• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

Space Marine is like $16 from a US gaffer.
Is the new PCPP any good? Haven't enjoyed their articles/reviews for a long time. Is that a demo of Anno? Any cool feature?
How much is a slab of A&P? What was the quality rating on Pipsqueak? I have limited funds!
Deadly Premonition is the b-grade 360 game you are thinking of.
So, is it worth $16?
After a very brief flick-through, seems like it might be alright. That could be just the fact that it's an anniversary issue though... there's reviews of some old games in there. Deus Ex, Portal, Morrowind. Not a heap, but a few. No idea if I could enjoy it post-special issue. And yeah, demo of Anno. Also, full version of the Global Agenda MMO. No idea if that's special or not.
I lucked out with the A&P, 12x500mL for $55 at Dan Murphy's from an old label, it's regularly $59. Buy one for $6.50, see what you think. They're really, really nice. Obviously, chilled is best. I had a bit last night, left the bottle open (duh), and even with the bottle open for 6-7 hours it still tasted fiiiiine. Pipsqueak is okay, but it's not as good a cider as LC's Pale Ale is a beer.
Yeah, Deadly Premonition was the one. So, that second EDF game is the action movie equivalent of that?

Fuck yeah. That game was gold. I'm going to be pissed if the franchise if THQ goes under. Also Saints Row and Darksiders. But there was so much potential in Space Marine. Add some giant tanks and crazier alien enemies and you've got a winner

Ritual have done a great job with the IP and even if THQ go under I would expect several other publishers to make a big to grab all the team and the IP.

Shaneus

Deadly Premonition / Red Seeds Profile I'm guessing? IA doesn't quite have the same level of camp as the earlier games (Damn you mothership! Did we wake you!?) but it's still there.

And nice choice of shoes, I bought these last month..

http://www.abload.de/img/shoes_sizexwidh.jpg[img]

Omi, my GF is currently buying a pair online from Asics, something like $60 for the shoes and $20 shipping.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! Got lucky, they didn't have a great selection and most were pretty gaudy, but those two (the black/silver and the blue/black) were somewhat classy in comparison and only $90 a pop.
That's cheap for online, though. Shipping direct or via one of those services? Asics.com?
FWIW, I have another pair I paid full price for a year or two (or three) ago:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/6qokZ.jpg

Picked the colour basically because it wasn't white and everyone had the white/red/blue ones. And the scheme reminded me of this (basically identical):
mGgSN.jpg

;)

On EDF IA, IYO you think it's worth getting? Would it be worth me hunting down 2017 for shits and giggles as well? Deadly Premonition has been on the cards for a while as well. Shame it never got officially released here, I would've impulse bought it already if that were the case. As it isn't, it's a bit easier to hold off when it's bought online!

Edit: I've been a bit shit with reading comprehension today. Looks like I'll be diving in head-first into both EDF:IA and Space Marine. Like I need more shit to add to my backlog trololol

Edit #2: Appleby, I'd be wary of that first Asics site. It looks suspiciously similar to the one I tried to buy some Adidas ltd. ed. Star Wars sneakers from. Sure, I got sneakers, but not the ones I ordered, they were knockoffs and they were sent from China. Be VERY cautious. I think the site was this one (it was a URL that could've been used by marketing to make the brand seem "hip") and, yup, even the footer ("Copyright © 2012 www.buyonlineasics.net. Powered by Asics Tiger "/"Copyright © 2012 Adidas Shoes. Powered by Adidas Trainers Designed by Adidas Originals UK") is eerily similar.

Stargate has great series endings.
Quick, the chevrons are closing!

