• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

Not specifically AusGAF related, but I'm a fan of Feep and what he's done with Sequence, both as a game and as the giveaway on GAF. It appears that it's doing rather well as a daily deal in Steam today.

The journey of his game just reminds me of Louis C.K's entrance into digital distribution with the so-cheap-people-have-to-buy-it thing. Giving it away for free was an unintentional stroke of genius in that it created a lot of word of mouth (with most, I'd wager, donating right to him as a thank-you) and it looks like he's hit the jackpot today too. Keep in mind, the post I linked to was made about an hour-and-a-half from when the sale started. If he's blown away... good on him!

Alright. My parents use a 12 year old version of MYOB for all their business stuff. On Win7 64 the program refuses to open because of the change from 32 to 64 bit. How do I get around this? Tried running in Win95 mode but no dice. Installing updates now so I can hopefully get something called WinXP virtual machine running?

Thanks Fred. You're a lovely guy :)
I totally am.
It's the modesty that really sets off your lovliness.

I scored this (by request) for Christmas, on the mention of some pop-culture superfreak I follow on Twitter. Dubbed and subbed versions of every movie, most even have two discs to allow for a high-bitrate encode plus extras.

Doesn't quite have all the movies I want, but they tend to be less well-regarded than the big ones in that pack. For instance, Twin Dragons (with that scene in the car testing factory... so awesome) and Winners and Sinners (that really isn't a JC movie, more a Sammo Hung movie).
Taking a look at the titles in that boxed set I'm going to assume that they are all from Hong Kong Legends or Cine Asia, as they're now known. They, get a lot of respect from me for taking the time to remaster a lot of those films that have been treated poorly by the companies that owned them but neglected them. Including the original Canto/Mandarin voice tracks plus English plus sometimes 5.1 or DTS sountracks plus commentary plus extras was absolutely awesome of them.

As always, something as good as that was never really supported by the public, who only knew Jackie and Sammo from crap Rush Hour and Martial Law and wouldn't watch a movie with them unless it costarred Chris Tucker or the crap Wilson borther. They did end up releasing most of the non secured Chan movies (distribution for ones like Twin Dragons, Who Am I, Supercop, et al are secured by other companies, currently) along with other watermark movies like Mr. Vampire, Zu Warriors, Dragon Gate Inn. I'm glad I have most of them, and continue to pick up the odd on that I don't have when I see them. JB had a sale a while back where a lot of the movies were about $6. Actually, looking at their site, they still do

Lastly, thank you. Really, really thank you. You are awesome. Not as awesome as Fred, but you only get that level of awesomness from the self-awareness of your own inherent awesominity.

We will have to organise a time to play some co-op, yes?

Omikron

Alright. My parents use a 12 year old version of MYOB for all their business stuff. On Win7 64 the program refuses to open because of the change from 32 to 64 bit. How do I get around this? Tried running in Win95 mode but no dice. Installing updates now so I can hopefully get something called WinXP virtual machine running?

You can get an XP vm off Microsofts website somewhere, bit annoying to have to boot that, but might be your only solution.

Before it crashes, is there anything in the event log?

You can get an XP vm off Microsofts website somewhere, bit annoying to have to boot that, but might be your only solution.

Before it crashes, is there anything in the event log?

The version of this file is not compatible with the new version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program and then contact the software publisher

okay.jpg

Installing XP mode now so hopefully it can just run inside it.

Omikron

Heh, useful, was hoping that MYOB might have chucked something in there you could check out, something like a system path had changed etc. Oh well.

Also, just crafted Pound of Ground in the steam sale. What.

And, need someone to idle in DOW2. :p

Salazar

THE most wanted man in NSW, Malcolm Naden, is probably surviving on raw kangaroo or wombat and won't be captured any time soon, says the mayor of the region where he is believed to be hiding.

Locals are fast gaining a grudging admiration for Naden and his ability to use the rugged northern tablelands to evade capture, Walcha's mayor, Bill Heazlett, says.

Naden, a former abattoir worker, has a $250,000 bounty on his head for the alleged murder of his two cousins and the rape of a 15-year-old girl. Despite a large manhunt involving camouflaged police, high-tech heat-seeking devices, aerial patrols and mobile command posts, he continues to evade capture.

Murder and rape ? Grudging admiration ? Yeah, nah.

