• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

It ain't my Max Payne but I am sure it will be a good game. Rockstar don't make shit games (aside from GTA4 being medicore aside from graphics). It will be worth a play but it won't be the Max Payne 3 that I want.

Kingdoms of Amalur is 30 pounds on the UK Steam store. Hmm. I have some annual leave to burn.
Hoping that GMG can get a hold of it before I drop some cash. Even though I already decided not to buy any new games.

When my neighbour used to take me along with his son to test matches, we never sat and watched the game. We always just go to the back of the member's stand and play cricket with the rest of the kids that don't want to watch the match. I remember hitting a rad hook shot and hitting some poor guy's coke into his lap. He was all "nahs cool" but I felt pretty bad.

its 21 years for the MCG. people sign their kids up when they are born.
My son and I were signed up last year for a 1st birthday present, at that point it was apparently 18 and a half years. It fluctuates a fair bit apparently according to the members who vouched for us. MCC member is the only way to go, full strength beer or bust!

Can't see at work... it looks decent? Any signs of old Max or is it only stereotypical "shaved head American badass" we get to see?
They pushed the game back and revamped it when the negative reaction to the bald Max hit. Apparently now there is sections of the game with classic Max (yet still looks a little off) which then links in with the strange bodyguard bald Max. Story sounds pretty good even if it is a little stupid and out of character.

Do they sell EA games? I can't find any.
They don't but I can hold out hope! They ended up getting some publishers on board at the end of the year and had their titles up quickly.

How do you know without playing it?
Going by the numerous previews, interviews and videos that I have seen so far. It doesn't fell the same as the Remedy games. All I am saying is it won't carry the same feel as the older games did for me. Same as Red Dead Redemption did not carry the same as Red Dead Revolver.

Omikron

Going by the numerous previews, interviews and videos that I have seen so far. It doesn't fell the same as the Remedy games. All I am saying is it won't carry the same feel as the older games did for me. Same as Red Dead Redemption did not carry the same as Red Dead Revolver.

My guess is I will greatly enjoy finding out if it meets the expectations based on the older games and then just bitch about it anyways.

Or something.

GMG did sell EA games. I got BF3 from there but they're now region locked and of course, we're blocked. They're selling ME3 to UK customers at least. you still need origin, though.

Fredescu

Fair enough. Don't care about Origin one way or another, it seemed to work fine with FIFA, but it looks like Amalur doesn't require it.

Oh yeah EA was only signed up in the UK, originally the games all went up on the .com site and then were blocked because the contract was for only the UK site.

If anyone has 30 minutes to kill I highly suggest reading this piece on Test cricket by an American writer. Even if you don't particularly like Test cricket it's well worth a read.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/549101.html

Read this at lunch along with the rundown on Dhoni's away record. Great read.

Choc

Banned
i lol'd :(

404643_36005930735369t5l3m.jpg

I had the reaction that you would have when a girl you really like/girlfriend/wife would text you on the train when I saw that title on GAF earlier today. BW2 COME AT ME BRO. Been waiting so long.

Choc

Banned
i got through to year 10 without the fucking internet

i think you can get through school without wikipedia

and if you can't, the world has gone mad

legend166

So my car service today is costing me $1250.

:(

I hate not knowing about cars. I have no idea if I'm getting ripped off or not.

On top of the actual service I need:

- Two new tyres
- Replace front brake pads and rotor (is that a thing?)
- Replace drive belt (current one has a crack in it apparently)
- Wheel alignment

I'm just completely helpless when it comes to this stuff. Practically every other purchase I make in my life I can do research, compare costs, figure out a good deal, etc, but when it comes to car repair, I'm completely at the mercy of the mechanic.

Jintor

Oh, just got my hands on a Vita for a short period of time. It is motherfucking slick as fuck. Can't believe something that powerful is already on shelves. Ultimate MvC3 on the fucking move yes please

legend166

Cage cricket sounds terrible. I don't even understand it. I mean I sorta do, it sounds like what we did in our backyard, where we had designated scoring zones. But how big is this cage going to be? Fast bowlers have 30m long run ups.

The whole thing sounds much more akin to indoor cricket.

Choc

Banned
drive belts are usually $800 by themselves legend

if they snap when you are driving, you have an out of control bullet. You don't want that

Its the thing that times the gear changes. Often called a timing belt. AND it does epic damage to your engine, at least 6 grand worth.

Choc

Banned
Don't think it does that. It times the valves. Or something. I don't know much about cars either, but yeah, timing belt replacements are always expensive.

hm really? why am i always told if you have a manual timing belts dont come into play?

:|

but yes they do epic damage on engines if they snap, and you won't be slowing down without a wall or barrier

Danoss

I think it was a drive belt. The guy said it was the thing that does the AC and power steering and stuff. Maybe I got the name wrong?

Yep, that is the drive belt. It runs off your engine's main crank and connects to the alternator, water pump and power steering. I've only worked on Commodores, but that thing and everything else you listed is a piece of piss to replace.

If you knew how to fix things on cars, you would have paid for:

• Brake pads - $30-50
  • Brake rotors - $50-100 a pair
  • New tyres and fitting - varies wildly depending (lets say $300 @ $150 a tyre)
  • Wheel alignment - not much, but some places are didgy with these (lets say $80)
  • Drive belt -$50

If we do a rough tally at the top of the price ranges I listed, you were looking at $580. So if you knew your way around a car, that would've saved about half your bill. Fitting these things take no time at all. You could've gotten home from work, had a beer while doing it all and be finished well before the sun went down.

As for your question about rotors, they are the metal disc that your brake calipers grab hold of to slow you down. They wear down over time and need to be replaced.

Choc - Timing belts are a different beast to a drive belt (to confuse things, sometimes the drive belts are called timing belts), though they are timing chains in Commodores, not to sure about other vehicles. Many use chains as the belts are a bit unreliable. The chains aren't expensive, but the labour to change one is, because they're an absolute pain in the arse to get to. Same with head gaskets. The price is high because everyone hates doing it. I've changed both a timing and head gasket with friends of mine and it's something none of us ever want to do again.

Sorry if I just put everyone to sleep. I picked up a few things just helping mates out. I don't even own a car, just a motorcycle, which are very low maintenance.

Top Bottom