• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Echoplx

I don't even know what's happening anymore, apparently I'm installing it but the game wasn't meant to be out here for another 2 days but I can't check becasue we don't have a store page :s

iDtGeZgP7JxJN.png

Kritz

Banned
Oh yeah, more UNcharted 3 impressions:

You know what Naughty Dog is really, really good at? Putting incredibly frustrating, completely unfun, almost game breaking enemy encounters into the end of their games. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

End game spoilers:
Ok, so the entire shooting mechanics are cover based. So you get into cover, pop out and shoot some guys. Occasionally move around to get into better positions, or if the enemies are going to strafe you or whatever. This entire system breaks down entirely WHEN THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT CAN TELEPORT BEHIND YOU AND SHOOT YOU WITH A SHOTGUN IN THE BACK. I just can't contain my hatred at those guys with the flaming heads. On top of that, they give them about 5x the amount of health as all the other enemies. So I've got guys with really powerful guns, who can teleport around me, and then kill me with one shot. And then after the initial fight with flaming head guys, they make you do it after being made drowsy by some drugs. Holy crap.

I've figured out the one word I can use to describe all three Uncharted games - inconsistent. The highs are really high, but the lows are just frustratingly poor game design. It's like a Deus Ex: HR situation where they've outsourced the enemy encounters to another studio or something.

I'm gonna cross post this in the Uncharted OT because choc said it was a condition of getting that free copy.

Regarding the thing you're having problems with if it's still a problem (no story spoilers):
each room with those enemies has a power weapon or two lying about. Just make a run for the grenade launchers to kill them. Pistols also work okay I think

I had exactly the same problem, and even though the solution isn't completely hard, it still is a pretty annoying part of the game.

Danoss

You're not blindly believing it, though.
Uhh, that's right. I never said I was.

I've offering first-hand experience of the treatment and you seem to be completely ignoring it, instead leaning on the fact that it's not a widely recognised treatment for anything, let alone ADHD.

So you're saying I should take anecdotal evidence as some sort of indicator that something works? This is exactly what these people use to sell people on it. What's a testimonial if not anecdotal evidence? How about some hard numbers or something to show that it works other than someone telling me it does?

Here's an example of a procedure that stemmed from anecdotal evidence. Based on such accounts of "first-hand experience", at the time I should believe that blowing tobacco smoke up the arse of a drowning man would revive them. It may sound funny now, but at the time it would be no different on what you are telling people. There is no proof that it works, just people telling you it does. The brain is an amazing thing, but it can be fooled in many ways. The placebo effect is well documented, though not fully understood. I believe this is what you have experienced, as do I for everyone else who espouses this treatment.

Jase is at least willing to consider that there may be more to the treatment than has been officially investigated, however you seem to be hell-bent on discrediting it as much as possible.

I don't have to believe anything of the sort and I should not be shot down or targeted because I refuse to accept such a thing.

I'm not hell-bent on discrediting it, though I am finding I have to defend what I believe. I have attempted to demonstrate why I believe what I do. Taking someones word for it just doesn't fly with me.

I was high once and saw a screaming Medusa head come flying at me once. If I swore blind to you that it happened and that there are weird Medusa heads flying around out there, would you believe me? No way. Should you? Not at all.

Someones experience is about the most unreliable thing out there. If it weren't for science, we would believe a lot of crazy crap.

Court cases often rely on the testimony of witnesses rather than solid evidence, you don't even seem to have that sort of flexibility.

Actually, if you read what I have been writing, I have exactly that sort of flexibility or mindset, rather. I don't just take someones word that something is true.

Edit: You'll also note that in court cases, the judge will instruct the jury not to take the persons word at face value. They stress very heavily that a persons recollection, especially a long time after the fact are notoriously unreliable. They will tell you that you may believe all of what they say, some of what they say, or none of it at all. This is all at the jurors discretion.

You only encounter a handful of those dudes Legend and they can be counteracted by putting a few shots into them and then making sure the final hit leaves you with a few bullets left to kill the second level of them.

Just get an SSD!
Agreed. Very happy with my m4 purchase. Everything loads instantly and transfers super fast. Plus less noise. Certainly the last point of call when upgrading a PC though, wouldn't have got one if I really was doing it hard and had to choose between a great graphics card and a great SSD.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
:(

Bought a roast chicken, a loaf of bread, and some cheese.

Was going to have the lunches of a king all week.

bit into some chicken, it went down the wrong way. now I'm vomming and can't eat :( it's sitting there staring at me... eat me nick.. eat me

A while ago, Kritz was poking around in his web-space and found some old AusGAF-related stuff. It stirred something, deep down in the cobwebs of my brain. A memory approaches from back in the AusGAF 2 days:

Choc, do you still have that RB3 keyboard you were going to sell me?

Choc

Banned
ank yes i do amazingly

also i can't believe i am the one to say this but we can just move on from this atlas thing. It's clearly causing tension and no matter what Shaneus says it seems people will disagree.

If its working for him, good, awesome who gives a fuck (except Shaneus). There is no need to continue to belittle each other for this and what headphones you buy.

