• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia tour of South Africa |OT| Battle of the Batsmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Australia will go for 500. Nothing less than a smashing to set the tone for the series will be the plan I bet.

It delivered with 7/68.

Yeah I would aim for 500 in front in as quick as time possible to bowl them out with half a day or more left in the match.

MJ living up to his potential. It's great to see as I really didn't think he would make it back after homework gate as pattinson, starc, bird and cummins would be played ahead of him.

Steyn seems clearly unwell throughout the whole match. Philander has bowled pretty ordinarily, though he isn't helped by the fielding.

I said it a month ago, steyn was bad against India and looked to be carrying injury in the Indian series. He took some wickets but it was a few tail Enders and only one or two good spells in the two matches.

He needs a rest to get right but sa can't afford to rest him as they don't have too many other choices. They even played an injured morkel in the second test as the didn't have anyone decent to bring in. They have no depth compared to the Aussies in terms of bowlers.

Philander didn't bowl too well the last series they played against Australia if my memory is correct. He bowled well before that though. I just think that Aussies don't mind seam movement (which Vernon relies on) but hate swing bowling.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
South Africa don't try and win. They're only interested in keeping the "unbeaten" series streak alive. Cynical style of play.

Yeah, but that's hardly going to keep any winning streak alive. Not with 2 more days to go.

They need wickets and they're trying to contain like it's an ODI. Sorry SA but this is going to go on for more than 50 overs. Not even trying to set attacking fields with the spinners.

kmag

Mitchell Johnson in the 6 tests since the start of the Ashes.

4/61, 5/42, 7/40, 1/73, 2/62, 4/78, 5/63, 3/25, 3/33, 3/40, 7/68

I make that an average of 13.29. Pretty phenomenal.

mrpookles

Yeah, but that's hardly going to keep any winning streak alive. Not with 2 more days to go.

They need wickets and they're trying to contain like it's an ODI. Sorry SA but this is going to go on for more than 50 overs. Not even trying to set attacking fields with the spinners.

Unbeaten. They've conceded this Test, will try and pinch another and play for a draw from day 1 in the third. This is the commonly known as the "Dhoni".

Yagharek

Even though Doolan only has an average of 38, I like the way he goes about it, batted well so far.

I hope he does well, he's been one of the key batsmen in Tasmania's golden domestic era. Good to see him playing a good role this session.

Mitchell Johnson in the 6 tests since the start of the Ashes.

4/61, 5/42, 7/40, 1/73, 2/62, 4/78, 5/63, 3/25, 3/33, 3/40, 7/68

I make that an average of 13.29. Pretty phenomenal.

Probably the best hot streak for any Australian player since Clarke's run of double/triple centuries.
Unbeaten. They've conceded this Test, will try and pinch another and play for a draw from day 1 in the third. This is the commonly known as the "Dhoni".

Good luck sneaking past the 'Mo

I hope he does well, he's been one of the key batsmen in Tasmania's golden domestic era. Good to see him playing a good role this session.

Probably the best hot streak for any Australian player since Clarke's run of double/triple centuries.

Good luck sneaking past the 'Mo

Yep, it is a Tasmanian golden era. Last three test debutants for Australia have come from launceston - unbelievable!

I still would have played Hughes ahead of him but Doolan doesn't look out of his depth at all so far. C'mon lad, make a big one.

Antiwhippy

I have no idea why I feel philander is being underbowled in this match when he has bowled as much as the other mainline attackers.

edit: good half-ton from dools.

Antiwhippy

Did the commentator just say "fuck"?

edit: One of the luckiest innings I've ever seen, but warner still made another top knock. Now do it in the first innings. :p

Doolan's done well, will keep his spot for now.

Pissed I went to bed early, looks like I missed a lot of good batting >_<

Why have South Africa imploded so badly? Especially when they are playing at home? The fielding and captaincy last night was horrendous. So many dropped catches.

Happy to see Australia still fighting well despite the players lost between the Ashes and now.

Also what's with the denial this series by SA? Smith was talking shit before the series as well

de Villiers on Johnson said:
He doesn't really bowl you a peach of a delivery, you get yourself out

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
NRL 9's are on, 2 games so far...........

This about as hectic as AFL.

Can see a few players getting pretty knocked up before the season even starts in the next 2 days.

So I went to bed after Warner's dismissal and then taped and watched the rest this morning when I got up.

Doolan, bad luck getting out to an uncharacteristicly loose shot for the inning he was playing. I guess he started to feel comfortable out there, too comfortable, and got out to a wide delivery.

He and Marsh (the way he batted in the first innings) are really what is needed at the first and second drop.

They prize their wicket early on, are really good leavers of the ball, and it doesnt look like they are fussed when they are 0-10 runs at a strikerate of 20 or less.

