• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

India in massive trouble. Only Sachin can save them.

Will be the only one left soon!
9658M.gif

Lol. Kohli can't tell the difference between hitting his pad and the ball. Would have wasted a DRS call.

hamchan

I've enjoyed these past 4 days of cricket. Also because I haven't bothered to get into arguments or post in the cricket thread (which is a pretty mean thread). Great match so far.

Omg another wicket. India is really in trouble now.

Shaneus

Anyone here on iOS Gamecentre? Add me, I'm bored. Shaneus2k2. Ta.

Make sure you mention who you are, though.

Edit: lololol at disco pussies.

Choc

Banned
everyone seems to be forgetting the world is on the brink of a major recession thanks to the twats that run europe

people aren't buying luxury shit at the moment because they are worried its all going to shit. Which it is.

What the fuck. The dungeon defenders gift takes days to do?

Come on Valve!

Just noticed that too. wtf. I feel silly now.

Although I FINALLY got something I wanted this sale. Traded 8 coal and some coupons for Renegade Ops and the DLC from a very nice (and bountiful) GAFfer.

EDIT: You fantastic Victorian you!

Would have ended up a very different game with DRS. As it was it has been a great display of bowling from both teams with the odd period where the batsmen have gotten on top of the bounce and movement enough to make some decent totals.

Yagharek

Would have ended up a very different game with DRS. As it was it has been a great display of bowling from both teams with the odd period where the batsmen have gotten on top of the bounce and movement enough to make some decent totals.

DRS would have seen Cowan and Hussey survive in the first innings. It would have been trivial regarding Dravid since he only got about 6 more runs. It would have cut Hussey's second innings short and given India a psychologically important edge in a smaller run chase, maybe only ~220.

I think the lack of UDRS handed India a slight advantage over the current outcome.

Yagharek

Tripe, Vince. Utter garbage.

How? If UDRS was in play this is what would have happened:

Hussey would have gotten more than 0 in the 1st.
Cowan would have gotten more than 68.

In India's innings, Dravid would have only got 6 fewer runs if the appeal held.
In Australia's second innings, Hussey would have been gone something like 40 runs earlier.

That's nothing but a big advantage to India in the context of the game.

Still, nice to know you can post about this match without a gif for once.

I.. I think... I think I am going to pre-order the Max Payne 3 CE. I know I will spend my time crying myself through the game and hating myself for supporting it but I can't help myself. I am weak. Even the statue looks fucking horrible but I WANT it.

Yagharek

It's just how the application of the rule turned out. India weren't set up to benefit from it.

That's what I said. In the context of the match, India would have been worse off than if (all things being equal) there was an UDRS in place.

You're just grumpy.

Grug

I wouldn't expect rationality from someone who spends remarkable effort in barracking against a particular team. Got to be slightly twisted and hate-filled.

Salazar

I wouldn't expect rational thought from someone who spends remarkable effort in barracking against a particular team. Got to be slightly twisted and hate-filled.

Eh, just suggesting that Vince moderate his vocabulary so as not to suggest that there was intrinsic benefit to the Indians in the suspension of DRS. He finds the decision so villainous that he can't really help himself.

Choc

Banned
I.. I think... I think I am going to pre-order the Max Payne 3 CE. I know I will spend my time crying myself through the game and hating myself for supporting it but I can't help myself. I am weak. Even the statue looks fucking horrible but I WANT it.

In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is an apparently paradoxical psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness.

Yagharek

I think the lack of UDRS handed India a slight advantage over the current outcome.

Eh, just suggesting that Vince moderate his vocabulary so as not to suggest that there was intrinsic benefit to the Indians in the suspension of DRS. He finds the decision so villainous that he can't really help himself.

If you think that implies intrinsic benefit, I suggest you should moderate your comprehension.

Or alternatively, cheer up.

ShE3T.jpg

Grug

I don't think he suggested it was intrinsic. In fact the way he qualified it with "in the context of the game" would make that quite clear.

Choc

Banned
This test means we will be stuck with hussey and ponting for another 6 months

they always pull it out when under pressure, but then play shit for ages.

Yagharek

I don't think he suggested it was intrinsic. In fact the way he qualified it with "in the context of the game" would make that quite clear.

Thank you. I was replying to reptilescorpio's hypothetical discussion, so it was completely in context of the game.

I'll add that I'm in favour of no UDRS at all in tests. But I am also equally in favour of consistency, and that needs to come from the ICC.

Grug

Although I'd argue that with the way India appeal for every ball that hits the pad or goes through to the keeper, they are intrinsically advantaged by no UDRS, as they are more likely to get more cheapies go their way, ala Hussey and Cowan.

Salazar

He qualified after I bailed him up. Talking about a "big advantage" from the fair (well, fairly inept) application to both sides of a rule is pissy, accusatory garbage.

Shameful batting from India, on the whole. No need to rush it.

Yagharek

I didnt need to qualify - it was a hypothetical discussion from the get-go.

Stop being obtuse.

edit: Ive bolded the important words:

DRS would have seen Cowan and Hussey survive in the first innings. It would have been trivial regarding Dravid since he only got about 6 more runs. It would have cut Hussey's second innings short and given India a psychologically important edge in a smaller run chase, maybe only ~220.

XEFEP.jpg

Muglh.gif

mt0WZ.gif

Most important match of the year for me. Love Boxing Day test, even more than holding the Ashes which seems like sacrilege. Good memories watching this game.

