• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

pa22word

I'm at
Dionysus Park
in Bioshock 2. How much Further?

3 more levels. Bio2 gets amazing after Dionysus Park. The next level is probably the best in the series.

Fun Fact: Dishonored developer Arkane helped out on the last two levels, and you can see the Bio2 influence going strong in Dishonored proper.

pa22word

Wow, thanks! It worked well!

I'd recommend scouring as much adam as you can in Dio Park because the next level unleashes a lot of fun lvl 3 plasmids that you'll probably want to play around with.

Ultimately though, I think you've struck upon Bio2's biggest problem: it's just too long. I think that's why Minerva's Den is such a fantastic little game, because it shoehorns the entire package of Bio2's excellent base gameplay into a 4-6 hour journey.

Thewonandonly

God damn I'm fucking ass at bioshock 1. I'm playing on hard but I die about 10 times on each big daddy fight but I'm still early one only making it to the second level. But I've fought 3 big daddies and each time got my ass whooped.

I'm preety good at shooters to...

God damn I'm fucking ass at bioshock 1. I'm playing on hard but I die about 10 times on each big daddy fight but I'm still early one only making it to the second level. But I've fought 3 big daddies and each time got my ass whooped.

It's not really you, the game makes it hard to take them early on without better firepower/plasmids on that difficulty. You can always come back later also.

muzzymate

Other than the support article that basically just says "Yup", has there been any official reasoning why screenshots and video clips are not allowed in the collection?

Thewonandonly

It's not really you, the game makes it hard to take them early on without better firepower/plasmids on that difficulty. You can always come back later also.
Ok cool I don't remember them being this hard but the last time I played the game was when I was 10 and it just came out so in not sure haha.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Have they said anything about fixing the PC version? It just keeps crashing amongst other issues, I was really looking forward to playing this series for the first time but it's literally unplayable right now for me.

EDIT:

Posted 1 hour ago on the Steam forums:

Since the launch of BioShock and BioShock 2 Remastered, some players have been reporting stability issues, while others have asked for additional feature support. We hear you and we’re happy to report we’re addressing this feedback soon. Whether it’s your first time in Rapture, or you’re revisiting it again, we want your experience with the BioShock remasters to be as enjoyable as possible.

We’re looking to address:
General Mouse Fixes, including better Mouse Smoothing, Sensitivity and Acceleration Options in BioShock;
Additional Speaker Mode Options in Audio Settings in BioShock;
Improved FoV Slider Options in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
Support for 21:9 display ratios in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
General stability improvement to reduce instances of game crashes.

I just beat BioShock 2 and I prefer it over the original. I did got a little too much action near the end though.
How long is Minvera's Den? I'm about to start it.

yes this is me as well. im thankful that damage carries over cos i will die to a Big Daddy and then get reborn (usually just feet away) and continue the fight, over and over. kinda takes the challenge out of it but these damn things can kill you in just a couple shots and they are bullet sponges. it's in these fights that the combat of Bioshock kinda feels pointless at times.

tornjaw

A pretty lame way to kill Big Daddys that I used on the PS3 version:

After clearing the area out completely with the exception of the Big Daddy. Using the proximity mine launcher, find a corpse and shoot it with all of the mines that you have. Use telekinesis to pick up the corpse and launch it at the Big Daddy.

Result: Dead Daddy.

Some reflections in this spot only flicker red, blue, and black as squares. K...

Happening to me to at the same area

BF39DAB58ADD6D4E2182FF420D940797C01E7466

Using a Nvidia GPU btw

Arkanius

Wow just finished Minervas Den for the first time.
Wow

Didn't know it was good closure for BioShock 2. It was good.

Played it on hard, I found all my guns doing little to no damage. What the fuck?

In BioShock Infinite on PS4, the "Play Add-Ons" is grayed out and can't access the dlc. Do I need to beat Infinite in order to play it? I would prefer not since I played Infinite already on PS3 and want to try the Burial at Sea DLC for the first time.

Toa TAK

Banned
In BioShock Infinite on PS4, the "Play Add-Ons" is grayed out and can't access the dlc. Do I need to beat Infinite in order to play it? I would prefer not since I played Infinite already on PS3 and want to try the Burial at Sea DLC for the first time.
You shouldn't. On the One the option to play the DLC is ready from the get-go.

foxdvd

Plat number one down on the first game. This is the 4th time I have finished it...and it still holds up.

On to number 2.

RiggyRob

Made it to the Medical Pavilion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1hmqp5AATtT82cXNGJ7dIj&v=BNT1sTMZsDk

With the Director's Commentary reels, are they accessible at any time, or do you have to go to the title screen for them?

I'm finding the audio mixing for the splicers to be really out of whack, they're so much louder than they should be. It's a shame too because the audio design in Bioshock is really good, especially the voice acting - Ryan's delivery of 'Here's the news - Andrew Ryan isn't a giddy socialite to be slapped around by government muscle' is top-notch.

Roussow

Why didn't I remember Bioshock 2 being so damn good.
I mean I've played through it once prior, a few years back. I remember liking it, not much more -- perhaps I rushed through it and never truly appreciated it.

