• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

What's something that goes good with rice and is also cheap?

I suck at shopping :(

Water works pretty well. I would recommend putting water with your rice.

Also Soy and Wasabi.

So Chili Con Carne is super cheap and tasty. A little rice, can of kidney beans, can of diced tomatoes, some low grade mince, a sachet mix and sour cream.
Boom.
Dinner for the next 11 years done.

Deeku

That one is very manageable. Wait until it smashes it's face into the ground and then charges. When he's done charging you have a no-catch period of time to go crazy.
Yep, this did it. Turns out it really was a cakewalk. Onto Bligh Town I guess!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why is it so hard to buy low carb stuff for say breakfast? Everything i've found online is like, make your own.

NO! I'm lazy and still live at home. I want muffins or something premade just so i can eat it and get ready for work. There has to be something in the shops, Guess that's next weekends adventure.

Rezbit

Vegetables. Capsicum, mushroom, onion. Some form of sauce.

You could buy some potatoes and curry powder/spices and make a veggie curry.

Something else that's simple: I assume bread is a staple. Buy some eggs and milk, whip up a little mix, dip the bread in and then fry. Voila, French Toast.

Shaneus

Why is it so hard to buy low carb stuff for say breakfast? Everything i've found online is like, make your own.

NO! I'm lazy and still live at home. I want muffins or something premade just so i can eat it and get ready for work. There has to be something in the shops, Guess that's next weekends adventure.
Eggs. Bacon.

Easy.

Danoss

As mentioned before, Chili Con Carne is an awesome recipe that involves rice and when made can feed a decent number of people or just one person for a number of days.

Here's my recipe.

Chili Con Carne

Ingredients
500g mince steak
1 large carrot
1 medium brown onion
1 clove of garlic
400g tin of whole peeled tomatoes
400g tin of red kidney beans
400g tin of chick peas (optional)
3 large red chilis
chili powder
ground cumin
salt
pepper
1 and 1/2 cup of rice (basmati preferred)
sour cream
shredded cheese
corn chips (optional)

Preparation
Dice carrot, onion, garlic and chili
Slice beans
Drain tins of red kidney beans and chick peas and rinse.

Method
Heat oil and place onion, carrot and chili in a large-ish pan.
Cook until onions are golden.
Throw in garlic.
Sprinkle in a tablespoon or so of chili powder and ground cumin, mix well.
Place mince meat in, breaking it up and cook until brown.
Grind some salt and pepper on meat while cooking.
Add whole peeled tomatoes and break them up.
Add red kidney beans.
Add chick peas.
Simmer for 20-25 mins uncovered.
While the above is simmering, bring a pot of water to the boil and cook rice as per instructions.

To Serve
Add the mixture to a bed of rice.
Sprinkle some shredded cheese to the top as it will melt well with the heat
Add a dollop of sour cream on top and stir in to smooth out the spicy flavours and hold everything together better.
Poke some corn chips into the meal or spread around the outside for presentation.

Another good, relatively cheap recipe that tastes great (has some rice in it) and can feed you for quite a bit is Beef Chow Mein. Here's my recipe.

Beef Chow Mein

Ingredients
500g mince steak
1 large carrot
1 handful of beans
1 medium brown onion
1 clove of garlic
1 half head of cabbage
1 packet chicken noodle soup
1 handful of rice (uncooked)
3 cups hot water
tomato sauce
soy sauce
curry powder
pepper

Preparation
Dice carrot, onion and garlic
Slice beans
Shred lettuce

Method
Heat oil and place onion, carrot and beans in a large-ish pan.
Cook until onions are golden.
Throw in garlic.
Place mince meat in, breaking it up and cook until brown.
Grind some pepper on meat while cooking.
Pour in packet of soup and water, stir through and bring to the boil.
Throw in handful of rice.
Drop hot plate to a fast simmer.
Place shredded cabbage in and cook until cabbage wilted and carrot and beans are cooked (usually 3-4 mins at this point).

After above is done
Squirt some tomato sauce in.
Pour in some soy sauce.
Sprinkle in some curry powder.
Adjust to taste (I usually put about the equivalent of 2-3 tablespoons of each in to begin with, then continue to add in curry powder to taste).

