• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

That's bizarre that such a thing would be so difficult.
I recall the excuse back in the GFWL days being that the sound files are baked into the maps, so they would have needed to have a "patch" as big as the entire game.

I don't know why that wasn't fixed with the Steam transition where people had to redownload it anyways, though.

Jeez, that overall Digital Foundry article paints a pretty ugly picture for the PS4 version as whole.

The one time I should have bucked my "exclusives only" rule with my Xbox One.

Given that Blind Squirrel is redirecting inquiries to @2KSupport and @Bioshock...I dunno if we're gonna get patches on these :/

Finished up Bioshock 2 and Minerva's den. I still don't get the hype. I played bio 2 back on launch and had never played Minerva's den before. The game and dlc are just ok. 1 is far superior imo

Also, it's funny that invincibility glitches and stuff from the originals are still in these

Might have been mentioned already, but Humble Bundle has all three games on sale right now for 75% off. If you buy all three, you'll save a little more, for a total of $13.99. You automatically get access to the two remastered games once you redeem the codes on Steam.

Never played these before, so this seemed like a great time to jump in.

Roussow

Jeez, Burial at Sea is really good. There's plenty of outstanding stuff in there, but what stuck out to me most was the refined art direction, it's perfect, every room in that game (especially episode 2) is phenomenal, I might post some screens later, it's truly stunning.

Is that true? If so, that's incredibly lame. Way to take responsibility for your work.

Gotta feeling it's like Iron Galaxy did with Arkham Knight PC - there's an official channel to handle the communication, and it's not for the contracted grunts.

That said, given that, and 2K's hilariously bad explanation of streaming being blocked, I dunno. Maybe they can pull a Handsome Collection fix, or maybe they'll sweep this under the rug.

At least they're being pretty upfront about fixes for the (for most) freebie PC versions. If they can tweak those, maybe there's hope for the Xbox One/PS4 versions.

As someone who saves a lot, I hope they sort out the Bioshock/Bioshock 2 sharing the same save pool issue before I dive in.

^^^
You're good as long you have three save files at the most per game. I had four on BS 1 and wasn't able to create a save on BS 2 until I deleted one. I currently have three save files on BS 2 as well. Not sure if it will allow me anymore. I'll have to try tomorrow.

Not the most ideal solution, mind you, but will do for the time being.

PS4 version of Infinite curb stomps the PS3.

Double the framerate, higher resolution, shorter load times, no pop in and much better IQ in general. Infinite looks extremely crisp on PS4. It doesn't look last-gen at all. This game doesn't seem to have issues either (never crashed, no save game issues and the sound mixing seems better than the other 2 ports as well, esp BS1).

Bioshock 2 looks extremely good on PS4 as well, but has its issues with save space etc. Both 1 and 2 need AF though.

Infinite looks much better, but it still looks last gen. Lots of low res textures and sloppy texture work.

That being said, it's still very fun and experimenting with all the different vigor and gear combos is great.

In case anyone was wondering, the best vigor combo is fully upgraded shock jockey and devils kiss.

Best gear for most encounters is storm hat, blood to salt shirt, headshot pants and overkill boots. With this set up, you can kill groups of regular enemies with just one SJ+DK combo in any difficulty level. For 1999, You will also need an upgraded possesion.

^^^
You're good as long you have three save files at the most per game. I had four on BS 1 and wasn't able to create a save on BS 2 until I deleted one. I currently have three save files on BS 2 as well. Not sure if it will allow me anymore. I'll have to try tomorrow.

Not the most ideal solution, mind you, but will do for the time being.

That's great to know. I think I can live with three saves for a play through. Thanks!

eshwaaz

Gotta feeling it's like Iron Galaxy did with Arkham Knight PC - there's an official channel to handle the communication, and it's not for the contracted grunts.

Generally, this is part of publisher agreements.
Yes, what you both said makes sense. I'm just peeved that so many aspects are inferior to the originals. Even aside from the technical shortcomings, I'm irked by the artistic changes made - a port house should not be making those kinds of calls, IMO. If anything, they should be going out of their way to keep the artistic vision of the originals intact.

Anyone else notice that their list of issues they're addressing appears to be missing some issues? Stuff like water effects and audio glitches isn't mentioned anywhere in that list. If they fix those items in addition to the issues in their list I'd jump in and start playing.

As lame as it sounds, I'm holding off from playing the remasters because of that. I'm happy with how the original PC release looks, and with physics patch, it's the definitive BioShock experience to me.

I really hope they fix the specular highlights and water, but I'm not holding my breath--especially if it wasn't in the release notes.

Started with Minerva's Den, as usual, and it's still one of the best Rapture stories.