So, is it worth $16?
After a very brief flick-through, seems like it might be alright. That could be just the fact that it's an anniversary issue though... there's reviews of some old games in there. Deus Ex, Portal, Morrowind. Not a heap, but a few. No idea if I could enjoy it post-special issue. And yeah, demo of Anno. Also, full version of the Global Agenda MMO. No idea if that's special or not.
I lucked out with the A&P, 12x500mL for $55 at Dan Murphy's from an old label, it's regularly $59. Buy one for $6.50, see what you think. They're really, really nice. Obviously, chilled is best. I had a bit last night, left the bottle open (duh), and even with the bottle open for 6-7 hours it still tasted fiiiiine. Pipsqueak is okay, but it's not as good a cider as LC's Pale Ale is a beer.
Yeah, Deadly Premonition was the one. So, that second EDF game is the action movie equivalent of that?
Would you pay $16 for Gears of War?
Global Agenda is free-to-play so you can download it on Steam. Although using the cover disc avoids using up some of your download quota. Are they reviews or opinion pieces on the old games? I really enjoy it when writers drop the pretence and editors agenda and just spews their heartfelt guts on the page. I'm sure if I didn't read RPS I would enjoy PC magazines more (also the PC build thread covers that need way better than magazines).
Would you put Pipsqueak ahead of 5 Grains and Strongbow?
2017 had more focus on the tropes like Mr Appleby said, I enjoyed EDF IArmageddon the same way I am enjoying RF Armageddon, some interesting ideas pulled together in such a 'cute' fashion I suppose is the nice way of saying it.

midonnay

stargate lost the magic to me when there was a season premiere that leaked without any of the special effects.....

was ... so....bad o.o

On EDF IA, IYO you think it's worth getting? Would it be worth me hunting down 2017 for shits and giggles as well? Deadly Premonition has been on the cards for a while as well. Shame it never got officially released here, I would've impulse bought it already if that were the case. As it isn't, it's a bit easier to hold off when it's bought online!

Edit: I've been a bit shit with reading comprehension today. Looks like I'll be diving in head-first into both EDF:IA and Space Marine. Like I need more shit to add to my backlog trololol

Deadly Premonition on 360 (Exclusive) for $24 from LOGS or $21 from Zavvi
RF Armageddon on PC from LOGS for $10
EDF Insect Armageddon on PS3 for $16 from LOGS
eBay has copies of EDF 2017 going for between $20-30

Edit #2: Appleby, I'd be wary of that first Asics site. It looks suspiciously similar to the one I tried to buy some Adidas ltd. ed. Star Wars sneakers from. Sure, I got sneakers, but not the ones I ordered, they were knockoffs and they were sent from China. Be VERY cautious. I think the site was this one (it was a URL that could've been used by marketing to make the brand seem "hip") and, yup, even the footer ("Copyright © 2012 www.buyonlineasics.net. Powered by Asics Tiger "/"Copyright © 2012 Adidas Shoes. Powered by Adidas Trainers Designed by Adidas Originals UK") is eerily similar.

ok no worries she's on some other site now i'll go check it out lol.

fake edit, she's on yoox.com which looks pretty legit to me, though i've never heard of them before.

Shaneus

Would you pay $16 for Gears of War?
Global Agenda is free-to-play so you can download it on Steam. Although using the cover disc avoids using up some of your download quota. Are they reviews or opinion pieces on the old games? I really enjoy it when writers drop the pretence and editors agenda and just spews their heartfelt guts on the page. I'm sure if I didn't read RPS I would enjoy PC magazines more (also the PC build thread covers that need way better than magazines).
Would you put Pipsqueak ahead of 5 Grains and Strongbow?
2017 had more focus on the tropes like Mr Appleby said, I enjoyed EDF IArmageddon the same way I am enjoying RF Armageddon, some interesting ideas pulled together in such a 'cute' fashion I suppose is the nice way of saying it.
I like these multi-question dealios. Saves multiquoting.

Probably not, actually. I never finished the first one. Hmmm. I kind of like the Warhammer IP more than Gears, though.
They have Doom, which obviously PCPP wasn't around to review at the time, but the other reviews mentioned what issue it appeared in, so I assume it's just lifted from the original article, complete with score.
I think I would. Lighter from memory and not as sweet, though I can't remember much about 5 Seeds or Strongbow, I tend to err on the side of caution with mass-produced ciders. Also prefer the lighter to the heavier ones like Rekorderlig, Bulmers/Magners etc. I remember not minding Mercury though, which, according to everything I've just mentioned, I shouldn't like. Stupid brain.
If that's the case on EDF IA, I might save my bucks and see if I can hunt down a cheap enough copy (I assume it's out of print) of 2017. Probably cost about the same and I bet I'd get more enjoyment out of it.

