• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

I felt Connor's role, no matter how naive, was by design. Complaints about that and his weaker qualities seem undeserved unless you're an adolescent and only want one-dimensional action heroes.

...or you played the previous games and realize what a pussy Connor is when compared to Ezio who went through similar circumstances.

...or you played the previous games and realize what a pussy Connor is when compared to Ezio who went through similar circumstances.
Oh, I didn't realize everyone is supposed to react the same.

I forgot Ezio was torn between
his real father as the enemy and a father figure as his mentor
while thrust into a developing world at war.

Yes, Connor was more Naive than Ezio at first... What's the problem? It made for a different experience than Ezio's confidence and determination no matter what.

Also, I feel the homestead missions and that look he made at the (minor epilogue and possible sequel spoiler)
slave auction after hearing the colonials shout "death to the oppressors" to the fleeing British show his true character more so than any other action in the game. I really hope we see Connor again fighting for the oppressed in a Brohood-like sequel.

My friend is having a problem in the PC version of the game where it'll crash at the end of any pre-rendered video. He was able to get to the very end of the game, but since there's a video there, he's totally unable to progress. Could someone please upload a save file that's post-credits and has none of the Forts completed? He's doing a video series on the Forts, so they need to still be occupied.

Your friend probably deleted the warning_disclaimer.bik and ubi_logo.bik. I know because that's the exact same issue I had until I replaced them with blank files. Put them back and the game should work properly after the ending video.

Your friend probably deleted the warning_disclaimer.bik and ubi_logo.bik. I know because that's the exact same issue I had until I replaced them with blank files. Put them back and the game should work properly after the ending video.

That's exactly it! Thank you! Looks like save files can't be transferred between Uplay accounts anyway, so that request was pointless. But you saved the day!

Did you find this solution yourself? My friend would like to know because he got the same solution suggested to him on the official support forum by a user that said it had been posted elsewhere in that forum, but that forum is terribly organized. He says he's seen others with this exact issue, and would like to make the solution easier to find if possible.

That's exactly it! Thank you! Looks like save files can't be transferred between Uplay accounts anyway, so that request was pointless. But you saved the day!

Did you find this solution yourself? My friend would like to know because he got the same solution suggested to him on the official support forum by a user that said it had been posted elsewhere in that forum, but that forum is terribly organized. He says he's seen others with this exact issue, and would like to make the solution easier to find if possible.

Yeah after some deep Googling I was led to:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...exe-has-stopped-working?p=8799753#post8799753

Now I know the ending cinematics by heart now since I had to watch them each like 5 times before I solved it. That's what I get for trying to outsmart Ubi's forced intros, I suppose.

I just found out I could've been carrying a sword and a tomahawk at the same time this whole time. This game is tons of fun, but it doesn't explain shit to you.

nel e nel

It actually is explained. The explanation that's given, and it goes by very fast, assumes (wrongly I feel) you know what triangulation means, encountered it before (in geometry for example) and how to go about. The game then leaves you to figure out the rest. The whole intro for it just went by very fast but that word stood out and I realized what I had to do. It's a complete extra in the end and it can be ignored. So perhaps they felt if one really was interested they'll put in the work to figure it out considering what the end results are.

I know what triangulation is, the problem is that it works very strangely in the game (that, or I'm just not trained in how to do it properly). I would put down two pivots to get my first line, and when I put down my 3rd pivot, it wouldn't create a triangle, it would create an X and highlight the area on the opposite side of the 3rd pivot.

HtlzR.jpg

So if I put down pivots on points A & B in the diagram, I would have a vertical line (S). Fine, no problem. If I put a 3rd pivot on the star, it would not create a triangle like in the diagram, instead it would create an X with the vectors from A-Star and B-Star, and highlight the area on the right hand side of the star, instead of on the left hand side of the star.

http://youtu.be/K-NKyjP2Puo?t=1m22s

Here's a video for an example. Why, when he places the 3rd pivot, does it highlight the area to the right of the triangle he creates?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I know what triangulation is, the problem is that it works very strangely in the game (that, or I'm just not trained in how to do it properly). I would put down two pivots to get my first line, and when I put down my 3rd pivot, it wouldn't create a triangle, it would create an X and highlight the area on the opposite side of the 3rd pivot.

HtlzR.jpg

So if I put down pivots on points A & B in the diagram, I would have a vertical line (S). Fine, no problem. If I put a 3rd pivot on the star, it would not create a triangle like in the diagram, instead it would create an X with the vectors from A-Star and B-Star, and highlight the area on the right hand side of the star, instead of on the left hand side of the star.

http://youtu.be/K-NKyjP2Puo?t=1m22s

Here's a video for an example. Why, when he places the 3rd pivot, does it highlight the area to the right of the triangle he creates?