The last and a great thing you can do with rice, though it requires Arborio rice specifically, is Risotto. Depending on your taste, there are a wide variety of things you can do with a risotto. There are many recipes online to give you a start and plenty of ideas. The only tricky part is not overcooking the rice and making sure that little white bit in the middle remains crunchy.

A couple of my favourites are a mushroom risotto and a pumpkin risotto. Not too difficult to make and once you get the feel for how to make one, you can vary it up yourself as they are basically the same, only changing depending on the flavour that you're going for.

It's not really reheat-able, so not a good bachelor food for cooking a large batch and living off it for days. Done well though, it's sure to impress the ladies!

Hopefully the info above is good enough to give you a start. Once you get into it, cooking is easy and fun.

Something else that's simple: I assume bread is a staple. Buy some eggs and milk, whip up a little mix, dip the bread in and then fry. Voila, French Toast.
Yes! I do mix some brown sugar and cinnamon in with the milk and eggs for some added sweetness and an awesome spicy kick. It just needs to be whisked thoroughly to make sure the sugar and cinnamon doesn't settle on the bottom of the bowl.

No can do.
Amazon wont ship them out of the US, and PlayAsia aparently uses a shipping company that doesnt ship batteries and memory cards.

Yagharek

Why wouldnt they ship memory cards? Ive ordered gamecube mem cards from there before. It's just flash memory.
PA also use multiple shipping companies: fedex, UPS and another I forget.

Deeku

Memory cards not shipping is news to me:/ Are you sure?

Edit: I didn't know Amazon isn't shipping vitas outside US anymore. What's going to happen to my vita preorder D:

I'd love to be wrong.
But I've read a bunch of times that EMS Speedpost doesnt do batteries or cards.

I shot them a question about it so hopefully they'll clarify it for me.

Edit: I didn't know Amazon isn't shipping vitas outside US anymore. What's going to happen to my vita preorder D:

Apparently they will honor all pre-orders made before they made that decision.

Danoss

I'd love to be wrong.
But I've read a bunch of times that EMS Speedpost doesnt do batteries or cards.

I shot them a question about it so hopefully they'll clarify it for me.

I had some batteries, chargers and such shipped via EMS from DealExtreme about 12 months ago without issue. Unless something has changed in the meantime, you should be fine.

Street Spirit by Radiohead is such a damn good song. Been stuck in my head the last few days.

Eggs. Bacon.
Easy.
Even easier!

No can do.
Amazon wont ship them out of the US, and PlayAsia aparently uses a shipping company that doesnt ship batteries and memory cards.
For real? Never had that problem before. Even had Dreamcast VMU's sent from PlayAsia last year.

$100 is a moronic price anyway as they are BOUND to drop sooner rather than later.

I am just picking up the local Starter Kit with the 4Gb card and extra protective crap for #35 to go with my US Vita and games.

EDIT: Wait? Our Starter Kit doesn't come with the card? wtf
EDIT2: I never actually pre-ordered, only wishlisted to take advantage of possible better exchange rate closer to release, which hasn't happened anyway :(

You want cheap easy and rice? Make fried rice. Cook some short grain rice and put in the fridge overnight. Next day, cook some eggs then add any vegies and meat you like/have in a big wok, add some sesame oil and soy. Done.

Easy, cheap, filling and only pan.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't want to cook anything, That's why i want premade stuff. Cooking bacon and eggs would take way too long in the morning and i'm certainly not going to cook it while everyone else is still asleep.

legend166

For dinner tonight I'm having plain spaghetti pasta (no sauce or anything) with a dumping of Kraft parmesian cheese.

It's great.

Shaneus

You were saying it's hard to buy stuff for breakfast. Buying eggs and bacon, either individually or together, is easy. Preparation is slightly more difficult, that's not what you were asking :p

Street Spirit by Radiohead is such a damn good song. Been stuck in my head the last few days.
I don't like a shitload of Radiohead stuff (other than the odd track or two) but I do love that song. Haven't heard it for ages.

Maccas drivethru. Easy fixed.
But that requires, like, effort! Isn't there something that doesn't involve driving, or turning on the stove or anything?

Pocket League Story is so relentlessly charming.
Do I buy it? I enjoyed F1 Story and Game Dev, but haven't fired them up for a bit. If it's markedly better than those, lemme know.

Salazar

Do I buy it? I enjoyed F1 Story and Game Dev, but haven't fired them up for a bit. If it's markedly better than those, lemme know.

