• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Gazunta

HI GAZ, I was bored.

I really liked the second panel so I did this.
Cvhru.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Cvhru.gif

ING8C.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ING8C.gif

edit: so i just realised the rules are different now (100x120, not 90x125 like they used to be) but you got the big version there to change if you want to.
Whoa dude, that's awesome :) Nice one!!
Damn good read. There's a lot more to the story, but it won't be told for a while yet.

Toki Tori and Tetris are $0.10 today on the Android store. Probably pick those up.

The Space Physics game isn't too bad either. It's kind of a rip off of Crayon Physics.

Ooooo nice, grabbed Space Physics. Not supporting EA with the Tetris subscription stuff (plus I don't think I can go back to OG Tetris anymore after all the great indie puzzle games of the last few years) and I have had Toki Tori in my Steam list for years now and never touched it. Any good? I can't access YouTube at work.

Edit: Actually what am I saying, it's 10c for f sake!

Found this to be an odd quote considering the high quality of their titles and range of games they make for the mobile platform.

The only company I've worked with that's still alive and kicking in Brisbane is Halfbrick. My friend is working on Fruit Ninja Kinect. Have what opinion of that you will. I'm just glad he still has a job.

Other than that it was a good read.

Reposting, sign up people!

ausgafsecretsanta.jpg

Greetings AusGAF. So as i mentioned a few weeks back i thought it might be a good idea to organize a Secret Santa for just AusGAF. (sorry it has taken so long)

I am thinking 2 pools of either $10 or $20 gifts, but we will see how we go. I have created a simple google doc for it so you are able to sign up your GAF username and nominate your desired price and a gift idea if you like.

If everyone interested could sign up before next Wednesday the 14th and i will draw up a pool and endevour to PM everyone your secret santa by the 15th. Once you have received a PM if you could send me back your address details so i can pass them on to your secret santa (any other suggestions for this) and then have everyone send their gifts off by the 21st of December.

Easiest/Simplest gift idea would probably be a steam game and i could re-gift for everyone to keep it secret for one idea.

Feel free to give suggestions etc.

Banner courtesy of Clipper

Is that Launcher on sale any good?

I'm new to Android and have no idea.

I think it will be made obsolete once ICS becomes out, but I've been using ADWLauncher (free) for ages and it has a lot of features ICS introduced. If you'll be on 2.x for a while, it's probably worth $0.10.

I've just talked myself into the purchase.

I think it will be made obsolete once ICS becomes out, but I've been using ADWLauncher (free) for ages and it has a lot of features ICS introduced. If you'll be on 2.x for a while, it's probably worth $0.10.

I've just talked myself into the purchase.

So how do I find out when I can update my Optus Samsung Galaxy S2 to ICS? No idea about firmware stuff.

if auran shutdown how the fuck is trainz still going ?
Pretty sure there is an Auran studio in Korea

For 10c I am going to give it a run, there are a few things I don't like about the Samsung one.

It seems to work ok, but I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Just have to work out how to get those weather/new/usage things over to it.

That was really interesting. If Hyper had a website I'd pimp out a story I wrote about Pandemic closing a couple of years ago. I write stories literally everyday now and that one is still one of the articles I'm most proud of.

It's just sad to see that this is almost completely ignored by the Government. They spend literally millions on sport and other arts (which I totally believe is vital, I don't think that should be cut) but this emerging industry is just left to fend for itself.

I'm assuming the author focused more on retail-tier studios than mobile.
Seemed strange since she helped out with the writing on Raskulls for XBLA with Halfbrick. Not to mention the fact that Fruit Ninja has sold a lot better than the rest of Halfbrick's portfolio.

Actually this comment seems a bit strange too considering she was working for KMM on the story for Happy Feet 2 if I remember correctly?
Then Krome shut down and KMM rose up in its ashes, but quietly, and with a reduced staff size. I don't blame them. By now there were more unemployed game developers in Brisbane than there were employed, but it must have been hard to be one of those who got picked to stay on. I was only watching from the outside, and it was breaking my heart.

It's just sad to see that this is almost completely ignored by the Government. They spend literally millions on sport and other arts (which I totally believe is vital, I don't think that should be cut) but this emerging industry is just left to fend for itself.
I would like to see us dump the Swimming budget and put it into the games industry. Would be much happier to see my tax dollars go there instead of to professional swimmers.

