• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Fuchsdh

Be interesting to see how the game runs on my W3680 with 7950. I've got a 4K display so that would be one benefit the remasters would have.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Maybe... the music is missing after the intro? Or maybe the surround it's not working? (Bioshock 1)

Anyone having audio issues should try the old fix which is to either plug in a microphone *or* enable Stereo Mix as a recording device. Bet it's still fucky

Loxley

So, because the default Steam grid icon for Bioshock Remastered sucks major ass....

lRKUyfN.png

...I went ahead and made this for anyone who wants use it:

0QOy4A8.jpg

Will work on one for Bioshock 2 when I get a minute.

Arkanius

My audio is all kinds of fucked. Environmental sounds are great, and I can position everything correctly.
Sometimes, I can't even listen to turrets or the enemies. Absolute silent from them.

Im playing bioshock remaster at 4k downsampled to 1080p and the game runs flawlessly, getting a locked 144 fps. The game looks super clean and I can definitely tell that the textures have been upgraded. Super happy with this, bioshock was really starting to look dated.

Grief.exe

Im playing bioshock remaster at 4k downsampled to 1080p and the game runs flawlessly, getting a locked 144 fps. The game looks super clean and I can definitely tell that the textures have been upgraded. Super happy with this, bioshock was really starting to look dated.

Extremely high frame rates is what made the original physics calculations so jarring, glad they fixed that on these versions.

Alt tabbing mid-game forced a restart and turning vsync on crashed the game, lol.

And options reset each time you start the game >_>

Definitely seeing some improved textures and models. I have extended FOV on (on by default), not sure if it's the same as what was patched on PC originally, certainly a lot better, and reminds me why I've always liked smaller, "slim" weapon models in front of me.

Mouse aim seems identical to the original, meaning it can be a bit jumpy ......

Did BioShock 2 Remastered retain multiplayer ?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wonder if modders could add the missing effects back in.. I mean it wouldn't be impossible for a courageous dude to port effects over from one version to the other right..right?

I mean we have two pieces to make the definitive version :lol.

Yeah, player caused water ripples in Bioshock 2 are missing. Just compared the remaster to the original.

That's...concerning.

I was really looking forward to this collection, but these early reports are not the least bit encouraging. I'd love to see a deep dive on what is and isn't improved.

MUnited83

For you.
Definitely seeing some improved textures and models. I have extended FOV on (on by default), not sure if it's the same as what was patched on PC originally, certainly a lot better, and reminds me why I've always liked smaller, "slim" weapon models in front of me.

Mouse aim seems identical to the original, meaning it can be a bit jumpy ......

Did BioShock 2 Remastered retain multiplayer ?

Sadly not, which is why i'm not installing 2 Remastered for a while. Still going through 2's MP.

Extremely high frame rates is what made the original physics calculations so jarring, glad they fixed that on these versions.

Yeah, the physics seem fine this time around. Really great improvement.

I am noticing the audio issues that others have mentioned though, like hearing a splicer as if he's right next to me when in fact he's down a hallway in a different room.

mario_O

With v-synch, 60 fps flawless at 4K. 980Ti.

Some shots.
hNLSlm.png

zdV0pt.png

lWUcZ07.jpg

xs9CIdo.jpg

agjLdYy.jpg

TWB0ur3.jpg

b4lopcb.jpg

K9QtBji.jpg

Don't remember very well the original but this doesn't look very different to me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Quick jaunt with the PC version. Is running great (getting between 100 and 144 fps at 4k on my 980) and the new textures are nice. It has the same downgraded water that the console version does though.

Luigi87

i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, GTX 1070
Downsampling to 1080p from 2160p.

Frames averaging 110~160, but sometimes goes between 90~320

During the beginning when the electricity flickers, it's causing flickering on my screen. I'm thinking due to the uncapped framerate, as I recorded it with Shadowplay, but the video isn't showing it.

Edit: Yeah I turned V-Sync on, and the flickering is rendering correctly now...

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The only problem I've run into is using the volume control on my keyboard (Corsair K70) will more than likely cause my game to crash back to windows. Other than that, the game runs fine.

mdsfx

I'm enjoying playing through this again on PC. It certainly looks updated. The minor issues that have been talked about do seem a little nit picky. I get it, It's a remaster and everything should be better, but it still looks pretty great.

I could never finish Bioshock, game was just too scary for me. Funny enough its not even a horror game just the atmosphere and sounds scared the hell outta me.
I stopped at the part where all the lights go off, and splicers come popping out of no where lmao.

Splinter

So I've never played a Bioshock game even tho I've always wanted to. Does it stand the test of time? Is each sequel worthy of the series?

I looked for the price but couldn't find it (PS4). If it's $60 it's a sure buy for me.

So I've never played a Bioshock game even tho I've always wanted to. Does it stand the test of time? Is each sequel worthy of the series?

I looked for the price but couldn't find it (PS4). If it's $60 it's a sure buy for me.
Infinite didn't manage to hold up a month after release, and Bioshock 1 has aged quite a bit. Never played 2.

Are we just talking graphics here? Because the first game is amazing for many reasons.
I love the first game, but I'm afraid to replay it for many reasons. Not just graphical reasons but how weapon upgrades are handled, moving and shooting, hacking, wonky behavior for stuff like the turrets. I think an argument can be made for how a lot of that stuff adds to the game, but I could see new players just hating it today.

played about an hour on pc. fantastic! looks great and plays great.

to be honest if people didn't bring up the water issue i probably wouldn't have noticed. i still think it looks good :/

I've only played 1 and Infinite. I loved them both. Definitely worth playing if you enjoy story driven first person shooters.

ChRoNiTe

Shouldn't there be shadows on the wall of the woman and carriage? If I move slowly closer the wall will just turn black once I get to a certain point. Noticed weird lighting elsewhere too. Anyone else?

Luigi87

Realized I already missed the first developer reel. </headdesk>

Shouldn't there be shadows on the wall of the woman and carriage? If I move slowly closer the wall will just turn black once I get to a certain point. Noticed weird lighting elsewhere too. Anyone else?

Strange, the shadow worked fine for me.

played about an hour on pc. fantastic! looks great and plays great.

to be honest if people didn't bring up the water issue i probably wouldn't have noticed. i still think it looks good :/

I've only played the PS3 version, so I was blissfully unaware til everyone brought it up.
I still think it looks great as is.

Top Bottom