• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

That list of cons is offputting, but having never played the originals, I think this is still the easiest way for me to do it. Gonna give it a whirl.

Machina

Banned
It's appropriate that this game gets new life in this election year. Many themes in this game are very relevant today

That list of cons is offputting, but having never played the originals, I think this is still the easiest way for me to do it. Gonna give it a whirl.
The collection is still worth playing, best part imo is the interview with Ken (director) and Shawn (Animation Lead). They provide tons of insight into the game's development. Just don't watch them before you finish the game, as they contain spoilers. First game has a great new coat of paint too. I only noticed one instance of a missing water texture, but otherwise it looks fantastic.

AgeEighty

Wonder if someone will hack the new textures into the old version of the game, so we get those and the old effects both. Of course, we'd still get 30 fps only, but that never bothered me really.

Alpha_Tango

Neo Member
There is something wrong with the animations. For example, when you swing the wrench, it doesn't move smoothly back to the default position, it just suddenly snaps back to the default position and it's kinda jarring. The same thing happens with the other weapons but they are not as noticeable. I booted up the original version to see if it was the same and maybe I just didn't notice it back then, but the animations were completely smooth. Anyone else notice this issue?

Bastables

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-inside-bioshock-video-game-franchise-w439921

Ken Levine Q&A; only touches on his non-involvement in the remaster but it's a good read about creating the original and Infinite (although more emphasis is on Bioshock 1).

I'm weirdly pleased that his intent was that Fitzroy goes off the deepend because she's been oppressed, that being brutalized actually teaches a person to be brutal.

Here's what I'd say. BioShock 1 is about Jews. I'm a Jew. If you think about it, Andrew Ryan, Sander Cohen, Tenenbaum, they're all Jews. Suchong is Korean. During World War II, Korea was brutally occupied by Japan. He's a guy who survived.
They're all survivors of oppression. And they don't come out of it heroes. Oppression turns them into oppressors. And that's the cruelest aspect of oppression. If you look at Andrew Ryan and Daisy Fitzroy, they're not that far apart.
Maybe people wanted me to write about a hero who rose above that. Elizabeth is the character I invented who does sacrifice herself to break the cycle. But I think most people are destroyed by oppression. I could tell a fairy tale about people who are ennobled by it. But in my experience, as a student of history, that's rare.
If you pretend there are a lot of happy endings for those stories, in some ways it elevates the oppression to something it's not.

Really keen to revisit the first two games, but some of these technical issues / changes are just baffling.

Honestly, there's not that many glitches. Nothing that gets in the way of my enjoyment of the game anyway. Played for four hours tonight and enjoyed every second. Steam version.

Besides the water awkwardness, it looks and feels great.

Maximo

Jesus anyone get some insane screen flickering when the splicer on the bathysphere started hacking away at it and the electricity starts freaking out? My god Ill have to get a video pretty awful.

aravuus

A few observations between original Bioshock 1 and remastered

Cons of the remastered
- Stereo audio only. EAX 5.1 and 7.1 surround is gone (like KOTOR)
- Water effects are degraded
- Light shafts are toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Environmental smoke and fog is toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Forcing SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector breaks dynamic shadows, light shafts, smoke, and some water effects
- Most shiny specular surfaces are toned way down
- Need to edit the .ini to max some settings ("DynamicShadowDetail=High" for example is default at Medium)
- Way less bubbles out of windows? (not positive)

Pros of remastered
- Improved lighting and contrast
- Higher res textures and some improved models
- 60fps physics by default (There's a simple mod that does it to the original version so it's not really a pro)
- Added sea life

Overall I personally prefer the original, but wish it had the some of the textures, models, and lighting of the remaster. I wish I could mod this game and choose what I want to change.

:(

Man, what a bummer. I'll give the remastered version a quick try, but I guess I'll just replay the original versions then after all.

The saddest thing is that this collection is somehow not available on the Saudi Arabian PSN Store [Region 2] (however, all 3 games are separately available for the PS3 along with DLC).

Today is the release date in EU and Middle East PSN stores follow EU region, but so far no sign of either a pre-order or a release package.

Reached out to 2K and PS, with nothing.

Sad me, is very sad.

WITHE1982

Picked up my steelbook edition from GAME (shudder) this morning. So glad they give you the normal PS4 boxes as well as the steelbook. It always bugs me when they only offer one or the other.

20160916_095216.jpg

Now to decide on which order to play. In order of preference I think Infinite>>Bioshock1>>Bioshock2 (as I've only played it for 2 hours previously).

Guess I'll just go chronological though and hope I don't burn myself out before I reach the third instalment. It'll also be my first time with Minerva's Dena and Burial At Sea so lots to look forward to.

Coxy100

Banned
Picked up my steelbook edition from GAME (shudder) this morning. So glad they give you the normal PS4 boxes as well as the steelbook. It always bugs me when they only offer one or the other.

Now to decide on which order to play. In order of preference I think Infinite>>Bioshock1>>Bioshock2 (as I've only played it for 2 hours previously).

Guess I'll just go chronological though and hope I don't burn myself out before I reach the third instalment. It'll also be my first time with Minerva's Dena and Burial At Sea so lots to look forward to.

what's the steelbook like mate? And yes...that shudder was needed.

Cons of the remastered
- Light shafts are toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Environmental smoke and fog is toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Forcing SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector breaks dynamic shadows, light shafts, smoke, and some water effects
- Need to edit the .ini to max some settings ("DynamicShadowDetail=High" for example is default at Medium)

Pros of remastered
- 60fps physics by default (There's a simple mod that does it to the original version so it's not really a pro)
- Added sea life

Overall I personally prefer the original, but wish it had the some of the textures, models, and lighting of the remaster. I wish I could mod this game and choose what I want to change.
Where are the graphics .ini located?

