• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

steven28

I can't believe bioshock 1,2 and infinite are from the same generation.Infinite looks absolutely incredible compared to the other two games. I had forgotten how great it looked.

sdornan

Even if these aren't the best remasters ever, I'm glad I have them; all three of these games are so good and deserve another play through.

For all those on PC playing Bioshock 2 at least, here is my cross post from the DF thread. Using the default provided bits by NV, you can still force SGSSAA.
I would open these all up in separate tabs to compare best.

Default ingame FXAA @ 1920X1080:
default_fxaaemscr.png

Default ingame FXAA @ 3840X2160 linear Downsample to 1920X1080:
4kgwstg.png

Default ingame FXAA @ 1920X1080 w/ 8XSGSSAA:
8xsgssaapcsk2.png

SGSSAA provides the smoothest image with the least amount of jittering and flicker when walking around, 3840X2016 downsampled is definitely sharper at 0% gaussian smoothness with DSR settings, but actually still has some pixels dancing around here or there (water surfaces especially). It also has a knock-on effect with the bloom where halos around light sources tighten and get smaller. The default ingame FXAA @ 1920X1080 is just terrible looking in comparison.

edit: Bonus Round
Default ingame FXAA @ 3840X2160 w/ 8XSGSSAA linear Downsample to 1920X1080 aka "where are the pixels?":
4k_8xsgssaadysge.png

Just finished the first play with hard settings without Vita Chambers on PS4. Collected everything (except one audio log, I hate myself)

Never actually notice any framerate problem like those seen in Digital Foundry analysis. And I find this remaster actually good. Nothing like Marvel Ultimate Alliance or other crops like that.

Now... I'll probably jump to Infinite then come back to Bioshock 1 again to play on Survivor without Vita Chamber.

Also, is there a way to carry over the progress of the first play time? I would hate to start with low health and without my Plasmids level 3.

Regginator

So... have the recent patches fixed the PC version? Or at least re-added the missing features? I'd love to replay this beautiful series, but BioShock 1 vanilla is crashing way too much for my liking. Doesn't seem to run extremely well on modern hardware, which is why I want to try this remaster.

Cyanity

Banned
So... have the recent patches fixed the PC version? Or at least re-added the missing features? I'd love to replay this beautiful series, but BioShock 1 vanilla is crashing way too much for my liking. Doesn't seem to run extremely well on modern hardware, which is why I want to try this remaster.

Would like to know this as well.

I'm currently debating whether to grit my teeth and deal with the remasters, or to just run the originals through 4k supersampling.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
I'm really tempted to get this on ps4 since it's bioshock and all. After watching df and reading a bit I'm not entirely sure but what's the overall consensus of this version just yet?

I'm really tempted to get this on ps4 since it's bioshock and all. After watching df and reading a bit I'm not entirely sure but what's the overall consensus of this version just yet?

For me, not the best experience, but way better than the ps3/360.

At least for the Bioshock 1. Played Infinite for 10 minutes, can't judge for now

Stoze

There haven't been any recent PC patches yet as far as I know.

Amazing - just received a full refund for this through Sony Support. Just basically explained it was technically not what I expected at all - removal of effects from the original, sound issues in Infinite, and framerate problems - and the guys immediately issued a "one time" refund.

Great to have this turd off my hard drive - still can't believe 2K would disrespect such a landmark series, but happy to just play my OG PC versions :)

EDIT: and see below

Yukinari

Got to Olympus Heights and was collecting the final big daddy suit piece and decided to save. The game crashed. Upon restarting the game all my settings were reset, any developer reels i collected through the game were gone and my save is gone.

The auto save was still there but i lost progress and all my settings. Fucking horseshit.

Toa TAK

Banned
Decided to start up Infinite on 1999 mode for my first run and man this game still looks great. Noticed a couple of issues with the framerate during firefights but no crashing just yet.