Ignoring the DRS takes away the ability to play the game on fact, if the batsman is out he should be out, and makes it a game that can be shaped by human error. 90% of decisions by umpires are correct. DRS can make up another 9% while 1% are so hard to define that even the current processes cannot give us the fact.
It is less an intrinsic benefit and more a psychological benefit in that the opposition will take bad decisions to heart harder as they know it would have been overturned under DRS.

In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is an apparently paradoxical psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness.
I WANT THAT MAX PAYNE IP IN REMEDY HANDS! Alan Wake may have been a huge mess in my opinion but they still have the potential to make great games, even AL2 looks interesting enough to bring me back on their side (not to buy it lol). I just love the IP and want more James McCaffrey and more Max, even if it could turn out to be not what I want. Plus Rockstar make some good games. They have improved since GTA4.

This test means we will be stuck with hussey and ponting for another 6 months
As long as they fire when needed I am happy. Hussey could have had a ton in the first innings for all we know. They have at least earned a stay of execution into the next series.

Shameful batting from India, on the whole. No need to rush it.
As soon as the top order fell and the Master was on his way the rest had no interest in trying to ground out a victory over the next 2 days. Which is a huge shame.

Cricket used to be a game where if you were out, you walked, regardless of the decision.

It also used to be a game where cricketers would spend most of their time during the week at work.
The game changes. We can't just sit back and say, "Don't ruin the sanctity of the game" while more and more people look at it and ask why we don't do things better? Why settle for less? Batsmen don't need to walk because everyone now knows that he is out. In the past we didn't have cameras to watch the ground and no-one could know if the umpire was wrong aside from the batsmen himself. Now thousands of people know and will hold that decision to ridicule. Doesn't the umpire deserve some protection?

It does sadden me a bit but Cricket hasn't been the gentleman's sport for quite a while. Money and profit controls.

We only need DRS because batsmen aren't walking when they know they're out.
That is one half, the other half is when they are given out when it is blatantly obvious they are not like Hussey in the first innings.

Batman's a scientist!
He is also the World's Greatest Detective so he would DEFINITELY know if he was out and he would walk. Batman always wins in the end but never at the cost of his humanity.

Zavvi sale! As always they take around 2 days to arrive.

Wii
Rayman Origins for $24!!! Listen to Vook for once!
Epic Mickey for $17!!! Fuck the haters!
Red Steel 2 for $17!!! The original Fruit Ninja in Wild Wild style!
No More Heroes 2 for $20!!! Waggle that turlet paper for kitty!

PS3
EDF Insect Armageddon for $21!!! Train for the Kritz approved apocalypse! Ugh, $16 at LOGS.
Dark Souls for $32!!! The big budget Hollywood remake of Demons Souls!
Rayman Origins for $32!!! Do you want BG&E2 or not!
Tintin for $24!!! Play as Serrels in his brush with Senor Spielbergo!
Sonic Generations for $32!!! It really is good, so was Colours damnit! Ugh, was $28 at LOGS but out of stock so maybe wait.
Mortal Kombat for $24!!! Shred your friends in ways the Gubermant don't want you to (please don't report me)!
HouseOTD Moverkill for $21!!! Move the brains to the beat of fuck shit fuck!
Driver San Fran for $24!!! Learn how to drive safely for you trip Clive!
God of War 3 for $21!!! Make that 50 inch Plasma shine!
Yakuza 4 for $21!!! This time with respect to foreign gamers!
El Shaddai for $21!!! Mangod provides a classic against the grain!
Motorstorm Apocalypse for $20!!! Disco end of the world driving!
Resonance of Fate for $20!!! John Woo style jRPG that is hella fun!
Deus Ex 3 for $17!!! GOTY that shows respect to the classics while still exhibiting all that is great with the current industry

PSP
Valkyrie Chronicles 2 for $18!!! The greatness of PS3 on the PSP! Ugh, cheaper at LOGS for $16

Tropico 4 SE for $32!! It could be good on 360 too.
Rayman Origins for $32! Yes. It is on 360 as well as PS3 and Wii.
Sonic Generations for $32. Also, on 360/PS3. No Wii version though. PC version is great though. Ugh, $29 at LOGS.
Dark Souls for $32. Yep.
Puss In Boots for $32. Kinect enabled. Maybe 3D, I don't know.
Space Marine for $24. Actually, GAME.co.uk had it cheaper. Buy from there instead.
Driver San Fran for $24. People liked it and were surprised it was good and innovated.
Mortal Kombat for $24. No idea on the DLC situation vis a vis region locking.
Ace Combat Assaults Horizons for $24. Fly and shoot.
EDF Insect Armaggedon for $22. Shoot shoot.
El Shaddai for $22. Pretty action action.
Resononance of Fate for $20. Shoot arr pee gee gee jay.
Modern Warfare 2 for $17. Fuck the favelas in Rio.
Call of Juarez The Cartel for $17. Looks so bad.
Deus Ex 3 for $17. Still great.
SC Conviction for $17. Worth a rental.
Alpha Protocol for $17. One of the gems of the generation, buy it arseholes.
Bulletstorm for $17. Much better than expected, the marketing people should be kicked into a cactus.
Stoked GOTY Edition for $14. Still in shrinkwrap. Probably won't be as good as Amped 3.

Top Bottom