• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

markot

Banned
Its part of the EUROGAMER network!

Also check the huge ad on Eurogamer and the one on RPS now!

I sitll think RPS is a good pc site though ^_^

Yagharek

I just hope there's no editorial interference. Eg tend to turn a blind eye to big issues until after customers have spent money en masse.

giri

I know this sounds like a hollow statement. but EA give me very little reason to bother using Origin. Or any of their games. I wonder if they will soon start banning accounts for infringements done on other websites? It's not unfeasible given the fickleness of their current policy.

It certainly means if i ever bought another EA game i'd never ever use their official forums or any site where they have "mod" control of that relates to my account. Effectively killing a big slice of their "community" building attempts.

Oh lol. I just remembered Bioware's publisher is EA.

Well, that makes a move to SWTOR even less likely.

Just fanatically stupid. I believe just about every other platform like this separates the in game account from the forums accounts.

Yagharek

I will never buy an ea product. They are criminals who can never be trusted.
The only platform holder I have any trust in their competence is of course Nintendo.

I don't know what I would do if Wii U required Origin connectivity. It would be an impossible decision.

Jintor

Hey Vince, could you lay out your justification re: preferring the DSi network as a DD system? I suspect it's related to the way in which it organises ownership of content, correct?

Yagharek

It can't get hacked, ownership is transferrable between systems, there is no chance of being banned from it and an online connection isn't required to play offline. All things that are an issue on xbl, psn, steam, origin and IOS.

It has shortfalls too, but I don't feel as subject to the whims of the publisher.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had a customer waiting for like fifteen minutes and six pages when I tried to call Bourke Street JB DVDs yesterday to confirm Baywatch Season 3 was in. I blame this on EatChildren. After the first page anyone from software is supposed to get it. YOU GUYS.

It can't get hacked ... there is no chance of being banned from it
Not being an owner of these devices, is this at all correct? Surely Nintendo's servers can be hacked if there is any storage of previous purchases and how the ownership relates to your specific device. You could hack in and transfer ownership to other devices.

And couldn't they ban you from re-downloading your content if you needed to?

Fredescu

The only platform holder I have any trust in their competence is of course Nintendo.
The inability to transfer digitally purchased Wii games to a new system is pretty damned incompetent. Having to send your system to the manufacturer is as good as temporary account ban. This is why I've never bought anything on the Wii, despite there being many many games I'm interested in. Admittedly I haven't looked into the option of piracy if it happens. That may be a valid alternative now.

legend166

So it looks like I'm going to NYC for two weeks at the beginning of June.

Flights are booked.

Only $1200 on Qantas. Ridiculous price.

Jintor

greasyshutins.png

I'm not quite sure how The Horses by Darryl Braithwaite (feat. Margaret Urlich) ended up on my iPhone but hey, I still know the words :/

Yagharek

The inability to transfer digitally purchased Wii games to a new system is pretty damned incompetent. Having to send your system to the manufacturer is as good as temporary account ban. This is why I've never bought anything on the Wii, despite there being many many games I'm interested in. Admittedly I haven't looked into the option of piracy if it happens. That may be a valid alternative now.

You can transfer purchases if your system is sent in for repair.

Kritz

Banned
I feel like I have some kind of obligation to now try and find a game to do a video game review on after that weird thing yesterday. I'm still not really sure what happened.

@dr_nic seemed to have tweeted kritz.net stuff at around 12:30, then there was a games.on.net article about it, then stuff kinda spiralled from nic's twitter, and now I have like 20 followers who are all mostly Australian journalists working on various magazines / games.on.net and also Leigh "775 million dollars" Alexander.

I think like a week ago serrels also tweeted the uncharted or skyrim review as well.

So that was a cool thing that happened. I guess I'll have to try and do something with RAGE as it's the only game I'm playing at the moment that doesn't have a review.