It detects the missing pivots between the lines created by the pivots you lay rather than the actual pivots, your making shapes to section off the map to find them but it is across the whole map rather than just between them. Which is why it highlighted next to the triangle he had made because the pivot was between the lines and the edge of the map rather than in between his shape.

I don't think he showed it on the video but there is another menu option below that one with the map and it lets you cycle through the pivot locations on the map, then you can change between them and it will highlight what part of the map it is hiding between the lines. If he used another pivot and put it on the opposite side of the highlighted area it would then draw some more lines that you could move through and would show you what areas are highlighted between the created sections.

Personally I think this works better whether it makes much sense to some or not, having to place pivots around an exact location and close it would take ages to do, while this lets you section off parts of the whole map to close in on.

nel e nel

It detects the missing pivots between the lines created by the pivots you lay rather than the actual pivots, your making shapes to section off the map to find them but it is across the whole map rather than just between them. Which is why it highlighted next to the triangle he had made because the pivot was between the lines and the edge of the map rather than in between his shape.

I don't think he showed it on the video but there is another menu option below that one with the map and it lets you cycle through the pivot locations on the map, then you can change between them and it will highlight what part of the map it is hiding between the lines. If he used another pivot and put it on the opposite side of the highlighted area it would then draw some more lines that you could move through and would show you what areas are highlighted between the created sections.

Personally I think this works better whether it makes much sense to some or not, having to place pivots around an exact location and close it would take ages to do, while this lets you section off parts of the whole map to close in on.

Whoa! So this function allows you to choose which triangle is highlighted?

HALP! Sequence 7
I have to run across the field from cover to cover in-between rounds of fire from the redcoats. When the hell do you run? I've gone after muzzle flashes from the redcoats, bullets hitting my cover spot, and artillery hitting near me and none of those seem to work.

SJRB

Gold Member
HALP! Sequence 7
I have to run across the field from cover to cover in-between rounds of fire from the redcoats. When the hell do you run? I've gone after muzzle flashes from the redcoats, bullets hitting my cover spot, and artillery hitting near me and none of those seem to work.

My best advice would be to run for it as soon as the bluecoats fire. They take turns firing, so you have to figure out the timing. There's a small window of oppertunity. For me it was a matter of trial and error, it took quite a few tries before I made it across.

My best advice would be to run for it as soon as the bluecoats fire. They take turns firing, so you have to figure out the timing. There's a small window of oppertunity. For me it was a matter of trial and error, it took quite a few tries before I made it across.

Thanks, yeah I eventually figured it out through some trial and error.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Game done. I liked it more than most. The ending, as usual, is confusing. It is more clear than the other games though. I just wonder where the next games will go. Will they continue on using the story as it is now?

Connor was a solid character. Not like Ezio, but Connor seemed to have much more underlying issues and motivations than Ezio ever did. The writers made him hard-headed, stubborn, and sometimes a jerk but they gave him a reason to be. I like Ezio more, but I get Connor.

Now I just have a crap ton of side stuff to finish.

Game done. I liked it more than most. The ending, as usual, is confusing. It is more clear than the other games though. I just wonder where the next games will go. Will they continue on using the story as it is now?

Connor was a solid character. Not like Ezio, but Connor seemed to have much more underlying issues and motivations than Ezio ever did. The writers made him hard-headed, stubborn, and sometimes a jerk but they gave him a reason to be. I like Ezio more, but I get Connor.

Now I just have a crap ton of side stuff to finish.

I'm happy to see someone else get Connor. My posts above and/or on the previous page show my appreciation compared to most.

Effect

I used the shots from the British hitting the cover I was behind as my signal to start running. Looking at the animations of them firing wasn't working out.\

As for Connor, I don't get the dislike for him. I liked him and think they did do a good job of making you understand where he was coming from. Why he tried to do things a certain way until he had enough. Some comments made it seem like he was unaware of when he was being used. That he had no motivations for anything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Out of curiosity, how many sequences are in this?

I think I'm going to play the game just to get to the ending now, rather than doing all of the sidecontent that I usually try to do.. :/

Sober

Okay, finally finished the game. This, besides maybe AC1 I played mostly all the way through completion. Played 2/Bro/Rev at a friend's place so most of it was spent on the story and not much on side content, until now. Will have to go back and try those one day. Have a bunch of thoughts on AC3 though, even though some were echoed earlier in the thread even on this last page or two.

