• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Obsidian game written by someone else? Kinda pointless.
I think it will turn out fantastic but will have bomba sales. Not much of a cross over market.

A previous disappointing aspect of a previous game in the franchise handled by a seperate division of the same company that is mentioned by the current team merits no mention in a preview?

Work your way through that logic!
The preview shouldn't be relating to an unrelated game though. Bioshock Infinite is not Bioshock 3. It was in a little box which amounted to HYPER's view on the game, "The multiplayer mode in BioShock 2 was a failure and Ken Levine will make sure it never happens again." Hard to tell if that means that Infinite contains MP but will be better because Ken would never let it be a failure or if it means that Ken failed the first time and won't fail again or if it means that Bioshock 2 wasn't even made by Ken. The 3rd is the correct assumption but not the easiest to draw unless you look into the developement of the games yourself. At which point it becomes confusing as to why HYPER would think that saying that to someone who already knows Ken had nothing to do with Bioshock 2 that Infinite won't turn out like the MP mode of Bioshock 2.

It just seemed very lazy. Could have just said, "Everything looks stunning and will be a reminder of the brilliance of System Shock 2 and Bioshock".

Jintor i agree that swearing in a review makes the publication seem immature
It was more the stupidity of its use in the format of the review. "Statistically, the odds that you don't give a shit about the campaign are surprisingly high." So that excuses the previous few paragraphs that sound like the reviewer looked up the games wiki/metacritic pages and called it a day? If people don't give a shit why not separate the review like RPS usually do (not going to get into why they didn't for MW3) or at least explain why ALL the screenshots were from the campaign, which statistically no one gives a shit about, rather than the multiplayer.

Also who says 'shit yeah' moments? Should be 'fuck yes!' but 'hell yes' is a worthy replacement when you want to be half way professional.

Just got this in the mail:
Very happy with it :)
Oh Shit! It's a camera that you got in the mail right?! My money is with Pacsha!

Jintor

The preview shouldn't be relating to an unrelated game though. Bioshock Infinite is not Bioshock 3. It was in a little box which amounted to HYPER's view on the game, "The multiplayer mode in BioShock 2 was a failure and Ken Levine will make sure it never happens again." Hard to tell if that means that Infinite contains MP but will be better because Ken would never let it be a failure or if it means that Ken failed the first time and won't fail again or if it means that Bioshock 2 wasn't even made by Ken. The 3rd is the correct assumption but not the easiest to draw unless you look into the developement of the games yourself. At which point it becomes confusing as to why HYPER would think that saying that to someone who already knows Ken had nothing to do with Bioshock 2 that Infinite won't turn out like the MP mode of Bioshock 2.

It just seemed very lazy. Could have just said, "Everything looks stunning and will be a reminder of the brilliance of System Shock 2 and Bioshock".

Bioshock Infinite may not be Bioshock 3, but it's sure as hell Bioshock and the applicability of the existance of a MP mode is relevant information, especially when they came right out and made a statement based on it. Additionally, the second box is Hyper's interpretation of the statement in a humour context.

Re review formats, the simple answer is that a magazine format is simply not as flexible in terms of space that can be devoted to reviews. Screenshots for console games are almost always sourced from press materials, though I have no idea what James played it on.

To be honest, PCPP might be more to your liking. Or maybe not, it's hard to tell!

legend166

Well, you can get it while at uni too depending on age and living circumstances/parent's income.

Yeah, I knew that. But getting the dole after 7 days of unemployment whilst living at home is a tad silly.

And by a 'tad silly', I mean 'this country has too much middle class welfare'.

markot

Banned
Yeah, I knew that. But getting the dole after 7 days of unemployment whilst living at home is a tad silly.

Durp? Australia has some of the lowest unemployment benefits in the OECD.

To be honest, PCPP might be more to your liking. Or maybe not, it's hard to tell!
Discovered that I don't enjoy it even though I subscribed as a kid.

Just a bit annoyed because the Japan issue of Hyper seemed to be full of colourful, charismatic opinions and I found the latest issue pretty bland, face value stuff (expect for the pretty wonderful Nintendo coverage). Not asking for hard hitting journalism but I found a lot of the writing to be confusing as to what they were trying to get across or maybe it was just trying to reach every audience a little bit each. That Pixel Tie looks pretty cool though.

Agyar

What has "middle-class welfare" got to with unemployment benefits? Way to get all Today Tonight on us.

giri

So I was sorta shocked to find out you can basically get straight on the dole straight out of uni if you don't get a job right away. Even if you're living at home.

I know someone who finished uni a week ago, lives at home and is already getting payments from the government.

What is this sorcery.

I know i did. I was a full time student and couldn't get a dime while at uni, nothing, nada, not a single drop.

Took a 3 month vacation on state money!

Jintor

Discovered that I don't enjoy it even though I subscribed as a kid.

Just a bit annoyed because the Japan issue of Hyper seemed to be full of colourful, charismatic opinions and I found the latest issue pretty bland, face value stuff (expect for the pretty wonderful Nintendo coverage). Not asking for hard hitting journalism but I found a lot of the writing to be confusing as to what they were trying to get across or maybe it was just trying to reach every audience a little bit each. That Pixel Tie looks pretty cool though.