Heh, useful, was hoping that MYOB might have chucked something in there you could check out, something like a system path had changed etc. Oh well.

Also, just crafted Pound of Ground in the steam sale. What.

And, need someone to idle in DOW2. :p

wOOT. Works perfect in XP Mode. Just had to rename and change the icon pictures for a few things so it doesn't confuse the parentals.

I am available to idle in Retribution but I don't actually own the game ;)

Nice to see Feep doing so well too, bit concerning that Valve never told him Sequence would be a daily deal though.

New glasses arrived again today. Much better, much clearer!

Also why the fuck did Clarke take Hilf off? He was on fire! Back on again and a wicket straight up.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I've not been following too closely, but are we bagging salazar because he's cheering on india and recepricating the negative shit you're throwing at him for not supporting australia, or is he attacking the australian team at every oppurtunity?

Because if it's the first option, being an essendon supporter who was born in and grew up in adelaide, fuck you all.

If it's the second option, salazar don't be a dick.

hamchan

I've not been following too closely, but are we bagging salazar because he's cheering on india and recepricating the negative shit you're throwing at him for not supporting australia, or is he attacking the australian team at every oppurtunity?

Because if it's the first option, being an essendon supporter who was born in and grew up in adelaide, fuck you all.

If it's the second option, salazar don't be a dick.

It's just people having fun I think, nothing too serious. Though Salazar does like to remind us all how he hates Australia and only watches to see them lose.

Anyways, what a nice bowling session this has been for Australia :D

Salazar

And the BCCI amirite

Considering an avatar change.

vAIg7.gif

Shaneus

Taking a look at the titles in that boxed set I'm going to assume that they are all from Hong Kong Legends or Cine Asia, as they're now known. They, get a lot of respect from me for taking the time to remaster a lot of those films that have been treated poorly by the companies that owned them but neglected them. Including the original Canto/Mandarin voice tracks plus English plus sometimes 5.1 or DTS sountracks plus commentary plus extras was absolutely awesome of them.

As always, something as good as that was never really supported by the public, who only knew Jackie and Sammo from crap Rush Hour and Martial Law and wouldn't watch a movie with them unless it costarred Chris Tucker or the crap Wilson borther. They did end up releasing most of the non secured Chan movies (distribution for ones like Twin Dragons, Who Am I, Supercop, et al are secured by other companies, currently) along with other watermark movies like Mr. Vampire, Zu Warriors, Dragon Gate Inn. I'm glad I have most of them, and continue to pick up the odd on that I don't have when I see them. JB had a sale a while back where a lot of the movies were about $6. Actually, looking at their site, they still do

Lastly, thank you. Really, really thank you. You are awesome. Not as awesome as Fred, but you only get that level of awesomness from the self-awareness of your own inherent awesominity.

We will have to organise a time to play some co-op, yes?
Random thoughts that I can't be arsed connecting together in a cohesive manner to form a paragraph:
Oh shit, they have Robin B Hood! Even if it's shit, it's a newish JC movie in Canto.
Dragons Forever I've vaguely heard of, but it has JC, Hung AND Yuen Biao? Fucking SOLD.
Did you ever see Thunder... something? Something Thunder? It was a movie where JC played a race car driver. I'd never heard of it before I saw it years and years ago on a pirated VCD at a swap meet in Geelong. Corny as hell but I loved it. Fucking hard to find *anywhere* though. Kick-arse scene in a pachinko parlour I remember quite well.

Don't thank me. I know I'm awesome, it comes with the territory. Wait, I'm meant to be arrogant, right? And yeah, we should tee up a co-op game sometime. I haven't played SP at all, but I'll give it a crack sometime soon then we'll hook something up :) And yeah, you're more than welcome!

Have a present!

Just had a look, and yeah, they're Hong Kong Legends releases. The box set is by Star Ltd. but they credit HKL. Kudos for releasing a set that has far more than really needed, with superbit releases and bonus discs that they're not obligated to include. BTW If you're looking, I went through a lot of turmoil and heartbreak to track down a 9gb ISO of Winners and Sinners that has full Canto dub if you're interested. It's on the shady side of being legal to discuss that (I guess) but as it's literally impossible to find a good copy of it, it should be okay.

Rezbit

Went out to get some fish and chips for lunch. I'm coping.

Now I feel like fish and chips for lunch! From Flippers too, but I'd have to drive in to town. Hnnng so hungry.

