• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Omikron

because mario has a fucking stupid feature where you have to have gained 50 coins by the end of world 5 to progress

they have NEVER done that before and ist fucking annoying that it didnt tell me this.

I dont want to go back and go and find stupid coins, ther eisnt even 50 levels before that point so you have to go and find at least 2 per level

BS

why do that Miyamoto, WHY

Stars?

Deeku

Most players would have had enough coins by then really:/

And in 64/Galaxy, you need a minimum number of stars to progress so it's nothing new.

giri

because mario has a fucking stupid feature where you have to have gained 50 coins by the end of world 5 to progress

they have NEVER done that before and ist fucking annoying that it didnt tell me this.

I dont want to go back and go and find stupid coins, ther eisnt even 50 levels before that point so you have to go and find at least 2 per level

BS

To make sure you play all of his game?

Choc

Banned
Most players would have had enough coins by then really:/

And in Galaxy, you need a minimum number of stars to progress so it's nothing new.

it's new on a portable game, and when you get stuck in a game on a train you want to throw something, hard

and giri, why FORCE the player to play a game the way they want you to, its shithouse game design

Players should be able to experience the game the way they want. If they want to ignore coins, so be it.

That's GOOD game design. It gives FREEDOM. Something mario once had.

and i doubt most players will have 50 coins by then. Some of them are very difficult to find and like i said, you need to find 2 or more per level to reach 50 by the time you hit the castle. If it was something like 20, i could agree with that, 1 coin per level

its BS

Deeku

Getting 2 coins is easy, they're usually right in your face. It's getting all three that's tricky because the remaining one is sometimes hidden somewhere.

Maybe it's just how I play but I had no issue with it at all. I'm guessing you just jump your way through the level and blast through it as quickly as possible - which is not how you should play a 3d mario.

Shaneus

So, I never really liked Oblivion and Fallout 3 always looked a little boring from the screens. Will I like New Vegas at all?

Choc

Banned
Getting 2 coins is easy, they're usually right in your face. It's getting all three that's tricky because the remaining one is sometimes hidden somewhere.

Maybe it's just how I play but I had no issue with it at all. I'm guessing you just jump your way through the level and blast through it as quickly as possible - which is not how you should play a 3d mario.

and perhaps this is the problem. Its a melding of 2D and 3D mario and perhaps they should have left this side of the 3D mario alone

the game clearly is a mix of the two and for the most part does very well. I just think having artificial game lengthening things in a portable game is a very bad idea. Getting stuck in handheld games is bad.

giri

it's new on a portable game, and when you get stuck in a game on a train you want to throw something, hard

and giri, why FORCE the player to play a game the way they want you to, its shithouse game design

Players should be able to experience the game the way they want. If they want to ignore coins, so be it.

That's GOOD game design. It gives FREEDOM. Something mario once had.

and i doubt most players will have 50 coins by then. Some of them are very difficult to find and like i said, you need to find 2 or more per level to reach 50 by the time you hit the castle. If it was something like 20, i could agree with that, 1 coin per level

its BS

Yes, and No. You can play the game anyway you want, but the game they made is the one they want you to experience, and how that is presented to you is part of that experience.

Lets not make it out to be new or a revelation in games. Doom required you to get multiple different coloured keys to make sure you played the whole story/dungeon/area that they wanted you to experience.

The mechanisms for making sure you experience the whole game might be slightly different, but they're the same general idea.

So, I never really liked Oblivion and Fallout 3 always looked a little boring from the screens. Will I like New Vegas at all?

NFI but if you like SF more than fantasy you might like em. I only play a few RPG's and F3 and NV are great (NV better but buggier- don't know about now.)

Ozgameshop delivered my Zelda with the CD this morning. Listening to the CD while i work

wonzo

Banned
Unlike Oblivion and Fallout 3, New Vegas is actually a very good game with interesting and memorable characters. It's definitely worth checking out the DLC.

Kritz

Banned

Probably not, but NV is the best 3D Fallout game. It has a more interesting setting, better characters, a story that's still mostly as shit and the companions that follow you around are pretty sweet.

I say it's worth giving F:NV a shot, unless you're absolutely certain you'll hate it.

jambo

New Vegas is a lot more... well not linear, but the story is a lot more directed than Fallout 3. I also found the characters in New Vegas to be way better than the ones in Fallout 3 and the companions are awesome.

I poured about 37 hours in to the game, without any of the DLC. I'm going to go back to it at some point now that I have all of the DLC.

Also to get the game and all of the DLC costs about $20 at the moment on Steam, so just fucking go for it!

Deeku

and perhaps this is the problem. Its a melding of 2D and 3D mario and perhaps they should have left this side of the 3D mario alone

the game clearly is a mix of the two and for the most part does very well. I just think having artificial game lengthening things in a portable game is a very bad idea. Getting stuck in handheld games is bad.
Getting stuck in any game is bad, but I wouldn't say this is unfair or overly difficult.

