• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You should do the serrals stare with zelda, Not a dance.

Just have it sitting there as you swing around on your chair staring into oblivion.

Choc

Banned
THE sponsors of the Kyle and Jackie O show have raised serious concerns about Kyle Sandilands' behaviour after he called a female journalist a "fat slag" on air, threatened to "hunt her down" and made derogatory remarks about her hair and breasts.

After Jackie O told listeners that the article contained a picture of the reporter, Sandilands said: "You haven’t got that much titty to be wearing that low cut a blouse. Watch your mouth girl, or I will hunt you down."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ow/story-e6frfmqi-1226203165298#ixzz1eU3ZNjIX

Clipper

You should do the serrals stare with zelda, Not a dance.

Just have it sitting there as you swing around on your chair staring into oblivion.
I still think that spinning full circles in a swivel chair while holding the game at arm's length would be even better. Combines both videos into one...

Fredescu

Don't need a monitor, a keyboard and mouse would be nice but not essential. I'm in QLD (Brisbane)

Using Umart: http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

Base build:
1aX6f.png

Add $100 if you need an OS and can't get one cheaper via uni etc:
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=45&bid=2&sid=50676

Mouse and keyboard are fairly personal choices, so I didn't add them, but this mouse is pretty popular and cheap:
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=24&bid=2&sid=33191

If you don't need to add much else and you want a little more grunt, swap the video card out for this:
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=82&bid=2&sid=79348

Jintor

I've had the PortaPros. I've had four pairs of them, actually. As this might indicate, reliability is an issue - after about six months one earbud never fails to die. I can't speak for the others, but the Klipsch looks kinda cool.

Gazunta

I want details on each of these things.

What games? Link?

New Jeff Minter game? Should I buy that jumping goat one? I would only be interested if it isn't as hardcore as his other stuff (that you also love, but I struggle to get into :/).

Okay, so maybe two of them. But I'm glad you had an awesome birthday :)

The new Minter game is apparently his take on Caverns of Mars on the Atari 800. I've never played the original, but of course I look forward to seeing whatever he makes next.

Goat Up, the jumping goat game, is seriously one of the best platform games on the system. It's also nice and relaxing. I very much recommend it.

More negatives:

Gazunta completely ignored one of my posts today. Guess that since he's started getting more hits for his comic he has less time for Joe Public. Figures :( Which is a shame, because then he'd know about how Vodafone/3 users can get an extra 2gb on Dropbox. I don't know whether he's on that phone network or not (perhaps he should ask the person who takes his calls for him) but it could've been useful information... if he ever read anything I said :(
Whaaaaat, I'm sorry :(

My home mobiles are on Telstra and my work is on Virgin. Dagnabbit!! I don't even think I know anyone on Vodaphone or 3. I could really, really use some more space too for these books I'm doing :/

jambo

Happy Serious Sam 3 day guys! :D

Someone come and play co op with me (tonight...if it downloads by then)

I have it in my account, should be able to start the download when I get home and then play some after I get back from dinner.

Shaneus

Whaaaaat, I'm sorry :(
I knew that would get you reading it ;)

Goat Up was the one I was trying to think of. I've never bought one of those jumping games (other than some rocket bird one that was made by the Flick Kick guys) but anything crazy and retro I'll reach for over something doodly anyway.

Edit: Sega Soccer Slam is on XBLA? Is that a BC version of the original Xbox one? Who cares?!? It's 600msp! I bet it's not available in Australia, though :/

Quick question AusGAF:

I have recently cleaned up my house and have heaps of shit that I want to sell (mostly games and DVDs). Is ebay my only real option? I'd rather sell shit for cheap to people I know, but I don't know many gamers.

Any opinions on the best way to sell my stuff?

Danoss

I didn't say it was okay to manipulate a child's spine I just asked you to explain why there was no spine/brain relationship.

Bladder and bowel dysfunction. Cardiovascular disease. Deep Vein Thrombosis. Spasticity. Pneumonia. Heterotopic Ossification. Orthostatic Hypotension.
Funny how none of your examples demonstrate this. Which one of these disorders are a result of the injured spine having an impact on the brain itself? That's right, none!

Does that in any way seem like it could be possible? The spine, which was restricting blood flow to the brain or causing muscle tension that lead to headaches, was making it harder for someone to manage their ADHD.

No, it doesn't seem possible. If the quacks doing the "procedure" have found a relief for the disorder and miraculously can't get the attention of other scientists or members of the medical community to sit up and take notice, that speaks volumes to me.