LIQ1LV8.png

Lt-47

Even aside from the technical shortcomings, I'm irked by the artistic changes made - a port house should not be making those kinds of calls, IMO. If anything, they should be going out of their way to keep the artistic vision of the originals intact.

Making accurate retexture is very time consuming yet most remaster seems to be made with ridiculously small team and budget. So it's not that surprising that corner were cut.

Jombie

Started with Minerva's Den, as usual, and it's still one of the best Rapture stories.

LIQ1LV8.png

I played it for the first time a week ago. Amazing.

Minerva's Den, along with the core game, is the reason I prefer 2 over 1 or Infinite - it's more personal and nuanced story resonates with me a little more.

B_Signal

This is probably a daft question, but how do you select the automatic hacking took using a keyboard in Bioshock 1 pc?

EDIT: or am I misremembering and you can't use them like a weapon (so to speak) in the first game?

This is probably a daft question, but how do you select the automatic hacking took using a keyboard in Bioshock 1 pc?

EDIT: or am I misremembering and you can't use them like a weapon (so to speak) in the first game?

You can only use when it when you have initiated a hacking sequence in BS 1. The game will give you the choice to manually hack or use an automatic hacking tool, if you have one available.

BS 2 has it as a selectable weapon from the weapons' wheel and hotkey.

TEJ

What's the verdict on this collection? Good enough remasters to justify full price, lazy cash grab that can wait for a price drop, or something to avoid entirely?

What's the verdict on this collection? Good enough remasters to justify full price, lazy cash grab that can wait for a price drop, or something to avoid entirely?

Wait for a price drop, which will undoubtedly come within a month or two. I didn't see it as lazy cash grab, but the games aren't without their problems, as you've likely seen on this thread. Hopefully they'll address it with a patch.

B_Signal

You can only use when it when you have initiated a hacking sequence in BS 1. The game will give you the choice to manually hack or use an automatic hacking tool, if you have one available.

BS 2 has it as a selectable weapon from the weapons' wheel and hotkey.

Thanks, I thought I was going mad

Burial at the sea is so bad, I'm not going to play through it a second time. Finisihed playing after 2 hours. This city doesn't feel like Rapture at all. Vigors? Skyhooks? The whole story...ffs. This is just Bioshock infinite disguised as a prequel to BS1. It feels like I'm playing a bad copy of the first two games.

Luckily I've never played Minerva's Den!

Toa TAK

Banned
Burial at the sea is so bad, I'm not going to play through it a second time. Finisihed playing after 2 hours. This city doesn't feel like Rapture at all. Vigors? Skyhooks? The whole story...ffs. This is just Bioshock infinite disguised as a prequel to BS1. It feels like I'm playing a bad copy of the first two games.

You're in for some goodness. This is THE BioShock DLC.

Jombie

I think Burial at Sea is solid, but some of it's kind of lazy -- like drinking plasmids.. and the skylines in Rapture are silly. I remember being annoyed that it was marketed as 'experience Rapture before it fell.' You see it for about 15 minutes before you're thrusted into another dark corridor shooter.

Episode 2 is miles better.

Disagree, I thought Burial at Sea 1&2 was a clever and neat way of tying Infinite to Bioshock (as long as you can accept certain inconsistencies). Skyhooks I agree are tacked on, but you only need to use them 4 times total.

pa22word

Best kept secret of the series is that bio2's multiplayer mode functions as a great prequel to bio1. Really fun to play too.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm pretty excited to play Bio 2, and Minerva's Den after hearing all the praise over them in this thread. I may have played 10 minutes of Bio 2 before getting side tracked on other stuff, so I am rushing through Bio 1 so I can get on with it. 16 hours in and just made it to Point Prometheus!

JRW

Playing Bioshock 1 Remaster on PC and loving it so far (13 hours in) I was able to crank up the VSR resolution to 3200x1800 and still maintain 60fps on my trusty R9 290X, Luckily haven't encountered any crashes yet (knock on wood).

DsS4xeC.jpg

I'm really surprised at how awful the sound mixing is on Bioshock 1. I'm not one to usually complain about minor issues, but the way they are now is it makes hearing the diaries and enemy placement pretty difficult. I hope they put out a patch soon that addresses them as that's about my biggest problem with the Bioshock 1 remaster.

J_Viper

Might have been mentioned already, but Humble Bundle has all three games on sale right now for 75% off. If you buy all three, you'll save a little more, for a total of $13.99. You automatically get access to the two remastered games once you redeem the codes on Steam.

Never played these before, so this seemed like a great time to jump in.