-Present day: Pretty much all hot garbage and felt like a chore to play for the most part. Not sure why they had to make all new models for this part of the game. The Brotherhood ones were pretty great already.
or stuff like Lucy being a Templar, which is what I assumed was revealed in some DLC I never played but they kept talking about it

-Connor wasn't as bad as everyone was making him out to be (as far as spoiler-free warnings could be). VO was good, especially when he spoke up, yelled at some of the other people.
Yep, I pretty much agree with this. Ezio also had the benefit of us following him for so many more years of his life. We did get to see Connor go from like 5 to 25 or so, but it was all in the service of the same plot line.

-Haytham was just amazing, no doubt about it. Probably one of the more memorable parts of the game.

-Homestead: okay, the FedExing for people was annoying as heck sometimes, but all the characters were great. Don't think some people liked the whole Homestead part, maybe because it was much more involved and separate from the main story, but it was a nice bit of fresh air to interact with some characters that weren't sort of pre-written, aka the founding fathers.

-I did hate the interface for trading, holy crap that was offensive.

-Not sure if it wasn't because I didn't open enough chests right away for recipes but I didn't even know things like naval trading was possible.

-Very obtuse as hell as to how you even work the Homestead, other than knowing you don't make periodic income from it like previous games. Trading was annoying with one item at a time, multiple clickthroughs and everything. Artisans didn't seem to be able to level up until later at sequence 8 or 9, which was a bit annoying as most things were just not allowed.

-is it possible to just skip all the Homestead missions? I'm guessing it's possible but it seems to make the homestead map more boring than not
(Also I assume you don't witness Achilles pass away as there would be no funeral with the townsfolk in it? Or would they just skip the funeral scene?

-Crafting in fact felt really just ... pointless to me, except as a way to make income from trading, which was so annoying it wasn't really worth doing even when I could craft something. I didn't even touch bombs in ACRev (except the smoke ones) because it felt like crafting for the sake of having crafting.

-Brotherhood management - really stripped down, I understand why narratively but still felt it was really pared down for the 5th or so game in a franchise when Bro and Rev had pretty well though-out assassin management. The new "tricks" for your backup are nice but only assassinate and marksmen were any help (not that combat was any bit hard that I ever had to call for help).

-Weapon wheel: HOLY HELL what happened here? Such a downgrade from the previous games. Not that most of the new tools they added were worth using. Rope darts where a hassle to use, poison darts didn't seem to do much any time they were used, gun/bow are at the top, call horse is annoying but needed so I should've hotkeyed that, tomahawk was ages ahead of any sword.

-Speaking of the tomahawk, why did they tease us with Connor using it as a hookblade-like tool in a cutscene and never let us use it?

-"SAFE" Freerunning: Why was this really needed? I guess I liked not having to hold down A/Space (first AC with a gamepad) as using the trigger to determine running vs free running was cool, but I really didn't like all those autojumps. I might be remembering wrong but you had to make more jumps while on roofs in the older AC games. Climbing is a bit of a bore as well as it does all the "jumps" while climbing up. I guess it helped I didn't end up making some stupid impossible jumps so whatever.

-Almanac pages were a dumb idea (the chasing them). Not enough to really annoy me except a few but I am curious who thought that was a good idea at all.

-Naval Combat was one of my other highlights of the game. Just absolute blast for the most part, even when getting my butt kicked. The
Captain Kidd map
missions were a good change of pace for the most part, so I enjoyed it. Reward was a bit lackluster for it though.

-Combat was weird, as it took me a while to realize they changed it from hold RT to parry to hold B to parry/counter/etc. Not a lot of enemy variety either
I honestly only ever had grenades thrown at me once
Targeting system was a step back from previous games, except at least they decided to make the highlight even bolder? I guess that was okay?

-Weather felt like 95% pointless except to slow me down running or to change the scenery. Didn't have too much to do with it affecting most of anything, really.

-Horse collision detection is probably the worst thing besides the present day storyline. How that got through confounds me.

-just felt really unpolished in some spots, like if you moved close to a story start it would cut off any dialogue and start the cutscene. Missed some cool lines that way
the last line or so of Achilles note as you dig a grave were cut off, and I was practically waiting every two lines to continue digging
, or how when in the present day people were talking to Desmond their heads would twist way further than they should.

edit: also, no way to turn off hints, or I might've missed it glancing at UI element toggles. Don't know why the game still needs to remind me how to combat rogue wind/waves or something or how to back eject (well I guess that's the downside of "safe" freerunning)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I just did all the Naval missions on my way to finishing everything off, I think besides the first three sequences of the main story it was one of the more enjoyable parts of the game.