This is my first game of this sort (apart from FM). I feel pride for my collection of chubby little players, though.

Mushroom, tomato, onion, mortadella, Vince.

Clipper

Just reposting the DnD stuff from Kritz:

Dungeons And Dragons Shit

When: Tuesday, 10 Jan 2012
Who: Kritz DM night
What: You need to get an invite from Clipper in order to use the Wizard's official virtual tabletop. Ask him about it here or on Steam chat. We are not using RP MapTools this session, because we want to try out different software.

We'll start at 7PM. Will end around 10-11PM.

We only have 4 players at the moment, so we definitely have places to fill if people want to join in on the fun. We can help you generate a character in Steam Chat if you haven't yet, so that's not a barrier.

Also, to the regular group, don't forget to let me know if you want to purchase any new equipment.

midonnay

stock standard rice meal is just to fry it together with eggs and soy sauce and perhaps some veges if thats your thing >_>

soy sauce can be substituted with stock and a dollop of water if you don't have any.

which is what I had tonight

Rezbit

Yes! I do mix some brown sugar and cinnamon in with the milk and eggs for some added sweetness and an awesome spicy kick. It just needs to be whisked thoroughly to make sure the sugar and cinnamon doesn't settle on the bottom of the bowl.

Yeah I usually add a bit of sugar and vanilla essence. Might have to chuck in some cinnamon to try it out!

Danoss

Holy fuck, Peep Show is amazing. Love it.

I've been getting into it recently also. The finale of Season 4 had me laughing so hard it was difficult to breathe. Such a great show.

e: If you enjoy Peep Show and haven't seen "That Mitchell and Webb Look", check it out. Same people, but a sketch show. Such as:

Sherlock Holmes

Nazis

Friends of Moneypenny

Bawdy 1970s Hospital

Everything is Fine

Working from Home

Love Scene

I also love it every time David Mitchell appears in QI. I'm such a fan of his type of humour.

As do I. My absolute favourite guest.

I conquer.
You came? You saw?

9eSbt.gif
If he looked like that so many of the episodes would have panned out differently.

So. Very. Differently.

Fucking love Canada and Canadians. There's absolutely nothing to not like about them. I should move to Canada.
If, for whatever hypothetical reason, I had to move countries I would move to Canada. Been there twice and would love to go back.

I'm having an extraordinarily good journalistic day
Why, that's quite a nice trumpet you have there. Sure, sure, I'd love to hear you play.

What's something food related that I can buy from the shops that's cheap and has lots of uses? I need stuff like that because I'm lazy and poor
Salt. There's nary a recipe that doesn't use it.

Also bread and water.
You're telling someone with little money to purchase water?

Really? No wonder to have to buy bargain basement shit from LOGS... You am disappoint.

Vegetables and soy/sweet chili sauce.

Or perhaps water.

Water works pretty well. I would recommend putting water with your rice.
There you go. Run - don't walk - to your local shoppery and purchase some water. Exclusive to shops.

Started Dark Souls. Got monstered by the first monster.
Aptly named, then.

Eggs. Bacon.

Easy.
Bravo!

Eggs. Bacon.

Easy.
Even easier!
Double Bravo!

I don't want to cook anything, That's why i want premade stuff. Cooking bacon and eggs would take way too long in the morning and i'm certainly not going to cook it while everyone else is still asleep.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU FILTHY WHORE!! There is no effort too great for bacon. None. YOU HEAR ME?!?!

But that requires, like, effort! Isn't there something that doesn't involve driving, or turning on the stove or anything?
Finding a womanfolk to cook it for you, I guess. But then you'd have to ignore the effort one would need to make in finding such a life bacon life partner.

Holy fuck, Peep Show is amazing. Love it.
I know. I also love it every time David Mitchell appears in QI. I'm such a fan of his type of humour.

Being single and going out with a bunch of couples may be one of the worst things known to man kind.
Also known as 'my existence.'

Yoghurt?

I have discovered a new delicious breakfast: Asparagus and melted cheese on toast. Doesn't quite compare to the amazingness that is hashbrowns, eggs and beans, but its up there I'm telling you.