Axiom

Got my mum's Christmas Kindle in the mail and am now fully aware that it doesn't actually come in a box worth wrapped. Now to come up with ways to creatively wrap it without giving away that it's a tiny little thing.

I swear I had this conversation in a completely different context in regards to an ex once.

giri

Got my mum's Christmas Kindle in the mail and am now fully aware that it doesn't actually come in a box worth wrapped. Now to come up with ways to creatively wrap it without giving away that it's a tiny little thing.

I swear I had this conversation in a completely different context in regards to an ex once.

ugh i need to order 2 of them today.

Fredescu

PDFs work. I tested a couple. They work natively, but they're much better if you use Calibre (free http://calibre-ebook.com/) to convert them to mobi format. This allows you to scale the font sizes etc like you can with regular Kindle books. I guess there must be some pdfs that don't seamlessly convert to mobi, but the couple I tried did.

markot

Banned
I haven't read books for AGES, but that seems like a pretty sweet deal. Do average-arse PDFs work on it or do they have to be in a very specific format?
Yeah, but all the e books you get from amazon are kindle only formatses >.<

Ummm. And Ghost recon for 3ds is like 18 bucks at GAME, so get it! I WILL!

markot

Banned
Um cant you transfer 3ds stuff to other 3dses now? Or is it in the upcoming firmware thingy? or am I making it up.

Aslo, if you want to get into wow, GAME! has a free wotlk expansion if you get the expansion, and cata is like 20 bucks, so its only 40 for all of wow! instead of the usual 100ish.

Jintor

I find pdfs on Kindles to convert badly, the formatting is shithouse generally, though bear in mind I'm just popping the pdf directly onto the thing and not reconverting in any direction.

Fredescu

I find pdfs on Kindles to convert badly, the formatting is shithouse generally, though bear in mind I'm just popping the pdf directly onto the thing and not reconverting in any direction.
You're not really converting in that case, you're just viewing. It doesn't know how to scale fonts in pdf format, so you're going to be stuck zooming and panning around and such. If you convert it to mobi, and it works, you can scale it to your preference and it acts (as far as I can tell) like a regular kindle book.

Yagharek

What do you mean? Once you get it back you can transfer at will?

If you send it in for repair you can get them to transfer it to a replacement system if its required. I think you can also be credited with points if your system is stolen and you have the credit card number and console serial.

Its better than other systems where your content can't be stolen by ea sports xbl hacks, psn outages, origin theft etc. Its worse in that it takes longer.

Personally I have more reason to trust Nintendo customer service than any other by a fucking mile. It also helps that Wii is a well built system with a better failure rate.

Kritz

Banned
c6sndl.png

I have made MOAR ART. This time it is of everyone's favourite Teifling Wizard, Banana Arnie's "Milky".

I will finish and colour it either today or tomorrow.

Um, I might art the rest of the dnd guys at some point to if y'all want. I just have no idea what races / classes people were.

Although Jintor's a way better artist than me so maybe he'd prefer to draw his own. :D

I still have no fucking idea how clothing works.

Omikron

If you send it in for repair you can get them to transfer it to a replacement system if its required. I think you can also be credited with points if your system is stolen and you have the credit card number and console serial.

Its better than other systems where your content can't be stolen by ea sports xbl hacks, psn outages, origin theft etc. Its worse in that it takes longer.

Personally I have more reason to trust Nintendo customer service than any other by a fucking mile. It also helps that Wii is a well built system with a better failure rate.

To me, that is a failure. It is digitally distributed content and should be available to me on demand.

Fredescu

If you send it in for repair you can get them to transfer it to a replacement system if its required.
Yeah. So, hardware based DRM. I think you'll find that it's this way not because Nintendo care about your security, but because they're behind the times in terms of online technology. Making the Wii U open slather is admitting to this.

Content stolen? That's pretty rare. A perma Origin ban would be that, but XBL hacks and PSN outages are not. Perhaps you could have your personal details and space bucks stolen, but as Nintendo move towards an account based world, they're not going to be immune from that either.

