• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Omikron

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Windows_1.0_logo.svg

For some reason can't get it to embed using second apps. Windows 1 logo

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Windows_1.0_logo.svg

For some reason can't get it to embed using second apps. Windows 1 logo

Win 1.0 -
Windows_1.0_logo.jpg

Hell yeahs

Win 3.0 -
Windows_3.0_logo.svg

Win XP -
Microsoft_Windows_XP_Logo.svg

Win 8.0 -
Windows_8_Logo.svg

trinest

People complaining about the colors not that when your using it on Windows 8 they will change to suit your theme.

Also while it doesn't worry me, they might ad the colors in for the marketing.

Rahk

whats some great podcast i download guys, need some stuff to help take my mind off the exercise im doing

Some that haven't been mentioned:
Radiolab
Judge John Hodgman
Stop Podcasting Yourself

Also, for something slightly different, We're Alive. A zombie audio drama, which someone (Danoss?) mentioned on here a while back.

Jezabel

thanks for all the podcast suggestions guys, downloaded a bunch of them last night. Im excited to have something different to listen to than just music.

And of course i wake up today to no Surf :( bike ride and battlefield 3 it is

Jintor

Forget the podcasts themselves, what's a good program for keeping up to date with them and shit? iTunes for Windows sucks incredibly.

Jezabel

Forget the podcasts themselves, what's a good program for keeping up to date with them and shit? iTunes for Windows sucks incredibly.

yeah using Itunes seems incredibly finnicky, I just subscribed to all the podcast and hope they will auto download on release

Jintor

The autoupdate is so broken. I don't mind so much for stuff where I can manually redownload but for things like This American Life where they pretty much only have one ep up at a time it's really, really shit.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't believe skyrim or any other elder scrolls game is a game for me. I find it hard to continue playing and even harder to figure out why I should be doing things.

It isn't a loot game which baffles me a little bit. I don't understand why i'm always killing mages in random ass locations / dungeon things if they aren't going to drop anything interesting. What's the point? XP? Gold? It certainly isn't gear based and since the game is meant to scale, Why bother trying to actually level? Skills is probably the answer but as a mage, it's really fucking boring. (which could be why i'm not enjoying it, I'm tempted to restart but ack!)

At some points I don't mind the world but most of the time it just feels bland and empty. Enemies are for the most part the same, wolfs, mages, dudes with a sword, Repeated over 100 times. And killing them yields little to no reward as I mentioned before.

It just isn't my game but i can understand why it works for a lot of other people.

I totally should have gotten amaluaururur.

I don't believe skyrim or any other elder scrolls game is a game for me. I find it hard to continue playing and even harder to figure out why I should be doing things.

I think in Skyrim you're best off doing half a dozen of the biggest main quests instead of endless exploration and dungeon delving. The big questlines have you going into tons of dungeons anyway.

Rahk

It isn't a loot game which baffles me a little bit. I don't understand why i'm always killing mages in random ass locations / dungeon things if they aren't going to drop anything interesting. What's the point? XP? Gold? It certainly isn't gear based and since the game is meant to scale, Why bother trying to actually level? Skills is probably the answer but as a mage, it's really fucking boring. (which could be why i'm not enjoying it, I'm tempted to restart but ack!)
I guess you're meant to be playing for fun.

Perhaps you're right and the mage isn't for you, or maybe it's just the game in general. Maybe you need that endorphin rush from loot to enjoy RPGs after playing so much WoW.

I do agree that scaling is shit and levelling is kind of broken. Especially with the ability to train skills.

Deeku

Wtf I didn't know dhl delivers on weekends! Was a stealth delivery too since no one knocked:/

Dawwww, vita game cases are the cutest things ever!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I enjoyed the witcher 2 though, I loved that game. Same with alpha protocol, so I do love me a good rpg.

Skyrim just feels empty, pointless I guess. It is certainly an open game and you can play it however you want but usually there's an incentive to actually do something. Loot is one of those, in any other title I might see a dugeon and be like, oh I wonder what's in there and what could I pick up. In skyrim it's, hey a dungeon I reckon I'm going to find gold in skeleton bones (what), mages and the same old shit as always, books and gold. Plus random stuff that weighs too much so I can't take it with me and sell it.