Rice: I found a great recipe for katsu-don. its fairly easy. Heat up a chicken/pork fillet in the oven. Put soy sauce, mirin/sake, chicken stock and sugar into a fry pan and fry it with onion. Add the chicken/pork. Add a whisked egg. Pour the omelette thing on to rice.

So Arkham City is still awesome. Only annoyance is the guys with guns who tear me apart and I don't really have a good approach. Keep screwing up the stealth takedowns and the others hear me and group up.

Huge clearances at Myer and David Jones by the sounds of it. I live in the middle of nowhere. Not even DJ Hero 2 pack for me :(

I have discovered a new delicious breakfast: Asparagus and melted cheese on toast. Doesn't quite compare to the amazingness that is hashbrowns, eggs and beans, but its up there I'm telling you.
Asparagus? Yuck! Sounds a thousand times healthier than eggs et al though.

going out with a bunch of couples may be one of the worst things known to man kind.
Fixed. It sucks unless you are actually all friends rather than known through each other BECAUSE of the couple situation. Same reason I only hang out with one of my gf's friends because I knew her before I knew the gf. Also she goes out with one of my best mates. All the others though? Fake an injury.

You're telling someone with little money to purchase water?
No I am telling them to make sure they have paid their water bill. :)
Damn things come like 2 months before you have to pay it so you put it to the side and then fucking lose it and then remember a month and a half later about it and can't remember if you have paid it so you go back through your draw of paid invoices and can't find it and end up tearing the place to pieces to finally find it and STILL end up paying it before it is due.

Then again maybe he wants roast beef, you clod!
finally found a treasure trove of Simpsons quotes on youtube. Not that one though :(

Finding a womanfolk to cook it for you, I guess. But then you'd have to ignore the effort one would need to make in finding such a life bacon life partner.
Get drunk
go to club
get drunker
drunkenly slobber on woman/get drunkenly slobbered on by woman/preferably both for longevity
[time goes by]
Do nice things for bacon

Worked for me!

Danoss

generally I don't like it either, but this is delicious!

If anyone is new to Asparagus or didn't like it at some point, I urge you to try it again. This time melt some butter on the BBQ or in a pan and cook the Asparagus in it, with the tips getting most of the attention (don't cook it too much, it should still be relatively firm). I'm confident you'll enjoy it, it's very nice indeed.

Yagharek

If anyone is new to Asparagus or didn't like it at some point, I urge you to try it again. This time melt some butter on the BBQ or in a pan and cook the Asparagus in it, with the tips getting most of the attention (don't cook it too much, it should still be relatively firm). I'm confident you'll enjoy it, it's very nice indeed.

Again, asparagus goes great will capsicum, especially when grilled with a bit of olive oil. And some mushrooms too.

Shaneus

Yep.

Super Hans is godlike.

The bit when he tries to get off the crack by distracting himself with exercise is great.
I don't know how I'd managed to not hear about it for this long. I actually have a hunch I've tried to watch it before but couldn't get into it.

If he looked like that so many of the episodes would have panned out differently.

So. Very. Differently.
I'd watch that at the drop of the hat. That'd be the shit.

If, for whatever hypothetical reason, I had to move countries I would move to Canada. Been there twice and would love to go back.
Almost exactly the same. Went once briefly while I was in NYC to Montreal and another time to see a girl for a few weeks in Toronto. Fucking amazing place. Really don't hear of any major problems over there. Not even on the scale of some of the Australian stuff.

Bravo!

Double Bravo!
Damn straight. Perfect low-carb foodage.

Make bacon your life partner, cut out the middlerasherman.

I know. I also love it every time David Mitchell appears in QI. I'm such a fan of his type of humour.
It took me a little while to warm to him over some of the other panelists on there but I do quite enjoy him on QI and Peep Show.

I've been getting into it recently also. The finale of Season 4 had me laughing so hard it was difficult to breathe. Such a great show.

e: If you enjoy Peep Show and haven't seen "That Mitchell and Webb Look", check it out. .
Will do! I'm finding it's a lot like the awkward humour of Gervais' Office and Extras, yet not quite as uncomfortable.

So many great episodes it started to go a bit down hill when mark shacked up with a certain someone
Going to pretend you didn't say that. Am only watching the first season.

Nothing else I've tried has done the trick, so next weekend I'm doing it your way.
Crash at reptile's place? Let him do nice things for bacon on your behalf?

Top Bottom