• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

also we should never forget this, ever.

The Ashes - 1st Test
Australia v England

England innings 1 Total (all out; 76.5 overs; 360 mins) 260 (3.38 runs per over)

Aus innings 1 Total (all out; 158.4 overs; 662 mins) 481 (3.03 runs per over)

England Innings 2 Total (1 wicket dec; 152 overs; 630 mins) 517 (3.40 runs per over)

Aus Innings 2 Total 107

England did it. India can. and that would give them massive momentum like it did ENG
Our bowlers are much much better than back then Choc. Also the scores are very different. If India make 517 we will need to chase 49. In which case we would have won against England by making 107!

Also we were bowled out. Not declared after 3 batsmen got big hundreds, including a THREE hundred plus score.

Choc

Banned
what this is more likely to lead to Dead Man is IP Blocking of MMO's

do you know how much of a major effort it would be to launch an mmo day 1worldwide, it would be phenomenally expensive and having support temas every where etc

like i said EA are already restricting how many people can buy it daily. Origin 'sells out' of a digital piece of software because of it

and they are only shipping a certain number of Retail copies. Puit it this way they are not shipping as many as they could right now to ensure high levels of server service and cs

they are already maintaining 223 servers worldwide. Yes you could delay until a WW launch was possible but the fact is queuing etc would probably be through the roof and CS worse than it already is

The Call centre in the US is so overloaded right now they are telling people they have to call back later, you dont even get in a queue.

Its not possible to launch worldwide day 1 imho.

edit: Siddle got a freaking HATRICK in the first innings Reptile. You can't get much better than that.

Yagharek

So Ive been well and truly proven wrong on Clarke. He's had the right attitude this test (series) and batting can no longer even be remotely plausibly questioned.

Maybe he is on his way to being a great captain.

He should have gone for 401

I love talking to synergy robots. One day I'll put up the transcripts of my conversation with Microsoft's GFWL PR dude.

PR companies and media departments are the bane of my life. All I want to do is talk to a real person. The incredible amount of bullshit you have to go through to get the most basic information, especially from the government, is mind numbingly ridiculous.

All I want to do is find out the facts of an issue to inform people and it takes all day, if not a number of days, to achieve this.

Dead Man

what this is more likely to lead to Dead Man is IP Blocking of MMO's

do you know how much of a major effort it would be to launch an mmo day 1worldwide, it would be phenomenally expensive and having support temas every where etc

like i said EA are already restricting how many people can buy it daily. Origin 'sells out' of a digital piece of software because of it

and they are only shipping a certain number of Retail copies. Puit it this way they are not shipping as many as they could right now to ensure high levels of server service and cs

they are already maintaining 223 servers worldwide. Yes you could delay until a WW launch was possible but the fact is queuing etc would probably be through the roof and CS worse than it already is

The Call centre in the US is so overloaded right now they are telling people they have to call back later, you dont even get in a queue.

Its not possible to launch worldwide day 1 imho.

edit: Siddle got a freaking HATRICK in the first innings Reptile. You can't get much better than that.

Wait. You just said they were telling people to call to get anything done, now even the phones aren't getting it done? And if they are struggling with a staggered release, it seems it wouldn't be any worse with a worldwide release. I will also admit to a fair degree of selfishness, I don't play MMO's, and wish they would go away so I can get more resources deployed for SP campaigns.

Choc

Banned
as i said before the only reason EB can do this is EA paid for a classification

would EB pony up the $2500 to gain that classification and the costs etc around that if EA hadn't?

doubt it

Omikron

would EB pony up the $2500 to gain that classification and the costs etc around that if EA hadn't?

doubt it

All this because of $2.5k?

lol.

No. Really.

Shaneus

'Grats to Clarke, great knock (even though I saw very little of it).

Sad to hear that story, Megadrive :( Always sad to hear of those sorts of things for pets and animals in general. Hopefully your girl can find a suitable animal to fill that hole the death of this one has created.

First big purchase in a while, I've decided to splash out on this sucker:
JV8bw.png

(TH-P46GT30A)

Bing Lee have a kickarse deal on it (after newsletter subscription discount, is ~$900 delivered) and by all accounts it's one of the best TVs that can be bought. Will barely have enough room for it (as it is, Logitech Z5500 speakers sit next to the TV, won't be able to with going from 42" to 46") but it's definitely a massive upgrade over my Bauhn (Aldi) LCD that I paid $100 more for several years ago. Woo!

