• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Well admittedly it's pretty close. There is just something awesome about wearing a toga.

Also, if it's any consolation huntsman's don't usually bite people. Just think about it this way - you can kill it on a whim. Don't do that BTW.
That's true :D

I'm not getting anywhere near that thing, much less engaging it in combat. As creepy as it was I'd rather be able to see it, but it's disappeared over night. Gonna be looking over my shoulder all weekend.

Wow a ton of mps jumped off the jg train after newspoll
I hope that's not true. By that I mean that I would prefer politicians to make their decisions based upon who they want leading the party, based off their leadership skills, the way they conduct themselves and their suitability to the role.

I know that at the end of the day, it all comes down to what the people want and this should inform their decision but... yeah. Politicians looking at polls to find out who they should vote for give me a mental image of contestants from The Price is Right looking helplessly at the audience to find out which order to place the products in.

"Swap? Swap? Ok, I'll change my decision."

Gah. Instead of betting on the outcome, we should all be putting money go into a pool that will be given to the politicians once they cut this shit out.

hamchan

Politicians are spineless. They'll pick whoever has the best chance to win the election and save their own seat (which is currently Rudd).

That $100 ($110) Double Fine Kickstarter tier is looking mighty tempting.

Also, I asked Rudd via Twitter last night if he can scull a beer on camera since that's how we break ties in Australia. No response; updates as they occur.

Jintor

I'm going to probably read The Bride Stripped Bare and then In the Name of the Wind next.

I read Hamlet yesterday and quite frankly Shakespeare is a pretty amusing kind of guy.

$100 pledge is looking even better :)
$110 you mean :) Best money I have spent all year has been these kickstarters. And The Witcher 2 on 360 of course.

Heard my first domestic a few doors down this morning. Living in suburbia is an over rated experience.
Hope it is a one off for you. Horrible living near that all the time.

So what book should I read next?
The_Last_Wish_2.jpg

tumblr_l5ldsiIhBX1qc30who1_500.jpg

(alternatively this cool looking Norwegian (I think?) edition)
Shiningnovel.jpg
King on form is incredible to read and the story behind each of his books are usually awesome.
It_cover.jpg

That dog/sheep/lion's face on the shining cover looks hilarious. He's so grumpy.

Currently reading this:

hiroshima-nagasaki.jpg

Its huge, but my god its interesting. Really really thorough and informative.

Kritz

Banned
AusGAF will be playing Serious Sam 3 tonight at 7:30PM. It's $10 on Steam for the weekend. It has 16 player coop. It will be crazy.

Fogz

Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Highly recommended.

Whole Mistborn Trilogy is $21.70 at http://www.bookdepository.com/Mistborn-Trilogy-Set-Brandon-Sanderson/9780765365439

You should probably read it.

Man, all of these sound great! I need to learn to speedread :/

I am currently reading Eisenhorn, starting to really like the Warhammer 40k universe even if I have no interest whatsoever in the tabletop game.

TT2oX.png

Zavvi/TheHut sale on again, this time 360 focused (although PS3 prices may be the same)
Some are cheaper at Zavvi, some at TheHut. Both have coupons that float around every now and then. Zavvi can bundle for cheaper postage, extra one pound per game at TheHut I think. I have included an extra pound in all the below prices anyway.

Final Fantasy XIIIIIIII-2 for $31 (TheHut)
Dark Souls for $24 (TheHut)
Bulletstorm for $10 (TheHut)
Resonance of Fate for $16 (TheHut)
Tony Hawk Shred WITH Fully Sick Skateboard Controller for $24 (Zavvi)
Shadows of teh Damned for $18 (Zavvi)
Binary Domain for $38 (Zavvi) FUTURE CULT CLASSIC
Dreamcast Collection (Crazy Taxi, Space Channel, Fishing, Sonic Adv) for $11 (LOGS)

Shaneus

H2G2_UK_front_cover.jpg

So, what have I done today?

Not slept.
Screwed up my laptop.

Pretty fucking productive so far :/ The laptop *may* be covered under warranty (it's imported, which is normally okay but it's also a refurb, which I suspect may make it not so. But, the issue was with IBM's/Lenovo's POS BIOS upgrade tool (there's a heap of people with exactly the same prob) so hopefully I can fanagle a warranty fix here in AU because it wasn't really caused by something I shouldn't have been doing. So I'm desktoppin' it up in this bitch for the time being) so the day may not be a total wash.

legend166

It seems like the standard pricing on the Australian Kindle Store is $14.27.

Compared to $8 in America. I hope someone will be able to gift for me.

That really sucks.

It seems like the standard pricing on the Australian Kindle Store is $14.27.

Compared to $8 in America. I hope someone will be able to gift for me.

That really sucks.

Can you make a US account and use a fake US address? That is what I did for the DD games I grab from Amazon from time to time.

Can you make a US account and use a fake US address? That is what I did for the DD games I grab from Amazon from time to time.
I'm fairly certain it doesn't work that way. Firstly, you have to register a country for your Kindle, and when you gift a book, you have to select which Kindle it is being sent to. Amazon then uses the regional setting for that Kindle to work out pricing and restrictions.

The difference with DD games is that you are not really allocating that CD Key to a physical product, you're taking it outside of their shop and using it elsewhere.

Edit: You can change your device settings to make it a US one, but it needs to be bonded to a US address, which may cause issues if you ever need to use the warranty on it.

oipic

Two recent reads, both highly recommended:

I've been spruiking Ready Player One heavily to anyone who will listen, and those who have humoured me and given it a go have loved it. It's my go-to birthday gift of choice recently.

(this is titled The Postmortal in some markets)

hamchan

Your Kindle has to be attached to your account. If I switch accounts I'll lose my books.
You can have multiple addresses on your amazon account I think. I have no problems switching to a US address when buying Kindle books from the US store then changing back to my Aus address if I want something from the Au store.

legend166

You can have multiple addresses on your amazon account I think. I have no problems switching to a US address when buying Kindle books from the US store then changing back to my Aus address if I want something from the Au store.

This will be the only way to do it, it seems.

I just tried my plan of:

- Create US account.
- Buy gift card from regular account, redeem on US account
- Use US account to gift book to regular account

Two problems:

- For some reason they wouldn't let me use the gift card funds on the book gift. EDIT: Scratch that, it just took some time to update.
- You can't redeem the book gift if it's not available in your region. They give you an option to exchange it for a gift card.

So now, I've got an $8 gift card on my regular account and an $8 gift card on this newly created Amazon account.

lol

What a day! Ron Gilbert & Tim Schafer school every game designer in the world on how to make entertaining confusion and how adventure games never died, along with the Idle Thumbs DOTAcast.

Why am I at work?

Power through this shit and grab some fancy beers for the DOTA cast time.

Salazar

Yesssssss, all my stuff has been despatched.

USPS tracking is solid: It said that they attempted delivery half an hour before I actually bought the jacket.

BdXQi.gif

Top Bottom