Jintor

Seemed strange since she helped out with the writing on Raskulls for XBLA with Halfbrick. Not to mention the fact that Fruit Ninja has sold a lot better than the rest of Halfbrick's portfolio.

Actually this comment seems a bit strange too considering she was working for KMM on the story for Happy Feet 2 if I remember correctly?

I really don't know, man. I'm going to ask some Canadians about this shit, they have a pretty thriving industry. Those massive tax credits can't hurt.

Guys, Vancouver is pretty awesome. Cold as fuck though.

giri

Wait, why should the government throw money at gaming? like, over any other computer based project?

Why should Gaming in particular be given that right? why not a security researcher who wants to come up with new levels of encryption and the like?

It's nice to bemoan this, and maybe not being part of the industry my self makes me a little insensitive to the issue, but i don't see why it's so super special.

Gaming studios the world over are struggling, and have been for years. Even some of the larger ones have started closing branch offices.

The only real way to make money as a studio owner is have one game make it big, then sell out to a big player. It's also the only way to guarantee you'll have enough money for the sequel.

I mean, i'm not against it, but it also sounds like the locals made a lot of bad decisions just mass hiring everyone who recently got fired. Not sure they're the sort of people we should be throwing tax payer money at.

Choc

Banned
Wait, why should the government throw money at gaming? like, over any other computer based project?

Why should Gaming in particular be given that right? why not a security researcher who wants to come up with new levels of encryption and the like?

It's nice to bemoan this, and maybe not being part of the industry my self makes me a little insensitive to the issue, but i don't see why it's so super special.

Gaming studios the world over are struggling, and have been for years. Even some of the larger ones have started closing branch offices.

The only real way to make money as a studio owner is have one game make it big, then sell out to a big player. It's also the only way to guarantee you'll have enough money for the sequel.

I mean, i'm not against it, but it also sounds like the locals made a lot of bad decisions just mass hiring everyone who recently got fired. Not sure they're the sort of people we should be throwing tax payer money at.

The main argument that gets thrown about Giri is that the film industry is heavily subsidised and is entertainment so why does gaming not the same?

The uk removed the tax break for gaming and not film and the industry was decimated. Its one reason Bizzare went

midonnay

that fella who did the "unlimited detail" youtube didn't seem to have trouble getting sweet sweet government moolah....

perhaps more magic/snake oil is needed in the pitch >_>

Fredescu

Along with Choc's argument, I think a decent argument is that gaming is almost 100% export based. There is a lot of other software development that takes place in the country with local clients, so those skills are still being practiced. The dollar is temporarily crazy and this is gutting non mining and farming based exports, of which gaming is one. Once the dollar comes back again, perhaps when the rest of the world recovers or China stops growing so quick or we run out of rocks, then all we've done is ship talent off overseas because overseas studios are the only ones getting any work.

Read some of Mario from Sidhe's posts (when search comes back maybe). He'll give you a good idea of how most studios survive, which is mostly by tenders to publishers, not through new IP.

giri

The main argument that gets thrown about Giri is that the film industry is heavily subsidised and is entertainment so why does gaming not the same?

The uk removed the tax break for gaming and not film and the industry was decimated. Its one reason Bizzare went

Right, but thats assuming that Gaming is an art from, and not a business. Again, i'm not against the grants, but i think i need to see a much better return and reasoning than "other wise it wont exist". Do we NEED it to exist here? I mean, i'd love for it too, but i'm not sure gaming as a whole, is one of those industries we NEED to keep.

It's just so entirely fickle, as are gamers, that it can be "launched game, wasn't hit, wasted 4M, oh well".

Along with Choc's argument, I think a decent argument is that gaming is almost 100% export based. There is a lot of other software development that takes place in the country with local clients, so those skills are still being practiced. The dollar is temporarily crazy and this is gutting non mining and farming based exports, of which gaming is one. Once the dollar comes back again, perhaps when the rest of the world recovers or China stops growing so quick or we run out of rocks, then all we've done is ship talent off overseas because overseas studios are the only ones getting any work.

Read some of Mario from Sidhe's posts (when search comes back maybe). He'll give you a good idea of how most studios survive, which is mostly by tenders to publishers, not through new IP.