Thanks for this

jadedm17

Wait for a price drop, which will undoubtedly come within a month or two. I didn't see it as lazy cash grab, but the games aren't without their problems, as you've likely seen on this thread. Hopefully they'll address it with a patch.

The problem that lies here is how Bioshock is the best game to play now, whereas starting in a few weeks we'll be flooded with many other great games to play.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Unit24

I'm glad I can finally play a version of Bioshock 2 that doesn't have awful sound issues. It's just a shame that it crashes often enough to make me want to stop playing.

My own personal experience is that if you're console only, these are a good upgrade from PS3 and Xbox 360. Compared to maxed out PC originals, they are missing some of the original aesthetic choices, and they have suspect performance in BioShock 1 and 2 at times, but nothing game breaking or experience-ruining. Infinite probably suffers the worst in terms of performance, but it is the game that has the least visual overhauls (basically none, other than being set on lower settings and missing some of the more advanced effects the PC version is able to achieve).

Not perfect remasters at this point but enough of an upgrade to try if you're a fan of the series but only ever played them on PS3/360. If you played on PC, the originals with some light modding for mouse acceleration and FOV expansion still seems preferred by many, even over the free Steam release of the remasters. Also very viable for complete newcomers of the franchise to jump in with this collection if they're bound to only a PS4 or an Xbox One.

Are the freezing/save issues still just as prevalent on BioShock 2 as they are for the first one?

I really want to start it up but if I'm going to get hard freezes and crashes I think I might wait for the first patch.

Is the bug with the Handy-Man still in Infinite or did they fix that with the Collection? I hope it's still in otherwise the Platinum will be a pain in the ass.

The problem that lies here is how Bioshock is the best game to play now, whereas starting in a few weeks we'll be flooded with many other great games to play.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

That's true. October and onward have a lot of highly anticipated titles coming out. Out of all the installments in this collection, I found that Bioshock 2 plays the best and remains faithful to its original aesthetics. Quite of bit of changes in Bioshock, such as retexturizing the walls, floors, and new lighting, have essentially changed some of the iconic atmosphere present in the Xbox 360 and PC release. Moreover, the water now has this flat, artificial look to it, whereas its appearance in the original version felt more voluminous and dense. While I don't know how or if that applies to improving the performance of the game, those changes are still noticeable enough to affect my nostalgic trip back to Rapture.

Really a joy to play these fantastic games again, but this collection doesn't have the polish that this series truly deserves. Frequent crashes, screen tearing during combat, some downgrades in textures in BS 1. Bioshock deserves better than this.

Stoze

I finished Bioshock 1 for the first time, it's excellent and I appreciate it way more than I did when I played through some of it 8 or so years ago. I listened to all the commentary and did the challenge missions as well, good stuff.

My favorite plasmids were Target Dummy and Telekinesis. Although I didn't keep it in my slots much, using Hypnotize Big Daddy to make him fight and kill another one was incredibly satisfying. Almost as satisfying was then devilishly following him and waiting until he summons a little sister so I can take him out easily since he's still damaged from the fight. I thought combat was incredibly fun and versatile despite some of the gunplay feeling off and the switching between plasmids and weapons feeling finicky in the middle of combat. It was still the highlight for me though next to the immaculate level design.

Thinking about taking a break and waiting till the patch hopefully hits before starting 2.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shouldn't there be shadows on the wall of the woman and carriage? If I move slowly closer the wall will just turn black once I get to a certain point. Noticed weird lighting elsewhere too. Anyone else?
Yeah I just finished up Bioshock 1 on PS4 and it does have a shadow casted on the wall, the game has several moments like that in the game, perhaps he disabled them to get 4K?
Any on to Bioshock 2, I own this already but I don't remember it, just recognizable bits. But its a way better looking game and better representation of Rapture, water everywhere with leaks and everything.
BS1 looks dry in comparison. but I don't remember it being like this.

sdornan

I still don't understand all the retroactive love that Bioshock 2 gets. It's a fine game, but it feels like a retread. Lamb feels shoehorned in as a character, and it mimics a lot of what the first Bioshock did without introducing enough new stuff. I really hate the mechanic of adopting all the little sisters in each area, harvesting all the bodies, and then killing the big sister. It's so time-consuming and breaks any kind of flow in the story that the game tries to establish.

I got through about half of it and decided to skip ahead and replay Infinite, which I'm enjoying much more.

Minerva's Den is still great though.

I'm really surprised at how awful the sound mixing is on Bioshock 1. I'm not one to usually complain about minor issues, but the way they are now is it makes hearing the diaries and enemy placement pretty difficult. I hope they put out a patch soon that addresses them as that's about my biggest problem with the Bioshock 1 remaster.

I agree, it really is. I remember it being perfect in the original too.

Top Bottom