• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

hmm so i played a bit today, downsampled 4k on a 144hz monitor, 3770k and 1070 both running stock. the game is giving me 300+ fps so i had to use v sync and it works good now. im getting fine water effects most of the time, there has been a few times in which they just flickered away
also
when the lights go out and you grab the shotgun and they all begin to surround you when it came for the lights to turn back on the game felt like it froze mid frame and then the lights were all on

nothing major though, the game is running fine

ChRoNiTe

Realized I already missed the first developer reel. </headdesk>

Strange, the shadow worked fine for me.

Shadow worked here too. Although I expected it to be higher resolution than it was.

Forgot I had applied some settings in Nvidia control panel to the Bioshock.exe last night when I was testing the original version. Guess they were being applied to the remaster also. Everything is good now.

Clockwork

Im playing bioshock remaster at 4k downsampled to 1080p and the game runs flawlessly, getting a locked 144 fps.

This sounds about right.

hmm so i played a bit today, downsampled 4k on a 144hz monitor, 3770k and 1070 both running stock. the game is giving me 300+ fps so i had to use v sync and it works good now.

This does not.

I am getting anywhere from 90-160 fps on my 1070 at 3840x2160 with AA enabled and AF set to max. Vsync disabled.(in game options, no driver overrides)

Hale-XF11

Just a heads up for steam users: bioshock infinite + season pass is $19.99, but if you buy them separately, it's $7.49 + $9.99 respectively. So yeah, buying them separately comes to $17.48. Not sure why they do that.

This sounds about right.

This does not.

I am getting anywhere from 90-160 fps on my 1070 at 3840x2160 with AA enabled and AF set to max. Vsync disabled.

strange, it's working flawlessly on mine once i turned vsync on it locked it at 144hz 144fps, only time it dips is when when there is a big environment or lighting change and it drops to maybe 110

David___

Banned
Played till I got to
]Medical Pavilion
in the first game, took a break and my settings went back to default for no reason when I started playing again. What gives? I cant change the difficulty back to survivor now :/

Shouldn't there be shadows on the wall of the woman and carriage? If I move slowly closer the wall will just turn black once I get to a certain point. Noticed weird lighting elsewhere too. Anyone else?

566F72AB1B65E6241038AE9868CB7D7833263748

Worked for me.

Clockwork

strange, it's working flawlessly on mine once i turned vsync on it locked it at 144hz 144fps, only time it dips is when when there is a big environment or lighting change and it drops to maybe 110

Maybe it's me or the area I am in.

I did play further and there were some spots I hit 200-230fps at 3840x2160 and 350-400fps (I have a screenshot of it spiking at 440) at 1920x1080, but it's definitely not consistent/not the norm.

*shrug*

Now I am paranoid about my setup.

Maximo

Just from messing around in the Combat Arena two issues seem apparent to me, setting Splicers on fire and the water effects are really glaring to me, comes off as not looking as good as the original.

SliChillax

Since I'm reading about some downgrades from the original game, I'll just wait for a patch. I've already played the games so if I'm gonna replay these remasters it's simply for the graphics and if there are missing effects and such I won't bother (PC version here)

Clockwork

Since I'm reading about some downgrades from the original game, I'll just wait for a patch. I've already played the games so if I'm gonna replay these remasters it's simply for the graphics and if there are missing effects and such I won't bother (PC version here)

I'd say you're missing out then. Overall this is an improved package and worth experiencing again if you haven't played the originals in some time.

SliChillax

I'd say you're missing out then. Overall this is an improved package and worth experiencing again if you haven't played the originals in some time.
I've got a shitty download speed and I played the games half a year ago. Better wait and see if there's gonna be any patches if not I'll give it another go.

A few observations between original Bioshock 1 and remastered

Cons of the remastered
- Stereo audio only. EAX 5.1 and 7.1 surround is gone (like KOTOR)
- Water effects are degraded
- Light shafts are toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Environmental smoke and fog is toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Forcing SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector breaks dynamic shadows, light shafts, smoke, and some water effects
- Most shiny specular surfaces are toned way down
- Need to edit the .ini to max some settings ("DynamicShadowDetail=High" for example is default at Medium)
- Way less bubbles out of windows? (not positive)

Pros of remastered
- Improved lighting and contrast
- Higher res textures and some improved models
- 60fps physics by default (There's a simple mod that does it to the original version so it's not really a pro)
- Added sea life

Overall I personally prefer the original, but wish it had the some of the textures, models, and lighting of the remaster. I wish I could mod this game and choose what I want to change.

SliChillax

Cons of the remastered
- Light shafts are all gone
- Environmental smoke and fog is removed
- Forcing SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector breaks dynamic shadows
- Need to edit the .ini to max some settings ("DynamicShadowDetail=High" for example is default at Medium)
- Way less bubbles and no distortion effect on edges of windows

Pros of remastered
- 60fps physics by default (There's a simple mod that does it to the original version so it's not really a pro)
- Added sea life

Overall I personally prefer the original, but wish it had the some of the textures, models, and lighting of the remaster. I wish I could mod this game and choose what I want to change.
Yeah that does it for me, not gonna bother replaying.

Cons of the remastered

Pros of remastered
- Added sea life

Well, goddam it.

I'm still going to give the remaster a shot once it's finished downloading, but those cons...ehhhhhh

Yeah that does it for me, not gonna bother replaying.

I will say the textures and lighting are a big improvement. If losing the other stuff doesn't bother you, it's def an upgrade for the most part as far as that goes.

ElRenoRaven

So just started in on the remaster of one since I got them downloaded now. I'm really liking the graphical updates they did. Little details like the corrosion on the big daddy's suit and other little details are nice. Seems to run great too. It's nice that PC users get the upgraded versions free too. That is nice.

Correction: The light shafts are there, but toned down and they also disappear if you force AA through Nvidia Inspector. Sorry about that, I forgot to turn AA off. I miss the water effects and especially the smoke and fog, but it's pretty good for free! :)

Fracas

#fuckonami
How can I get this in borderless windowed mode? It's not in the options.

I also wanted to downsample but Geforce Experience doesn't detect bio 1 remastered. GG

Dartastic

Never really played 2. I guess I should? Does the remastered version come with Minerva's Den? I got the automatically upgraded PC version.

Catdaddy

For consoles, need to enlarge subtitles and in game text/ descriptions. I'm fucking old and having to get up/ lean forward to read text.

Chabbles

Cons of the remastered

Pros of remastered
- Added sea life

Fuck sakes, what does this do to the atmosphere ? Specially the fog and smoke, i love that stuff in videogames.

Fuck sakes, what does this do to the atmosphere ? Specially the fog and smoke, i love that stuff in videogames.

That was my bad. Light shafts and smoke are toned down, but they are there. I was forcing AA through Nvidia Inspector and that disabled a bunch of effects. So don't do that, lol. Overall it's a decent remaster, but no 5.1 or decent AA is killing me.

Evo X

That was my bad. Light shafts and smoke are toned down, but they are there. I was forcing AA through Nvidia Inspector and that disabled a bunch of effects. So don't do that, lol. Overall it's a decent remaster, but no 5.1 or decent AA is killing me.

Can't do anything about the audio issue, but downsampling can help with AA at least.

Are they really toned down, or is it just better (more accurate) alpha effects due to better video hardware?

(Also, you may want to fix your post where you claimed those effects were gone...)

Chabbles

Phew. That would have been completely brutal.

Stoze

Cons of the remastered

Pros of remastered
- Added sea life

Thanks for the list. Man...what a bummer. edit: Ok at least the smoke and light shafts are still there.

As someone who never finished Bioshock 1 and was waiting for this to give it a another go now that I have a gaming PC, I'm not sure which version I should play now. Despite all those issues I may just do remaster for the higher res textures at 4k goodness.

Runs fines, I'm getting triple digit fps. Also was this ported to UE3? If so it's really disappointing for not using the water tech. Also why is Bioshock 2 showing less achievements?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Do the hacked health machines just do nothing against Splicers on Survival mode? I thought they were instant kills.

JFC, that goddamn splicer that appears behind you in the dentist office still gets me everytime.
I forgot how many horror-ish scenes are in this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone playing on PS4? Just wondering if the bundle on PS4 gives separate downloads or if it is one package.

It's split down the middle in terms of size: BioShock and BioShock 2 are bundled together while Infinite is a separate download.

Anybody else getting an odd brightness glitch in Neptunes Bounty? Seems to just randomly dramatically increase the brightness - have to pause and readjust via pause menu. Then it will randomly go back and I'll need to reset.

I think I'm done with this version until they patch. Or I'll just stick with PC. Its just so fucking mediocre. Really pissed I paid full price - especially given it was impulse, I was totally gonna wait for a sale.

Cons of the remastered

Pros of remastered
- Added sea life

edit: sigh - even if the light shafts and smoke are there, why are they toned down? It just seems so strange that in a game whose atmosphere is so delicately established, that you'd mess with any of these elements. I'm definitely sticking with the original PC release.

Anybody else getting an odd brightness glitch in Neptunes Bounty? Seems to just randomly dramatically increase the brightness - have to pause and readjust via pause menu. Then it will randomly go back and I'll need to reset.

I think I'm done with this version until they patch. Or I'll just stick with PC. Its just so fucking mediocre. Really pissed I paid full price - especially given it was impulse, I was totally gonna wait for a sale.

Jesus Christ. Yeah I'm out. Great job, blind squirrel.

Check a few posts above. The effects are there.

They are still there. I jumped the gun and edited my original post. I still think it's just a mediocre remaster. If I paid full price on consoles I'd be very underwhelmed. For free it's interesting to play through, but it's lost that weird shiny Bioshock feel in some ways imo.

pargonta

I don't think monticello is being entirely accurate with his breakdown.

I noticed environmental effects as i entered neptune bounty, and this can be confirmed at 30 seconds and on in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjtmHDNJ5nI

It is definitely still atmospheric, even with small alterations

thanks for the edit, monticello.

Check a few posts above. The effects are there.

They are still there. I jumped the gun and edited my original post. I still think it's just a mediocre remaster. If I paid full price on consoles I'd be very underwhelmed. For free it's interesting to play through, but it's lost that weird shiny Bioshock feel in some ways imo.

I edited, thanks for the heads up. Really frustrating that even today you can't find reliable reviews of this. The most reputable sight is IGN and they make absolutely no mention of any deficiencies.

kendrid

Banned
Do game saves from the original PC release work with the new remastered versions?

Not for me.

I wanted to replay Bioshock so I started back in June. A few days later I learned about the remastered version so I stopped playing.

Tonight I fired up the new version, created a save, then copied my old saves into the new game's folder. It crashes with all of my old saves.

An odd bug is that with my MS ergonomic 4000 keyboard, the volume up key is map and volume down is the same as the Escape key. I can't change the volume in game.

Gator86

Cons of the remastered
- Light shafts are toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Environmental smoke and fog is toned down (better alpha possibly, but I prefer the original)
- Forcing SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector breaks dynamic shadows, light shafts, smoke, and some water effects

Pros of remastered
- Added sea life

I look forward to DF tearing this thing to shreds. Stereo sound only? What fucking year is it? Jesus.

GHG

Gold Member

Cons of the remastered

Pros of remastered
- Added sea life

Audio is stereo only? Not gonna waste my time downloading it to be honest. What a joke.

Stranya

For anyone who's played without them: would you recommend disabling Vita-Chambers?
Yes, absolutely. They trivialise the difficulty, IMO. E.g. with them enabled, you can get a big daddy down to half health, and if you die, you find him again and he's still on half health.

And it's not a hard game anyway.

Top Bottom