Omikron

I don't even know what's happening anymore, apparently I'm installing it but the game wasn't meant to be out here for another 2 days but I can't check becasue we don't have a store page :s

iDtGeZgP7JxJN.png

Heh, doesn't even appear in the search anymore.

That download would be your pre-load one presumes.

Shaneus

Uhh, that's right. I never said I was.
Yeah, my mistake. Was at work, misread what you wrote.

So you're saying I should take anecdotal evidence as some sort of indicator that something works? This is exactly what these people use to sell people on it.
When it's first-hand, it should absolutely be taken into consideration. I have no agenda on this whatsoever, I was merely letting people know that there's a treatment that may help people. I made no mention of names of specific treatment methods until my third or fourth post on the matter.

What's a testimonial if not anecdotal evidence? How about some hard numbers or something to show that it works other than someone telling me it does?
Testimonials are usually solicited and used as a form of marketing. Like I said above, I have no agenda or reason to push people in a specific direction. I was just saying that if people are having issues with certain ailments or physical function that they look into having something done that they may not have considered.

Here's an example of a procedure that stemmed from anecdotal evidence. Based on such accounts of "first-hand experience", at the time I should believe that blowing tobacco smoke up the arse of a drowning man would revive them. It may sound funny now, but at the time it would be no different on what you are telling people. There is no proof that it works, just people telling you it does. The brain is an amazing thing, but it can be fooled in many ways. The placebo effect is well documented, though not fully understood. I believe this is what you have experienced, as do I for everyone else who espouses this treatment.
It's not placebo. Have I not mentioned that my posture has noticeably improved? I can stand in the mirror and observe that not only am I standing straighter, but my shoulders are now more in line than they've ever been in my entire life.
I don't have to believe anything of the sort and I should not be shot down or targeted because I refuse to accept such a thing.
Well, you're shooting me down by saying physical effects that I'm seeing are "placebo". You accuse me of lying, saying it's all in my head, you have every right to be attacked back.
I'm not hell-bent on discrediting it, though I am finding I have to defend what I believe. I have attempted to demonstrate why I believe what I do. Taking someones word for it just doesn't fly with me.
You're free to believe what you want, but I'm also free to state what I've gone through. If you're disputing that, then
I was high once and saw a screaming Medusa head come flying at me once. If I swore blind to you that it happened and that there are weird Medusa heads flying around out there, would you believe me? No way. Should you? Not at all.
You were high. That immediately puts doubt in one's head about the rest of your experience. What have I said that would make you doubt mine?
Actually, if you read what I have been writing, I have exactly that sort of flexibility or mindset, rather. I don't just take someones word that something is true.
Doesn't sound like it. I doubt I could find where you have given any of the statements I've made as to the benefits I've gone through any sort of leniency whatsoever. You may have said it as a side note, but it's been hidden away amongst the energy you've expelled trying to disprove what I've gone through.

Anyway...
YAgreed. Very happy with my m4 purchase. Everything loads instantly and transfers super fast. Plus less noise. Certainly the last point of call when upgrading a PC though, wouldn't have got one if I really was doing it hard and had to choose between a great graphics card and a great SSD.
I'm still not quite getting the performance I was expecting out of my SSD. I bought a 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 (with the Sandforce chipset) but it doesn't feel like it's much quicker than when I was running off a single 7200rpm 120gb WD SATA drive. Maybe I need a reinstall :/

How long until Windows 8 is out again?

legend166

This is why I hate posting in OTs.

Point out a frustrating area in a game? Well it's obviously because you have the IQ of a rat and just really suck at video games. It couldn't be that the area of the game is poorly designed. I've basically played video games my entire life. I've played all the games in the series. If I found it frustrating, people without that much experience will too.

hamchan

Point out a frustrating area in a game? Well it's obviously because you have the IQ of a rat and just really suck at video games. It couldn't be that the area of the game is poorly designed. I've basically played video games my entire life. I've played all the games in the series. If I found it frustrating, people without that much experience will too.

It's Jett and some random junior who replied to you. Fuck them, they're fucking assholes.

Oh yeah, more UNcharted 3 impressions:

You know what Naughty Dog is really, really good at? Putting incredibly frustrating, completely unfun, almost game breaking enemy encounters into the end of their games. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

End game spoilers:
Ok, so the entire shooting mechanics are cover based. So you get into cover, pop out and shoot some guys. Occasionally move around to get into better positions, or if the enemies are going to strafe you or whatever. This entire system breaks down entirely WHEN THERE ARE ENEMIES THAT CAN TELEPORT BEHIND YOU AND SHOOT YOU WITH A SHOTGUN IN THE BACK. I just can't contain my hatred at those guys with the flaming heads. On top of that, they give them about 5x the amount of health as all the other enemies. So I've got guys with really powerful guns, who can teleport around me, and then kill me with one shot. And then after the initial fight with flaming head guys, they make you do it after being made drowsy by some drugs. Holy crap.

I'm gonna cross post this in the Uncharted OT because choc said it was a condition of getting that free copy.