Just go back and grab those coins! It takes like 2 minutes per level. You're missing out on a lot if you just stop at w5. You'll also miss out on more coin collecting!

So I'm looking at changing mobile carrier this weekend, to Telstra.

Which means I wanna get a new phone as well, haven't not paid much attention to mobile phones lately I'm wondering what the best ones out at the moment are?

Currently looking at the HTC and Samsung Galaxy 2 as a starting point but open to suggestions.

I actually finished the main story New Vegas, which I didn't in Oblivion or Fallout 3.

TjRiI.jpg

Didn't realise I had played it that much though!

Choc

Banned
Getting stuck in any game is bad, but I wouldn't say this is unfair or overly difficult.

Just go back and grab those coins! It takes like 2 minutes per level. You're missing out on a lot if you just stop at w5. You'll also miss out on more coin collecting!

i will deek and i will get over it but its annoying it didnt tell me

giri

So I'm looking at changing mobile carrier this weekend, to Telstra.

Which means I wanna get a new phone as well, haven't not paid much attention to mobile phones lately I'm wondering what the best ones out at the moment are?

Currently looking at the HTC and Samsung Galaxy 2 as a starting point but open to suggestions.

I've been waiting for Telstra to drop their S2 pricing for a while.

You can buy one from AU online stores (that are giving AU Warranties on the phones) like mobi city for $600 brand new. Which if you take out a BYO phone plan with telstra, add the cost of buying the phone out right, it works out to be a fair bit cheaper, than just getting the phone on a locked in 2 year contract.

All Comes down to if you can afford the S2 out right though i guess.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
One minute, Mario games are too easy. Make them harder.

Next, COINS ARE TOO HARD TO FIND.

Do you mean, mocha cream buns, or ...
Mock cream tastes fantastic, especially out of a can, but regret soon hits 10 minutes down the track once your stomach realises you have poisoned it.

BS

That is just the way that Nintendo design their games, I wouldn't expect them to change any time soon. They have had continual success with their templates for Mario/Zelda/Spinoffs so they have no reason to abandon the framework. I like the design of the worlds and the art but the gameplay of Nintendo games bore me a lot quicker than it should. Not a fault with them, just that I don't enjoy that type of experience any more. SS sure looks pretty though and I am looking forward to an eventual Dolphin run once it comes down in price.

Also to get the game and all of the DLC costs about $24 at the moment on Steam, so just fucking go for it!
Fuck. GOTY edition for $24 today, might as well bite rather than wait until February when it will be more expensive any way. Thanks for the heads up Jambo. No idea when I will get around to playing it.

I love my Galaxy S2 and haven't had any moments of wanting to change to another phone yet.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ausgafs hate for Spore angers me :(

I spent more time with Spore than any other game this generation (playing.. not watching)

Cowboy'd my way into the centre of the galaxy.

I've been waiting for Telstra to drop their S2 pricing for a while.

You can buy one from AU online stores (that are giving AU Warranties on the phones) like mobi city for $600 brand new. Which if you take out a BYO phone plan with telstra, add the cost of buying the phone out right, it works out to be a fair bit cheaper, than just getting the phone on a locked in 2 year contract.

All Comes down to if you can afford the S2 out right though i guess.

That's a good idea, I hadn't even thought about doing that.

Might have a look around tomorrow since looks like all sport is gonna be washed out.

Gazunta

All programmers look pissed off, ALL THE TIME.

Or maybe I just pissed them off a lot. Hmm.

I'm gonna have the house all to myself all next week! OMG GONNA PLAY ALL THE VIDEO GAMES.

I will just be drawing comics instead of playing video games

Yagharek

Looks like cave story 3d local release has been canned silently by good old scamco bandai, inheritor of the flame of So'l.

Imported it 5 minutes ago.

I got some. And then I remembered afterwards that EA are pretty banhappy, so I think I'm already dead

They're doing you a favour if they ban you. At least you know your xbox live account will be safe then.

Kritz

Banned
Zeno Clash has six reviews with an average score of 4.2/5. It has three 5/5 ratings, one 4/5 rating and two 3/5 ratings.

Fallout: New Vegas has thirteen reviews with an average score of 4.5/5. It has seven 5/5 ratings and four 4/5 ratings.

Bitch my charts be perfect.

Choc

Banned
Looks like cave story 3d local release has been canned silently by good old scamco bandai, inheritor of the flame of So'l.

Imported it 5 minutes ago.

They're doing you a favour if they ban you. At least you know your xbox live account will be safe then.

but dvd orchard has it in stock and its AU product

Rezbit

Zeno Clash has six reviews with an average score of 4.2/5. It has three 5/5 ratings, one 4/5 rating and two 3/5 ratings.

Fallout: New Vegas has thirteen reviews with an average score of 4.5/5. It has seven 5/5 ratings and four 4/5 ratings.

Bitch my charts be perfect.

Purchases confirmed.

Top Bottom