• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Jintor

Seeing a 3D film in a crappy cinema with half-broken glasses would likely diminish the experience. I've been to cinemas with the wrong aspect ratio, or terrible sound or distorted speakers, or where the seats are uncomfortable or jerks are speaking the whole time or kicking the seats. All of these have been negative experiences, causing me to enjoy the film less than I otherwise might have.

Sure, but you don't judge the film by it. You judge the cinema, or the equipment, or the experience as a whole.

They're $1.00 at my office. ;)

Can I has job please?

Ahhh. Makes sense. Would I be right in saying that all Ubi do now is Tom Clancy crap, AssBro and Michel Ancel stuff? Oh, and PoP. Essentially milking all the dudebro franchises they have and occasionally releasing decent stuff.
Nah Ubi actually have a very good amount of variety to their portfolio. Not to mention all the Babyz shit that prints money for them. Was very tempted to pick up the bitchin' looking CE for Anno 2070 the other day.

Hmm, I don't have the Max Payne games, still worth playing through with #3 coming out next year? I'm sure I played a little bit of the first one but that's it.
Both games are fantastic. MP1 is a bit rough around the edges but MP2 is still a masterpiece. Still looks fantastic and the gameplay is perfect.
Don't bother trying to link Max Payne 3 to it though as it is going for a different vibe, after reading the previews it certainly sounds great but nothing like the first 2 games. Will buy at a low, low price even though it will most likely be a 4/5 game. Max deserved better.

Jintor

I'm saying that the technical faults you've spoken of there aren't related to the film in the same way that a game's technical faults are related to the game.

I suppose something like dodgy camerawork or shitty props would be something more in line with the comparison I'm thinking of here.

Omikron

I'm saying that the technical faults you've spoken of there aren't related to the film in the same way that a game's technical faults are related to the game.

I suppose something like dodgy camerawork or shitty props would be something more in line with the comparison I'm thinking of here.

Say someone has a bad experience with a game that crashes due to shitty hardware, you can bet they blame the developer for it when really it is the fault of whatever platform they have.

Same argument no?

Like a poor translation of Anime or a movie that had a shitty transfer to DVD like the Directors Cut of Blade Runner. It isn't the original creators fault, it was the post production people who fucked it up from being as polished as it should have been.

Jintor

Say someone has a bad experience with a game that crashes due to shitty hardware, you can bet they blame the developer for it when really it is the fault of whatever platform they have.

Same argument no?

Sure, but nobody who sees a film in a terrible cinema would blame the filmmaker.

Sure, but you don't judge the film by it. You judge the cinema, or the equipment, or the experience as a whole.
I judge the experience, which clouds my opinion of the film. I suppose you could cite ET's walkie talkies, every modern action film's shaky cam, or bad green screening as examples instead.

jambo

Post number 6900.

5VYeUm.jpg

Jintor

To kind of elaborate on the point I was pseudo-making but didn't really, I was just thinking that companies can use incredible games as trojan horses to push through bullshit that people will just bend over and take later. Online passes and DLC being cases in point.

jambo

To kind of elaborate on the point I was pseudo-making but didn't really, I was just thinking that companies can use incredible games as trojan horses to push through bullshit that people will just bend over and take later. Online passes and DLC being cases in point.

Well yeah, that's been happening for years.

Choc, I managed to get two of my mates to get TOR after talking it up so much. Best fun in a long time.

Get them into the guild Fap! Choc you roll on the swiftsure? send me (Emphereal) or fap a message so we can invite you as well.

Love the game so much so far.

Got my CE edition last night, statue is quite awesome and has joined my others on the shelf.
The digital stuff is pretty cool, especially the VIP cantina area from which i observe all the tiny peoples running around below me :D (but is rather lonely up there, haha)

Jintor

Film studios are doing it too. Trailers, product placement, derivative tripe, Tyler Perry, region coding, remakes of remakes, crippling DRM, Twilight, the list is endless.

Okay, nevermind then, my point is invalid, or at least applicable to other industries

Get them into the guild Fap! Choc you roll on the swiftsure? send me (Emphereal) or fap a message so we can invite you as well.

Love the game so much so far.

Got my CE edition last night, statue is quite awesome and has joined my others on the shelf.
The digital stuff is pretty cool, especially the VIP cantina area from which i observe all the tiny peoples running around below me :D (but is rather lonely up there, haha)

My guys name is Guillaume on swiftsure. In a guild with some rl friends so wont join you guys, but I will friend you see if we can't get some AusGAF flashpoint runs going. I'm a healy type operative level 25 at the moment so hopefully that's somewhat near you guys.

Yagharek

I keep forgetting that it's Ubisoft. For some reason, in my mind there's a disconnect between the Ubisoft that does the Tom Clancy/AssCreed stuff and the BG&E/Rayman stuff. Former having the worst DRM imaginable and the latter being nice and fluffy and fun and not at all draconian in it's PC-portability. It's weird.

Michel Ancel.

Ahhh. Makes sense. Would I be right in saying that all Ubi do now is Tom Clancy crap, AssBro and Michel Ancel stuff? Oh, and PoP. Essentially milking all the dudebro franchises they have and occasionally releasing decent stuff.

Ubisoft are a very strange company. On occasion where they have the right personality working on a game, they are amazing. Ancel is one case, and more recently Julian Gollop turned a portable Tom Clancy game of all things into something essential.

I think the safest thing to do is avoid their AAA hyped product and you'll be safe. If they sell too well though they end up becoming AAA and get ruined, a la Prince of Persia.

My guys name is Guillaume on swiftsure. In a guild with some rl friends so wont join you guys, but I will friend you see if we can't get some AusGAF flashpoint runs going. I'm a healy type operative level 25 at the moment so hopefully that's somewhat near you guys.

Awesome man will do, i am only 21 but playing when i can. Sounds good, would be awesome to play with you guys (does not matter if not same guild but would be good to build a community in game, also we can ally guilds, somehow)

gotta say, the ones where people getting hurt by their own stupidity made me laugh.

innocent bystanders hurt made me want to curl up in a ball.

Jintor

Do you have friends to play with? It's amazing either way, but chaotic amazing or controlled amazing is a different matter.

Shaneus

Holy - no Steam games I want today. Keep holding onto that 5 bucks!
You already have JC2? Good man.

Sounds about right, Vince. Occasionally Ubi are good, but tend to let popularity of a false sense of ego cloud their judgement (PC DRM, the popularity of a given franchise etc.).

Yagharek

The GOTY voting thread meltdown was quite amusing. Some clown sending people PMs if they didnt vote for Portal 2 or Uncharted 3 in their list. Something about "true genius not being recognised in its own time".

Tempted to gift someone Fable 3 as a coal-in-the-sack type Christmas present.

You used to!

We used to work togethers?!?
tumblr_lb8jtwbvp41qcjc7lo1_400.gif

If they sell too well though they end up becoming AAA and get ruined, a la Prince of Persia.
Prince of Persia 2008 was a fantastic exercise in game making. Took the removal of death a step further and made a very entertaining mechanic out of it as well as some incredibly beautiful artwork and level design, at least on PC. They fucked it up by selling the ending as DLC and having Nolan North do his Drake voice rather than the range he is capable of.

Rezbit

What? Is this with or without the "changed" classifications?

Also is Just Cause 2 worth 5 bucks? Definitely getting the Unreal Pack for a 5er, despite UT3 sucking hard. Thought about getting Max Payne, but I just don't know if I'd play it. Need to think about getting Half-Life 2 and the episodes, assuming they will get cheaper as the sale goes on. Oh shit, games.

Top Bottom