Bydobob

Playing the first game on PC and I can confidently say this is the laziest, scruffiest remaster I have played.

Quite apart from the negligible visual upgrade (better textures, worse water) this glitches all over the place. And I mean seriously. Things like staircases and large sections of wall just disappear and reappear right in front of you - it's not even subtle. Two display driver crashes within the first 10 minutes too, once after completing disabling my GPU overclock.

Settings would reset on each restart, including controls that inexplicably defaulted to controller even when none were plugged in. Mouse acceleration is even more aggressive than I remembered, making playing with any kind of low sensitivity impossible without dicking around with the .ini files. Let's not even talk about FOV and the lack of other in-game options, other than to say there is zero reason to play this over the original.

black070

Played through Bioshock, 2 and Minerva's Den and currently running through Infinite. The remasters are solid, and if you've only played the PS3/360 version, it's a vast improvement.

Medicated

Neo Member
Just finished the first play with hard settings without Vita Chambers on PS4. Collected everything (except one audio log, I hate myself)

Never actually notice any framerate problem like those seen in Digital Foundry analysis. And I find this remaster actually good. Nothing like Marvel Ultimate Alliance or other crops like that.

Now... I'll probably jump to Infinite then come back to Bioshock 1 again to play on Survivor without Vita Chamber.

Also, is there a way to carry over the progress of the first play time? I would hate to start with low health and without my Plasmids level 3.

The game has New Game+ so your stuff will carry over, however you can't switch out any Plasmids or Tonics until you get to the first Gene bank in Neptunes Bounty.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Playing BS1 on survivor/no vita chambers, just got over the Neptunes Bounty hump, IIRC the difficulty is a lot lower from here on out.

I have heard that the fully upgrade wrench is supposed to be great on survivor? Anyone ever use it?

Playing BS1 on survivor/no vita chambers, just got over the Neptunes Bounty hump, IIRC the difficulty is a lot lower from here on out.

I have heard that the fully upgrade wrench is supposed to be great on survivor? Anyone ever use it?

I'm literally a mass murder machine with faster wrench attacks (Sports tonic 2), Draining health with each strike (bloodlust tonic) and Ice resistance has a big chance to froze enemies with the wrench.

Not to mention, splicers and regular enemies misses so many project titles in close proximity, and physical attacks are reduced with with armored shell 2 tonic.

Guess I'll stick with this build for quite some time, wrench is useless against big daddy by the way.

Maximo

Full wrench build as always been overpowered as fuck.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm literally a mass murder machine with faster wrench attacks (Sports tonic 2), Draining health with each strike (bloodlust tonic) and Ice resistance has a big chance to froze enemies with the wrench.

Not to mention, splicers and regular enemies misses so many project titles in close proximity, and physical attacks are reduced with with armored shell 2 tonic.

Guess I'll stick with this build for quite some time, wrench is useless against big daddy by the way.

Full wrench build as always been overpowered as fuck.

Yes but it'S also so much fun. I always play with the wrench.

Fuck, maybe I'll give it a go. Any recommended builds for early on? Also do you guys equip multiple versions of the same tonic when using the wrench, or just always go with the latest?

Neiteio

Played through the opening of all three games today (PS4).

Honestly, Infinite looks and plays fine. I saw all of the comparisons in this thread showing differences like the more clearly defined brick pavers in the streets, etc, but when playing on my TV everything comes together so well. I did notice a brief stutter before the barbershop quarter, but it was only a split-second. I also encountered a glitch (which may or may not have been in the original) where the Devil's Kiss vigor didn't appear after defeating the Firemen. I simply reset the checkpoint and it appeared the second time. On the whole, this is exactly how I remember it playing on highest settings on PC. I'm sure I'd notice differences seeing them side by side, but nothing stands out while playing it.