Coming straight off the first Bioshock I'm just super impressed with the quality of life improvements. The hacking system (that I recently acquainted myself with in Mankind Divided) is dramatically improved, and I like the pipe game, but repetition set in late in the first game. This seems like a better system, and keeps you in the action. Other gameplay things, like quick easy reloads between weapons and ammo types is such a godsend after having to fully reload Bioshock 1 weapons just to check the ammo.

Interesting to see them bringing in abandoned Bioshock 1 concepts, too. Seeing the basic models in the museum fleshed out in 2 is satisfying.

JB1981

A pretty lame way to kill Big Daddys that I used on the PS3 version:

After clearing the area out completely with the exception of the Big Daddy. Using the proximity mine launcher, find a corpse and shoot it with all of the mines that you have. Use telekinesis to pick up the corpse and launch it at the Big Daddy.

Result: Dead Daddy.

That doesn't sound lame. That sounds awesome !

You probably figured this out by now but the game still has to install once you boot it up...

I don't really understand why but yea. You can't play the campaign either, it takes like 10/15 minutes. Not sure if it still installs if you close the application, I just let it sit

Made it to the Medical Pavilion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1hmqp5AATtT82cXNGJ7dIj&v=BNT1sTMZsDk

With the Director's Commentary reels, are they accessible at any time, or do you have to go to the title screen for them?

I'm finding the audio mixing for the splicers to be really out of whack, they're so much louder than they should be. It's a shame too because the audio design in Bioshock is really good, especially the voice acting - Ryan's delivery of 'Here's the news - Andrew Ryan isn't a giddy socialite to be slapped around by government muscle' is top-notch.

is this your first playthrough? im subbed anyway good video

RiggyRob

is this your first playthrough? im subbed anyway good video

Not mine, but Pimmsy's - it's been a long time since I played Bioshock so it's fun re-exploring everything, but I never played Minerva's Den or Burial at Sea, so if we get around to them they'll be brand new to me.

Cheers!

muzzymate

Completed Minerva's Den for the first time, and the Gaf hype was justified - a very solid experience. Onto Bioshock Infinite.

I'm currently going thru my first play thru of Minerva's Den. Glad to hear it gets better. Story seems pretty predictable and standard fare so far, so I'm glad there is a good pay off at some point.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm currently going thru my first play thru of Minerva's Den. Glad to hear it gets better. Story seems pretty predictable and standard fare so far, so I'm glad there is a good pay off at some point.

Oh don't you worry about that.

Story pays off.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna boot it up right now finally.

played through the trees subplot in 1 last night. it was really cool, and i loved the art design of that whole area, it felt like an indoor jungle, reminded me a little of "Silent Runnings".

damn the atmosphere in this game is thick. the whole claustrophobic underwater art deco city of killer mutant nye 1909 party guests (The Shining, anyone?) is just so, so nice. everything looks beautiful and unique. the hacking minigames look and sound like hyper real steampunk penny arcades. i am playing the remaster and finding the smokiness and lighting to be very effective, tho i have seen the comparison videos, i still think it looks excellent.

some of the gameplay design tho. dying and instantly respawning just feet away with nothing really lost (and enemy damage intact) kind of kills the challenge. then again i see u can disable that from the menu, and i chose not to! that's fine, i love taking in the world more than the gameplay.

speaking of i am in Hephaestus and on my way to the goal i kept finding all this loot i couldn't pick up. at the goal they told me to do a fetch quest. i soon found out that i have to pick up all that stuff i couldn't pick up earlier, cos the quest hadn't triggered. lame but nbd!

black070

Story wise it does - but looking at the bigger picture, I thoroughly enjoyed the level design and the way they twisted established mechanics to bring about a fresh and self contained experience. I was expecting to be a little burnt out having come straight off completing Bioshock 2, but I finished it within the same day with no hesitations.

Filben

Just started the remastered version of BioShock 1 on PC. Awful mouse control. X and Y axis have different sensitivity. Weapon selection with shift key is also bugged. To select a plasmid from there it's enough to hover over it and hit shift again. To select a weapon, though, you have to click.

I think I'll wait for the first patch adressing those issues. I was really excited to play this gem again and it's frustrating that those small and fixable issues taking a lot of fun out of it (since controls are a vital subject in shooters).

Happening to me to at the same area

BF39DAB58ADD6D4E2182FF420D940797C01E7466

Using a Nvidia GPU btw

Whew. This happens in the same spot for me as well. Since I just got a 1070 I was worried this was a card issue.

Other than this though I haven't had any problems with the remaster, and it's really fun being back in Rapture after so long.

Getting a ton of freezes on PS4 now.

Me, too.

Was in the middle of harvesting ADAM in the labs in 2 and I crashed and was kicked back to the very beginning of that area.

Like, 2 hours of progress lost, after already dealing with multiple crashes in the other areas.

Getting kind of annoying.

You probably figured this out by now but the game still has to install once you boot it up...

I don't really understand why but yea. You can't play the campaign either, it takes like 10/15 minutes. Not sure if it still installs if you close the application, I just let it sit

I was playing the game within 2 minutes of the initial boot, despite only 9% or so of the install being complete.

That 9% probably didn't include any DLC though.

Top Bottom