Cheers for your input! You're far too accommodating with your willingness to respond sometimes :)

Edit:

ok no worries she's on some other site now i'll go check it out lol.

fake edit, she's on yoox.com which looks pretty legit to me, though i've never heard of them before.
Glad. I thought she'd actually dropped some money on there. Just as well, I'd hate to think someone bought from a site that used a Hotmail address as their contact!
Yoox rings a bell, though. I can't vouch for it, but I have a feeling it's fine.

commissar

Got a huge bunch of strawberries at a fair. Half are now coated in chocolate :D

I need to get a candy thermometer though, as I couldn't temper the chocolate properly with the one I had.

Shaneus

I'm now sold on SM after reading this:
"They do not take cover, they do not hide behind things to take pot-shots at their enemies. In fact, when the going gets tough and you find yourself in a situation where you’re taking a beating and other games would want you to back away and cower behind something while you recover, we give you tools to become even more aggressive – using vicious execution moves to harvest enemies for health. This way you are never out of the battle; you fight until all your enemies are dead.

Fuck yeah. Being one of the people who had to replay a level in a FPS/3PS several times because I'd always run-and-gun, this sounds perfect. Off to the gifting thread!

legend166

about 1000 people at the mcg..... mostly wearing blue uniforms....

its like an indian home game :p

<----- part of the problem.

Having the opening ODI two days after the T20 at the same venue is the height of Cricket Australia stupidity.

Well, not the height. That comes later in the series because they haven't scheduled any of the India VS Sri Lanka games in Sydney or Melbourne, where the vast, vast majority of those two communities live.

Kritz

Banned
I don't think I ever did a EDF2017 review. Not on my site, anyway.

I highly recommend it as one of the last great local coop games. Well, the coop isn't that well featured, but

... something

All of the above questions answered in my edit. Whoops.

Yup.

Also, Wildgoose has been chief for how long? He's one of the few from Hyper who I remember being quite switched onand enjoyable. I've just had a quick flick through (only really picked it up on Gaz' recommendation), saw some of the articles and now feel a bit ashamed that I've been neglecting it for this long. While Hyper seemed to lose it's way, PCPP seems to have stuck it's ground from way back when Ben Mansill edited. They even kept the Quake ghoul logo for The Beast.

Is it still good? Has it always been and have I just been a bit shit?

It's been about a year or so since he's come back, iirc. Really great stuff since he's been back too.

Shaneus

It's been about a year or so since he's come back, iirc. Really great stuff since he's been back too.
Ah. You can say that objectively? I haven't kept up to date with it at all, I just know that a magazine would have to be far beyond average for me to warrant picking it up. I was just doing my bit for Aussie publishers by picking up the 200th issue ;)

Glad. I thought she'd actually dropped some money on there. Just as well, I'd hate to think someone bought from a site that used a Hotmail address as their contact!
Yoox rings a bell, though. I can't vouch for it, but I have a feeling it's fine.

inveterate bargain hunter + naive internet user. thanks for the heads up as I don't usually pay that much attention to where she's buying stuff from. thankfully it hasn't gotten us into trouble. yet.

Echoplx

I've got a bone to pick with 3choplox.

Stargate has great series endings.

Are you kidding?

SG1 ended with the Ori completely unresolved
Atlantis ended with the Wraith completely unresolved and they were in the wrong galaxy
Universe was alright, but we didn't get answers to ANYTHING

The movies kinda saved SG1 but it was too little too late.

Shaneus

inveterate bargain hunter + naive internet user. thanks for the heads up as I don't usually pay that much attention to where she's buying stuff from. thankfully it hasn't gotten us into trouble. yet.
Man, I'm as experienced as they come and I managed to get duped. Gots to be careful!

oipic

Picked the colour basically because it wasn't white and everyone had the white/red/blue ones. And the scheme reminded me of this (basically identical):
mGgSN.jpg

NICE. My brother made a Tamiya model of one of these years ago with similar livery. What a classic.