It's probably because the Japan issue had a different mandate free from the traditional preview/review cycle. (For the record my article in the Japan issue was crap, I didn't have enough time or space to talk about it properly).

markot

Banned
WAIT!

If you get the 189 3ds, + a game, you get 20 off if you use paypal, so thats like 20 bucks off any game you want!

So since Half Life 3 is about to be announced we should share our favourite Half Life moment.

Mine for me is the first time you are ambushed by the Marines in the original Half Life. Huge change in aesthetics as well as gameplay style from the headcrabs and aliens. They felt like professional soldiers compared to the sloppy, frantic attacks of the alien invaders. Was a watershed moment for me in terms of enemy AI perfectly in sync with the atmosphere created. The previously leisurely out door areas where you could scope out the invaders from a distance and casually plan your approach were changed into a tense sprint between cover hoping that a trigger happy marine wasn't waiting around the corner. The return to an indoors path allowed a breath of relief that you only had to deal with what was in front of you, not all around.

So good.

disclaimer. Half Life 3 is never coming out :(

hamchan

Has anyone read Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami? I just finished it and it's one ofthe weirdest book I've ever read.

Jintor

So since Half Life 3 is about to be announced we should share our favourite Half Life moment.

Mine for me is the first time you are ambushed by the Marines in the original Half Life. Huge change in aesthetics as well as gameplay style from the headcrabs and aliens. They felt like professional soldiers compared to the sloppy, frantic attacks of the alien invaders. Was a watershed moment for me in terms of enemy AI perfectly in sync with the atmosphere created. The previously leisurely out door areas where you could scope out the invaders from a distance and casually plan your approach were changed into a tense sprint between cover hoping that a trigger happy marine wasn't waiting around the corner. The return to an indoors path allowed a breath of relief that you only had to deal with what was in front of you, not all around.

So good.

disclaimer. Half Life 3 is never coming out :(

Fuckin' Black Mesa Source going the way of Team Fortress 2- I mean, Duke Nukem Forever- I mean... uh... Half Life 3.

WAIT!

If you get the 189 3ds, + a game, you get 20 off if you use paypal, so thats like 20 bucks off any game you want!

I love how half the 3DS games on the site are figurines for Skylanders. Too bad Zelda is sold out online otherwise you could get it for $30 after cashback.

Is an Aussie 3DS able to play UK games?

Fuckin' Black Mesa Source going the way of Team Fortress 2- I mean, Duke Nukem Forever- I mean... uh... Half Life 3.
Oh! I totally forgot BMS existed, lol. Better see if there is a trail of life still. Looked friggin awesome this time last year when they put that trailer out.
Edit: WAIT REALLY? 2008 WAS THE TRAILER?

Deeku

Hummm, I'm really tempted to jump on that 3DS dealio. I'm not liking the fact that I need to import every game I want for my US 3ds, and not being able to pick up random bargains locally. I'd sell my US 3ds but then I won't get those gba games:/

Hummm, I'm really tempted to jump on that 3DS dealio. I'm not liking the fact that I need to import every game I want for my US 3ds, and not being able to pick up random bargains locally. I'd sell my US 3ds but then I won't get those gba games:/

Clipper might have a good idea on a cheap way to grab a heap of US 3DS games through Amazon. Might have been better to look during Black Sunday deals though.

markot

Banned
Maybe you can transfer them and then you can get a pal one!

Rezbit

$189 is pretty good for a 3DS. I bought it at launch for about $90 more than that (mind you it did have Rayman, as sloppy port job as it is). I really like the unit but it suffered from lack of games at launch and immediately after, and features not available which should have been. Finally seems to be hitting its straps with Mario 3D and Kart (community feature looks great in this...anyone up for an AusGAF community?). Also Ocarina is just fantastic. Really enjoyed playing through it again. Best 3D I've seen on the system thus far.

Still waiting on those GBA games damn it!

Choc

Banned

We barely do enough for the unemployed you want crazy welfare look at uk. You do know you need money to look for a job right......

Courtesy of Nick Breckon: Karl Pilkington in Skyrim. I want this to be modded so badly.

Fuckin amazing the best video I ages. I want this noooooow

Deeku

I think Clipper's method is to wait and order a couple of games together which makes shipping cheaper, but I can't wait!

Transferring the gba/vc games is an option, but then again, they might be region locked.

Maybe I'll just hold off for a bit longer and get the 3ds revision locally. I'm not seeing that many games I want in the near future. I'm just annoyed that I have to pay 65 bucks to import Mario Kart (and Mario 3ds from a few weeks ago) when I could have strolled into JB or something and got it for 50. Damn region locking!

And yeah, I heard about that MK7 community feature on the bombcast. Someone get onto that!

Rezbit

I think Clipper's method is to wait and order a couple of games together which makes shipping cheaper, but I can't wait!

Transferring the gba/vc games is an option, but then again, they might be region locked.

