• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

The amount of people getting PSN from Best Buy worries me that they might take the service away :(

I should buy some myself soon I'm going to need it for the Vita.

Pretty sure Best Buy were the ones that told them to use that address for International people so they would be more than pleased to be getting tons of orders.
Sony on the other hand might get a little cranky since people importing cards will be paying Sony less money by using the cheaper store.

Jogging is equal parts death and high.

Gone the ~8km round Lake Gender Bender here in the ACT yesterday and today.
I made it 2km before walking today.

The time spent jogging vs walking is at the best ratio it's ever been when I've tried running I believe which is weird because I'm probably the most unfit I've ever been. Definitely mind over body stuff. Starting to like the feeling of feeding off the pain haha.

Clipper

After learning about the Best Buy thing from the above posts, I was just about to buy an SEN card after figuring out how to do it (it's on the front page of bestbuy.com and you need to use a special billing address mentioned there) and was right at the submission page, when I remembered that the PS3 allows me to refill my US account's SEN wallet with an Aussie card anyway.

If only they also had electronic delivery of 3DS cards...

Jintor

Jogging is equal parts death and high.

Gone the ~8km round Lake Gender Bender here in the ACT yesterday and today.
I made it 2km before walking today.

The time spent jogging vs walking is at the best ratio it's ever been when I've tried running I believe which is weird because I'm probably the most unfit I've ever been. Definitely mind over body stuff. Starting to like the feeling of feeding off the pain haha.

I would feel a lot better about it if my knees didn't suck so much. Still gently working my way up the curve. Ran 20 min on Friday but had to stop and start a little :T

Choc

Banned
guys if you have an iphone or android get Couch25K

will have you running 5k's without breaking a sweat in 30 days if you follow it exactly (it does stop start walk - run lengthening each day etc)

I would feel a lot better about it if my knees didn't suck so much. Still gently working my way up the curve. Ran 20 min on Friday but had to stop and start a little :T

Considered an elliptical machine? Most of the exercise, none of the impact. A lot more expensive.

That Couch to 5k sounds great actually Choc.

My ankles (and calves) start out really tight but I think it's safe to presume that's from going from absolutely no exercise since April 2011 (the last time I tried running according to Nike+) to running and I didn't really stretch.

iirc it's inadvisable to stretch when you're completely cold no? Like you're supposed to warm up a little and then stretch.

Don't think I'll bother with a couchto5k program. I'm already running more than I'm walking for once and I can also do at least 3 times a week (which is what one of the couchto5k apps is recommending) so I'd be making less progress than what I currently am.
If in 30 days I still can't do 5km I'll give it a go.

Agyar

Jogging is equal parts boring and tedious. That said, C25K is a decent program if your fitness is completely lacking.

There's some people at work who focus entirely on long distance running for fitness. A few of them are training for a marathon but I couldn't think of anything worse. Running for four hours? No thank you.

These days I'm trying to do more high intensity interval training for cardio in between weights training.

Jintor

will have you running 5k's without breaking a sweat in 30 days if you follow it exactly (it does stop start walk - run lengthening each day etc)

I'm doing one but the time is about 2 months instead of one month.

Rest days are important choccers

Considered an elliptical machine? Most of the exercise, none of the impact. A lot more expensive.

Not really an option... no house room.

If anything I'd get a bike machine and plonk it in front of the TV...

Agyar

I'm doing one but the time is about 2 months instead of one month.

Rest days are important choccers

From memory C25K is three times per week. Also 30 minutes of jogging is probably sustainable for almost every day once your fitness is at a reasonable level.

Jogging is equal parts boring and tedious. That said, C25K is a decent program if your fitness is completely lacking.

There's some people at work who focus entirely on long distance running for fitness. A few of them are training for a marathon but I couldn't think of anything worse. Running for four hours? No thank you.

These days I'm trying to do more high intensity interval training for cardio in between weights training.
We have diametrically opposed views, we do. I can run for a long time and get lost in my own thoughts or a podcast. It's fantastic to do some exercise ad clear my mind or work things out in my head so that I can get them out of my head. Similarly, my preferred time to listed to podcasts is whilst running; I can really focus on what's being said, rather than zoning in and out if I listen to them when I'm working.

Doing weights or interval training? No thank you, good sir. Too much pain and focus is involved in those methods for me to really enjoy.

It's good that we don't enjoy the same activities, though. The last thing I need is more people running/walking on my footpaths and you have less people hogging the gyms.

We have an elliptical aimed at the TV. We also have an exercise bike that I insisted we buy as I hated elliptical machines. When I got over the bike we bought a decent elliptical for the wife.

I much prefer the elliptical now. The bike is in a corner waiting for a buyer.

Riding a real bike is different though. Looking to get back into that more.

hamchan

I just started doing the C25K program. I wish I had a proper running track near where I live but oh well, I just run around the neighborhood. I'm only worried that I'll get screwed up knees in the future. I also started doing interval training on the old exercise bike on off days and started doing more pushups, with the aim of doing 100 pushups eventually. The gym is a bit too expensive for me but I think these will do me for now.

Deeku

The only "exercise" I do is daily stretching, push ups/ sit ups and sometimes squats if I feel like it.

I should probably start running for fitness though.

legend166

My exercise regime at the moment is getting on the exercise bike a couple times a week and playing tennis and basketball on a weekly basis.

You like Mad Men? You like Archer? You like!

Perfect timing, just went for my first night walk last night. Might start getting up early in the morning and going for exercise rather than at night. I do miss my aural pleasure time.

Sitting on your arse and watching entertainment is dangerous and should be avoided. Just look at what happened to Abraham Lincoln.
Abe spent his off hours carving up zombies, what is your excuse?

"I think Anna Bligh has tickets on herself," Mr Abbott told reporters today.
lol, I haven't heard anyone say tickets for so long that I stopped saying it lest I confuse people.

Shaneus

Saying "Saying that everything is dangerous and should be avoided is dangerous and should be avoided" is dangerous and should be avoided. Just look at what happened to Planet_JASE.

He became dangerously awesome, irresistible to women and was bestowed riches beyond his imaginings?

No. No he didn't. He just continued to die a little bit more on the inside with every passing moment.

r1chard

+1 to this. I finished c25k a few months back and I'm fitter than I've ever been (this includes a year and half at a gym and then three years swimming.) I'm doing about 8-9k 3-5 times a week now and slowly building up to longer runs. I use Runkeeper (one of many similar apps) to keep track of running now - mostly for the timing and distance updates when out. It's also nice to see progress on the website.

Choc

Banned
Jogging is a drug. It can give you a massive high

Only a jogger knows the feeling

also podcasts make jogging a shit ton easier than it used to be.

Why sit around listening to a Podcast when you can be running?

Hey, what was your verdict on the most recent Archer?

4/5 - the focus on the classic cliche murder mystery meant the focus was off the character development and more about wacky, zany stuff that was a bit out of step with the usual Archer fare. Thankfully it was executed perfectly and the frame story is quite a nice little tip of the hat at how unimportant it is for the characters to ever bring the episodes to a proper conclusion (how the journey ends is not important, it is the journey itself which makes the show entertaining).

yTwwd.gif

Jogging is a drug. It can give you a massive high

Only a jogger knows the feeling

also podcasts make jogging a shit ton easier than it used to be.

Why sit around listening to a Podcast when you can be running?

Agreed. I can't ever listen to a podcast on a computer - I have to be doing something else, be it driving, walking, whatever. Don't know what it is, but I can't ever hold the attention needed to appreciated a podcast when I'm at my computer.

Jintor

Agreed. I can't ever listen to a podcast on a computer - I have to be doing something else, be it driving, walking, whatever. Don't know what it is, but I can't ever hold the attention needed to appreciated a podcast when I'm at my computer.

I can listen while drawing. That's about it, everything else requires too much concentration.

Also, cooking. Podcasts are perfect for cooking.