Timber fence the length of my (rather long) backyard just became a victim of the lusty winds here in Melbourne. Leaning heavily, but not quite down. Repair or replace? Thus begins delicate negotiations with the neighbour with whom I share it, I guess. :/

Still, I'm more upset about the play stopping in the cricket, I think.

I like these multi-question dealios. Saves multiquoting.

Probably not, actually. I never finished the first one. Hmmm. I kind of like the Warhammer IP more than Gears, though.

They have Doom, which obviously PCPP wasn't around to review at the time, but the other reviews mentioned what issue it appeared in, so I assume it's just lifted from the original article, complete with score.

I think I would. Lighter from memory and not as sweet, though I can't remember much about 5 Seeds or Strongbow, I tend to err on the side of caution with mass-produced ciders. Also prefer the lighter to the heavier ones like Rekorderlig, Bulmers/Magners etc. I remember not minding Mercury though, which, according to everything I've just mentioned, I shouldn't like. Stupid brain.

If that's the case on EDF IA, I might save my bucks and see if I can hunt down a cheap enough copy (I assume it's out of print) of 2017. Probably cost about the same and I bet I'd get more enjoyment out of it.
lol the Gears thing is a joke, THE joke about Space Marine. It is really good, if you like third person shooters that are focused more on melee and even more focused on being a killing machine tearing shit apart then you will love it. Production values are fantastic. AS AN ASIDE I do wish that cool stuff like the opening cinematic could be brought back in several times during a game fresh enough for it to have the same impact, it is a great way to break up the flow of the game in a positive manner and remove some of the repetition that comes with the play style.

I vaguely remember loving their Dark Reign and Total Annihilation reviews back in the day but it may have just been my childish mind. The last few issues I have picked up have left me with furrowed brow while reading the reviews. I remember a review for a mid-tier FPS that almost made me rip the magazine in half at the stupidity of the reviewer, can't recall their name though. It was enough for me not to buy it on a day when I was bored in a country town needing to find something to entertain me for an afternoon.

All right screw it, if it isn't raining next Friday I will grab a slab of Pipsqueak and see how I go. I remember enjoying Gaymers a few years back too but haven't seen any of it lately.

You can grab EDF 2017 from eBay for just over $20 it seems. I only rented it for a week from Blockbuster in Belmont, they sold it ex-rental for $20 ages ago now though.

Just about to go for a walk and it starts raining. Probably too hung over anyway.
Loooooooooooooove walking in light rain. Heavy rain is okay if I am wearing my Jeep jacket over a zip hoodie but I loved going for walks around the Deakin lakes when it was lightly raining.

fine fucking time for my mbp to decide to never want to charge its battery
Damn you Stargate fans get all the cool stuff, did he slip through before the chevrons closed?
manbearpig.jpg

EDIT: oh, that is less fun than before I had to leave the room before posting :( Also Apple users don't get computer problems apparently.
EDIT2: South Park up in this place!
EDIT3: Cricket is on? Also I can hook you up with a new fence super cheap, if you live in Warrnambool that is.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
We're having a Stargate love in?

Should I post my picture with most of the cast then?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If your MBP has decided to stop charging, it's fucked!

Actually it could just be the battery or the port is fucked in which case you will need a new logic board. If it's that and you don't have apple care and it's not under the 12 month warranty. It's probably going to cost you a house. So you're better off buying a new mbp anyway.

Yagharek

If your MBP has decided to stop charging, it's fucked!

Actually it could just be the battery or the port is fucked in which case you will need a new logic board. If it's that and you don't have apple care and it's not under the 12 month warranty. It's probably going to cost you a house. So you're better off buying a new mbp anyway.

Yeah, fuck buying new hw to replace something that should last more than 14 months. Who does that?
xbox owners

In any case we do have one of those JB warranties, seeing as Apple think they are a law unto themselves and have exempted their products from reasonable warranty claims on inherent flaws.