Yagharek

doubt it

Come off it choc. It's a legitimate import for EB, who cares if they are morally bankrupt. EA are criminals all over the world and who cares if someone doing something completely legal hurts their sales. They are responsible for almost every bad trend in gaming, exploit their customers and steal from them.

pilonv1

EA are criminals all over the world and who cares if someone doing something completely legal hurts their sales. They are responsible for almost every bad trend in gaming, exploit their customers and steal from them.

Don't hold back Pat, tell us how you really feel.

Choc

Banned
Vince i have ZERO ISSUE with EB doing this if EB are going to deal with the fallout when it goes pear shaped for AU users and acknowledge consumer rights and australian law applies to these sales

but you can guarantee they won't

edit: just on this why doesnt EB import fucking PS Vitas and provide AU power supplys then?

they could, easily. They don't want to deal with the warranty issues.

Are Australian gamers getting a worse experience than US gamers playing TOR?

Aside from not being able to access customer support. Do we have to wait just as long to get onto a server?

Why can't they release it here. Don't a lot of regular games with multiplayer release without an Australian server?

Bing Lee have a kickarse deal on it (after newsletter subscription discount, is ~$900 delivered) and by all accounts it's one of the best TVs that can be bought.
The VT30 series are the ones you want from Panasonic. Besides the rising black level (where the black gets lighter over time), they're the best TVs currently on the market. Apparently nearing the quality of the Pioneer Kuros (Panasonic pilfered that team from Pioneer when Pioneer shut it's TV business).

Would love a 65" VT30 but not willing to drop five grand on it.

Choc

Banned

Aside from not being able to access customer support. Do we have to wait just as long to get onto a server?

Why can't they release it here. Don't a lot of regular games with multiplayer release without an Australian server?

reaction time on PVP is horrendous due to the ping comparison

180 vs 30 (US guys get about 30)

local servers fix this.

and yes the queues are bad

OUT! Could be all over by 3pm!

edit: just on this why doesnt EB import fucking PS Vitas and provide AU power supplys then?

Because there are no games here to sell. If they import PS Vita they would also need to import a shitload of games.

local servers fix this.
In that case then EB should DEFINITELY need to tell the consumer this information before taking their money as the consumer would expect a game that functions properly. I can see them getting away with no customer support (aside from what is covered by regulations) because of how messed up that is currently for any game/device but for a customer to buy the game, get home and find that it is unplayable in it's current state should not be allowed.

EDIT: Oh, I thought that was bad. Not an online gamer so I had no idea. Sounds like it is more than playable for us then, which I expected since you had been gushing about the game for the last couple of weeks.

Also anyone who plays up to 100 hours of Skyrim on PS3 should get a refund since they are being unfairly restricted from playing their game because Bethesda did not make the game to the standards expected of them. Bugs okay, game breaking shit that stops you from finishing the game is not.

Yagharek

Vince i have ZERO ISSUE with EB doing this if EB are going to deal with the fallout when it goes pear shaped for AU users and acknowledge consumer rights and australian law applies to these sales

but you can guarantee they won't

If its Australian law, they have no choice in the matter. EA on the other hand are far more likely to screw their customers.

Choc

Banned
180ms ping is pretty good for an MMO from Aus -> USA. I remember the best I would get with WoW was always 240+

yeah its good but PVP its bad

PVP is reactionary like a FPS so lower is better

you can clearly tell your key strokes are non-reactive straight away as well but thats actually a coding problem compounded by the lag

pilonv1

you can clearly tell your key strokes are non-reactive straight away as well but thats actually a coding problem compounded by the lag

Oh no doubt it's bad for PvP, just saying it's better than WoW.

Nemesis_

I've been playing since Early Access and the guys I've been playing with haven't reported any problems and neither have I. Just sayin'

legend166

local servers fix this.

I played WoW for 18 months long before they brought in local servers and the ping wasn't an issue at all, really.

It's nothing like a FPS where location is hugely important in that sense.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

too much 4gate, play Z instead.

ezpz.

PM JUST USED THE WORD MIDGET.

HERE COMES THE PC POLICE :O

So why wasn't TOR released over here if WOW did it? If gamers are happy with the experience what is the problem? EA wanting to wait until this year for the costs to hit their sheets?

lol. On the Kohli gesture fine.
140911.2.jpg

According to a Cricket Australia spokesperson, since CA has kept keeping such records, the second day of this Test was the first time no spectator was evicted during a Test in Australia. There have been no formal complaints about crowd behaviour.

The PM also said "not to sweat the little things".

>.>

Oh god, I laughed hard. Hehe. In my defence it is a funny turn of phrase. Also I had watched Lifes Too Short this week.

Shaneus

The VT30 series are the ones you want from Panasonic. Besides the rising black level (where the black gets lighter over time), they're the best TVs currently on the market. Apparently nearing the quality of the Pioneer Kuros (Panasonic pilfered that team from Pioneer when Pioneer shut it's TV business).

Would love a 65" VT30 but not willing to drop five grand on it.
The VT wasn't going cheap ;) That, and the smallest is 50" which I really don't have the room for. 42" was perfect, 46" is pushing it so there really was no other option. But for $900 shipped, I'm getting basically the best 46" TV in the world and it's being delivered to my house. Biggest problem is now is what to do with the 42" inch it's replacing. Maybe going into my bedroom, where the 32" THAT replaced resides :/

(if anyone is interested in either, let me know!)

Yagharek

I think the thing I like best about Clarke's innings was that he waited for Hussey to get 150 before declaring. That was a nice thing to do for someone who has struggled with bad luck and bad form recently.

Dead Man

I think the thing I like best about Clarke's innings was that he waited for Hussey to get 150 before declaring. That was a nice thing to do for someone who has struggled with bad luck and bad form recently.

Yeah, he has really impressed me this match. Hope to see it continue.

Choc

Banned
I kind of want to get TOR, then I hear it is WoW with a Star Wars skin, and that the world is barren. Sucks man.

this has improved a lot. they have reduced the instancing on planets now so you do see people everywhere

nothing like wow citie sthough

Nemesis_

I kind of want to get TOR, then I hear it is WoW with a Star Wars skin, and that the world is barren. Sucks man.

Thankfully I have no interest in WoW or it's lore so I never ended up playing it, so I have nothing to compare SWTOR to, so I love it!

lol >_>

It amazes me how quickly the game patches itself too >_> Really good speeds.

My US Import arrived today

Rezbit

Thankfully I have no interest in WoW or it's lore so I never ended up playing it, so I have nothing to compare SWTOR to, so I love it!

lol >_>

It amazes me how quickly the game patches itself too >_> Really good speeds.

My US Import arrived today

Trouble is I only got to like level 30 in WoW and then just couldn't do it anymore. I dunno.

Clipper

I thought that was a cute joke, but then went to check the news just in case and discovered it's real. Bottled Australia.... I like it!

So uh... I probably should read the news to see if it's there, but are they sticking with Cheesybite for that horrible abomination of an offshoot product?

Ah, reading up, it's just until Australia Day. Still, cool!

Nemesis_

Hmm, well, this could be problematic for some.

I got my boxed copy of SWTOR today from Amazon and I went to register for a security key (so, you know, my account was more secure) but this specific functionality is exclusive to Origin. And of course, Origin is the only thing that's blocking me from SWTOR at all.

I could fill in my billing, sign up for subscription and play the damn thing but I can't get a security key. Unless I import one of those physical devices which I cbf doing right now.

I really do hope that if it's being sold here that people are made aware of things like this because I was most certainly not. I am not a huge MMO person but I am under the impression that extra securtiy things like this are generally regarded as being quite important?

EDIT: False alarm. The physical security key generator devices are Origin exclusive but I can set up a mobile one (using the iOS app) easily

Dead Man

Hmm, well, this could be problematic for some.

I got my boxed copy of SWTOR today from Amazon and I went to register for a security key (so, you know, my account was more secure) but this specific functionality is exclusive to Origin. And of course, Origin is the only thing that's blocking me from SWTOR at all.

I could fill in my billing, sign up for subscription and play the damn thing but I can't get a security key. Unless I import one of those physical devices which I cbf doing right now.

I really do hope that if it's being sold here that people are made aware of things like this because I was most certainly not. I am not a huge MMO person but I am under the impression that extra securtiy things like this are generally regarded as being quite important?

EDIT: False alarm. The physical security key generator devices are Origin exclusive but I can set up a mobile one (using the iOS app) easily

Good to hear.

Rezbit

What's the most accurate to its advertising take away food? KFC looks fucking amazing on those ads, but is straight nasty in real life.

Top Bottom