• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Subtle dig at Uncharted 3?

I thought it was referring to buying tons 7 games a week for $20 each and then never playing any of them because you spend all your free time talking about games or researching cheap games.

:(

Also I see what you did there. UC3 is a fantastic game that requires more than one button to awesome.

EDIT:
He said games, not movies.
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

jambo

I thought that was the joke?

7LGPL.jpg

wonzo

Banned
Do you enjoy other non-interactive forms of entertainment? Like Movies, TV etc?

So every form of passive entertainment is inferior? Books, TV, movies, theatre, concerts, art galleries?

There is indeed. They are both enjoyable for most people though. Same with the difference incurred by playing a sport in video game format.

Yeah, that was a dumb argument on my behalf. I guess my issue with sports is that I like to be entertained by things that I can also find intellectually engaging and sport just doesn't do it for me. :<

Your mum is a boring professional sport.
hey now, let's not bring personal attacks into this!

So this

http://i.imgur.com/2wPo9.jpg[img]

is superior to this

[img]http://i.imgur.com/c70d2.jpg[img]

because you're pressing buttons instead of cheering and chanting and being social?[/quote]
You say this as if gaming is incapable of being a social event?

[quote="jambo, post: 34230580"]He said games, not movies.[/quote]
lmao

All the awesome is done in cutscenes.
Nah, more awesome was had in the UC2 cutscenes relative to gameplay than in UC3. They changed it up by making cutscenes the on-rails stuff this time like the horses in the desert section, which they started doing in the second game.

I felt the second two games were much more gameplay filled than the first one. <shrug>

Yeah, that was a dumb argument on my behalf. I guess my issue with sports is that I like to be entertained by things that I can also find intellectually engaging and sport just doesn't do it for me. :<
Probably the biggest enjoyment I get out of cricket is the mental stimulation. Not an easy game to play for 7 hours. Especially when the pitch is playing up and the pressure is on the batsmen. Plus watching McGrath bowl gave me a great appreciation for line and length bowling and the tactics involved in the longer form of the game.

Yagharek

Nah, more awesome was had in the UC2 cutscenes relative to gameplay than in UC3. They changed it up by making cutscenes the on-rails stuff this time like the horses in the desert section, which they started doing in the second game.

I felt the second two games were much more gameplay filled than the first one. <shrug>

I found the third one increased the ratio of "whooaaaahh" near miss falls to gameplay over 1 and 2 significantly. Every. Single. Ladder. Kept. Breaking. When. Climbing. Thus making your average climbing time 3 times longer than expected. I suppose that makes up for a lack of crates >.>

I found the third one increased the ratio of "whooaaaahh" near miss falls to gameplay over 1 and 2 significantly. Every. Single. Ladder. Kept. Breaking. When. Climbing. Thus making your average climbing time 3 times longer than expected. I suppose that makes up for a lack of crates >.>

Yeah I agree with the close calls. I zoned them out after the first couple of hours though and it just became part of the traversal (which is NOT a good thing on Naughty Dogs part, just that I blocked it out really). Aside from that I felt more in control of Drake than in the previous games, although I would argue that comes in part because of the change in playstyle that came with the change in aiming.

EDIT: Similar to me being in more control of Batman in Arkham City because of the introduction of more gadgets to counter the wider range of enemies. In the first game I just spammed attack, now I am the god damn Batman.

hamchan

I felt there's no difference at all in the near miss falls from 2 to 3. Or maybe you're just extra sick of it because you played 2 first. Or it's because 3 supposedly has more platforming and less combat than 2.

Yagharek

Yeah I agree with the close calls. I zoned them out after the first couple of hours though and it just became part of the traversal (which is NOT a good thing on Naughty Dogs part, just that I blocked it out really). Aside from that I felt more in control of Drake than in the previous games, although I would argue that comes in part because of the change in playstyle that came with the change in aiming.

EDIT: Similar to me being in more control of Batman in Arkham City because of the introduction of more gadgets to counter the wider range of enemies. In the first game I just spammed attack, now I am the god damn Batman.

Maybe the problem was exacerbated by playing UC3 immediately after Batman, which to me feels like it has far more control of the character.

I felt there's no difference at all in the near miss falls from 2 to 3. Or maybe you're just extra sick of it because you played 2 first. Or it's because 3 supposedly has more platforming and less combat than 2.

