• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Clipper

Dungeons And Dragons Stuff
Will probably hold next game on Monday 9 January from about 7pm - 10pm.
I have worked out a two night campaign which should be fun. I'm not going to reveal what it's about until the actual night.

Also to the other potential players, contact me beforehand with shopping lists and stuff as well as to get your beta code to access the new app we'll be using for the maps.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
As i posted over in the build me a PC thread in gaming.

The Crucial M4s seem to be failing at around the 5200 hour mark, So keep an eye on yours if you have one. Mine has 600 hours to go D:

Rezbit

Honestly I'm kinda glad I held off on SSD. Once when I took my PC around to a mates place he saw my boot times and said "Damn that's fast, I need to set up my SSD properly." I said "Dude I don't have a SSD." And then he sad-faced.

Rahk

As i posted over in the build me a PC thread in gaming.

The Crucial M4s seem to be failing at around the 5200 hour mark, So keep an eye on yours if you have one. Mine has 600 hours to go D:
Has this just happened on the 64GB models or all of them?

Rlan

408116_10150503592909757_725249756_8468202_1144051787_n.jpg

Crystal Castles were good!

Jintor

There's not very much more crushing than getting a BAD END on a virtual novel

that's right, you've failed so much at relationships you can't even navigate this simple choice-based maze

Rezbit

Hey it's Rlan!

Also, no offence because I know some of you are participating in this; but damn, real pictures have not stopped people posting inane shit on GAF.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fappen. GMG have space marine for $12.50 today only. That ain't too bad.

How much was it on the steam sale? $20 i think?

I doubt i will still buy it though :D. Might hold off until i clear out more of my backlog.

Fappen. GMG have space marine for $12.50 today only. That ain't too bad.

How much was it on the steam sale? $20 i think?

I doubt i will still buy it though :D. Might hold off until i clear out more of my backlog.

Tempting, but I've got it on 360 now. Thanks for the heads up!

Choc

Banned
yay

the tea party got smacked in the US primary yesterday

take that you fucking backwards shitheads.

Bachmann has pulled out. VICTORY

US isnt so fucking stupid after all.

Humid Queensland no like blu-tacked posters.

Go to KMart/Target and find the frames there. Actual framing stores are a ridiculous con.

yay

the tea party got smacked in the US primary yesterday

take that you fucking backwards shitheads.

Bachmann has pulled out. VICTORY

US isnt so fucking stupid after all.

But then Santorum went ganbusters. That shit's not cool. Although ABC24 was saying this morning he pretty much put all his eggs in the Iowa barrel and hasn't spent much time anywhere else.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone know if i donate to speeddemomarathon over paypal, Can i get that back on tax since it's a donation? haha

I'm just curious how the donation tax rule works.

Oh lol. EB Games is selling copies of Star Wars: The Old Republic today in stores.

Retailers just don't give a fuck anymore!

What is peoples opinions on this? Should I get on this? Loved me some KOTOR (even 2!!) but the 20 minutes I played WOW were among the most boring I've ever played in my life.

Yesterday I went to my girlfriend's house to move her room around to fit a wardrobe in her dad/stepmum got her. We went outside to feed her rabbit and she was feeling thin when we patted her and barely ate her food, if anything. We thought it was because of her cage being full and we pick her up and there is fucking HEAPS of dried shit on her ass so we take her out the front to clean her off and notice there a massive hole in her ass with maggots crawling around in there.

At this point I start calling vets around the area and none of them have an opening until 4:00-4:30. One says if we take her now for a checkup and they gauge it really bad they'll take her in straight away. We go, nurse takes her and they gauge it's bad but not bad enough that other appointments shouldn't go ahead of her. It was apparently the latter to them.

After like 30 minutes the vet sees her, looks at her and tells us they CAN operate to get all the shit out, fix up the edges of the wound to be clean and then dress her, but hey hey! It'll cost upwards of $500. So they recommend us to go to the Lort Smith animal hospital. We go, get checked in and wait. For at least an hour. Now my girlfriend lives in Epping/Lalor and this is in North Melbourne (which is the other side of town, for you non-Melbourne folk) so it took 30-40 to drive there through the city at 5pm and we initially discovered the problem at 3:30pm. And maggots have been eating her flesh all this time.

Finally see another vet (6pm) and she basically says we gotta put her down, can't do anything more. So we say our goodbyes and she takes her into a back room and I pay and we're out.

All in all a pretty shit day. We did end up moving her room around to keep busy, looks good.

edit: it's called a Flystrike. Look it up and be disgusted

Clipper

Does anyone know if i donate to speeddemomarathon over paypal, Can i get that back on tax since it's a donation? haha

I'm just curious how the donation tax rule works.
From the E-tax 2011 help pages:

Complete this item if you made any of the following:

■ voluntary gifts of $2 or more made to an approved organisation
■ a net contribution of more than $150 to an approved organisation for a fund-raising event
■ contributions of $2 or more to
– a registered political party
– an independent candidate in an election for parliament
– an individual who was an independent member of parliament or in limited circumstances was an independent member.

You can also claim a deduction for:

■ a donation to an approved organisation of shares listed on an approved stock exchange valued at $5,000 or less
■ making an approved cultural bequest
■ a donation to a private ancillary fund
■ entering into a conservation covenant.

An approved organisation is an organisation that is listed in the tax law, or has been endorsed by the ATO as a deductible gift recipient, such as:

■ certain funds, organisations or charities which provide help in Australia
■ some overseas aid funds
■ school building funds
■ some environmental or cultural organisations.