So what if it's 100% export based? Quite often, a lot of devs are flown in from over seas to help prop up the Aussie industry and round out studios, nothing wrong with that in theory. But it would strongly suggest that there isn't enough talent here to really compete on our own and out right.

Whats the 10 - 20 year plan, where government grants eventually pay off, and we have a burgeoning industry, one that is self sufficient and creates jobs that pay taxes?

In theory, the Aussie film grants that are given out, are paid back when the thing becomes commercially viable. And hence, the industry is developed/ing and the grants worked.

But i'm not so sure that there is enough knowledge in the AU Gaming fraternity, to HAVE a 20 year plan where the business becomes fully self sufficient. A lot of those studios that have gone belly up, seemed to have made quite a few easily avoidable mistakes, and they weren't based on business decisions. Maybe they would have been doomed anyway, i don't know, but with out getting into it too heavily, some mistakes were avoidable.

We had a semi-mature local community of 4 decently sized dev's, and they all fell apart.

But i'm not sure we should be singling Gaming out there, i think that's a bit rich. They should be competing against all other IT companies for the grants. I personally only know of 2 or 3 IT companies that specialize in cryptology around AU, and that's something that definitely has permanent long term viability. I'd be just as interested in seeing government grants spent to keep the best and brightest of AU's math and comp sci nerds here, working on that stuff, rather than shipping off to america.

Jintor

Did anybody here play Prototype? I just need to know if the 'City Evolution' mechanic they seem to have been touting in previews for the original game actually made it into the game proper.

Choc

Banned
For once i feel sorry for gerry

Consumer watchdog slugs retailer more than $1 million for advertising 3D TV sets in areas with no programming coverage

because tv is the only way to see 3d, smh fucking seriously......

Choc

Banned
In theory, the Aussie film grants that are given out, are paid back when the thing becomes commercially viable. And hence, the industry is developed/ing and the grants worked.

But i'm not so sure that there is enough knowledge in the AU Gaming fraternity, to HAVE a 20 year plan where the business becomes fully self sufficient. A lot of those studios that have gone belly up, seemed to have made quite a few easily avoidable mistakes, and they weren't based on business decisions. Maybe they would have been doomed anyway, i don't know, but with out getting into it too heavily, some mistakes were avoidable.

We had a semi-mature local community of 4 decently sized dev's, and they all fell apart.

the film industry never pays its due in Australia. Red Dog made lots of money and the government probably won't get its grant back. Film Australia will say its reinvesting the money which yeah ok sure is good but its not going to the Government is it. Without Government intervention we would not have a film industry. Just like without government intervention we really don't have a games industry..... and so thats why the argument of film vs games is so big and game companies feel discriminated agaist.

Giri, the cryptology guys get tax breaks through the MASSIVE R&D tax breaks that you get for R&D. Game companies do not get this break as they are not R&D'ing, they are building entertainment. Team Bondi did not, i repeat, did not get R&D tax benefits for the building of their facial technology DESPITE it being R&D.....

The biggest decision the aussie studios made that was wrong was allowed themselves to be acquired by US publishers who decided they are to expensive when the dollar gets to high. Our employment minimum conditions make it very difficult to justify intternational investment here, and thats the unions fault

I am not saying our conditions are bad and they should not be like the way they are, they should but in comparison to other countries, we are very expensive place to do business. These studios propped up when the USD was 60c to the AUD. At parity it does not make sense unfortunately.

THE HIGH COURT HAS REJECTED APPLES LEAVE TO APPEAL. EAT SHIT APPLE.

midonnay

ahh no....

the advertisements were concerning 3d broadcasts of AFL and NRL grandfinals

most people don't even know about 3d bluray or games

so if they didn't make it clear that coverage didn't cater to a particular area its extremely misleading :/

also a big chunk of the fine was about...

The court also found that between October 2008 and July 2011, Harvey Norman advertised goods on its website and in catalogues which gave the impression they were available in all stores.

However, a fine print condition revealed that the offers were only being made by a single store in each state or territory -- while the website terms and conditions revealed that the offers were available in just one store in Australia.

giri

the film industry never pays its due in Australia. Red Dog made lots of money and the government probably won't get its grant back. Film Australia will say its reinvesting the money which yeah ok sure is good but its not going to the Government is it. Without Government intervention we would not have a film industry. Just like without government intervention we really don't have a games industry..... and so thats why the argument of film vs games is so big and game companies feel discriminated agaist.

