• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection |OT| Once is not enough.

Amazing - just received a full refund for this through Sony Support. Just basically explained it was technically not what I expected at all - removal of effects from the original, sound issues in Infinite, and framerate problems - and the guys immediately issued a "one time" refund.

Great to have this turd off my hard drive - still can't believe 2K would disrespect such a landmark series, but happy to just play my OG PC versions :)

EDIT: and see below

Curious to know what steps you took to issue a refund. Did you need to go through chat support, or did you write them an email?

Because I too want this piece of shit off of my hdd. It isn't quite Silent Hill Collection bad, but it's not too far off either.

Edit: Froze again.

Iceternal

I'm having OCD about choosing between the original and the remasters.

On the one hand I appreciate the new graphics of the remasters, stuff like better textures and models... but all these issues ... damn...

black070

Curious to know what steps you took to issue a refund. Did you need to go through chat support, or did you write them an email?

Because I too want this piece of shit off of my hdd. It isn't quite Silent Hill Collection bad, but it's not too far off either.

Edit: Froze again.

That's just pure hyperbole.

As for your question - calling them is the easiest way to go about it.

Plum

So I turn this on wanting to maybe finish the first Bioshock tonight and bam, sound issues all over the place. I play wearing headphones (which I know are fine since the PS4 menu sounds normal) and stuff like reloading a gun and footsteps seems to completely alternate between my left and right ear when it was fine yesterday. It's really difficut to play now and if a simple console reboot doesn't fix this then I might just sell this off.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I keep getting annihilated by the first
Big Daddy
I come across in the first game.

I rounded up 3 or 4 of those orange gas canisters in that area and used Telekinesis to throw them at him. They deal a lot of damage and make it easy. Electric buck shots or the electric plasmid will stun him too.

Later in the game, trap bolts and grenades make those encounters a piece of cake.

I rounded up 3 or 4 of those orange gas canisters in that area and used Telekinesis to throw them at him. They deal a lot of damage and make it easy. Electric buck shots or the electric plasmid will stun him too.

Later in the game, trap bolts and grenades make those encounters a piece of cake.

I got rid of that one like a moron.

rtcn63

Electric isn't so strong even when upgraded, but it's useful when you need to reload during Big Daddy fights, and of course being able to shock turrets and the like. Worth keeping around.

I beat the remaster last night, hard + no aim assist + no vita-chambers. Only two crashes total, so that's good. Learning how to aim the
Crossbow
effectively with a gamepad (if you're using a mouse, you're set) makes the last third of the game trivial.

Big Nikus

Thought it might interest some people in this thread. There's a Kickstarter to translate a book with in-depth analysis of the series, and the campaign ends in half an hour. I made a thread here. edit: damn I put the wrong link. Fixed.

Well I don't want to chime in just for this so, more on topic. I still think the intro of the first BioShock is one of the greatest ever made. It works so freaking well. It was the first game I bought on the 360 and I think I'll always remember vividly the start of my first playthrough.
The environments in the first one are my favorites in the series, but BioShock 2 is the one I enjoyed the most. I thought it was better paced (just a bit) and the fights were more fun. I'm in the middle of BioShock 1 and I can't wait to get to the end of the second one to play Minerva's Den again. Though yeah I don't know if I'll play the remaster for Bio 2. Just playing the original for the first time on PC could be good enough.
Also, playing Infinite on PC is gonna feel good I think. I bought the DLCs on 360 but I didn't play them.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

You can proceed to Neptune's Bounty and access the gene bank there and then go back to the Medical Pavilion. Don't go past the gene bank though you won't be able to go back, iirc. I did that so I could equip incinerate plasmid and go back to access the frozen doors.

Gator86

I'm sad they aren't responding to console technical issues

Everything about this collection is kind of depressing. Yeah, they got it to 60fps, but otherwise, it's kind of this

9OzDN.jpg

4 hours lost. Fuck you Bioshock Collection.

Shelved.

I'm sad they aren't responding to console technical issues

Everything about this collection is kind of depressing. Yeah, they got it to 60fps, but otherwise, it's kind of this

9OzDN.jpg

I requested and was granted a refund for my digital copy from Sony support. You guys should give it a whirl. Might be a stretch if you've put in hours but if you stress it's technical issues rather than game preference, might work - that's what I did.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Bio2 question :

Can you return to Ryan Amusements after reaching Pauper's Drop? I am certain I missed the machine gun there and want to go back and get it.

The stuttering is getting out of hand for me. I don't want to finish Bioshock 1 because it was doing it every 4 seconds. Terrible during a Big Daddy fight.

Can someone explain this OP wrench build I keep hearing about for BS1?

I was always kind of derpy in the way I went about plasmids and I think I made the game absurdly difficult for myself towards the end because I just sort of chose shit at random without thinking about synergy. I never ended up finishing as a result.

I haven't started yet (due to the reports of technical issues here in this thread), but I'd like to try and play with an actual build when I do start.

DSmalls84

I was always kind of derpy in the way I went about plasmids and I think I made the game absurdly difficult for myself towards the end because I just sort of chose shit at random without thinking about synergy. I never ended up finishing as a result.

I haven't started yet (due to the reports of technical issues here in this thread), but I'd like to try and play with an actual build when I do start.

Basically just make sure you research all of the enemies fully with the camera and then equip the tonics that boost wrench damage and research damage. It's pretty simple and if you want a more in depth guide plenty are on google.

Invest in whatever tonics you see in the store pertaining to wrenches. You'll find hidden ones by exploring the levels thoroughly. Be sure to check your map to uncover any unexplored areas before leaving the stage. One I believe greatly increases the swing rate of the wrench, another increases the damage in general, then you have one that increases the damage even more when you do a stealthly approach from behind, and lastly, there is one that has the chance to freeze enemies.

Once you have them all combined, it makes minced meat out of the splicers and quick work of the big daddies. Researching enemies with the camera helps a lot as well because of the damage multipliers you gain from it.

Fuchsdh

Research every enemy you come across, and equip tonics like Sportsboost, Wrench Lurker, Machine buster, and the damage boosters. As Foxn says it depends a lot on the tonics so if you aren't familiar with where you get them, you'll want to follow a guide, but it makes the wrench the most effective weapon in the game. You can destroy anything and everything, and you can beat a lot of lone enemies on the back of the head for a 1HK.

It's kind of weird that BS2 is a far more faithful remaster than BS1. While it still has a few missing elements in the water (same issue as BS1) they didn't damage the overall look in the same manner, aside from on occasion making the ruined areas look more "clean" with the higher-fidelity textures.

Dabi

Quite a few actually - water effects are muted, lighting has been changed, fog is less, "wet" textures are gone (to be fair, this is a much criticized aspect of this generation of unreal but fuck - it worked in Bioshock). Played the PS4 version back to back with original PC and it really is quite dramatic how much is missing here.

Again the meat and potatoes of the game is there - but BS1 is a mediocre shooter, a good story, and a truly remarkably wonderful atmosphere - much of which owes to its effects. I can't for the life of me understand how this happened on much more powerful consoles, short of just lazy or severely budget constrained development. Given how Blind Squirrel is behaving by not taking any responsibility, it really could be either.

Damn. Well that's what I get for skipping out on it for all these years lol. Still an amazing game though.

Jombie

Got the platinum on 1, 2 and Infinite. I'm missing one damn trophy from Minerva's Den, but it gives me an excuse to play it again.

jdw_b

Started a playthrough of the whole series on PC, despite having played the first ten minutes of the original Bioshock a million times I never actually carried on and finished the game (I think I just loved that opening water scene).

Just reached Neptune's Bounty and i'm really impressed so far. I think I read a recommendation on here to turn off the navigation arrow so I did just that....it really makes you appreciate the amount of detail in the environment.

I wasn't prepared for the horror elements though, it can be genuinely creepy at times

-SG

Just finished Bioshock 1 for the first time since the original release. Didn't experience anything really negative during my playthrough (no lost saves, glitching, freezing, etc.). Forgot how much I love this game. I'm thinking I will play through all the games once then go back for the higher difficulty trophies.Never played any of the DLC before so I'm hoping that will be good.

I was almost to the end of the last level of Bioshock 2 only to have the damn thing freeze and reset me back to the beginning of the level, so pissed. I've have freezing problems a couple times with Bioshock 2 after I played through the first with no issue.

Jesus I am sick of how drawn out the damn little sister business is in B2. How much different is the ending with saving them? I can't remember. Debating just harvesting to get thru it quicker. What a stupid fucking mechanic.

Toa TAK

Banned
Jesus I am sick of how drawn out the damn little sister business is in B2. How much different is the ending with saving them? I can't remember. Debating just harvesting to get thru it quicker. What a stupid fucking mechanic.
You know you don't have to gather Adam... right?

badnewsbeers said:

Applesauce said:
I am really enjoying Bio2 so far. I absolutely love the new harvesting system compared to Bio1.

This right here really underlines where some folks LOVE Bio 2 and others don't - the Little Sister defense mecahnic really seems to be Marmite, folks like myself love the planning and strategy (and Bio 2 introduced so many new options here to make it great fun), but others really hate it.

For me it's so satisfying planning out where to put plasmid traps, mini turrets etcd, Hypnotise and so forth, and then completing the harvest hardly having to lift a finger!

Jombie

I was majorly bummed when they turned the original distinctive Handyman into a generic bald goon. Made me realize Levine was human after all and capable of being as knuckleheaded as anyone else.

Infinite has some of the most lazy NPC models I've ever seen. It's made worse by the same exact models littered everywhere within feet of each other. I was shocked when I first played and surprised people weren't talking about it.

Top Bottom