Maybe I'll just hold off for a bit longer and get the 3ds revision locally. I'm not seeing that many games I want in the near future. I'm just annoyed that I have to pay 65 bucks to import Mario Kart (and Mario 3ds from a few weeks ago) when I could have strolled into JB or something and got it for 50. Damn region locking!

And yeah, I heard about that MK7 community feature on the bombcast. Someone get onto that!

Damn!! $65? That sucks deek. The best thing about 3DS games are that you can guaranteed get them for around $50 when they come out. I suppose being retail at US$40 makes it difficult to get the same price with shipping.

Shaneus

Know what I love? Ordering something, expecting shipping to take ages due to the site's own admission, along with having a big sale... only to get said items by the end of the week.

Know what else I love? Exquisitely produced electronica coupled with ridiculously cheap (but awesome) in-ear buds and a cheap (but more than adequate) headphone amp. It's aurgasmic.

Seriously, if you have access to a lazy $100 and value the satisfaction of your ear holes, you owe it to yourself to get those buds and that amp (or similar). Everything I've listened to since I got it just sounds fucking amazing.

BTW I know that Logitech have really absurd RRPs, but the amount saved on the Logitechship site can't be too far off. The price on Amazon is $35 more expensive, and that's in USD without any shipping.

Deeku

Shaneus I ended up picking up 2 packs of the UE200 and they are average sound quality but for $6 I am over the moon as they are likely to get damaged on my way to and from work like all my others. Sound quality is good enough for the 10 minute walk to/from work. Should work well on my night out in Melbourne too, if I lose them then I won't mind too much!

Although I paid $45 for my G400 from LogitechShop and now it is $28 everywhere :(

You sonofabiiiiiiitch. The Spider-Man table doesn't seem completely out of my reach...I am very scared of what awaits me when I open up the paranormal one.
I think it's mainly because your Paranormal score is sub-your usual scores.

But yeah I am completely the same. I have no real idea of WTF I'm doing or what anything really means, especially when things get hectic. I just try and rely on reflexes :p
The problem with the newer tables is that they are so busy it makes it hard to tell the difference between normal flashing and hit-this-bumper-or-ramp-flashing. That's why I like the Paranormal table... it be simple.

just removed my credit cards from live

that was a lot more painful than it needs to be Microsoft
Any particular reason? Are bad things afoot with Live?

mvdpk.jpg

is this real? o.o
I'm going to say no. The shadow depth on the toad doesn't look right. The shadow on the ground doesn't seem consistent and it generally looks a bit off. Sauce?

BTW How are you guys comparing scores... friends on Gamecenter? Add me. I have no friends.
... join us ... join us ... join us ... join us ... join us ... join us ... joooooooiiiiinn uuuuusssssss ...

Shaneus

Shaneus I ended up picking up 2 packs of the UE200 and they are average sound quality but for $6 I am over the moon as they are likely to get damaged on my way to and from work like all my others. Sound quality is good enough for the 10 minute walk to/from work. Should work well on my night out in Melbourne too, if I lose them then I won't mind too much!

Although I paid $45 for my G400 from LogitechShop and now it is $28 everywhere :(
If you get some spare cashola, I'd strongly recommend the UE700s at $99. You'd probably need an E1 or similar amp to get the most out of them though. AND they have two drivers in each. WHERE THE FUCK DO THEY PUT THEM? WHAT VOODOO TRICKERY IS THIS?!?

Also, got my G510 keyboard, too. Keys are a bit squishier than was expected, and there's a decent-sized white mark (that looks like it came from when it was molded on the lower-right hand corner. Sucks, but I'll have to see what LS are like with returns ie. whether they're cunts or not.

... join us ... join us ... join us ... join us ... join us ... join us ... joooooooiiiiinn uuuuusssssss ...
On what... XBLA? Fuck that. I only compete on arcade proven, *licensed* tables. Fuck this non-Williams shit.

Sonic 2 free on PSN+. Been too long, will have to have a session tomorrow. Also a PSOne bundle of Tekken and RR Type 4 for $11. Gimme gimme. Will have to grab Tekken 3 for next time my sister is visiting.

PSN store is a fucking joy to use too. Laid out so much better than the 360. I can quickly see what is PSN+ this week, what is new in the store, what is on special and what has had a recent price drop. Improved out of sight over the years.

Just going through the Tank missions in BF3. Got hit with a bug but it was pretty cool. Bit boring but looks great graphically.

FIFA hack
Got an email from PopCap today about having to agree to the EA terms of service. So now I have ANOTHER avenue to be hacked from to get into my EA account to get into my XBL account. Yay!

midonnay

I'm going to say no. The shadow depth on the toad doesn't look right. The shadow on the ground doesn't seem consistent and it generally looks a bit off. Sauce?

dunno the source....

was watching this cane toad doco and did some random googling afterwards and was like "Mother of God...."

Jintor

Fuck yeah, got that Wiimote working with my PC. THE STUPID AMOUNT OF MONEY I SPENT TODAY WAS WORTH IT. Looks like tommorrow is going to be devoted to getting ripping Skyward Sword onto my Wii and then transferring it over to the PC to DOLPHIN DAT SHEET.

Top Bottom