BioShock 1 feels a bit dull without all of the glistening surfaces that used to catch the light. The voices also sound a bit quiet despite being at max volume. But overall it's a pretty sharp-looking remaster. They sure added a lot of extra details, not only in the bathysphere descent, but in other areas, too. For example, if you look up through the skylights before the elevator crash, you can see a whale swimming overhead. And when you arrive at the top of the elevator, the plants in the pots are now overgrown and spilling over the sides, the result of no one pruning them since the fall of the city.

I noticed there's a "Museum of Orphaned Concepts" feature. Was this in any of the previous ports? I also own this game on both PC and PS3, but I don't recall this feature. It's really cool, allowing you to walk through a museum and study character models and art for unused concepts, complete with annotations.

Moving on... BioShock 2 looks GREAT. Plays great, too. The only blemish is the pre-rendered opening — they had to work with the 720p 30fps original, so it looks a bit rough. Similar to how the cutscenes in RE4's Separate Ways can't be improved since they were pre-rendered. But once the real-time gameplay begins and you're in control, everything is crisp and clear. Lots of nice surfaces and lighting. Just looks great all-around.

So yeah, I'm quite pleased with this collection overall. I thought I'd regret my purchase based on the impressions here, but it's a solid remaster. My main request is that they enable anisotropic filtering in the PS4 version, improve the voice quality/volume in BioShock 1, and (ideally) restore the glistening textures/shaders.

angelic

Banned
Got to Olympus Heights and was collecting the final big daddy suit piece and decided to save. The game crashed. Upon restarting the game all my settings were reset, any developer reels i collected through the game were gone and my save is gone.

The auto save was still there but i lost progress and all my settings. Fucking horseshit.

What system? Cloud saves too?

Regginator

Would like to know this as well.

I'm currently debating whether to grit my teeth and deal with the remasters, or to just run the originals through 4k supersampling.

9 out of 10 times I would have gone with the originals downsampled from 4K, easily. Then I'd have added the 60fps physics mod which apparently is very easy to install.

But the only caveat of all this is that Bio 1 (and Bio 2 maybe as well) doesn't seem very optimised for modern hardware, crashing pretty regularly. That's the sole single reason I'm considering trying out these remasters.

Have they said anything about fixing the PC version? It just keeps crashing amongst other issues, I was really looking forward to playing this series for the first time but it's literally unplayable right now for me.

EDIT:
Posted 1 hour ago on the Steam forums:
"Since the launch of BioShock and BioShock 2 Remastered, some players have been reporting stability issues, while others have asked for additional feature support. We hear you and we’re happy to report we’re addressing this feedback soon. Whether it’s your first time in Rapture, or you’re revisiting it again, we want your experience with the BioShock remasters to be as enjoyable as possible.

We’re looking to address:
General Mouse Fixes, including better Mouse Smoothing, Sensitivity and Acceleration Options in BioShock;
Additional Speaker Mode Options in Audio Settings in BioShock;
Improved FoV Slider Options in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
Support for 21:9 display ratios in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
General stability improvement to reduce instances of game crashes."

Anyone else notice that their list of issues they're addressing appears to be missing some issues? Stuff like water effects and audio glitches isn't mentioned anywhere in that list. If they fix those items in addition to the issues in their list I'd jump in and start playing. I bought the trilogy previously during a Steam sale and it's been in my backlog ever since, but I'd love to have a reason to start playing.

SkylineRKR

I played Bioshock 1 on PS3, however never played 2 and Infinite. Despite the flaws, is Bioshock 2 and Infinite a better experience on PS4 than PS3?

PS4 version of Infinite curb stomps the PS3.

Double the framerate, higher resolution, shorter load times, no pop in and much better IQ in general. Infinite looks extremely crisp on PS4. It doesn't look last-gen at all. This game doesn't seem to have issues either (never crashed, no save game issues and the sound mixing seems better than the other 2 ports as well, esp BS1).

Bioshock 2 looks extremely good on PS4 as well, but has its issues with save space etc. Both 1 and 2 need AF though.

