• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Silly chopl

Anyway, give me fantasy novel recommendations. Not ASOIAF, already read all of them. Hobb? I unno.

I really liked the Riftwar books set in the Empire of Kalawan, but there's only three of those and I've read all of them.

Here's a few to get you started!

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series 14 or so books, final volume to be released early next year. You've probably already read these :)

Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn series 3+ books, fantastic world building. Though Sanderson is one of my favourite authors so I might be biased.

Scott Lynch - The Gentlemen Bastard Sequence I really enjoyed book 1, I think he has published 2 so far. The first book was fantastic.

Joe Abercrombie - First Law Trilogy Loved these books (there are a couple more he has written set in the same world but I haven't read them yet). Very dark and funny.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen (10+ books) I've only read the first two books so far, very dense and can be hard to follow as the timeline tends to jumps around thousands of years at a time. Worth reading though if you don't mind concentrating!

Brent Week's Night Angel Trilogy Great fun, can be pretty dark at times.

Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle Good world building, a bit rapey though.

Also anything else by Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings is good as is Elantris.

Also everyone should read Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and know how great they are. Then you can be sad with me because he has Alzheimer's.

:(

I still hope that he will create a Discworld game with his daughter before he leaves us. Love the old Discworld games, would even take a Discworld Noir 2 if possible.

I've also started reading The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Those are some enjoyable books too.

They totally are. I'm working my way through Grave Peril at the moment (so I'm still just scratching the surface).

I've only read the first two, and I thought they were fucking terrible. I know they are meant to get better from book 3 onwards but I honestly couldn't take any more.

But just my opinion, different strokes!

Shaneus

Ugh, so finally The Oatmeal's black Friday sale kicks off, and of course after deliberating for fucking ages as to what I actually want, none of it has free shipping and I end up paying twice as much for postage. I mean, I'd love a Jesus Rollerskating Christ mug, but I'm not about to pay $25 for it.

PS. I think today is new The League day. No new Community, though.

Edit: FUCK no League today either. Damnit.

Jintor

Yeah, I already punched through two Dresden file books, just looking for a good ol' swords and sorcery break for the moment. Although I wouldn't be adverse to some more urban fantasy.

Yeah, I already punched through two Dresden file books, just looking for a good ol' swords and sorcery break for the moment. Although I wouldn't be adverse to some more urban fantasy.

You should try The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. Some liken him to GRRM (he is now where near as good though) so if you enjoy ASOIAF there is a good chance you'll enjoy it.

Glokta is one of my favourite characters ever :) Anyone else read them?

Danoss

From what I've heard, Jim Butcher wrote the first Dresden Files novel as his final thing when he was studying writing. For a new-ish writer, I can't fault him at all. I have enjoyed the first 3 books, perhaps more than most by the sounds of it. I'm looking forward to finish book 3 and begin on 4 to see what the fuss is all about.

Book 4 is when I'm told it gets considerably better (light words here, from what I hear). I look forward to finishing the 3rd book, so I can see what the fuss is all about. The universe he has set up is pretty cool and I'm sure he can do some really cool things with it.

Yagharek

Remember back around E3 2010 when Skyward Sword people were saying they wanted the whole world to feel like a dungeon/temple? ie with blurred lines between what constitutes a temple with keys and exploration and backtracking etc?

They delivered on that promise.

This is such a cool world to explore.

Jintor

Are those Feist books any good? The books look huuuge and I see a lot of people reading them.

Magician is amazing. The rest is good, but relies on you already knowing the world that they're set in. The exception is the Empire trilogy which he did with Jenny Wurtz, and his other short-story collaborative works which are also uniformly quite excellent.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
From what I've heard, Jim Butcher wrote the first Dresden Files novel as his final thing when he was studying writing. For a new-ish writer, I can't fault him at all. I have enjoyed the first 3 books, perhaps more than most by the sounds of it. I'm looking forward to finish book 3 and begin on 4 to see what the fuss is all about.

Book 4 is when I'm told it gets considerably better (light words here, from what I hear). I look forward to finishing the 3rd book, so I can see what the fuss is all about. The universe he has set up is pretty cool and I'm sure he can do some really cool things with it.