The mechanics were pretty solid, and the missions were good too, I could see myself enjoying a game that was essentially just the naval parts of the game with the different land missions between sea battles like they were but expanded.

I really liked the feel from sailing and moving the ship, had a really nice weight to it and the bigger main battles looks fantastic in the middle of the bad weather and seas.
Was good fun.

the rope blade was good stuff . you just had to be aware that i'd work only if your target isn't facing you ...

There wasn't any reason to use poison however

Gregorn

That was the end? Lol all that build up for nothing.

I guess they're free to do something that makes more sense now. It seemed like the story was originally meant to be a trilogy but the games were selling too well to stick to that idea.

Marleyman

Banned
That was the end? Lol all that build up for nothing.

I guess they're free to do something that makes more sense now. It seemed like the story was originally meant to be a trilogy but the games were selling too well to stick to that idea.

I just don't get where they go from here.
Juno takes over the world and then what? You have to assassinate the Ones who Came Before who are on Juno's side? God of War type stuff? I just don't know where they are going to go that will remain similar to the AC series.

I just don't get where they go from here.
Juno takes over the world and then what? You have to assassinate the Ones who Came Before who are on Juno's side? God of War type stuff? I just don't know where they are going to go that will remain similar to the AC series.

you could
go on looking for clues across time periods to find a way to discuss with those who came before and counter attack against juno afterwards

So I enjoyed Brotherhood and Revelations and was hoping the same was going to be done with Connor (maybe one where he's in the French Revolution), but with Desmond dead, is this even possible? Has there been any hint to other Connor games before AC4?

So I enjoyed Brotherhood and Revelations and was hoping the same was going to be done with Connor (maybe one where he's in the French Revolution), but with Desmond dead, is this even possible? Has there been any hint to other Connor games before AC4?

it's possible ..there are other people they can use to put in the animus to reach connor and abstergo has most of connor memories (if not all )

SJRB

Gold Member

Endgame spoiler:

How can you still be controlling Connor now that Desmond is dead..? And who was giving the pivot explenation, and to who?

Exactly. I'm willing to bet Ubi's going to pull an Inception and someone else was controlling Desmond who was controlling Connor. So the Desmond segments weren't real either. Probably happening in the future to discover how Juno was released from captivity. Or something, I mean this schlock basically writes itself at this point.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
you could
go on looking for clues across time periods to find a way to discuss with those who came before and counter attack against juno afterwards

Seems like the most likely scenario to me,
whoever we will play next, if they decide to not bring Desmond back which I hope they don't, will probably have to go looking for pieces of Eden to combat the Templars and Juno, or both I guess if she takes them over.

While the ending was shitty it did get rid of Desmond and will hopefully allow for a less pointless character that he ended up becoming, which in turn will hopefully mean more varied locations to visit, America is easily the most boring location in an Assassin's Creed game.

Sure,
they can stick any of Connor's decedents in the machine to access his memories up to when whatever child their genetic line follows. That doesn't mean that they will be able to access Altair and Ezio too mind as we don't know when their ancestors crossed and we know Altair and Ezio weren't related, but don't know if Connor's dad came from the same lineage of both, just one, or neither.

Effect

As for more Connor
Desmond was saying that Connor was he's father's ancestor too when they were arguing. So he could always be the one in the machine. Do we know if Desmond has any siblings? In fact putting his father in could also be a good excuse to change up the gameplay. Saying he's more experienced, etc could be used to explain new new gameplay mechanic that is thought up. Not sure I like the idea though of someone using the memories of someone else like the epilogue section seems to suggest.

during all the stuff in creed 3 or during teh desmond stuff in revelation , there was no indication that he had brothers or sisters.
heck even in creed 3 when desmond and his father discuss the state of their familly , the talk about it as a whole and in detail and teh only question asked ( by desmond ) was the mother

Good God, they really took their time with making this one. Fucking ridiculous amount of glitches. Reminds me of most Bethesda products. Shit like lip sync issues (one guy in a cutscene stood there with his mouth agape the whole time), graphical glitches (some sections of the underground areas are visually fucked), counter icons sometimes not appearing at all, certain sidemissions glitching out and not starting properly and forcing me to restart to try again. So incredibly well polished. 3 years well spent.

Good God, they really took their time with making this one. Fucking ridiculous amount of glitches. Reminds me of most Bethesda products. Shit like lip sync issues (one guy in a cutscene stood there with his mouth agape the whole time), graphical glitches (some sections of the underground areas are visually fucked), counter icons sometimes not appearing at all, certain sidemissions glitching out and not starting properly and forcing me to restart to try again. So incredibly well polished. 3 years well spent.