The game crashed on me at the same part! right after getting the final Big Daddy piece! So annoying!

Muffdraul

Wait, there is no manual save in Infinite?

Nope, autosave only, I hate that too. Despite that, I loved Infinite when it came out, but the luster sure has worn off. I had a blast replaying Bioshock 1 in this collection, but I feel like I'm forcing myself to replay Infinite. My plan was to play 1, Inifinite, and then 2, but I guess I'll just replay 2 and then shelf it for a while.

Has anyone experienced a hard crash reverting the game's difficulty setting to medium once you have loaded your last save again? This happened on the PS4 and screwed me from getting a trophy. For the record I've experienced two hard crashes during my BS 1 playthrough.

I swear I never changed the game's difficulty after setting it to hard during the beginning. Lo and behold, saw it was set to medium during the final level -- pisses me off.

In addition to that, I've experienced three hard crashes on Bioshock 2, and one instance when the game froze for a good 10-15 seconds before resuming to normal again during a fight with a big daddy. Disappointing to say the least.

While it's a joy exploring Rapture again, these crashes are really hampering the experience. Makes me vigilant about saving the game every couple of mins or so in order to keep my progress.

SeanFloyd

Neo Member
Forgive me if this was stated before, but how is Bioshock 2 accessed? I'm on Xbox One, and I just see the ability to access the original Bioshock on the first disc.

Thanks dudes.

Did they fix the physics on PC for Bioshock 2 remaster ? Does it now run at 60fps like on console?

No, it actually doesn't. The sound is perfect in BioShock 2. The voices are immediately louder and clearer. It's a night and day difference. No complaints about the sound in B2.
Fixed physics and audio, Bioshock 2 Remastered actually sounds pretty solid. When they migrated the game from GFWL to Steamworks the patch they put out messed with the audio mix which required a mod to fix. And I don't believe the physics mod was ever made for Bioshock 2 like it was for Bioshock 1. DF mentioned the lack of specular highlights in their video, just like in Bioshock 1, but they didn't show any footage that really made this abundantly clear though. Also the reduced underwater effects and murkier underwater visuals were a knock against the remaster.

Finished Burial at Sea 1 earlier but had an annoying glitch where I couldn't select any weapons on the weapon wheel meaning I was stuck with the Shotgun and Raygun thingy. The Plasmid wheel worked fine though. I wonder if this this is a new glitch with the Collection or if it's carried over from the base game.

I also started BaS 2 and find the stealth a bit more frustrating than I remembered.
Playing as Elizabeth is great though, and more Atlas is always welcome.

Forgive me if this was stated before, but how is Bioshock 2 accessed? I'm on Xbox One, and I just see the ability to access the original Bioshock on the first disc.

Thanks dudes.

Assuming it's the same as on PS4, you should only have to press right when you're on the screen for Bioshock 1. It will take you to the option to play Bio 2.

RodzTF

Hack a turret isn't popping for me. Must have zapped and hacked 4 or 5 now.

They are being hacked straight away without the mini-game though, I must have an active tonic.

Bugged trophy or because I ain't hacking conventionally?

rubes7844

Banned
Hack a turret isn't popping for me. Must have zapped and hacked 4 or 5 now.

They are being hacked straight away without the mini-game though, I must have an active tonic.

Bugged trophy or because I ain't hacking conventionally?
Should pop with auto hack or paying for it

Does the remaster of Bioshock 2 bring back the vending machine voice clips? They were strangely omitted in the original release, don't know if it was a bug or if the audio files were simply never in the game.

Arkanius

Really tried to give BioShock 1 Remastered a go but having the sound mix MAX VOLUME all the time and with no positional cues was making me sick.

angelic

Banned
Does the remaster of Bioshock 2 bring back the vending machine voice clips? They were strangely omitted in the original release, don't know if it was a bug or if the audio files were simply never in the game.

bug that was never fixed, they gave up and literally couldnt do it. sound files are in.

Top Bottom