I'm sure you could measure it and prove one way or the other, but the number of instances of it irritated me in UC3. It felt contrived.

jambo

How the hell am I in the top 10 posters for this thread? I hardly post any more =\

Code:
User Name	Posts
reptilescorpio	844
Jintor		734
Choc		730
RandomVince	572
Shaneus		398
commanderdeek	361
codswallop	343
Omi		338
Salazar		333
jambo		320

C'mon lads, lift your game!

EDIT: I post so little that I didn't even realise I still had my xmas avatar on!

Couldn't find a white mug for a mugatar so opted for giant-steel-bottle-atar.

Video games!

Played a bit more of Halo last night. It seems I must have given up aboard the Truth and Reconciliation when I last played on PC because I don't seem to remember anything after you escape from it. Ran into a few of the terminals where it gives you the history of the halos as well. I'm enjoying it more than I did last time but my opinion hasn't really changed.

Board games!

Played a game of TTR: Nordic with the wife last night and she handily beat me. I didn't notice she'd been stockpiling tons of piddly little routes and tickets that went along with them because I was too busy going for a route covering one end of the board to another.

Danoss

pretty much, you heavily implied that playing games isn't being social when it easily can be (lan meet-ups, arcade, online gaming etc).

pII6s.png

Gaming can be social, but not always. Watching sports can be social, but not always.

Single player games aren't a social experience, by design. Watching sport can be a solo experience by watching it alone on TV, or you can watch with friends, or you can go to the game. You can go to the game alone and meet new people, or you can go with friends; there are many options here.

Most games, besides MMO's were a single player experience for me, even multiplayer gaming isn't terribly social a lot of the time unless you're playing with people you know. Sure, you're playing with people, but that doesn't necessarily involve social interaction. Sports has been a predominantly social experience for me. I hold a season ticket with my local football team, I go to the State of Origin, Grand Final and watch away games on TV with friends.

Watching sports has been a social experience for me all the time, because I choose for it to be, gaming hasn't always given me the option.

Yagharek

Single player games aren't a social experience, by design. Watching sport can be a solo experience by watching it alone on TV, or you can watch with friends, or you can go to the game. You can go to the game alone and meet new people, or you can go with friends; there are many options here.

They can be though. Friends and I stil get together for a new Resident Evil type game. Solving puzzles is usually my job, doing the shooting is someone else's. Some games that are single player can actually be enjoyable to watch someone else play.

Yagharek

I'm not disagreeing. It can indeed be social, but it isn't by design.

Hell, I could play a game of Solitaire with friends if I wanted to.

I wasnt arguing with any of your post though, just so you know. Just thought I'd bring up one of the things I like most about good single player games, and that is great times watching the same tense experience.

Raccoon City Police Department interview room with the surprise licker appearance is a better memory as a shared one when 4 people all scream despite knowing something was bound to happen once you got that first aid spray.

The gf loved watching me play Uncharted 2&3. She enjoyed watching bits of AssCreed games but they get a bit too repetitive for her (plus I take things slow and try and find every secret which doesn't make for entertaining viewing).

Loved playing the Doom and FEAR games with mates.

jambo

I'm not disagreeing. It can indeed be social, but it isn't by design.

Hell, I could play a game of Solitaire with friends if I wanted to.

I don't think the social side of things even matters in this case, as we're talking about what is being discussed in this thread, which is inherently a social matter.

Danoss

I wasnt arguing with any of your post though, just so you know. Just thought I'd bring up one of the things I like most about good single player games, and that is great times watching the same tense experience.

Raccoon City Police Department interview room with the surprise licker appearance is a better memory as a shared one when 4 people all scream despite knowing something was bound to happen once you got that first aid spray.

I know man.

I'm sure I'm coming across as argumentative, though I'm just expressing my feelings and experiences. The avatar quote probably didn't help, I just thought the topic of discussion was dead and buried.

I have been known to watch people play games. I liked to watch people play strategy games. I cannot play them to save my life, but I liked watching people who are good at them. As an overall thing, if I look down the list of the games I own, the majority of them would not have, at any point, involved being social whilst playing it.

Yagharek

I know man.

I'm sure I'm coming across as argumentative, though I'm just expressing my feelings and experiences. The avatar quote probably didn't help, I just thought the topic of discussion was dead and buried.

I have been known to watch people play games. I liked to watch people play strategy games. I cannot play them to save my life, but I liked watching people who are good at them. But, as an overall thing, if I look down the list of the games I own, the majority of them would not have, at any point, involved being social whilst playing it.

Not argumentative at all. I'm just suggesting there is more to be said on the subject and your post is giving ideas for "going deeper".

Top Bottom