Giri, the cryptology guys get tax breaks through the MASSIVE R&D tax breaks that you get for R&D. Game companies do not get this break as they are not R&D'ing, they are building entertainment. Team Bondi did not, i repeat, did not get R&D tax benefits for the building of their facial technology DESPITE it being R&D.....

The biggest decision the aussie studios made that was wrong was allowed themselves to be acquired by US publishers who decided they are to expensive when the dollar gets to high. Our employment minimum conditions make it very difficult to justify intternational investment here, and thats the unions fault

I am not saying our conditions are bad and they should not be like the way they are, they should but in comparison to other countries, we are very expensive place to do business. These studios propped up when the USD was 60c to the AUD. At parity it does not make sense unfortunately.

THE HIGH COURT HAS REJECTED APPLES LEAVE TO APPEAL. EAT SHIT APPLE.
2 things, 1)YAY, apple can go EABOD, that was the worst court decision in recent history and was disgusting.

2) Well, isn't that poor management? Like, why was that part of the company not split off, given it's own ABN, and subjected to the R&D available tax breaks and grants? Again, sounds like poor management? (I'm biased here, cryptology is actually one of the areas i'd love to get into if i ever left this job).

The film industry, would be an interesting study though, over all. One big international film here injects hundreds of millions into the economy. So the small time film industry leaves infrastructure around, and talent, that they can use. I'd like to see a study done including those figures, on whether or not it's made the AU film industry, break even.

Tax breaks are all well and good, but they have to be getting something back for it. At some point, it has to be able to stand up on it's own two feet, right? I'm just not sure i see that sort of ... leadership in gaming.

Maybe it's TOO young an industry, especially compared to film. But there seems to be a fair slice of aimlessness too.

Choc

Banned
The implication that we should reduce our conditions in order to make video games is pretty terrible :p

i didnt say that, i siad i fully support our conditions. In comparison i na globalised environment though it makse it very hard to justify

basically the costs to the US publishers to run a house here in australia have doubled in the past 4 years through no fault of their own.

the wages stay the same but the parity has occured so wages in actual fact have gone up. Add to that superannuation, long service leave etc and you have an issue.

im not saying dump it, im saying its a factor in US decisions

Choc

Banned
I agree Giri. One of the biggest problems australian developers have had is that hte guys @ the top, the CEOs are not 'CEOs' so to speak

They don't have the business nounce generally to come up with the R&D idea you just came upw ith in 5 seconds flat

Maybe they should hire experienced managers to run their business. Problem is they cost upwards of $350k plus a year.

Something a small dev can't afford.

I really don't know, man. I'm going to ask some Canadians about this shit, they have a pretty thriving industry. Those massive tax credits can't hurt.

Guys, Vancouver is pretty awesome. Cold as fuck though.
Canda certainly was a haven for games development this generation. Ubi have done quite well up there. I thought I heard that it was cooling off though?

Did anybody here play Prototype? I just need to know if the 'City Evolution' mechanic they seem to have been touting in previews for the original game actually made it into the game proper.
I loved the first game. No idea what the City Evolution you are talking about is though. As you progressed through the story missions the city becomes more and more over run with the disease and more and more monsters spawn everywhere. Plus the nests and the army bases.

Man I'm hungry looking forward to lunchtime OH GOD DAMN IT LEFT MY WALLET AT HOME ><
Feeling under the weather so the gf made me a fruit and cheese lunch box. Kiwi fruit is the bomb. Also Babybell cheese.

Jintor

I loved the first game. No idea what the City Evolution you are talking about is though. As you progressed through the story missions the city becomes more and more over run with the disease and more and more monsters spawn everywhere. Plus the nests and the army bases.

That's probably it. I was under the impression it used to be tied to some kind of game mechanic, but it sounds like it was dropped a few preview builds before launch.

I found lock-picking oddly carthartic in Skyrim.
lol
I usually love mini-games in stuff like Deus Ex or BioShock but the lock picking in Oblivion was tedious and annoying, ended up using the arrow spawn glitch to get me thousands of lock picks and just mashed X until it auto-picked a lock for me.

Top Bottom