SillyJoe

Where are the graphics .ini located?

\AppData\Roaming\BioshockHD\Bioshock\Bioshock.ini

Edited a bunch of settings from the original's tweakguides post last night but haven't tested it out yet. E.g. forcing DX10 as there's no option in-game, which allows you to use High Detail Shadow Maps (in theory).

Edit:

Just saw that there's a DX11 heading too, so I guess I could be forcing that instead? Interesting, gonna try it. Default seems to be DX9.

Also to note is that the AF slider didn't seem to do anything as it was still set to 4x in the config file.

Playing on PC. Starting with the first one even though Infinite is my favorite. I was never really in love with the first one but have wanted to replay it for awhile. I'm not sure if it's aged well to be honest. The 60 FPS is great but some of the textures are rough. I forgot how much the map makes no fucking sense and the hacking mini game feels like a minesweeper browser game but I'm enjoying it. My biggest issue is the game has crashed like 3 times while I've been playing it. Hoping the story is better than I remember and looking forward to 2 since I've never played it.

\AppData\Roaming\BioshockHD\Bioshock\Bioshock.ini

Edited a bunch of settings from the original's tweakguides post last night but haven't tested it out yet. E.g. forcing DX10 as there's no option in-game, which allows you to use High Detail Shadow Maps (in theory).

Edit:

Just saw that there's a DX11 heading too, so I guess I could be forcing that instead? Interesting, gonna try it. Default seems to be DX9.

Also to note is that the AF slider didn't seem to do anything as it was still set to 4x in the config file.
Default appears to be DX11 for me.

black070

I'm enjoying running through the first again, and the visuals hold up just as well as I could ever imagine them to be - the only downer is the audio. It's immersion breaking hearing Splicers as if they're right next to you when they're rooms or floors apart. A shame that even if they do fix it, I'll have already finished it. I hope the issue doesn't continue through to the second and Infinite.

Fjordson

Honestly, there's not that many glitches. Nothing that gets in the way of my enjoyment of the game anyway. Played for four hours tonight and enjoyed every second. Steam version.

Besides the water awkwardness, it looks and feels great.
I may still check it out, but damn. Expected much better tbh.

ktroopa

Just received my game copy with steelbook. Having tried the upgraded PC version last night and the PS4 today, i can honestly say the PS4 version looks fantastic. Solid 60fps and very smooth to play. I cant decide which to play now lol..

Prob PC first as can run at 2k or 4k and then 2nd run on PS4. Sweet!

Fractal

Banned
So, one step forward and two steps back?

A shame, was hoping for an excuse to revisit Rapture, but this won't do... saw my Steam versions "upgraded", but won''t bother. As a PC gamer, I must admit I find the idea of last-gen remasters which in some aspects look worse than the original rather... absurd.

My retail copy arrived and I'm hyped to get back to these masterpieces but blimey is the presentation horrible when it comes to the app icon on the PS4 - three logos smashed together and the title doesn't even specify Disc 1.

OCD field day.

Zimmy68

Jesus anyone get some insane screen flickering when the splicer on the bathysphere started hacking away at it and the electricity starts freaking out? My god Ill have to get a video pretty awful.

Raises hand.

Luckily, I'm at the area where you get the fire plasmid and haven't seen anything like it since.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bioshock Infinite coverage is finally coming together and I'm not too impressed with either version, the further in I get. Mediocre port at best.

ced

Bioshock Infinite coverage is finally coming together and I'm not too impressed with either version, the further in I get. Mediocre port at best.

Damnit this is the one I want to replay, oh well it's got to be better than the PS3 version lol

Gator86

The average player may not mind but I feel like it's not as polished as a remaster should be. A good comparison point would be Borderlands Collection pre-patch.

Borderlands Collection post patch is great though. They even have little touches like FOV sliders. I wonder if we can see the same improvement here.

Just cleared the Andrew Ryan part.
Think Im done with Part 1.
The Hesphatus part should have been called "Padding". Really killed the pacing for me. And this is one chapter removed from more padding in Arcadia and the Famers Market.

I dunno..I like everything about the high level Rapture story but I dont like all the artifical roadblocks they put in the way. Build a bomb? Dumb. I know its all downhill from here (become a Big Daddy) so I think I am going to move on to the Burial at Sea DLC. I really did not like Infinite but I never played Burial.

has the audio issues fixed already? any issues with ps4 version?

I dont know of any specific audio issues.

One thing I noticed thats a little annoying is the tapes/recorder audio comes out of my left and right speaker and not the center channel. Because of this its sort of mixed in with the ambient sounds and not very loud.

Fuchsdh

I'm weirdly pleased that his intent was that Fitzroy goes off the deepend because she's been oppressed, that being brutalized actually teaches a person to be brutal.

That was clearly always his intent, but fringe social justice types got bent out of shape at release that he would dare suggest that.

Reddit users posted a fix for a lot of the .ini settings, including mouse look sensitivity, if people haven't messed with them I'd try it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bioshock/comments/530req/pc_fixes_change_mouse_settings_fov_and_advanced/

Seems like a lot of the issues can at least be mitigated, but why this stuff is only in the INI instead of exposed in the settings is stupid and makes it clear this was a console game first with the PCs as free afterthoughts.

Gitaroo

Cons of the remastered

Pros of remastered
- Added sea life

you can add SSAO on by default for the remaster, you need to turn off dx10 and use nVidia inspector for HBAO+ and it bleeds throught the smoke IRC.

Top Bottom