Shaneus

4/5 - the focus on the classic cliche murder mystery meant the focus was off the character development and more about wacky, zany stuff that was a bit out of step with the usual Archer fare. Thankfully it was executed perfectly and the frame story is quite a nice little tip of the hat at how unimportant it is for the characters to ever bring the episodes to a proper conclusion (how the journey ends is not important, it is the journey itself which makes the show entertaining).

yTwwd.gif
Fair call. Story-wise it was definitely a different direction, but I suppose that looking at it as somewhat non-canon (or at least, separate to any story arcs in play) then yeah, I guess it was okay! I'd have to watch it again, I think.

Like they've bought tickets to their own show.
two-tickets-tattoo.jpg

Fair call. Story-wise it was definitely a different direction, but I suppose that looking at it as somewhat non-canon (or at least, separate to any story arcs in play) then yeah, I guess it was okay! I'd have to watch it again, I think.
It is canon but throw away enough that it doesn't matter. They could do a call back on one thing that she says at the end, but it isn't proven one way or another so it is just another fallback just in case. Basically it was an excuse to do batshit stuff. Like this.

Hmfgo.gif

Bligh calling Newman a fucken nong will be checkmate.

I totally expect politics to turn into this by the time election week hits.

Danoss

Getting mine connected on March 1!
I was considering doing the same, though I don't believe they offer static IP as an option, so I won't be following through.

I have my fingers crossed that the reaming Telstra has coming to them for price gouging other ISPs ADSL connections trickles down to Internode and makes their plans cheaper. Now they've merged with iiNet I won't be holding my breath.

markot

Banned
Soooooooooooooo.

There was a big ass lightning strike right near my house that reset everything.

But I think it kafizzled my desktop >_>; I have a surge protecter, but I cant turn my dekstop on, everything else works, even crap that wasnt on my surge protected power board.

What do I do??????????????

Would replacing the PSU be enough if it is kaput?

To add insult to injury I checked my vodafone account bill, and I got charged 2+ bucks for a 4 second phone call to this 123 crap. And I was just wondering wtf 123 was so I called it cause it was on my stupid contacts >_<; WAS I TALKING TO THE QUEEN?!

Also nice God youve got there Legend! Lets just randomly throw trillions of volts of energy down at the ground randomly! THAT SHOULD BE FINE CANT SEE ANY PROBLEMS THERE GOD! YOUR AN IDEAS MAN!

Shaneus

It is canon but throw away enough that it doesn't matter. They could do a call back on one thing that she says at the end, but it isn't proven one way or another so it is just another fallback just in case. Basically it was an excuse to do batshit stuff. Like this.
Oh yeah, I knew it was canon, but it was like a side story, almost like.... eh... I dunno, like when a TV show does an entire episode on location. You know what I mean... I think.

Danoss

Sometimes your PSU needs a reset. Switch the PSU on your desktop off and remove the power cord. Plug the cord back in, turn it on and hit the power switch to boot it up. This usually does the trick.

If this doesn't work, repeat the same procedure with the surge protector. Again, if this fails, plug the PC directly into the wall and see if it boots. If all of these fail, you're likely to need a new PSU. If it smells funny inside your PC (burnt electronics has a very distinct smell), you're in trouble.

Omikron

Soooooooooooooo.

But I think it kafizzled my desktop >_>; I have a surge protecter, but I cant turn my dekstop on, everything else works, even crap that wasnt on my surge protected power board.

Would replacing the PSU be enough if it is kaput?

To add insult to injury I checked my vodafone account bill, and I got charged 2+ bucks for a 4 second phone call to this 123 crap. And I was just wondering wtf 123 was so I called it cause it was on my stupid contacts >_<; WAS I TALKING TO THE QUEEN?!

Also nice God youve got there Legend! Lets just randomly throw trillions of volts of energy down at the ground randomly! THAT SHOULD BE FINE CANT SEE ANY PROBLEMS THERE GOD! YOUR AN IDEAS MAN!

My guess is fried motherboard, happened to me during a freak storm years ago. Only way to know is test each part.

But I think it kafizzled my desktop <_<; I have a surge protecter, but I cant turn my dekstop on, everything else works, even crap that wasnt on my surge protected power board.
Unplug the desktop and leave it alone for 12 hours, and give it a go tomorrow. The motherboard and possibly other bits may have been fried even if it does go on and/or you replace the PSU.

Top Bottom