Is there any evidence of such things other than the website that tells you it is? Here's an idea, go to websites dedicated to ADHD, with inputs by doctors and see if there is any suggestion of spinal maniplulationas a cure/relief/anything to help. Here's one: http://www.livingwithadhd.com.au/. You won't find any.

So your argument is physical injury doesn't cause chromosomal condition? Breakage of the back did not result in additional chromosome being developed?
That was an example. This was one of the early beliefs of Chiropractors and many believe it today. Stop cherry picking something and trying to base that in a summary of my "argument". For someone who claims they're not having a go, you sure are having a go. You wouldn't happen to be a Chiropractor would you?

Just to recap: My ADHD symptoms, while still there, were noticeably (not significantly) less annoying than before.

Totally subjective. He also mentions that his hips and shoulders were no longer at an angle. Was this measured before and after? I bet it wasn't.

ADHD shows up on an MRI, was that measured or observed before and after? Is it demonstrably repeatable by those who advocate this treatment, I doubt it.

The website where you go for information on this has absolutely no information of the sort. As a matter of interest, go there, here's the link. They say this is a condition in MOST people. Do you think someone outside of this group may have discovered it at some point? I certainly do. If this were true, at all, this would be a great medical breakthrough and also point to a major fault in our evolution. It would indicate that the human birth procedure is incorrect.

Since they claim this is caused by birth, I'd propose an experiment. I was born naturally, through the birth canal. My brother was born via C-section. Coincidentally, I have ADD and my brother does not (anecdotal evidence of their beliefs). I bet if my brother went to them and said he had ADD, they would confirm that his Atlas was out of alignment and attempt to fix it for a sum of $250. This will occur, because they will do this to anybody.

Another thing to point out. The person Shaneus went to see who practices these adjustments is also a Homeopath, to demonstrate how into real medicine she really is.

Also, here's the website of the company who created this whole thing. Notice the part of the page where it says "The non-medical AtlasPROfilax® method"? Rather interesting isn't it? They've been operating for 12 years and not a single doctor or scientist has taken notice.

The disclaimer on their website may be the reason:

"The AtlasPROfilax® method is no compensation for medical care or diagnostics. A current treatment by medic or traditional healer due to existing medical conditions must neither be interrupted nor terminated resp. a future treatment must not be postponed. The AtlasPROfilax® method is neither a diagnostic method nor a medical therapy, no diseases, no symptoms of diseases, no medical conditions and no sufferings are medicated."

I wonder why this is on their website. If it's not a medical treatment, than what is it? It couldn't be because it's absolute bullshit could it? I believe so and it's my right to. I choose to believe that this is nothing but money grabbing until proven otherwise.

Your counter argument is Spinal Injury has never caused or cured Downs Syndrome?
Again, it was an example.

If damage to the spine can cause all (but not limited to) the secondary issues that I listed above could you not reason that a spine that is misaligned could be restricting blood flow, putting pressure on nerves or causing stain on muscles?

Putting pressure on nerves, restricting blood flow and nerve signals to certain parts of the body? Yep, of course that happens.

However, in other areas that you think may be a possibility, you're putting the onus on me to point out how something doesn't occur. Unfortunately, the world of science says the onus is on you to prove that it does. You haven't provided one example that demonstrates an injured spine having an impact on the brain, only that the reverse occurs, which I have conceded is true, because it's obvious.

As much as this seems to bother you, I don't have to blindly believe that adjusting the Atlas is a cure for ailments, or that it is even a problem in the first place.

It's like a religious argument, you're demonstrating that I should believe something may occur because you think it's possible. I'm asking for proof, you're offering none at all.

Jintor

Huh. I used a steamlink to preload Arkham City and it looks like I might be able to decrypt the files now. Hmmm. Let's see if it hangs on 2%.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looks like the cheapest way to get hard drives at the moment is from the random external deals going on. Big W have 2TBs for $88 tomorrow and if the manufacturing date is something like 08/11 they are 7200rpm drives.

I'm really tempted to try and find two tomorrow night just so i can get my server up and running, maybe even more.

I did want to pick up 4x3TBs for 9TB of storage so I could just set it and forget it. 6TB might still do the job though for a year or so. And it's sounding like HDD prices won't drop for about that long.

Of course removing the drives from their external closure does void the warranty, So if they fail you are up shit creek.

legend166

Quick question AusGAF:

I have recently cleaned up my house and have heaps of shit that I want to sell (mostly games and DVDs). Is ebay my only real option? I'd rather sell shit for cheap to people I know, but I don't know many gamers.