It just lacks a basic direction or maybe I just havent found one, which is perfectly possible.

Danoss

I went for a motorcycle ride this morning with a friend of mine I used to work with a decade ago. He recently got his motorcycle license and we thought we'd catch up and go for a cruise through the Royal National Park. I hadn't been there before, but damn that is a fantastic ride. The twistys there are great to ride through, really a lot of fun.

We stopped somewhere in Stanwell Park and took in this breathtaking view whilst having some morning tea and a nice catch-up chat.

iLIG7.jpg

We might hit up the Old Road next time. They views aren't as nice, but the ride is quite good.

Kritz

Banned
I don't believe skyrim or any other elder scrolls game is a game for me.

I can sympathies with you if only because all the things you say are in the similar vein to all my complaints about WoW and loot driven games. I feel nothing from obtaining different coloured loot when it still does the same thing in the end but the name of it has a different colour or it has a different coloured particle effect to it.

It's like, you never see dudes in fantasy fiction like game of thrones or name of the wind or lord of the rings running up to every single dead orc they kill and robbing them of their worldly possessions. Like you don't just have this random minion wandering around with a sword that does +5 ice damage and makes the target bleed for five seconds, when none of the other swords from the same pack of orcs has anything like that.

Like, you still end up getting a sweet sword if you battle through a dungeon and kill the leader or boss or whatever. They'll almost always have a sword or a staff with some magic ability put into it. But it does get rendered useless for anyone who power games it and goes down the blacksmithing tree only to make the best item the game's ever seen within the span of five hours and never need another piece of loot again.

A lot of people get into Skyrim for no other reason than to look at pretty art and have a bit of a power fantasy. It's all story driven and is supposed to hinge on the player himself acting as this catalyst to save the world.

It's a first person shooter with swords. You have a weapon, a hundred bad guys and ten times that many as pallet swapped clones, and you're given an objective marker a metre behind the guy at the back with promise of a cutscene when you get there.

For all the loot amalur throws at me, I never feel like I'm actually getting anything different. I do a bit more damage, but by the time that accumulates I've already moved on to the next area where enemies have that much more health to their name than I have swords on my back.

It's the same thing dressed up different ways as far as I care to notice. It just seems like the games with coloured loot focus more on rubbing out quests to get more coloured loot, and the games with story focus more on trying to shoehorn in gameplay mechanics inbetween verbalised walls of text.

The point is, more games should be STALKER and Far Cry 2.

PC release of Alan Wake has given me a boost to finally give it an open minded shot.

It benefits from a MUCH wider FOV which helps greatly with the slightly off feeling I had moving around with Wake. Turns it into more of a third person adventure than the claustrophobic frustrationfest it was for me on 360. For some reason I couldn't get an action to bind to my side button on my mouse which I haven't come across in a game before, which is disappointing.
Looks fantastic on PC, even if the lip sync is still fucking laughable. Textures look great most of the time and the lighting is a highlight of the experience. Audio is incredible through my surround sound headphones and the great soundtrack helps keep that uneasy atmosphere going.
Runs like a dream at high settings on my 2500k and 460 at 1920x1080.

Still not a fan of the light/shoot combat. I really enjoy the exploration and tense moments when you are waiting for someone to spawn up and fuck you up.
Still love the hell out of the story involved in the game but still think they fucked it all up royally in telling it. They delivered the story in Max Payne 2 with the perfect amount of cliche and tongue-in-cheek joy, while Alan Wake Seems to ebb and flow, sometimes working perfectly with the gameplay mechanisms in place and at other times seeming contradictory.

The idea of locking away parts of the manuscript behind the hardest difficulty is so fucking stupid. The whole point of getting the whole story IS BECAUSE YOU CARE ABOUT STORY AS A REASON TO PLAY A GAME. So you lock that behind dealing with harder combat. PLEASE DO FUCKING NOT DO THIS GAME DEVELOPERS AS IT MEANS YOU ARE FORCING PEOPLE WHO PLAY FOR THE STORY TO GRIT THEIR TEETH AND BEAT THEIR HEAD AGAINST A WALL FOR A WEEK OR SO AS THEY REPEAT SHIT THEY MAY NOT LIKE ABOUT THE GAME IN ORDER TO GET THE FULL STORY. By all means, make the ending cinematic for the hardest difficulty a fun, alternative ending (like in Max Payne 2 you fucks, you already knew that! Why did you forget that?!?) but don't make it so playing on the NORMAL difficulty means you don't get the proper story. Why is it called NORMAL then? You didn't even put a note on there saying the proper way to play the game and enjoy the story (which you can't as you cannot take in the world around you while you worry about getting arse raped by a plume of black smoke) is to play on HARDCORE COMBAT DIFFICULTY. Asshats.