How curious that the cricket show under Slats is even worse than the one under Simon O'Donnell. Maybe I will get that fish and chips.

Three of the best batsmen in the world held up that innings for India. Sucks for them to bat so well and the rest of the team letting them down, even in the face of some fantastic fast bowling.

And well done Hilf. He's back!
Moronic to take him off in the first place. With the ball moving around so much Clarke should have focused on the quicks.

I've not been following too closely, but are we bagging salazar because he's cheering on india and recepricating the negative shit you're throwing at him for not supporting australia, or is he attacking the australian team at every opportunity?
Mainly because he supports the Indian team. I only noticed one comment towards Sal today to be honest, in the form of an entertaining meme.

I mainly bag the obnoxious retards like Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Warne, Clarke.
What is wrong with Langer? Hard to find Hayden obnoxious when he is penning awesome cook books and pimping himself out for QLD tourism.

Grug

Yeah I thought Slats was as bad as commentary could get...

... then I heard Andrew Symonds commentating in the Big Bash. Dear lord...

Omikron

Now I feel like fish and chips for lunch! From Flippers too, but I'd have to drive in to town. Hnnng so hungry.

How curious that the cricket show under Slats is even worse than the one under Simon O'Donnell. Maybe I will get that fish and chips.

Yeah, but with infinitely less drool.

Just a pissant rent-a-quote and a brown-noser.

And he's thick. Witness the quote - "If Ricky was scoring runs, I don't think we'd be having this conversation".

His (adoptive) old man was a great French teacher. Symmo shouldn't be as dumb as he is.

Fantastic cricketer though. Did a fantastic job opening with Haydos.

Also maybe Symonds can speak French better than English, ;)

Rezbit

I thought that's just how people from Queensland spoke. Hayden does the same thing.

"Just goin' down to the pewl after skewl you fewl. I love Oshstraya."

Deeku

I never got anything significant at christmas. Maybe a game if I was lucky. Most of the big stuff, like a new console or something, was reserved for "doing well at school" rewards lol. Kids getting iphones and cars for christmas is crazy though.

Edit:

I had a Gray-Nicolls Dyna-Drive. :D

Was wasted on me though. Handy bowler (medium pace and leg-spin) but useless with the willow.
:eek: I really wanted one of those! But yeah, would have been wasted on me as well. I was a bowler (fast) and batted 6. I did score one 50 in my 8 years of cricketing at school though.

Choc

Banned
Grug was it symonds on the Big Bash last night giving shit to Mark waugh? if so completely agree

best thing i got was a snes.

Jintor

I have a poor memory for presents, but my most vivid memory is a Game Boy Colour (Aussie version) and Pokemon Gold when I was, I don't know, 10 or 11 or something.

These days I get money and movie vouchers, which is cool.

Grug

Grug was it symonds on the Big Bash last night giving shit to Mark waugh? if so completely agree

Yeah that's him. Brutally bad. Even worse the other night when he was talking to Hayden (who was playing) about catching mudcrabs. I found it cringeworthy and I'm a Queenslander.

best thing i got was a snes.

Shit yes. Me too. Christmas of '92 I got a SNES with Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2. I don't think I have ever been so happy in my life.

Choc

Banned
BARGAINS in the Boxing Day sales are not always what they seem with discounted products selling for as much as $220 more than the same item across town.

A Public Defender post-Christmas investigation at Chadstone, Highpoint and Southland shopping centres has found bargain hunters can pay dearly if they fail to shop around.

The price of a big-screen Sony LCD television yielded the biggest difference.
It cost just $578 at Harvey Norman Chadstone while Big W offered it at the retail price of $798.
Harvey Norman Maribyrnong was $20 dearer than its counterpart on the other side of the city.

Savingsguide.com.au founder Alex Wilson said shoppers could find themselves paying too much if they failed to check whether a deal was the bargain it claimed to be. Online comparison sites could help cut the groundwork. "It's a few minutes of your time to organise yourself to potentially save hundreds of dollars," Mr Wilson said.

uh
no shit?

Deeku

I have a poor memory for presents, but my most vivid memory is a Game Boy Colour (Aussie version) and Pokemon Gold when I was, I don't know, 10 or 11 or something.

These days I get money and movie vouchers, which is cool.
At least you still get presents! My parents do the thing where they'll buy me something randomly in October and say "this is a christmas present" :/

Top Bottom