The end of book 3 is really crazy and the forth book and onwards is consistently very entertaining. Very good series, I need to get around to reading the latest - ghost story.

Jintor

Damn, if his first three Dresden books were student projects they're quite amazing then. Goddamn.

Seriously though, anybody know any more urban fantasy?

Remember back around E3 2010 when Skyward Sword people were saying they wanted the whole world to feel like a dungeon/temple? ie with blurred lines between what constitutes a temple with keys and exploration and backtracking etc?

They delivered on that promise.

This is such a cool world to explore.

So it is like an open world Zelda game? Sounds more like something I would be interested in.

Yagharek

So it is like an open world Zelda game? Sounds more like something I would be interested in.

Not open world in the sense of a GTA or TES game. You still have the overworld up in the clouds which serves as an ocean a la Wind Waker.
but with skydiving that outdoes crackdown basejumping

But when you head to the surface, it's a much more organic world. It feels a little bit like Metroid Prime I guess.

Shaneus

WHAAAT

I knew there was no Community this week (but forgot several times through the week so got disappointed all over again) but was not aware there was no new League.

Fuck Thanksgiving.
I know, but keep in mind only a few weeks ago we got two eps in one week, so... um... yay?

Oddly specific question, but has anyone else had issues connecting a Wii to a Samsung LED TV via component? Just bought the cables, but my TV won't show the image at all. It knows there's something plugged in because Component shows up in the source list. Also works fine on a different TV, so it's not the Wii/cable. Really frustrated here :(

Rezbit

BLUETONGUE!
Beer.

Very enjoyable while I'm trying to knock off this word count for NaNoWriMo. Even turned down going to see the Inbetweeners movie to be a nerd.

BLUETONGUE!
Beer.

Very enjoyable while I'm trying to knock off this word count for NaNoWriMo. Even turned down going to see the Inbetweeners movie to be a nerd.

Tried Bluetongue Ginger Beer? Was going through the Dan Murphy's catalogue (lol) today and they had like 6 different varieties of ginger beer. The only one of them I have had was this one which I wasn't a big fan of but everyone who tried it at the party I was at was like omgzdissewgud

That brings me back to an earlier (probably illogical) problem I have had before. Why should I drink that ginger beer when it is inferior to non-alcoholic ginger beer? Why should I drink rum and coke when it makes the coke taste shitter than normal? Iuno it's probably dumb but it's why I generally stick to things I can drink straight like beer, cider and scotch. I realise it's not practical to drink everything neat though.

Eragon is also a good book.

I especially enjoyed the bit where
I'm kidding, it's crap.

Agreed. It's great!

50/50 was a very nice movie.

BLUETONGUE!
Beer.

The best thing about Bluetongue is that it is non-offensive and is pretty cheap.

Well, they did have a thanksgiving episode. Jeff Goldblum AND Sarah Silverman? Damn. Ms. Silverman sexing it up was fucking incredible.

Hold on, brb.
This was the only time I could ever say her appearance didn't make me want to burn the appliance she was one. She was actually funny and hot. Hell froze over.

That brings me back to an earlier (probably illogical) problem I have had before. Why should I drink that ginger beer when it is inferior to non-alcoholic ginger beer? Why should I drink rum and coke when it makes the coke taste shitter than normal? Iuno it's probably dumb but it's why I generally stick to things I can drink straight like beer, cider and scotch. I realise it's not practical to drink everything neat though.
Scotch and coke tastes great with the right scotch and the right mix. I usually drink Makers Mark with about 40% coke when I want an easy drinking experience while I game (or whatever else it is that I splurged out on a good bottle). Otherwise with stuff like Southern/Douglas I will mix with like 70% coke as all I am looking for is the little peep of the scotch/rum/etc.

Rekordlig cider tastes amazing in several different flavours. Especially peach.

Rezbit

Tried Bluetongue Ginger Beer? Was going through the Dan Murphy's catalogue (lol) today and they had like 6 different varieties of ginger beer. The only one of them I have had was this one which I wasn't a big fan of but everyone who tried it at the party I was at was like omgzdissewgud

Nah not a huge ginger beer lover. I do know that Stones is straight arse though. Not even that cheap anymore, which used to be its main benefit.