It's not Uncharted anymore. It's Uneven.

The game is padded out with badly put together shooting sections. The armoured guys with the shotguns pushing you out of cover while a sniper headshots you. Rinse and repeat.

hamchan

It's not Uncharted anymore. It's Uneven.

The game is padded out with badly put together shooting sections. The armoured guys with the shotguns pushing you out of cover while a sniper headshots you. Rinse and repeat.

Uncharted 2 also had the armour guys and snipers but no one complained about them. I think it's because they pretty much combined the highly annoying slippery, flanking enemies from Uncharted 1 with the variety enemies from Uncharted 2. I don't think it worked out too well, just made the game more frustrating if anything.

midonnay

witness testimony is the worst type of evidence....

If I'm going down for murder bring out the dna godamnit..... none of this picking out an asian person out of a lineup bullshit >_<

Which game, if I may ask? I pretty much ignore all negative comments that come from a source I know for a fact likes to troll or generally say unhelpful things... or if I think they have terrible taste.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
fairly sure we can but that restricts you to US servers

Yeah as Ham just said, nothing to worry about, all the good custom games are on NA, all the gaf activity is on the NA sever, and lag from us here to NA server is non existent bar normal levels.

Check your latest bill. They should have sent you a gift card.
I'd like to get my first bill :(

I havent had one for the 5 months I've been here.. I've told them this too.. and sigh. they're going to put 5 months in one bill aren't they,

I'd like to get my first bill :(

I havent had one for the 5 months I've been here.. I've told them this too.. and sigh. they're going to put 5 months in one bill aren't they,

Hmm I doubt they will give you a free gift card. It's probably a scheme for existing customers only.....but you can hope :p

Quickflix is super-fast. Ordered movies yesterday and they came in the post today.

Danoss

When it's first-hand, it should absolutely be taken into consideration.
Why should it? Perhaps you'll see my point why I don't think it should be taken to account a little further down.

It's not placebo. Have I not mentioned that my posture has noticeably improved? I can stand in the mirror and observe that not only am I standing straighter, but my shoulders are now more in line than they've ever been in my entire life.

How exactly does this disprove a placebo effect? You're telling me this is true, you're not saying "before this procedure, I would lean to the left by about 1.7 degrees and now this has been rectified and is no longer the case". Were before and after photos taken? What about X-Rays to show the change in bone structure?

This is information that should be extensively documented, not necessarily by you, but by the company which is making the claims that this does such things.

Well, you're shooting me down by saying physical effects that I'm seeing are "placebo". You accuse me of lying, saying it's all in my head, you have every right to be attacked back.

Well, since I don't believe the treatment actually does anything, why would I believe someone who has undergone it telling me it works?

I will note that I have not once called you a liar. I totally believe that you are experiencing what you have told us. I don't think it will be long-lasting since the placebo effect does eventually wear off.

As I have said, the brain is easily fooled. The placebo effect is well documented. People can get better from a sugar pill, it's a purely psychological effect. You are told you get better and so you do. People have even gotten better when they are told they are receiving the placebo.

You're free to believe what you want, but I'm also free to state what I've gone through. If you're disputing that, then

I never said you couldn't say what you've said. Everyone's getting hot under the collar about this. You said something worked for you, I don't believe it worked, the same as others have. Now you're all indignant.

You were high. That immediately puts doubt in one's head about the rest of your experience. What have I said that would make you doubt mine?

You're taking this far too personally. I don't believe the treatment is valid. It's naive to think that I believe what I do because I think what you're saying is untrue.

I have no doubt that there is something out there that some people believe that you don't. Let's use demonic possession as an example, I don't know what your stance is on this, but let's pretend you don't believe in such things.

Someone comes on this forums and says that their priest told them that demonic possession is the cause of a number of ailments and they can be cured of these things by a simple exorcism. They had the exorcism done and now they feel better. Their depression is gone, their shoulders feel lighter, they can think much more clearly, and their sleep is more restful.

You don't believe demonic possession exists and you think exorcism is a fraud, yet someone comes on this forum and tells you it worked, they feel better and that it may work for others. Should you take their word for it? They have first-hand experience of it, so it must be true, right?

Doesn't sound like it. I doubt I could find where you have given any of the statements I've made as to the benefits I've gone through any sort of leniency whatsoever. You may have said it as a side note, but it's been hidden away amongst the energy you've expelled trying to disprove what I've gone through.

I don't think you're getting it. I don't have to take your word for it. It really is that simple. I understand that what you're experiencing feels real to you, I'm not disputing that. I don't believe in the treatment, I don't have to.

I haven't been out to disprove anything, you should note. I initially said I don't believe it and have been subsequently jumped on by Planet_JASE, after which my defense of my belief and supporting argument has offended you.

midonnay

yeah, I was a member for about a year in Perth.

their actual service is decent if alittle overpriced but it was a bitch to cancel. Not that you shouldn't use the free service..... just may be waiting abit on the phone from my experience.

also I kept losing those fucking envelopes

Top Bottom