Great price though, highly recommend for $20 from GMG. If you like survival horror and Twin Peaks I would pick it up even if the combat isn't for you. Would greatly appreciate a new IP from Remedy.

Evl: I too don't care for the Bethesda games. Just feel empty and soulless to me. I played 100+ hours of Oblivion and 100+ hours of Fallout 3 but I can't remember enjoying myself at any point. It was just a nice time sink when I was a uni bum and was looking for an alternative to trawling Wikipedia all night.

That is where The Witcher 2 came as a great contrast. You lose the open world but are rewarded with a fun combat system along with a strong, driving story (even with the whimper in the final chapter). Playing as Geralt I wanted to push forward and reach his goals (that had been shaped by my reactions throughout the journey) rather than go from point A to point B like in Bethesda games.

Omikron

Evl: I too don't care for the Bethesda games. Just feel empty and soulless to me. I played 100+ hours of Oblivion and 100+ hours of Fallout 3 but I can't remember enjoying myself at any point. It was just a nice time sink when I was a uni bum and was looking for an alternative to trawling Wikipedia all night.

That is where The Witcher 2 came as a great contrast. You lose the open world but are rewarded with a fun combat system along with a strong, driving story (even with the whimper in the final chapter). Playing as Geralt I wanted to push forward and reach his goals (that had been shaped by my reactions throughout the journey) rather than go from point A to point B like in Bethesda games.

You played both Oblivion and Fallout for a combined 200+ hours and DIDN'T enjoy it ever?

Amazing

Abbott finding more than one woman to sleep with a year? Impressed.

You played both Oblivion and Fallout for a combined 200+ hours and DIDN'T enjoy it ever?

Amazing

Enjoy it? No.
Hate it? No.
It was an eh experience. Nothing got my blood pumping or got me on the edge of the seat. They would be great hangover games to lay on the couch and grind out.

Liam Neeson made me think I would find joy in Fallout 3. I was wrong.

Actually I lie, each game had a single whoa moment.
Stepping out of the sewer in Oblivion.
Stepping out of the vault in Fallout 3.

Sorry if spoilers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Reckoning demo was impressive. Keen to play more soon.

Also, I now has a PS3-compatible God Hand on my hard drive. Oh yes.

Axiom

Horror becomes much much more effective when you share a name with the lead character. There's an optional path I went down in Alan Wake that I never would have gone down if the the voice coming from that area had been pleading for Bob to help her.

The Reckoning demo was impressive. Keen to play more soon.

Also, I now has a PS3-compatible God Hand on my hard drive. Oh yes.

I picked up my copy from Video Ezy a few years back, they had a pile of them for $10 brand new. Still had them 12 months alter when I was in there (Belmont in Geelong).
I also grabbed MGS3: Subsistence from them ex-rental for $20 which made me giddy at the time as I only had OG MGS3.

I miss when video stores had great video game bargains. The clearance of ex-rental N64 and PSOne games was a fun time. Wish I could have been near one for the SNES clearance.

btw Salazar, where did you hear the rumour?
Been going around the traps since late last year.

They really need a optional way to make it digital for those people with iPads. My brothers text books are all on there.
Some places are doing it but some unis use custom textbooks to cut out the second hand and import market as that is a great source of income for lecturers.

Uni textbooks cost this semester if bought new: $511
Holy crap!

Commerce student. Some units were up to $300 worth of books, time by 4 = :(

Glad I finished my law units and only have Management left, which is cheap in comparison (like $120-40 per subject if only one book).

Salazar

btw Salazar, where did you hear the rumour?

It was in the Australian's profile of her.

And, cricket bat hands aside, she is too good looking for Brian Loughnane. For Abbott, too, obviously.

Some loon should just drop the bomb in Question Time. Would be epic.

Top Bottom