So that would be a no, unless speeddemomarathon have been endorsed by the ATO, which I doubt. Perhaps if they provide proof that your donation is going to the appropriate charity in the receipt, then you could use it, but I doubt they'd have set that up through Paypal.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I figured as much. The money does go to the prevent cancer foundation but yea, Who knows how it actually works on speeds end.

Also the guy is currently doing yoshi's island and it's amazing.

Choc

Banned
Oh lol. EB Games is selling copies of Star Wars: The Old Republic today in stores.

Retailers just don't give a fuck anymore!

EA got this rated late 2011 so its legal

so EB are using EA's paid for classification rating to sell it here

if it wasnt rated yet they wouldn't be allowed to sell it

EA will be rather pissed off. Plus the fact that there is no local customer service, wait queues are 2-3 hours on the phone to the US right now (and thats obviously expensive) and everything is charged in USD on the site etc etc

Basically EB is creating EA a headache. EB isn't going to do the custoemr service etc. When a customer imports a game, its their risk. When a customer buys locally they are protected by consumer protection legislation so if things go pear shaped (aka a massive bill for a 3 hour call to the US) then EA could be held liable under fair trading as its their product.

This is not a simple, import and sell. This is a game that requires significant infrastructure to run including CS teams, servers etc. This is why they didn't do a worldwide release. Those who have started to play (myself included) realise there is a risk in that we will get bad pings, we will have a bad time with customer service and won't be able to call for at least a few months without getting charged $1000's, but we choose to do that.

Unwitting customer walking into EB does not know this. I believe there is a thing on the back of the SWTOR box that says it must not be sold outside the USA. When you are buying from Amazon/Origin you are buying it from within the USA and exporting it.

Buying it in AU, you are not buying it within the USA. So there is all sorts of issues this could lead to.

EA can't go after EB to much because EB is to big to fuck over in terms of revenue and the biggest issue is that EB knows it. EB is to big for the AU game industry now. We have a serious problem with their market share levels and what they can get away with because of it.

People just dont consider this. EB are creating a massive headache for EA, and quite frnakly they dont give a fuck. All about that important dollar

someone needs to stand up to them for once

also there has been reports that some of the retail keys weren't loaded into the server and thus won't register. EA has solved this by allocating new keys to origin accounts. its not available in AU so can't have a key allocated to it. Therefore, if you get a EB key and it doesn't work, you might be stuffed. EB probably won't take the game back, EA Aus will tell you to go away as its not an AU version and the CS queues are 3 hrs on the phone.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=72068

feel free to translate this mess of a post into some level of research serrels/jint

this is not as simple as X company imports and sells. its much bigger because this is a MMO

Jintor

A piece like that would rely pretty heavily on EA's input, and I bet we'd probably get stonewalled at the moment. You could probably do alright talking to other MMO places though.

Did you get around to reading my white paper?

Gazunta

I will posit the opinion that this is a problem of EA's own making.

They could have had this on the shelves the same day it was available elsewhere.

This just proves that EB's done enough research to indicate their customers really don't care about local servers.

Choc

Banned
A piece like that would rely pretty heavily on EA's input, and I bet we'd probably get stonewalled at the moment. You could probably do alright talking to other MMO places though.

Did you get around to reading my white paper?

yeah mate im doing a bit of research for you at the mo, get you some more examples etc

just cross checking things against my cob documentation as well

MrSerrels

Choc mega post.

I find all of this stuff extremely interesting. The sucky thing is that EB just won't comment on anything or any of this. It's barely even worth the effort of trying.

EA's official response was also pretty standard: "We are investigating."

I was not aware of all that stuff with regards to the keys -- I think that's a really interesting issue. I think I need to head into a store and check this. They have to be slapping the Aussie rating on, so a lot of consumers will think they're getting an Aussie version. That's what's interesting with a product like this. It's not a simple case of: here's the same game you wanted. It's far more complicated than that.

Choc

Banned
I will posit the opinion that this is a problem of EA's own making.

They could have had this on the shelves the same day it was available elsewhere.

This just proves that EB's done enough research to indicate their customers really don't care about local servers.

Gaz i doubt it. They see an opportunity to have a early release and make money. They don't give a rats arse about the CS level or anything like that.

They could have had it ready sure if they trained up an oceanic call centre team and had the servers ready. Perhaps it wasn't possible. I agree EA has somewhat made this situation.

EB doesn't give a shit there is no local CS, queue times are 3 hours etc.

EA has purposely restricted the sale of TOR as well on origin even though its digital only so they don't overload CS teams and the servers. Trying to manage load and only allow a few extra hundred a day rather then a massive flood.

The CS problems are already big enough without a major AU shop selling a game that can have many problems that require a phone call and not warning the customer of this

has anyone purchased it and if so has eb placed AU classification stickers on the box? because if they haven't they are breakign the law.

Choc

Banned
I find all of this stuff extremely interesting. The sucky thing is that EB just won't comment on anything or any of this. It's barely even worth the effort of trying.

EA's official response was also pretty standard: "We are investigating."

I was not aware of all that stuff with regards to the keys -- I think that's a really interesting issue. I think I need to head into a store and check this. They have to be slapping the Aussie rating on, so a lot of consumers will think they're getting an Aussie version. That's what's interesting with a product like this. It's not a simple case of: here's the same game you wanted. It's far more complicated than that.

here's a question mark that you could follow up.

Ring fair trading and ask who they would pin it on, EA or EB

edit: Bioware has NOT GUARANTEED server transfers to oceanic

they said they are going to look at it.

MrSerrels

here's a question mark that you could follow up.

Ring fair trading and ask who they would pin it on, EA or EB

edit: Bioware has NOT GUARANTEED server transfers to oceanic

they said they are going to look at it.

I was actually think along those same lines. :)

Top Bottom