Hey man, beating Halo 4 and Black Ops II to market was clearly more important!

Indeed. Just got into a fight where Connor refused to use his fucking weapon for the majority of it, and one guy refused to die after I caved his head in with a tomahawk about 10 times in a row. Then some asshole hit me repeatedly while the counter icon refused to appear, killing me. Oh yeah, and I was in a recently liberated fort. I was incognito, and then the fucking guards suddenly went aggro on me, which tends to happen a lot in the New York map.

Indeed. Just got into a fight where Connor refused to use his fucking weapon for the majority of it, and one guy refused to die after I caved his head in with a tomahawk about 10 times in a row. Then some asshole hit me repeatedly while the counter icon refused to appear, killing me. Oh yeah, and I was in a recently liberated fort. I was incognito, and then the fucking guards suddenly went aggro on me, which tends to happen a lot in the New York map.

My favorite was a Homestead mission where a whole bunch of people were breaking down a house and the game wouldn't let me punch anyone so I had to jump into enemies repeatedly while my allies beat them down.

Went to talk to one of my recruits, and this happened:

tFvVG.jpg

00lY8.jpg

nCHBK.jpg

P9AjU.jpg

I've also come across Achilles standing in the inn with a beer mug where his cane is meant to be. Also, one of the early missions where you go to buy some stuff for him from a general store had him standing in the street with an invisible cane.

My new favorite glitch was when I was infiltrating a fort and killed a guard from a corner. This left his body sitting up against the wall, hunched over. Normal. But not normal was when colonial soldiers rushed in, ran past and started attacking redcoats, I kill both sides, but the battle music still plays with a voice shouting "Get him!" etc. Upon closer inspection of the dead bodies, I see Mr. hunched against the wall still has a red triangle above his head shouting orders to attack. So lazy.

To top it off, there was a pick-pocketer who had a death wish or something as he casually jogged through this very fort over and over with pleas to leave him alone. But the patroling guards didn't care haha.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
My favorite glitch was when
precisely right after I buried Achilles he appeared inside the house putting his family portrait over the fireplace, walked off in silence then said a single "good morning" after the cutscene was done.
Scared the shit out of me because it almost felt like it was intentional, lol.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
It's possible to do the Benedict Arnold missions post-game right? I just feel like getting through the rest of the story now and doing the rest of the side stuff later.

_Isaac

precisely right after I buried Achilles he appeared inside the house putting his family portrait over the fireplace, walked off in silence then said a single "good morning" after the cutscene was done.

Wow. That actually sounds pretty awesome.

iNvid02

haha this game

Stat!

I'll write a bigger response later as I just finished it.

I've never been had a franchise where I was so invested in through 4 games, through 100% sync rates, ruin itself so quickly through 1 game. What's worse is that it just doesn't make sense some of the design choices. Cities were boring. The world felt unconnected. The mechanics from previous games that had worked so well - gone.

What became a yearly franchise that I looked forward to has ruined itself for me. It's just mind-boggling some of the decisions, how unpolished the game feels, how sorry the AI feels. A brutal overarching story, a brutal game overall from its mechanics to its story.

Honestly, the whole
Juno/Minerva thing. 2 games ago, when they introduced this BS with the Gods, I knew it wouldn't end well. They're just extending it for the sake of extending it. All they had to do was have a larger apple which could destroy all the other apples. Have Desmond find the key with Connor. Destroy the other apples and live on. For future games, just have a prequel with Clay and his trilogy as he plays as Chinese, Russian, and possibly British agents/ Let's be honest. The draw of Assassin's Creed isn't Desmond. It's Altair, Ezio, and Connor as they play through the Holy Land, Italy, Constantinople, and America. I just kinda laughed at the end when Connor was like "British took my people and my land. Oh well. YOLO I guess" and then the game completely left him within a span of 10 seconds

I've been on a media black out for this gander, and I'm currently playing it. I just
finished the prologue...whaaat, Haytham is a templar ? But Shaun's entry referred to him as a assassin...anyway great surprise and I like the fact that the interface didn't spill the surprise.

Effect

Had that as well. At first I thought maybe Connor imagining something (I've seen that in shows and movies before when a person walks around an house after an event like that) but clearly there was no acknowledgement from him and I realized that was not what was happening. Then that never happen again after I left the homestead and came back. I knew glitches with multiple copies of people could happen so I was prepared for that. However that didn't happen but the above did.

Top Bottom