Any opinions on the best way to sell my stuff?

Put a list up on here. People might buy them.

Fredescu

There aren't any kind of crazy sales going on at the moment I should know about?
The vendors with the best prices tend to have super low margins. So low that they tend not to spend money on things like decent websites and other marketing exercises. Loss leading doesn't seem to happen that much.

On the other side of the coin, the hard drive in that build was about half that price a few months ago. The flood in Thailand hit hard drive prices pretty hard. In fact, you're lucky that that particular drive is even in stock as availability is affected too. No one knows when this will be resolved, I think cookie was saying it might be years, so don't let that put you off.

Gazunta

Darn my choice of mobile phone providers, no 2Gb code for me :/

I will be in Sydney this weekend! What is there to do to kill time with family members.

Just with the external drives. You might have warranty issues unless you take the enclosures apart without damaging it and or breaking seals.

Darn my choice of mobile phone providers, no 2Gb code for me :/

I will be in Sydney this weekend! What is there to do to kill time with family members.

Option A: Kill Family Members then do whatever the hell you like
Option B: Kill Family Members but drag their corpses around Sydney in a hilarious bout of "Weekend at Bernie's"- style corpse desecration
Option C: Zoo, Harbour, Opera House, see a Play, Shops, Kinokuniya.
Option D: Lunch at Bather's Pavillion cafe and watch the ferries nearly collide

Shaneus

However, in other areas that you think may be a possibility, you're putting the onus on me to point out how something doesn't occur. Unfortunately, the world of science says the onus is on you to prove that it does. You haven't provided one example that demonstrates an injured spine having an impact on the brain, only that the reverse occurs, which I have conceded is true, because it's obvious.

As much as this seems to bother you, I don't have to blindly believe that adjusting the Atlas is a cure for ailments, or that it is even a problem in the first place.
You're not blindly believing it, though. I've offering first-hand experience of the treatment and you seem to be completely ignoring it, instead leaning on the fact that it's not a widely recognised treatment for anything, let alone ADHD. Jase is at least willing to consider that there may be more to the treatment than has been officially investigated, however you seem to be hell-bent on discrediting it as much as possible. Court cases often rely on the testimony of witnesses rather than solid evidence, you don't even seem to have that sort of flexibility.
Looks like the cheapest way to get hard drives at the moment is from the random external deals going on. Big W have 2TBs for $88 tomorrow and if the manufacturing date is something like 08/11 they are 7200rpm drives.

I'm really tempted to try and find two tomorrow night just so i can get my server up and running, maybe even more.

I did want to pick up 4x3TBs for 9TB of storage so I could just set it and forget it. 6TB might still do the job though for a year or so. And it's sounding like HDD prices won't drop for about that long.

Of course removing the drives from their external closure does void the warranty, So if they fail you are up shit creek.
I looked up prices earlier on drives, and holy hell are they still expensive... I'm sure when I last bought 4x2tb drives I paid around $200 for them. That was a while ago, too. But on the mention of the warranty, I remember reading somewhere that when lodging a warranty claim with a particular brand online (name escapes me, unfortunately) the website didn't actually register whether it was a drive with a caddy or not. Perhaps they depend on whether the serial number quoted is the one on the caddy or the one on the drive itself, if indeed there is a difference. Either way, look up to see if Seagate will do warranty returns on the bare drives in caddies. I have a feeling Whirlpool might know!

As it is, I'm just going to jump on the 1.5tb 2.5" drive, I think. I've never had that much storage available in such a convenient package before.

Kerrby

Banned
THE sponsors of the Kyle and Jackie O show have raised serious concerns about Kyle Sandilands' behaviour after he called a female journalist a "fat slag" on air, threatened to "hunt her down" and made derogatory remarks about her hair and breasts.

After Jackie O told listeners that the article contained a picture of the reporter, Sandilands said: "You haven’t got that much titty to be wearing that low cut a blouse. Watch your mouth girl, or I will hunt you down."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ow/story-e6frfmqi-1226203165298#ixzz1eU3ZNjIX

Who's the journalist and pics of said journalist?

jambo

Everyone joined the IRC and then left without saying a word =\

They're a luxury that don't really contribute to gaming performance. If you're building a gaming machine to a budget, they're an unnecessary expense. If the budget is more like $1800, then it starts to make sense.

They help with level loading, so you can brag about being in game first in BF3!

