Wish there were more like that in the game.

PowderedToast

idk, i think this game is the best yet, probably tied with the original when all is said and done

the writing is a huge improvement over the ezio titles - sharper, more ambitious and in every way more mature. while it has aspirations of a cinema blockbuster in scope and setpieces the actual character encounters are really accomplished. giving the assassin/templar dichotomy a personal tension with the connor/haytham relationship was real nice, and the story's meditation on the nature of morality puts it a lot closer to AC1 than the comic-book good v. evil tone of AC2.

the animation upgrades are like fucking nectar to my eyes. the frontier is atmospheric heaven. the array of tools allow more gameplay experimentation than ever before

but i agree that the game is also bloated and obtuse on a systems level, and it fails to overhaul the fundamentals of the mechanics that have been there since 2007. it still largely fails as a stealth game while still being the best in the series at it. a low bar, but the previous games were even worse so i honestly don't know why anybody had expectations for that

o yea the desmond stuff. it hits nuclear levels of terrible but it has always been comically bad so no loss

HardRojo

giving the assassin/templar dichotomy a personal tension with the connor/haytham relationship was real nice

Shame they didn't push that relationship further, would have made for a much better game overall since basically I only enjoyed the parts where Haytham was involved, the rest of the game was pretty meh for me, yawn-worthy even.

Toa TAK

Banned
Here's hoping that The Tyranny DLC is going to explore Connor's character differently, since in this alternate history, he never became an Assassin. That alone is just as interesting as the question the DLC is asking.

exYle

Here's hoping that The Tyranny DLC is going to explore Connor's character differently, since in this alternate history, he never became an Assassin. That alone is just as interesting as the question the DLC is asking.

What? Where'd you learn that?

When a Homestead Mission is listed at the same location as a general store, and if I go to the store, there appears to be no way to trigger the Homestead mission, can I just not do it yet or what?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
When a Homestead Mission is listed at the same location as a general store, and if I go to the store, there appears to be no way to trigger the Homestead mission, can I just not do it yet or what?
If I recall correctly you have to talk to the seller and buy the mission related item, under "mission items" or something like that

If I recall correctly you have to talk to the seller and buy the mission related item, under "mission items" or something like that

Oh, interesting. I'll try that.

How the hell am I supposed to know that?

Edit: Yep that worked, thanks.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh, interesting. I'll try that.

How the hell am I supposed to know that?
If it's the kind of misson I'm thinking about, during the dialogue back at the homestead it's implied you're going to the store to buy said item to help someone but yeah, it's not very clear and even less so if you triggered it a long while ago.

Omni

Eh. I'd be willing to give one more Connor/American Revolution game a go, but after that I'm done. Ideally Ubisoft would scrap him and the setting altogether and just go further back. There was no need to set AC3 in that time period and it feels like they did it JUST because Americans would feel more inclined to buy the game (See, pre-release marketing).

Eh. I'd be willing to give one more Connor/American Revolution game a go, but after that I'm done. Ideally Ubisoft would scrap him and the setting altogether and just go further back. There was no need to set AC3 in that time period and it feels like they did it JUST because Americans would feel more inclined to buy the game (See, pre-release marketing).

Is there a need to set these games in any particular time period? Thats the amazing thing about this franchise. It can go anywhere anytime. It was an election year and Americans buy a lot of video games so I can see it making business sense to choose colonial America as the backdrop. Hopefully more people were introduced to the series as a result and we get more AC games.

Toa TAK

Banned
I really want to see Connor in at least ONE more game. Like AC 3.5, but not set in the United States. Anywhere else, France, London, anywhere but the US again. I don't hate the US setting, I loved it really, but I want to go somewhere else. I got bored in being in Italy for two games, and was happy to see Ezio go somewhere new.

Moar Connor and a new setting this year please.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If they give us another Connor game it should have a bigger navel part, hell, I'd be happy with it being the biggest part, I think the boat gameplay was some of the best parts of the game, even when it was just used to travel between some land missions.

Maybe he goes to the Caribbean, America isn't going to get massively vertical in Connors life, why not something Wind Waker like. Lots of smaller cities and a large ocean to explore with missions land or water based, Far Cry/Just Cause 2 style, if you can see it you can go to it and explore it.
I could totally see myself enjoying that.

But we'll probably just get another city or two that in the end wont be noticeably different from each other or Boston/NY.