On the subject of theft, whats happens to your VC games if your Wii gets stolen?

Personally I have more reason to trust Nintendo customer service than any other by a fucking mile.
Why is that?

Jintor

You're not really converting in that case, you're just viewing. It doesn't know how to scale fonts in pdf format, so you're going to be stuck zooming and panning around and such. If you convert it to mobi, and it works, you can scale it to your preference and it acts (as far as I can tell) like a regular kindle book.

Oh, good. I should really do all that tonight before my long-ass flight.

Although Jintor's a way better artist than me so maybe he'd prefer to draw his own. :D

It's going to be celphone pictures of my sketches since I won't be at home for the next week or so.

Agyar

RE: Kindles. They are great. I bought one of the new "normal" Kindles and I think it's definitely the pick if you just want to read books. Lighter and smaller than the Touch and Keyboard and only $134ish shipped from Amazon or $139 from Big W.

giri

RE: Kindles. They are great. I bought one of the new "normal" Kindles and I think it's definitely the pick if you just want to read books. Lighter and smaller than the Touch and Keyboard and only $134ish shipped from Amazon or $139 from Big W.

Is that the keyboard kindle?

i'm getting 2 x touch. one for dad for xmas. one for giri for xmas.

Agyar

Is that the keyboard kindle?

i'm getting 2 x touch. one for dad for xmas. one for giri for xmas.

Not the Keyboard or the Touch, just the "Kindle". Has no keyboard, page turning buttons down the side and a few small buttons for navigation underneath the screen. It's the front page model on Amazon.

I was planning to get a Touch but was swayed after trying out the page turning buttons on another Kindle. After using mine, touching the screen to turn pages seems awkward and unnecessary, not to mention that it's larger and heavier. The increased storage and battery life in the Touch seem pointless and both are more than adequate on the normal model.

Yagharek

Yeah. So, hardware based DRM. I think you'll find that it's this way not because Nintendo care about your security, but because they're behind the times in terms of online technology. Making the Wii U open slather is admitting to this.

Content stolen? That's pretty rare. A perma Origin ban would be that, but XBL hacks and PSN outages are not. Perhaps you could have your personal details and space bucks stolen, but as Nintendo move towards an account based world, they're not going to be immune from that either.

On the subject of theft, whats happens to your VC games if your Wii gets stolen?

Why is that?

I already addressed these issues. If its stolen, call them and get them to refund points via cc. Otherwise its an insurance issue I guess.

giri

Not the Keyboard or the Touch, just the "Kindle". Has no keyboard, page turning buttons down the side and a few small buttons for navigation underneath the screen. It's the front page model on Amazon.

I was planning to get a Touch but was swayed after trying out the page turning buttons on another Kindle. After using mine, touching the screen to turn pages seems awkward and unnecessary, not to mention that it's larger and heavier. The increased storage and battery life in the Touch seem pointless and both are more than adequate on the normal model.

Ahh. I need to get the touch for my dads. He'll be buying exclusively through the amazon store over the 3g, doubt he'll be the sort of buy it online, and transfer via wifi.

You can't get the Kindle Touch here can you? Besides using a third party shipping company.

AFAIK, you should be able to buy straight from the amazon website?

Agyar

Ahh. I need to get the touch for my dads. He'll be buying exclusively through the amazon store over the 3g, doubt he'll be the sort of buy it online, and transfer via wifi.

AFAIK, you should be able to buy straight from the amazon website?

Even with a wifi model anything you buy from Amazon is delivered automatically to your Kindle (just via wifi instead of 3G).

giri

Even with a wifi model anything you buy from Amazon is delivered automatically to your Kindle (just via wifi instead of 3G).

Yeah... i don't trust his ability to manage a wifi network. Or know how to use one away from home.

RetroAusGaf,

Does the SNES use just a standard coax tv cable thing or is it some special Nintendo cable?

I"ll ahve a look tonight.

Top Bottom