Fredescu

You don't think that faster loading of games, levels, textures and the like doesn't contribute to 'performance'?
Nope. The most pressing issue in video game performance is framerate. Starting up the game faster and shorter loading times are "nice" but not necessary. Most console ports already load too quickly to see the loading screen tips anyway. A faster videocard that gets you better framerate will allow your system to last longer without an upgrade. If you sacrifice the videocard for the SSD, in the future you will load up the game quickly only to find it unplayable.

Vita AU launch titles announced by the way

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
WipEout 2048
Reality Fighters
Little Deviants
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Everybody’s Golf
Escape Plan
Gravity Rush
Hustle Kings
MotorStorm RC
Top Darts
Super StarDust Delta
Should be a nice expensive launch for me.

I didn't know ozgameshop shipped from the UK. Waiting on packages is DEATH.
Usually takes 2 weeks, sometimes only one week to some capital cities.

So much potential DLC or modders brilliance

how the heck with that summary is it a 7/10
Dan Shoe Gears review.

Want to know teh congress approval rating in the US right now? 8%

The current approval rating for communism in the US right now? 9%

yep......
I like those odds!

Relentless negativity.
Thisisausgaf.gif

So tempted to record a vid of me dancing with Skyward Sword and post it on Kotaku.
Do it and put it up on twitter!

seriously Cod, go back and play AC1 (which is included free with the ps3 build) and tell me its not different :p
I loved AC1 but AC2 was a massive step up in every way. Polished the mechanics and formula up beautifully.

Echoplx

Why is Batman now blocked on the Australian Steam store? It comes up in search results but then you get an error message at the page

Nope. The most pressing issue in video game performance is framerate. Starting up the game faster and shorter loading times are "nice" but not necessary. Most console ports already load too quickly to see the loading screen tips anyway.
They do? I think I need a new computer. ;(

legend166

Oh yeah, more UNcharted 3 impressions:

You know what Naughty Dog is really, really good at? Putting incredibly frustrating, completely unfun, almost game breaking enemy encounters into the end of their games. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

End game spoilers:
Ok, so the entire shooting mechanics are cover based. So you get into cover, pop out and shoot some guys. Occasionally move around to get into better positions, or if the enemies are going to strafe you or whatever. This entire system breaks down entirely WHEN THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT CAN TELEPORT BEHIND YOU AND SHOOT YOU WITH A SHOTGUN IN THE BACK. I just can't contain my hatred at those guys with the flaming heads. On top of that, they give them about 5x the amount of health as all the other enemies. So I've got guys with really powerful guns, who can teleport around me, and then kill me with one shot. And then after the initial fight with flaming head guys, they make you do it after being made drowsy by some drugs. Holy crap.

I've figured out the one word I can use to describe all three Uncharted games - inconsistent. The highs are really high, but the lows are just frustratingly poor game design. It's like a Deus Ex: HR situation where they've outsourced the enemy encounters to another studio or something.

I'm gonna cross post this in the Uncharted OT because choc said it was a condition of getting that free copy.

hamchan

Oh yeah, more UNcharted 3 impressions:

You know what Naughty Dog is really, really good at? Putting incredibly frustrating, completely unfun, almost game breaking enemy encounters into the end of their games. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

End game spoilers:
Ok, so the entire shooting mechanics are cover based. So you get into cover, pop out and shoot some guys. Occasionally move around to get into better positions, or if the enemies are going to strafe you or whatever. This entire system breaks down entirely WHEN THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT CAN TELEPORT BEHIND YOU AND SHOOT YOU WITH A SHOTGUN IN THE BACK. I just can't contain my hatred at those guys with the flaming heads. On top of that, they give them about 5x the amount of health as all the other enemies. So I've got guys with really powerful guns, who can teleport around me, and then kill me with one shot. And then after the initial fight with flaming head guys, they make you do it after being made drowsy by some drugs. Holy crap.

I've figured out the one word I can use to describe all three Uncharted games - inconsistent. The highs are really high, but the lows are just frustratingly poor game design. It's like a Deus Ex: HR situation where they've outsourced the enemy encounters to another studio or something.

I'm gonna cross post this in the Uncharted OT because choc said it was a condition of getting that free copy.

Well to beat that specific encounter:
There are grenade launchers and sniper pistols all around the place that two shot those guys and make the battle really easy. Also you have to take care to only turn one enemy at a time into a fire head, otherwise you just have a bunch of assholes teleporting around that place. But yeah, they totally made another blue man enemy like the ones from Uncharted 2 that have a shitload of health but die quickly to very specific weapons. I don't know why they like to do that :-/

Top Bottom