I really want to see Connor in at least ONE more game. Like AC 3.5, but not set in the United States. Anywhere else, France, London, anywhere but the US again. I don't hate the US setting, I loved it really, but I want to go somewhere else. I got bored in being in Italy for two games, and was happy to see Ezio go somewhere new.

Moar Connor and a new setting this year please.

If we actually get London or Paris in a game I would much rather a whole new character, having Connor as a Native American go over might be interesting but if Haythem was anything to go by someone new with actual ties to the location would be far more interesting.

FroJay

Banned
Like the game, liked Connor as the lead character, felt like the game went on a little long and the ending was a little meh. Overall I really enjoyed the experience, can't believe this is my 5th AC game from start to finish. I think a 2 year gap until the next one on next gen hardware could get me hyped again. Didn't lay a finger on the Homestead missions, just stuck to the main story and that was it. Probably the best AC game I've played of the 5 console versions.

Is there a need to set these games in any particular time period? Thats the amazing thing about this franchise. It can go anywhere anytime. It was an election year and Americans buy a lot of video games so I can see it making business sense to choose colonial America as the backdrop. Hopefully more people were introduced to the series as a result and we get more AC games.

You guys seem to forget that a big reason the game was set in America was to show how Desmond's bloodline got here. Not some kind of marketing ploy to attract Americans. The advertising, the way it was, made sense given the holidays they coincided with but the actual motivation to make the game had nothing to do with more sales in NA.

The American Revolution was just as important as the Italian Renaissance and we needed to see how the Assassins got here... or at least Desmond's lineage. Those reasons enough justify the game. Sure, architecturally, it wasn't up to snuff, but that is accurate. The wilderness was the real draw. I applaud them for thinking outside of their previous comfort zone of walled cities. I look forward to more variety in locations so long as they weren't deterred by the naysayers who only want tall, recognizable buildings in posh settings.

Like the game, liked Connor as the lead character, felt like the game went on a little long and the ending was a little meh. Overall I really enjoyed the experience, can't believe this is my 5th AC game from start to finish. I think a 2 year gap until the next one on next gen hardware could get me hyped again. Didn't lay a finger on the Homestead missions, just stuck to the main story and that was it. Probably the best AC game I've played of the 5 console versions.

the naval battles are excellent and so was the sub quest with the trinklets .. you should do them as they are really the highlight of this game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just started the PC version. Boy this game is a glitchy jank fest. I love the setting, voice acting and graphics. I hope the gameplay gets better. How is it possible to pick pocket a red coat in a restricted area while there are other red coats around? They go agro almost instantly. I just mass murdered them, but the idea was to use stealth. I've never made it through a AC game before, I hope this becomes my first. I must push on!

Beat it. The first AC game that I've finished. I just don't think the series is for me. I began feeling bored a large amount of the time. Didn't feel like bothering with side missions.

Naval battles were awesome though. I want a game built around that stuff.

Glitchy game is an understatement. I've seen some weird shit in this playthrough.

alf717

Finally finished the game. Outside of the obvious issues, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

30+ hours have been put in.

Finished the game yesterday. I had a blast playing it. Really enjoyed the naval missions. Story was good as well. I've encounter a few bugs mainly the missing icon bug. I have other stuff to do but the map is empty. The Animus thing at the end made no sense to me, the bug tracking thing or whatever it is called.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
What's the key (PC) to grab a body when a firing squad is about to fire at me? This occurred once in the year long tutorial and I forgot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finished the game just now.

Bleh.

I just kinda laughed at the end when Connor was like "British took my people and my land. Oh well. YOLO I guess" and then the game completely left him within a span of 10 seconds
Seriously! What the fuck. :lol :lol

Finished the game yesterday. I had a blast playing it. Really enjoyed the naval missions. Story was good as well. I've encounter a few bugs mainly the missing icon bug. I have other stuff to do but the map is empty. The Animus thing at the end made no sense to me, the bug tracking thing or whatever it is called.

The naval stuff is great. The missions are all a lot of fun, and the Captain Kidd campaign was excellent.

The narrative and gameplay both suffer from the "5 hours of tutorial", but the script is quite good down the stretch. (Spoilers)
Even though he's not exactly the most likable lead, the journey of Connor being very naïve and getting in over his head was very interesting, especially the triangle of different interests and motivations between Haytham, Washington, and Connor. There is a good payoff when his actions lead to him losing his people, killing his tribe member was a powerful moment. Honestly, my biggest complaint about Connor would actually be the voice actor they choose for him, not a big fan of his performance.

Desmond's story was ultimately a disappointment. Not much else to say there.

Top Bottom