Never actually looked at laptops, what are the good brands? I hear nothing but problems for people who have macbooks for more than internet browsing.

Choose original res and full screen it and tell me it isn't amazing.
AMAZEBALLS I want every YouTube video at that resolution. The actual content didn't get me going though. Nice legs but boring overall, I usually enjoy the odd bit of kpop so I will just assume it was a meh music video.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yeah, fuck buying new hw to replace something that should last more than 14 months. Who does that?
xbox owners

In any case we do have one of those JB warranties, seeing as Apple think they are a law unto themselves and have exempted their products from reasonable warranty claims on inherent flaws.

In reality you should be fine. It's probably just the battery. If it still turns on and it's getting power from the cord then it's most likely not a logic board issue.

Yagharek

In reality you should be fine. It's probably just the battery. If it still turns on and it's getting power from the cord then it's most likely not a logic board issue.

I appreciate that. Most likely it should be (one would assume) a dead battery or power cable. It's done this once before, but that was due to lack of use and the battery went flat, requiring an SMC reset or whatever it's called. No dice this time I'm afraid.

The real problem is timing though. Got to find time to get it sorted whilst working all week (in Perth, where 60 minute travel time is 'quick'), and off on holidays for two weeks back to Tas. Then straight away heading across the state for two months. I really didnt need this to happen right now, seeing as using it for skype calls back home is the only real way to see my wife back home.

edit: ok, so battery diagnostic light (1 light) seems to indicate the battery is fine, so it's either going to be a bad charging cable or a bad charging port.

Never actually looked at laptops, what are the good brands? I hear nothing but problems for people who have macbooks for more than internet browsing.
I've always had good experiences with Asus laptops. They seem pretty well put together and reliable.

speaking of computer news, by old pc that still had a bunch of stuff on it died this morning. I'm not sure if i can be bothered getting it fixed or not

rass

edit: ok, so battery diagnostic light (1 light) seems to indicate the battery is fine, so it's either going to be a bad charging cable or a bad charging port.
probably the cable, the new L-design ones seem to fail easily reading the product reviews on Apple's website.
Have you tried running iStatPro or something to see what it says about the battery?

I replaced my early 2007 mbp (never had a real issue until October, superdrive failed) with a new one in October and since then I've had the logic board replaced and the charging cable replaced. $1,000 repairs on a 2 month old, $2,500 laptop. Pretty glad warranties exist.

Yagharek

probably the cable, the new L-design ones seem to fail easily reading the product reviews on Apple's website.
Have you tried running iStatPro or something to see what it says about the battery?

I replaced my early 2007 mbp (never had a real issue until October, superdrive failed) with a new one in October and since then I've had the logic board replaced and the charging cable replaced. $1,000 repairs on a 2 month old, $2,500 laptop. Pretty glad warranties exist.

iStatPro eh? I'll go test it out quickly.

Ive had a look just at the battery status and it says its good (though not charging). Only used ~64 cycles which is well below the threshold for apparent complaints about it. Updates in a moment...

edit: says battery is 95% healthy, so nothing wrong there assuming its accurate

Try plugging the HDD into another computer unless by died you meant the HDD died.

Also buy yourself a new PC as you deserve a new one.

I bought one a month or two ago. Its rad but I haven't got a good set up for gaming at the moment, its bring used mostly to watch stuff on, which I'm not at all complaining about.

And I think the hdd should be salvageable, pretty sure its died like this before and I think it was the ram that shat itself that time. I recognise the error sound when it boots up

Roger Waters oh my god Roger Waters. It was fucking amazing. If anyone gets the chance to see it (someone was going right?) fucking do it. Incredible show. I haven't seen any concert anything like it.
Yep. Saw it on Wednesday. Legendary 68year old rocker destroys audience. Granted, with that source material anyone could own a venue, but still.

Comfortably Numb was epically long but tragically too short. I could have listened to that all night and would have been ecstatic.

Top Bottom