Some people might call you a connoisseur you know! There is absolutely nothing wrong with drinking things neat. I mean I had a mate who wanted to add Coke to a glass of 18 year old Chivas when another mate gave us a special shout :|. Mixers are usually pretty terrible and I also steer clear of them. Like those cans of premixed whiskey and "cola"...*shudder*

It's not the price I'm worried about. It's my VC games and all my saves :(
Jeez I hadn't thought of that. Nintendo don't have a system in place for that kind of thing? Can you move everything onto an SD card or something?

http://www.news.com.au/national/sup...not-under-arrest/story-e6frfkvr-1226205953554

This seems bizarre. It's ok to bolt from police unless they have you arrested? What if they intend you arrest you? Does that count? Why would anyone bolt from the cops unless they are guilty? Seems so stupid.
That is fucked. Police should have the right to question who ever they want in that situation.

I think I have to send the whole console into them.
That is a very outdated procedure for them to have. Hopefully at no cost to you? I hear fantastic stories of customer service from the SNES era, wish the current manufacturers where half as nice as they were. I remember my mate getting his GameBoy replaced free of charge when his little brother threw it down some stairs.

In related news it sometimes takes up to 3 minutes for my controller to be recognised the 360. The proprietary system in the 360 must be dying.

Choc

Banned
27 coins end of world 2,

hmmm

edit: every state will change the law now re: runners

in NSW its now once again illegal to swear at cops after a judge said the law didnt cover it.

Shaneus

This was the only time I could ever say her appearance didn't make me want to burn the appliance she was one. She was actually funny and hot. Hell froze over.
I always find her ridiculously hot. Something about her eternally youthful, schoolgirlish Jewish looks that just slays me completely. Cute voice, too. And a potty mouth... rawr. But yeah, rarely hilarious.

Oh, something for y'all I came across from another forum:
PefYI.jpg

Yagharek

Zelda combat is really fucking good. Some of the standard enemies (not even mentioning the name here) really provide a damn good challenge on their own.

The bosses though, the one I just did was a fantastically paced battle.

Danoss

What time is 10am CST in USA here in Australia AEST, not QLD redneck time or WA may as well be another country time!?

3am Saturday.

I wouldn't stay up for it. This is a massive stress test, so expect major server instability and a number of issues.

markot

Banned
I get too frustrated at enemies.... So I end up WETRIWHERTIAOEWRHJTEAWRITH with my arm and that just doesnt work.... although sometimes it does if you get lucky >.<

I dont know, it just doesnt feel responsive enough.... and the enemies change their weapon block pattern to quick for how responsive it is >.>? Maybe I got a busted wiimote+?!

3 am >.<...... hmph. Thats too late!

Dead Man

http://www.news.com.au/national/sup...not-under-arrest/story-e6frfkvr-1226205953554

This seems bizarre. It's ok to bolt from police unless they have you arrested? What if they intend you arrest you? Does that count? Why would anyone bolt from the cops unless they are guilty? Seems so stupid.

I think it is just the natural extension of not having to speak to cops unless you are under arrest. But maybe that is only an American thing, TV has ruined me.

In other news, Skyrim barely chuggs along on my laptop :( I'll try a few tweaks, but I may have to wait to play until I finally get a real computer.

Yagharek

Um, Xbox Originals aren't fucking available in Australia anymore? AT ALL?!?

What the fuck is this shit?

Really? I'm guessing it's probably just the same as all the online support for them being dropped last year too. Too expensive for them to keep running (that's the excuse anyway, p2p is cheap).

I get too frustrated at enemies.... So I end up WETRIWHERTIAOEWRHJTEAWRITH with my arm and that just doesnt work.... although sometimes it does if you get lucky >.<

I dont know, it just doesnt feel responsive enough.... and the enemies change their weapon block pattern to quick for how responsive it is >.>? Maybe I got a busted wiimote+?!

3 am >.<...... hmph. Thats too late!

Side-step moar.

markot

Banned
Also those shrubbery dudes that shoot things at you are impossible to kill >.> I cant do a thing against them yet >.<

And they wear my shield down like a bitch!

When I was at the bazaar I was like 'potions? Lol!'

But in the field im like 'potions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >_<!'

Top Bottom