They are good fit if they ever bat with Warner.

If Doolan get a ton on debut what on earth are they going to do if/when Watson is fit for the next test?

You can't drop Dools or Marsh. I say never bring Watson back.

The commentators talked about this briefly. They said, jokingly, that they would tell Watson to make sure he is extra fit and sit out the next one.

I still think Watson is in our best XI. However, he should be coming in the lower order and try to keep Doolan and Marsh going at the top.

If they play Watson, I would look to drop Rogers.

It would be a big call, however, he can only play as opener and doesnt bowl. Also, he was dissmissed twice from short balls bowled into him and not getting out of the way. If there is any plan which SA will be confident in using in the next test, it will be to bowl around the wicket and short to Rogers, its looks like a bit of weakness.

So I would then open with Warner and Marsh, keep Doolan third and then bring in Watson at four or six (depending on where Clarke wants to bat) and make him bowl 20-30 overs for the match.

So the IX would be something like:
Warner, Marsh, Doolan, Clarke, Smith, Watson, Haddin, Johnson, Harris, Siddle, Lyon.

My ideal IX at the moment would be the above but dropping either Doolan or Marsh for Phil Hughes.

Why have South Africa imploded so badly? Especially when they are playing at home? The fielding and captaincy last night was horrendous. So many dropped catches.

This is what happens when you are getting thrashed. It seems like you cant ever get a wicket so you start to day dream or let your mind wander, and then you get catch come your way and you are not 100% ready for it.

The Warner dropped catches ranged from easy (the Elgar dropped one), one should have been caught by a test fieldsman (Smiths) and one was more difficult but should be taken at test level (Petersons).

Also, this is only the fifth test match SA have played since their last summer finished in the end of Feb last year. Australia have played 4 in India, 5 in England and 5 at home, so almost three times as much test cricket as SA have at this stage. This is a huge advantage to Australia in my opinion.

Even though you can argue that SA should be more fresh physically (although in this day and age every test player is extremely fit), I argue that the sharpness of the two teams is on a different level and a major contributor to that is the amount that the Aussies have played together as a team and trained as a squad in that time.

Some SA players were also given extra leave from the first class season so that they could be "fresh" for the series.

I think that for cricket skills, you need the most regular optimal practice you can get. This doesnt mean that you need to trian for two hours a day, but instead you need to play intensely or train intensely regularly to keep your skills up.

SA have not done this as well as they should have and so I think this is a contributor to the decline in their level of performance.

As for the captaincy, Smith has never been a good strategist and tactician. He is a good leader of men and leads by example, much like Cook. I also think that he is the captain because the admistrators like him 'cause he will not rock the boat, much like Cook.

However, he has had a great team to captain with AB, Amla, Kallis, Steyn and Philander, and himself, being good enough to win on their ability and not tactics.

Clarke is currently the best test captain by a mile. Sure he has lost matches in recent times to Cook, Smith and Dhoni, but given what he has had personnel wise, and how much he should have lost to those teams by, you can see the difference between the four captains in terms of strategy and tactics.

What has been the best bit of captaining in the match so far? Straight after the toss, when they were interviewed, Smith sounded a bit cautious about sending Australia into bat. The first question the commentator asks Clarke is "Sent into bat, what do you think?" and Clarkey adamently said "Its good, we wanted to bat first on this pitch".

This is a great mind game and there was pressure on SA from the start by not bowling the Aussies out on day one. They will be batting on day 4 and 5 of pitch with a tinge of green and cracks opening up. Smith will not want to win the next toss that is for sure.

Another thing which I saw in yesteday's play which I have never seen before in my time watching tests is that the offspinner, peterson, was called repeatidly for wides for defensive bowling. He was bowling around the wicket to Doolan, pitching it well outside leg and because they werent turning or turning slightly away from Doolan, they were being called wide. They were only just missing doolans pads as he moved across to try to paddle them around the corner.

Wow huge call by Clarke, wants to get Johnson in there early and knock them over.

Puts Smith off a little by declaring so early too lol

I'd say give smith or even clarke a bowl before deciding if we really need watson's bowling.
I would even prefer to see Faulkner in for Watson if it's required eventually. Smith is handy enough though!

Wicket falls in the second over and Clarke declares. Morkel was getting some good bounce, don't blame Clarkey wanting to deal that out and not be on the receiving end!

Jezbollah

Wow. Edge.

At least I am comfortable in the knowledge that Australia are actually extremely good, rather than England being shite.

Pretty impressive how few games it took Johnson to get to 250 wickets. He goes for a few but takes vast numbers of wickets. Gillespie took 71 tests to only get 9 more. Though to be fair he did have Warne and McGrath taking most of them leaving Dizzy with the dregs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom